Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.3! I want more then that

Options
  • 14-09-2007 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I've heard that you can't drive over a 1.3 if you are under 18 no matter what license you have, can anyone tell me if this is true? And how long should I wait before trying to get insurance on a 2.5 v6 Omega

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I've heard that you can't drive over a 1.3 if you are under 18 no matter what license you have, can anyone tell me if this is true? And how long should I wait before trying to get insurance on a 2.5 v6 Omega

1. Not true, you can drive any car you get insured on. I have heard of 18 year olds driving 2 ltrs but they were paying at least 3k(maybe more) a year in insurance.

2. Depends on how much money you have to pay on insurance, but you should wait a few year unless you are rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

you can drive anything you like,
    ring a few insurance companys and find out how much (if you find one that will quote you) and let us know? i dont think any would take you on but
    insterested to see how much if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

when i was 17 i drove a 2.5 litre Turbo jeep

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

I've heard that you can't drive over a 1.3 if you are under 18 no matter what license you have, can anyone tell me if this is true?

No, but be prepared to pay for the privilege.
    And how long should I wait before trying to get insurance on a 2.5 v6 Omega

Depends on how much you wish to spend on your insurance premium, or if you are a named driver. It would be an utterly pointless car for a 17yo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

rear wheel drive and V6 sounds pretty useful if you're 17

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

colm_mcm wrote:
    rear wheel drive and V6 sounds pretty useful if you're 17

sounds like a death trap to me, putting a 17 year old in a car like that.

strange to say but im glad insurance companies charge the figures they do for a 17 year to drive a car like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

i also drove a 2.3 RWD car when i was 17 :D it was the old mans car but only cost an extra grand on his insurance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 drinkfeckarsegi

Thats a bit discriminating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Actually they do it because young lads are more likely to have accidents, and have a false sense of their own driving abilities, not because they want to discriminate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I've heard that you can't drive over a 1.3 if you are under 18 no matter what license you have, can anyone tell me if this is true?
    Not true.
    And how long should I wait before trying to get insurance on a 2.5 v6 Omega
    A year or five after you learn to drive properly. For some people this never actually happens, for others its when they're 18.

Why do you want to drive a 2.5 V6 Omega?

If your answer is 'so that I can go blasting past everyone else on the road', then you certainly don't know how to drive properly. See above answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Somehow I get the feeling that he doesn't want to blast past everyone else on the road.
    I'm getting more of an incling that he's going to need to fit a wiper to the drivers door window and passenger door window! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Actually they do it because young lads are more likely to have accidents, and have a false sense of their own driving abilities, not because they want to discriminate.

Still discrimination, basing my ability on the category I fall in to. How come when I'm shelling out for health insurance I'm paying for the older more at risk people. Its ok to discriminate for car insurance but not for health.

I don't want to drive the car to boot it around the estate at 2am or blow past everyone, I just like the car for what it is, it has loads of leg room for your legs, its sounds great even just idleing and if I ever have a crash I'll be alright unless a train is involved.

I don't want to drive the car to boot it around the estate at 2am or blow past everyone, I just like the car for what it is, it has loads of leg room for your legs, its sounds great even just idleing and if I ever have a crash I'll be alright unless a train is involved.

Get the 2.0 then....!

Still, if you are going to be shelling out for insurance, an Omega doesn't seem like a worthwhile objective.

Because I already have the 2.5 and my test is coming up in a couple of weeks and then I'll start driving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

sounds like a death trap to me, putting a 17 year old in a car like that.

I've seen 15-17 year olds drive up at Mondello and I would be pretty sure that they'd put you to shame... Prove me wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

if I ever have a crash I'll be alright unless a train is involved.

It has a 3 star Ncap. Nothing to write home about. Size does not equal safety.

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/opel_vauxhall_omega_1998/53.aspx

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

wingnut wrote:
    Still discrimination, basing my ability on the category I fall in to. How come when I'm shelling out for health insurance I'm paying for the older more at risk people. Its ok to discriminate for car insurance but not for health.

No. Health insurance is "community rated".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

They don't give a **** about your 'ability', they are basing the risk of them having to pay out a claim on your insurance on the category you fall into. That's how insurance works.

Stekelly wrote:

Oh ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Stekelly wrote:

I presume thats a 3Star NCAP rating in 1998......on todays NCAP Star rating it would probably rate even lower as the Test is getting harder every couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

You have to think of the cost of taxing and running the thing aswel OP.

Sure it will sound great even when it's idling, it's a v6, but it will be lethal on juice. They're fairly thirsty cars:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

JohnCleary wrote:
    I've seen 15-17 year olds drive up at Mondello and I would be pretty sure that they'd put you to shame... Prove me wrong

In fairness, can you compare a closed supervised track to a road ? I dont think so.

oleras wrote:
    In fairness, can you compare a closed supervised track to a road ? I dont think so.

Indeed. I think what Insurance companies look for is not exactly prowess on the circuit.. quite the opposite if anything.

Exactly you could be shit at racing cars but very careful on the road.

It is possible to squeeze 40mpg out of it. What is meant by mondello is the ability to maintain control over a car in any circumstance

It is possible to squeeze 40mpg out of it. What is meant by mondello is the ability to maintain control over a car in any circumstance

This is true and of course some 17 to 18 year olds will be far better at this then older drivers but it is a proven statistic that younger males are more likely to take risks then younger ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

What is meant by mondello is the ability to maintain control over a car in any circumstance

If you think that driving a car around mondello racing track will give you experience from a road point of view, you are very much mistaken. It might make you good at doing laps. But any circumstance ? Fog, Rain, Dawn, Dusk, loose stones ? other cars coming against you ? I think you have spent too much time on the playstation and are confusing gran tourismo with real life...... Pity us drivers never have a need to "drift" around roundabouts...:D

oleras wrote:
    If you think that driving a car around mondello racing track will give you experience from a road point of view, you are very much mistaken. It might make you good at doing laps. But any circumstance ? Fog, Rain, Dawn, Dusk, loose stones ? other cars coming against you ? I think you have spent too much time on the playstation and are confusing gran tourismo with real life...... Pity us drivers never have a need to "drift" around roundabouts...:D
    OK I'll agree with you there other traffic is a problem. But how is that a proven statistic, my older sister has had a full license for over 10 years and so has one of the cheapest quotes but would, without hesitation drive over 120 miles, so is it just a matter of predjudice or just if your lucky enough not to get caught speeding.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It is possible to squeeze 40mpg out of it... circumstance

Nope. Low 30's mpg on a run perhaps. A lot less in urban driving.

Advertisement