Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone received a CJA confirmation programme letter from AIB

Options
  • 03-08-2013 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭

Just got one recently, have been a customer a while, they're looking for more ID photocopies.

Wondering if this is a wideranging thing or if I have done something that marked me out...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Well I found out the other day when I went in to change something that they have no ID on file for me even though I had numerous loans and a CC. Also all the copies of my signature were different to my sample that day!

I had been with them since for 22 years! Seems like no harm in them going through their files.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Think under money laundering act ID and address verification needs to be updated every 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Free Speech

I got a similar letter.
    I rang the AIB and found out that they had destroyed my details and those of approx 10,000 people all of which will be receiving the same letter.
    They are supposed to keep your records for at least 6 years after the termination of the working relationship.
    Obviously after getting an unsolicited letter looking for my details (official looking paper or not) I was suspicious, especially as it asked me to respond to a P.O. box number.
    I rang and they initially tried to fob me off by quoting the money laundering act and that they needed to update the records as a matter of course, but I happen to know about the act and they admitted that the details had been destroyed. They could not say how or why this happened.
    I was then told I could discuss it further at branch level.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

v9iKALl.png

Recently got an ominous sounding letter through the door demanding that I upload my photo ID to an AIB website. Seems that the "Criminal Justice Act 2010" requires that AIB have photo ID and proof of address for all it's customers.

OKkkkkk.

So the implication is surely that AIB DON'T have these things for me(!) and desperately need them.

f56ojlzl.jpg

Then - after about 30 seconds of thinking about this - I noticed a few things.

1. This is a form letter - lots of people are getting these.
    2. AIB has setup a special website for collecting all this "missing" data.
    3. This isn't based out of my local branch, but Clare.

So - I called my local branch - to see how AIB managed to lose my photo ID... or was it stolen... how many people are affected, etc.

I was told that yes AIB didn't have copies of my photo ID (I didn't give them details - I like taking the generic customer approach whenever possible). I was also told that, due to the significant number of problems with accounts, AIB has set up a SPECIAL OFFICE in Clare to track down all the customers with missing info.

xjFzjA9l.jpg

I queried how they'd "lost" my data - they asked how long I'd had the account (5 years) and admitted that they would have taken copies of my photo ID when they set up the account. In other words - they had it - and now they don't.

"They wouldn't ask for it if they had it."

I of course said that I did provide it.

I was told - gotta love this - to WRITE to the Clare office and query their query.

ROFL

Instead I called the Clare office and had a rather infuriating conversation.

ME: Have you lost my ID?
    AIB: Nope. We just don't want to have to contact all the branches and deal with that hassle, so we're sending this to all our customer so they can do the work for us. If you give me your account number though, I'll call your branch and have them send over a copy.
    ME ?!?!
    AIB: In fact we can SEE on the system that you DID provide us with a Photo ID. It's right here in front of me.
    ME?!?!?!

So - I called back my local branch and told them to wise up, that anyone calling about missing data was in fact simply being goaded into helping AIB save money.

"Let me put you on hold for a minute"

"Sorry for the delay - you're right we do have your ID on file - I'll file a complaint for you..."

And what about for the other customers, many thousands, who are now worried about lost data, who are now wasting their time duplicating effort, who are now electronically sending they're data - securely? - to a second location in the VAST AIB database?

So.

If you get one of these letter, do two things:

1. Call the Clare office and tell them to do their job by contacting your branch.
    2. Call your branch and register a complaint.

Maybe next time they'll be more honest, and train their staff a bit better.

LOL - who am I kidding.

I had to get an action done in an AIB branch lately but I had no picture I'd with me so they said they would need to track down a copy of my signature to compare to the sample I gave on the day.

After a few calls 'up stairs' they come back and tell me they can't find a copy of my signature.

I had my account for20 years and signed various loan applications put according to AIB the don't have the documents.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I had to get an action done in an AIB branch lately but I had no picture I'd with me so they said they would need to track down a copy of my signature to compare to the sample I gave on the day.

After a few calls 'up stairs' they come back and tell me they can't find a copy of my signature.

I had my account for20 years and signed various loan applications put according to AIB the don't have the documents.

Amazing.

Fills you with confidence, eh?

I called the Central Bank Consumer protection office, who suggested I call the Data Protection Commissioner, who passed me around a bit, then asked if I'd send a copy of the AIB letter and a statement, to them - by post of course... it's like email wasn't invented.

Anyway, I'll be doing that - because banks shouldn't be telling customer that they lost their data, when they haven't, just to save a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

same **** here, passport id was not accepted ????? (photocopy). letter from Clare it says that I can continue with present bank account but I cant open a new account, I dont want a new account and if I did I would have to bring in all docs again. I going to ignore the dopes. life is too short

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

AIB and other banks dont want you to use tellers in Branches. They want you to use the machines. The AIB are great, but the BOIs are useless. It took me 5 mins to lodge money with one, which would have taken a minute with a teller. BOI only allow cash for coin exchanges with businesses between 10-2 on a tuesday and all day friday. Which I suppose in a year will be restricted even further.

Banks just dont want to see you in person. They want you to only use online banking and crappy machines

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    v9iKALl.png

Recently got an ominous sounding letter through the door demanding that I upload my photo ID to an AIB website. Seems that the "Criminal Justice Act 2010" requires that AIB have photo ID and proof of address for all it's customers.

OKkkkkk.

So the implication is surely that AIB DON'T have these things for me(!) and desperately need them.

f56ojlzl.jpg

Then - after about 30 seconds of thinking about this - I noticed a few things.

1. This is a form letter - lots of people are getting these.
    2. AIB has setup a special website for collecting all this "missing" data.
    3. This isn't based out of my local branch, but Clare.

So - I called my local branch - to see how AIB managed to lose my photo ID... or was it stolen... how many people are affected, etc.

I was told that yes AIB didn't have copies of my photo ID (I didn't give them details - I like taking the generic customer approach whenever possible). I was also told that, due to the significant number of problems with accounts, AIB has set up a SPECIAL OFFICE in Clare to track down all the customers with missing info.

xjFzjA9l.jpg

I queried how they'd "lost" my data - they asked how long I'd had the account (5 years) and admitted that they would have taken copies of my photo ID when they set up the account. In other words - they had it - and now they don't.

"They wouldn't ask for it if they had it."

I of course said that I did provide it.

I was told - gotta love this - to WRITE to the Clare office and query their query.

ROFL

Instead I called the Clare office and had a rather infuriating conversation.

ME: Have you lost my ID?
    AIB: Nope. We just don't want to have to contact all the branches and deal with that hassle, so we're sending this to all our customer so they can do the work for us. If you give me your account number though, I'll call your branch and have them send over a copy.
    ME ?!?!
    AIB: In fact we can SEE on the system that you DID provide us with a Photo ID. It's right here in front of me.
    ME?!?!?!

So - I called back my local branch and told them to wise up, that anyone calling about missing data was in fact simply being goaded into helping AIB save money.

"Let me put you on hold for a minute"

"Sorry for the delay - you're right we do have your ID on file - I'll file a complaint for you..."

And what about for the other customers, many thousands, who are now worried about lost data, who are now wasting their time duplicating effort, who are now electronically sending they're data - securely? - to a second location in the VAST AIB database?

So.

If you get one of these letter, do two things:

1. Call the Clare office and tell them to do their job by contacting your branch.
    2. Call your branch and register a complaint.

Maybe next time they'll be more honest, and train their staff a bit better.

LOL - who am I kidding.

I got this letter too! I am doing nothing, they have my ID on file, they have proof of address on file, they even have my marriage cert which I gave to them 4 years ago, along with the above. Its unreal, they are just a crowd of gombeens who don't know their ars*e from their elbow anymore. I won't be sending in anything, they can check my file again and actually get their facts straight!
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »
    AIB and other banks dont want you to use tellers in Branches. They want you to use the machines. The AIB are great, but the BOIs are useless. It took me 5 mins to lodge money with one, which would have taken a minute with a teller. BOI only allow cash for coin exchanges with businesses between 10-2 on a tuesday and all day friday. Which I suppose in a year will be restricted even further.

Banks just don't want to see you in person. They want you to only use online banking and crappy machines

Same day that I went in to close my account I had to try lodge money into the account so I could close it. A lady asked me would I help her lodge a cheque as there was a staff member helping her but the member was called away. I agreed to as best I could, I had to turn the cheque over to see which way I was feeding it, when I saw the amount this lady was lodging I halted everything and demanded a member of staff helped her lodge the cheque, it had a minimum of 4 zeros.

Some people will never leave a bank, but this banks inability to attract new customers has to be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I received a letter in the post today from my bank (AIB) telling me i have to provide a copy of identification by return post. This is for an account i have had for 25 years. 3 questions :

1. Is this legit?

2. Any idea what has prompted this? is it going to all bank account holders?

3. What happens if i dont comply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I'd say so.

They reviewed their files and discovered they don't have identification for you [mislaid / stripped file / archived etc]

Possibly suspend operations on your account if no compliance within a certain period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I had a recent dispute with them and it was discovered (accidently) that my own ID was also out of date with them. Apparently its some new anti fraud or money laundering law they need to comply with or something.

However, they maintained that I must show up in person with ID, it was not acceptable to send copies by post, fax, email etc...

That was months ago, I have slowly been moving my financial dealings elsewhere as a result of their incompetencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I just got a letter today about the same thing - no photo id on file for me. Yeah, that's because my first bank account with them was opened when I was 7. The letter makes it sound like I've been trying to hide my identity from them.

Funny thing is, from reading the act they reference in the letter (here), it's not entirely clear if this is required for people who were customers prior to 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Beano wrote: »
    I received a letter in the post today from my bank (AIB) telling me i have to provide a copy of identification by return post. This is for an account i have had for 25 years. 3 questions :

1. Is this legit?

2. Any idea what has prompted this? is it going to all bank account holders?

3. What happens if i dont comply?
    Read this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057045790

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP there was a thread on this forum about this a few days ago, I'm on my mobile so I can't link to it.
    As far as I can recall that poster rang the branch only to find out that they did have their documents on file in the branch but it was not sent to the central office. Might be an idea to find that thread and follow suit.

Edit: Gordon got there first with the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Yea I got one a few weeks back and was suspicious for 2 reasons
    1. Return address is PO box in Co. Clare
    2. In the letter they quote a URL that did not exist until last week - www.aib.ie/cja
    (it now re-directs correctly but up to last week it just brought you to the AIB homepage).

I got a follow up letter last week so I decided to email 'alert@aib.ie' asking them if this was a legit letter. That was 5 days ago, I did receive the email received auto reply but as of yet, I have had no reply from them.

Anyway, good to see this thread. It adds a bit of legitimacy to the thing so I will send it back with required docs on Monday morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Ya got one aswell.

• Advertisement

Listen everyone.

They have said to me personally that they ACTUALLY have all this info for mos everyone. They haven't lost anyone's stuff - not 10k people's at least.

They are centralising this info and don't want to spend the money to get this info off the branches - so instead - to save money - they are askin their customers to do THEIR work.

Don't believe me?

Call the Clare office and they can check. They'll say they DO have your details and will simply request the branch send them a copy.

Do it.

Do not do their work for them, especially as they're sending threats to people to simply save a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I'm starting to feel I did the right thing moving away from AIB recently, but before I did I received three of these letters in a four week period, I've always lived at the same address so not sure how they decided to send this letter out three times to me!?

Ziycon wrote: »
    I'm starting to feel I did the right thing moving away from AIB recently, but before I did I received three of these letters in a four week period, I've always lived at the same address so not sure how they decided to send this letter out three times to me!?

They're just junk mail... call the Clare number and make them do their own work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 keystrokesfan

Received this letter on Monday. Took MilanPan!c's advice and -

1. Phoned the centre in Clare to complain
    2. Phoned local branch to complain

I spoke to a very nice man, and asked him why can't I bring the documents to my local branch so that they can photocopy them? He told me I can do that, and they will return my originals immediately, and will send the photocopies to Clare for me. Now, it remains to be seen if this will actually happen, but we can all try, can't we ?

Received this letter on Monday. Took MilanPan!c's advice and -

1. Phoned the centre in Clare to complain
    2. Phoned local branch to complain

I spoke to a very nice man, and asked him why can't I bring the documents to my local branch so that they can photocopy them? He told me I can do that, and they will return my originals immediately, and will send the photocopies to Clare for me. Now, it remains to be seen if this will actually happen, but we can all try, can't we ?

Good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭flahers

Have just received letter from AIB asking me to send in photographic identification and proof of address. Has anyone else received this letter because my husband and friends never got one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

There's another thread on here about it. Just ignore the letter. AIB are asking you to do their job for them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I got it too and had intended on ignoring it, but I tried to apply for a credit card through my online banking and it wouldn't allow me until I was compliant and they had my photo id and proof of address.

I decided to just call into my branch and they did it for me. I was a bit annoyed to find they didn't bother to keep a copy of my marriage cert on file, which I only gave them 3 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

It only takes a few minutes to do online.

http://www.aib.ie/personal/online-services/cja

From what I've been told, although they would have taken copies of your docs previously (as all banks are required by law to do), some of the quality of the copies were of poor (inadequate) quality. As a result, they are trawling through them, and any that are of insufficient quality need to be updated.

Not sure why people think "AIB are asking you to do their job for them." They're just following the law - they are not allowed open accounts for people without holding adequate proof of identity/address etc.

• Advertisement

dotsman wrote: »
    It only takes a few minutes to do online.

http://www.aib.ie/personal/online-services/cja

From what I've been told, although they would have taken copies of your docs previously (as all banks are required by law to do), some of the quality of the copies were of poor (inadequate) quality. As a result, they are trawling through them, and any that are of insufficient quality need to be updated.

Not sure why people think "AIB are asking you to do their job for them." They're just following the law - they are not allowed open accounts for people without holding adequate proof of identity/address etc.

*cough* BS *cough*

They weren't "opening accounts" - the accounts were already open.

They didn't ask for better copies, they said they didn't have copies, and if you didn't give them copies, they'd restrict access to your account - AND - when directly questioned, as we've now seen on multiple occasions, they admit they DO have copies.

So if they DO have copies, why do they need additional copies?

Because they're creating a central location for this info.

And instead of spend money scanning in and collecting copies from all the branches, they reckoned it would be cheaper and easier to simply send bogus threatening letters to their customers.

So...

That's horrid behavior.

Advertisement