Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what make of VDSL2 modem will work with VODAFONE fibre?

Options
  • 09-06-2013 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭

It would appear that VF tech support are not going to disclose the PW that will allow us, the end user, access to the settings to allow bridging. I was wondering is there a make of an actual VDSL2 modem I could buy that will work with VF fibre and I can then use my own router?

VF do not give any warning that the modem/router they provide is locked. In fact they keep referring to a MODEM in all the blurb!! I wonder why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They wont be happy with that, the ISPs want people using their own gear to enable vectoring in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭swoofer

I think that's just a ruse, if that was the case then all the providers would use the exact same version and it would be a modem not a gateway. eircom use zyxel, magnet thompson, digiweb use a top notch fritzbox, VF use what I consider to be a very poor piece of kit by Huawei the HG658c. And if they allow bridging I would be happy but VF wont tell us the PW to access settings. eircom's can be bridged.

And I don't see vectoring for a long long time. Lets get fibre working top notch first. And how will we know when its working properly?? Sky will start offering it.

Should have mentioned before, its also cheaper for them from a CS perspective.

thanks ed, wont that VF lose customers? there are some postings by a VF rep on their community indicating they will release pw for bridging but gone very quiet for over 2 weeks.

BT uk send out a modem already bridged!! so figure that, BT 6 million (approx)bb customers as opposed to VF 80k(approx) and locked down.

Most of their customers dont care tbh. They're trying to outprice other ISPs who all have similar costs. If they can save on BB support calls by locking it down they will.

Thats a modem, not a modem/router "gateway". And you cant really compare the Irish market to the british one. In fact, BT here shipped pretty crappy routers before they sold out, to none other than vodafone who are keeping up the budget mantle.

• Advertisement

I know I was one of those ex BT customers who were offered a free month and then sold to VF and you would assume it was a simple case of transferring, no it was a disaster ie a bit like the sky debacle now. the old bt modem was ideal, put in bin and use your own modem/router.

as for tech support if VF were cute they would issue a bridged modem and work as is, no calls to tech support = save a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

What's the firewall like on the Vodafone router, is it a nuisance for P2P users like myself?

oops an error

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bbpete

swoofer wrote: »
    It would appear that VF tech support are not going to disclose the PW that will allow us, the end user, access to the settings to allow bridging. I was wondering is there a make of an actual VDSL2 modem I could buy that will work with VF fibre and I can then use my own router?

VF do not give any warning that the modem/router they provide is locked. In fact they keep referring to a MODEM in all the blurb!! I wonder why?

I'm new to this forum, I have found a good modem as an alternative to the locked down HG658c, I'm using an Asus DSL-N66U, this modem has lots of features for tweaking the vdsl connection. see review http://www.trustedreviews.com/asus-dsl-n66u_Peripheral_review.
    Had initially a few problems but asus tech support is quite good and has helped me get a stable connection using this modem.

well I got some good news for you, VF have seen sense and the latest software update allows the end user to bridge the modem and I have actually done it so know its true.

But are you saying you have ditched the VF modem and using the asus as a standalone? That would be ideal.

How are you going to get round the vectoring update? My understanding is you must use the Huawei??

• Advertisement

well I got some good news for you, VF have seen sense and the latest software update allows the end user to bridge the modem and I have actually done it so know its true.

But are you saying you have ditched the VF modem and using the asus as a standalone? That would be ideal.

How are you going to get round the vectoring update? My understanding is you must use the Huawei??

Yes I am using the Asus as a standalone, this modem is vectoring enabled so it's not a problem. BTW The Asus is not a cheap piece of kit €150 from PC world but I believe you get what you pay for.

Huawei make the cabinets you connect to, but you can use any vectoring compliant unit. Eircom use Zyxel, Vodafone used to use Huawei but are moving to Zyxel too I've heard.

Draytek are a british crowd that make compatible high end units.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

bbpete wrote: »
    Yes I am using the Asus as a standalone, this modem is vectoring enabled so it's not a problem. BTW The Asus is not a cheap piece of kit €150 from PC world but I believe you get what you pay for.

can you link that asus modem you are using here please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Look ^^ - post #10 - http://www.trustedreviews.com/asus-dsl-n66u_Peripheral_review

edit - I suggest you read the user comments posted after the review. The modem may struggle, performance wise, with our 80/20 or 100/20 fibre speeds.

can you link that asus modem you are using here please?

Asus DSL-N66U review - router - Trusted Reviews, there are people saying they have problems with asus tech support, however I can say they have bee very good in my experience. I initially had a few problems but the modem has now been running for 4 days without any issues. Provided you follow their FW upgrade instructions and always restore default values following upgrade and then re-adjust everything works fine.
    There are many tweaks available to improve your download speed that are not there with the stock modem supplied by the isp. hope this helps.

This modem can be bought from PC World at a cost of €150

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

I used their router to bridge with my own router and works like a charm, check this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057006124

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

ED E wrote: »
    Huawei make the cabinets you connect to, but you can use any vectoring compliant unit. Eircom use Zyxel, Vodafone used to use Huawei but are moving to Zyxel too I've heard.

Draytek are a british crowd that make compatible high end units.

I think you heard incorrectly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 -===Lord Shoa =

to get to the bridge and other settings you need to use the username and password below
    username: admin
    password: admin1234

crawler wrote: »
    I think you heard incorrectly :)

actually he is right vodafone do now use rebranded eircom f1000 modems which are made by zyxel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

actually he is right vodafone do now use rebranded eircom f1000 modems which are made by zyxel

Weren't the US a bit paranoid about Huawei gear being like Barrymores pool boy ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Have you a link? Picture? Source?

I think that'd be really interesting to see.

Have you a link? Picture? Source?

I think that'd be really interesting to see.

Not really. The Huawei gear is a chunk better (hasnt got a crippled antenna).

ED E wrote: »
    Not really. The Huawei gear is a chunk better (hasnt got a crippled antenna).

Will existing customers get upgraded for free do you think?

So it's the black ZyXEL modem just with Vodafone branding on it?

I like the way on that you can see who's currently connected to your network like device IDs and stuff whereas on the Vodafone modem you only see IP addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

No they dont - VF use the Huawei HG658c

crawler wrote: »
    No they dont - VF use the Huawei HG658c

yes they do... they have been using f1000 modems for a bout 2 months now

yes they do... they have been using f1000 modems for a bout 2 months now

Have you any proof? What's your source?

Not like I don't believe you but I'm curious to see a black ZyXEL modem with Vodafone branding on it! :P

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Vodafone had to replace my modem a few weeks ago, but it was just another Huawei. Maybe they're just offloading the Huawei's as spares for faulty ones.

byte wrote: »
    Vodafone had to replace my modem a few weeks ago, but it was just another Huawei. Maybe they're just offloading the Huawei's as spares for faulty ones.

When my original modem failed to show up the replacement they gave was the very same.

Box had a different design though.

Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

When my original modem failed to show up the replacement they gave was the very same.

Box had a different design though.

Weird.

How would you know this if the original modem didn't show up? :confused:

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    How would you know this if the original modem didn't show up? :confused:

From others on here.

I went from Sky to Vodafone Fibre so I was super excited.

I basically knew the ins and outs of the modem before I even got it :P

Advertisement