Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what make of VDSL2 modem will work with VODAFONE fibre?

• 09-06-2013 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭

It would appear that VF tech support are not going to disclose the PW that will allow us, the end user, access to the settings to allow bridging. I was wondering is there a make of an actual VDSL2 modem I could buy that will work with VF fibre and I can then use my own router?

VF do not give any warning that the modem/router they provide is locked. In fact they keep referring to a MODEM in all the blurb!! I wonder why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They wont be happy with that, the ISPs want people using their own gear to enable vectoring in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭swoofer

I think that's just a ruse, if that was the case then all the providers would use the exact same version and it would be a modem not a gateway. eircom use zyxel, magnet thompson, digiweb use a top notch fritzbox, VF use what I consider to be a very poor piece of kit by Huawei the HG658c. And if they allow bridging I would be happy but VF wont tell us the PW to access settings. eircom's can be bridged.

And I don't see vectoring for a long long time. Lets get fibre working top notch first. And how will we know when its working properly?? Sky will start offering it.

Should have mentioned before, its also cheaper for them from a CS perspective.

thanks ed, wont that VF lose customers? there are some postings by a VF rep on their community indicating they will release pw for bridging but gone very quiet for over 2 weeks.

BT uk send out a modem already bridged!! so figure that, BT 6 million (approx)bb customers as opposed to VF 80k(approx) and locked down.

Most of their customers dont care tbh. They're trying to outprice other ISPs who all have similar costs. If they can save on BB support calls by locking it down they will.

Thats a modem, not a modem/router "gateway". And you cant really compare the Irish market to the british one. In fact, BT here shipped pretty crappy routers before they sold out, to none other than vodafone who are keeping up the budget mantle.

• Advertisement

I know I was one of those ex BT customers who were offered a free month and then sold to VF and you would assume it was a simple case of transferring, no it was a disaster ie a bit like the sky debacle now. the old bt modem was ideal, put in bin and use your own modem/router.

as for tech support if VF were cute they would issue a bridged modem and work as is, no calls to tech support = save a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

What's the firewall like on the Vodafone router, is it a nuisance for P2P users like myself?

oops an error

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bbpete

swoofer wrote: »
    It would appear that VF tech support are not going to disclose the PW that will allow us, the end user, access to the settings to allow bridging. I was wondering is there a make of an actual VDSL2 modem I could buy that will work with VF fibre and I can then use my own router?

VF do not give any warning that the modem/router they provide is locked. In fact they keep referring to a MODEM in all the blurb!! I wonder why?

I'm new to this forum, I have found a good modem as an alternative to the locked down HG658c, I'm using an Asus DSL-N66U, this modem has lots of features for tweaking the vdsl connection. see review http://www.trustedreviews.com/asus-dsl-n66u_Peripheral_review.
    Had initially a few problems but asus tech support is quite good and has helped me get a stable connection using this modem.

well I got some good news for you, VF have seen sense and the latest software update allows the end user to bridge the modem and I have actually done it so know its true.

But are you saying you have ditched the VF modem and using the asus as a standalone? That would be ideal.

How are you going to get round the vectoring update? My understanding is you must use the Huawei??

• Advertisement

well I got some good news for you, VF have seen sense and the latest software update allows the end user to bridge the modem and I have actually done it so know its true.

But are you saying you have ditched the VF modem and using the asus as a standalone? That would be ideal.

How are you going to get round the vectoring update? My understanding is you must use the Huawei??

Yes I am using the Asus as a standalone, this modem is vectoring enabled so it's not a problem. BTW The Asus is not a cheap piece of kit €150 from PC world but I believe you get what you pay for.

Huawei make the cabinets you connect to, but you can use any vectoring compliant unit. Eircom use Zyxel, Vodafone used to use Huawei but are moving to Zyxel too I've heard.

Draytek are a british crowd that make compatible high end units.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

bbpete wrote: »
    Yes I am using the Asus as a standalone, this modem is vectoring enabled so it's not a problem. BTW The Asus is not a cheap piece of kit €150 from PC world but I believe you get what you pay for.

can you link that asus modem you are using here please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Look ^^ - post #10 - http://www.trustedreviews.com/asus-dsl-n66u_Peripheral_review

edit - I suggest you read the user comments posted after the review. The modem may struggle, performance wise, with our 80/20 or 100/20 fibre speeds.

can you link that asus modem you are using here please?

Asus DSL-N66U review - router - Trusted Reviews, there are people saying they have problems with asus tech support, however I can say they have bee very good in my experience. I initially had a few problems but the modem has now been running for 4 days without any issues. Provided you follow their FW upgrade instructions and always restore default values following upgrade and then re-adjust everything works fine.
    There are many tweaks available to improve your download speed that are not there with the stock modem supplied by the isp. hope this helps.

This modem can be bought from PC World at a cost of €150

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

I used their router to bridge with my own router and works like a charm, check this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057006124

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

ED E wrote: »
    Huawei make the cabinets you connect to, but you can use any vectoring compliant unit. Eircom use Zyxel, Vodafone used to use Huawei but are moving to Zyxel too I've heard.

Draytek are a british crowd that make compatible high end units.

I think you heard incorrectly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 -===Lord Shoa =

to get to the bridge and other settings you need to use the username and password below
    username: admin
    password: admin1234

crawler wrote: »
    I think you heard incorrectly :)

actually he is right vodafone do now use rebranded eircom f1000 modems which are made by zyxel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

actually he is right vodafone do now use rebranded eircom f1000 modems which are made by zyxel

Weren't the US a bit paranoid about Huawei gear being like Barrymores pool boy ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Have you a link? Picture? Source?

I think that'd be really interesting to see.

Have you a link? Picture? Source?

I think that'd be really interesting to see.

Not really. The Huawei gear is a chunk better (hasnt got a crippled antenna).

Not really. The Huawei gear is a chunk better (hasnt got a crippled antenna).

Will existing customers get upgraded for free do you think?

So it's the black ZyXEL modem just with Vodafone branding on it?

I like the way on that you can see who's currently connected to your network like device IDs and stuff whereas on the Vodafone modem you only see IP addresses.

No they dont - VF use the Huawei HG658c

crawler wrote: »
    No they dont - VF use the Huawei HG658c

yes they do... they have been using f1000 modems for a bout 2 months now

Have you any proof? What's your source?

Not like I don't believe you but I'm curious to see a black ZyXEL modem with Vodafone branding on it! :P

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Vodafone had to replace my modem a few weeks ago, but it was just another Huawei. Maybe they're just offloading the Huawei's as spares for faulty ones.

byte wrote: »
    Vodafone had to replace my modem a few weeks ago, but it was just another Huawei. Maybe they're just offloading the Huawei's as spares for faulty ones.

When my original modem failed to show up the replacement they gave was the very same.

Box had a different design though.

Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

When my original modem failed to show up the replacement they gave was the very same.

Box had a different design though.

Weird.

How would you know this if the original modem didn't show up? :confused:

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    How would you know this if the original modem didn't show up? :confused:

From others on here.

I went from Sky to Vodafone Fibre so I was super excited.

I basically knew the ins and outs of the modem before I even got it :P

I must be mistaken :D You obviously have inside knowledge on this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mr_D

One recurring requirement is the need for the router to be "vectoring enabled". It seems that the corresponding standard is the ITU-T G.993.5. Interestingly I checked the documentation for VF's Huawei HG658c and this standard is not listed among those implemented (it mentions G.993.1, G.993.2, G.992.1, G992.3, G992.5, T1.413, but no G993.5). The router I was thinking of using to replace the Huawei is the TP-Link TD-W9980 - again, it implements a bunch of ITU-T standards but no mention of G.993.5. Would anyone know how to check if a router is "vectoring enabled" (beside checking for a mention of G.993.5), or if the TP-Link is know to work with VF's e-Fibre?

Thanks,
    Mr_D

Mr_D wrote: »
    One recurring requirement is the need for the router to be "vectoring enabled". It seems that the corresponding standard is the ITU-T G.993.5. Interestingly I checked the documentation for VF's Huawei HG658c and this standard is not listed among those implemented (it mentions G.993.1, G.993.2, G.992.1, G992.3, G992.5, T1.413, but no G993.5). The router I was thinking of using to replace the Huawei is the TP-Link TD-W9980 - again, it implements a bunch of ITU-T standards but no mention of G.993.5. Would anyone know how to check if a router is "vectoring enabled" (beside checking for a mention of G.993.5), or if the TP-Link is know to work with VF's e-Fibre?

Thanks,
    Mr_D

The HG658c is fully vectoring compliant (and tested) and many people here are using with with full vectored speeds.

If you use a non vectoring enabled modem on the network, there is a very high chance your port will be disconnected as you will introduce noise. The "problem" with vectorign is that all devices need to use vectoring - "aliens" on the network make the network sad :)

Unless you are 100% sure vectoring is enabled in both the hardware & software, dont waste your money.

Umif you're buyung your own just go with a draytek. In use with vectored cabs atm, no problems. And a great feature set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Guys, my exchange is currently being upgraded to eFibre (in build phase). I am connected direct to it (no cabinet around or planned).

I have a spare VDSL2 modem (with vectoring) in the house.

Any idea if I will be able to just plug it in when the exchange gets finished or do I need Vodafone to do some hooky pokey on their side?

• Advertisement

You'll still need to be jumpered and most likely have a new NTU fitted. Order as normal and then swap your modem afterwards.

You'll still need to be jumpered and most likely have a new NTU fitted. Order as normal and then swap your modem afterwards.

100% correct

So is it now possible to use your own Vectoring enabled router standalone?

I'm happy with my Vodafone router but I would much prefer my own.

So is it now possible to use your own Vectoring enabled router standalone?

I'm happy with my Vodafone router but I would much prefer my own.

Yep, just gotta be VDSL2 with vectoring and you're good to go. Gotta configure a few bits but its only slightly more complex than ADSL.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/wifi-routers/368968/draytek-vigor-2830n

Thats what you want, but she aint cheap.

Yep, just gotta be VDSL2 with vectoring and you're good to go. Gotta configure a few bits but its only slightly more complex than ADSL.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/wifi-routers/368968/draytek-vigor-2830n

Thats what you want, but she aint cheap.

Good to know, cheers Ed.

I think I'm going to just keep it the way it is.

• Advertisement

Good to know, cheers Ed.

I think I'm going to just keep it the way it is.

Provided you know what you're doing & the modem does not cause interference on the network (Vectoring etc) then you can use your own device...

Vodafone and others though automatically keep firmware etc updated on the device (which usually fixes bugs and security issues if they are ever found) though and also add new services from time to time - you mis sout on this using your own device, plus any support or troubleshooting is also lost.

I guess it comes down to what you are happy with and how techie you are!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bob32

HI im trying to port forwarding on the HG658C canot get it to work any help on this thanks

try this but may not be ideal, will give you the idea.

Advanced menu -> NAT -> Port Mapping -> New
    Type: customization
    Interface: PTM_TR069_VOIP_INTERNET_R_VID_10 (not the default, which is ATM…)
    Protocol: TCP/UDP
    Remote host: (leave blank)
    external start port:xx
    external end port: xx
    internal host: 192.168.1.xx (or whatever you chose at step 4)
    internal port: xx
    mapping name: (any name)

They wont be happy with that, the ISPs want people using their own gear to enable vectoring in the future.

these 4 modems work perfectly on eircom efibre and support vectoring.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-dsl-n66u-concurrent-dual-band-wireless-n900-adsl-router-934D.html

the asus is cheap and also not bad and has wireless AC dual band wifi - strong wifi signal - airplay devices wont work at present needs a firmware update developed

and

http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-dsl-ac68u-dual-band-wireless-ac1900-gigabit-adsl-vdsl-modem-9PP3.html

considerably more expensive wireless ac dual band - good modem - very strong wifi signal - works on FTTH as well

and

http://www.dabs.ie/products/draytek-v2860vnp-draytek-vigor-2860vn-plus-voip-wifi-vdsl-9LKS.html?src=3

this draytek is pricey but extremely good but only has dual band wireless N

and

http://www.dabs.ie/products/draytek-vigor-2760n-adsl-or-vdsl-with-wifi-802-11n-router-8PMQ.html?src=3

this draytek is slightly cheaper but extremely good but only has dual band wireless N

Whats the position with customer support if you use a 3rd party and need troubleshooting assistance from VF? Will they insist that you connect up the original router before they will help?

degsie wrote: »
    Whats the position with customer support if you use a 3rd party and need troubleshooting assistance from VF? Will they insist that you connect up the original router before they will help?

for vf using a 3rd party modem on IPoE encapsulation shouldnt require a password

try these settings

encapsulation: IPoE

VLAN 0 & 10

MTU: 1500

DNS:
    Preferred DNS: 89.19.64.164
    Alternate DNS: 89.19.64.36

these are eircom wholesale's required settings for the cab to allow a vf customer's modem connect

^^^^
    Not sure you get my point. If you are using a 3rd party router and you are having a problem with internet access which you suspect to be on VF's side, when you ring the CS robots they will be working from a script which assumes you are using THEIR router. If you mention you are using a non VF router, will they throw their hands in the air and insist you reconnect the original router for them to move the investigation further? This happens with Sky btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What's the spec of the Vodafone fibre modem? Is it at least N capable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

mad muffin wrote: »
    What's the spec of the Vodafone fibre modem? Is it at least N capable?

Its wireless n but uses internal antennae and is single band only. Gigabit ports though.

I have mine setup in bridge mode since day 1. Initially I was using a basic tp-link router which had better coverage in my house but I recently replaced it with a netgear r7000 and the difference is like night and day; even though none of my gear is wireless ac I am getting good improvements over 2.4ghz band and amazing results with 5ghz. It also helps that none of my neighbors are operating at 5ghz.

I'd be somewhat wary of using a third party modem in case there was a fault on my line or if eircom wholesale applied some unusual vdsl upgrade that required specific firmware for modems.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mr_D

Its wireless n but uses internal antennae and is single band only. Gigabit ports though.

Could you double check this please, I thought this router was only 100MBit capable (all four LAN ports at 100Mbps)? Which model do you have, is it also the Huawei HG658c?

Many thanks,
    Mr_D

• Advertisement
Advertisement