Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teachers behave like children at their conferences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Wow!
    I am so surprised!
    Another teacher bashing thread?! On AH?! What?! This cannot be!

NOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Boombastic wrote: »
    not knowing the learning styles and interests of the pupils, not individualising the lessons to meet the needs of their pupils...

There's more to it than that I'm afraid. Learning supports for students with special needs have been cut, including SNAs in classrooms, learning resource hours, funding for additional supports such as computers, adjusted texts etc.

The disadvantaged have the same raw deal in terms of lack of facilities and cuts etc. Students who are struggling often won't qualify for additional supports because the money isn't there...

If you've a class of 26 students managed by one teacher, who in turn has six more classes that day to prep for, and there are six students with SEN, two with anti-social behavioural tendencies, a foreign student and the rest vary widely in ability, it becomes virtually impossible for the teacher to meet the needs of every individual student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

What does it matter what the pupils' interests are if you are trying to teach them a certain topic & they have no more interest than the man in the moon?

How much time in a 40 minute lesson would you devote to 1 student who's been causing disruption when there are 29 others in the class who need attention?

beat it in to them

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differentiated_instruction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Fantastic rebuttal.....

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    There's more to it than that I'm afraid. Learning supports for students with special needs have been cut, including SNAs in classrooms, learning resource hours, funding for additional supports such as computers, adjusted texts etc.

The disadvantaged have the same raw deal in terms of lack of facilities and cuts etc. Students who are struggling often won't qualify for additional supports because the money isn't there...

If you've a class of 26 students managed by one teacher, who in turn has six more classes that day to prep for, and there are six students with SEN, two with anti-social behavioural tendencies, a foreign student and the rest vary widely in ability, it becomes virtually impossible for the teacher to meet the needs of every individual student.

why is the teacher preping for classes which are occurring that day? thats very disorganised.

• Advertisement

why is the teacher preping for classes which are occurring that day? thats very disorganised.

You're clutching at straws there now

Fantastic rebuttal.....

you don't believe in differentiated learning, or you didn't click the link??

i'm not clutching at straws

:O Where did I say that?

I don't think you realise how much time it takes to prepare for a lesson and organise learning resources as well as draw up differentiated worksheets etc.

I don't need to click the link.
    My degree in teaching contained a lot of modules on the very topic.

It's not something to believe in, it's a way of teaching.

:-O Where did I say that?

I don't think you realise how much time it takes to prepare for a lesson and organise learning resources as well as draw up differentiated worksheets etc.

Why because you think i'm not a teacher? great rebbuttal

• Advertisement

Why because you think i'm not a teacher? great rebbuttal

Right... so you're not going to point out where I said the teacher would be prepping on the day then?

Well if you're not a teacher, then yeah I would think you don't.

I merely replied to your criticism of my post btw, so no need for sarcasm. Your rebuttal isn't exactly ground-breaking stuff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

They can be sacked but it is very rare and very difficult when that teacher is unionised. I would say most that are sacked are for other "dodgier" reasons than performance.
    And you know this how?Do you have insider access you'd like to share??

"ViveLaVie wrote: »

If you've a class of 26 students managed by one teacher, who in turn has six more classes that day to prep for....
    so yeah....

so yeah....

Yeah preparations like printing, marking, checking the PPs etc, the lesson schemes and plans would have been done well in advance. Anyway it was a hypothetical example which you seemed to take extremely literally.

Yeah preparations like printing, marking, checking the PPs etc, the lesson schemes and plans would have been done well in advance. Anyway it was a hypothetical example which you seemed to take extremely literally.

you were using 'having other classes to prep for' as an excuse as to why a teacher may find it impossible to differenciate lessons ?? Can you clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well I support the teachers in this instant but I had numerous teachers who simply didn't teach. 10 years on every one of them is still there not teaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Yes I have, share no. I will get you the exact number soon, I am expecting a low number.

you were using 'having other classes to prep for' as an excuse as to why a teacher may find it impossible to differenciate lessons ?? Can you clarify?

I was implying that teachers simply don't have enough time to differentiate everything for several different students in every single class. Lessons would need to be differentiated for each student depending on their individual needs.

I gave that specific example to show how many different students in each class might need differentiated resources, which would include Power Points, texts, visuals, worksheets etc for each lesson and considering the cutbacks on SNAs and Learning Support, it's made even harder.

Also, you may not be aware but schools and consequently teachers actually aren't allowed to differentiate exams and assessments for students who don't qualify for the same accommodations in State Examinations. And with the cuts in funding, fewer students qualify than ever before, with the result that many students who require supports are denied them. So, the problem is a structural one within the system.

Yes I have, share no. I will get you the exact number soon, I am expecting a low number.

6 /60000 dismissals known about, for misconduct not professional competence

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/0616/ireland/schools-fire-six-teachers-for-misconduct-197671.html

Does that surprise you given:
    It's a Garda Vetted job
    It's now more competitive than ever to actually get a job

??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,016 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

LorMal wrote: »
    Nah - you're a teacher - your're infallible and you know it all. Get to the Top of the Class.
    Sorry for suggesting that you might be assessed in your job like the rest of the human race.

So... Why did you post in thread then...?

(And no, not a teacher)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

It's a Garda better job
    It's now more competitive than ever to actusly get a job

??

:)

what?

:)

what?

Auto correct..

It's a Garda Vetted job
    It's now more competitive than ever to actually get a job ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

To be honest, I know rubbish teachers and very little CAN be done unfortunately.
    But we shouldn't focus on the very small minority. Rubbish workers exist in every job. Or is it just because the government pay our wages that we are seen as public meat and that the average Joe Soap has some sort of 'rights' over us??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Yes a few teachers did behave like children at the conference .. It's terrible alright.

But look what it's started! People are listening .. the game is up for Ruairi Quinn.

1 Cheers for MegaphoneHoldingASTIGuy ( - 2 for being Rude). Without him we wouldn't be having this wonderful debate on the demise of education in Ireland. While Ruairi is still banging on about Honours maths in Primary School (look where honours Irish requirement got us!), Religion and oh yess the most crucial of all issues.. school uniforms.

Meanwhile, we're jamming our kids into overcrowded classrooms with part time teachers who get less than the dole.. Like, it's not even a real job right!! Cos if it were then all the men would be doing it according to Ruairi.

Ya what the country really needs is differential calculus for 8 year olds. There's the real issue right there folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

6 /60000 dismissals known about, for misconduct not professional competence

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/0616/ireland/schools-fire-six-teachers-for-misconduct-197671.html

Thank you. I actually thought it was less but I knew it was misconduct and not "performance" related.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I know one of the cases actually. It was very close to jail time (as in 3 months sentence given, later appealed). Prior to that there was 2 years of absenteeism. Last time I heard they were on suspension though, not sure if they were actually dismissed.

Sorry but can someone explain why such emphasis is placed on leaving cert results? A teacher goes to college so surely their college results would be more relevant?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Have you heard of the Teaching Council?? It's a myth that under performing teachers cannot be sacked, don't believe all you read in the Indo.
    And OECD figures will show that most professions are paid more here than in say ,Turkey.

How many teachers therefore have been let go because of poor performance say the past 10 years?
    They are also paid more than in wealthier countries say France, Italy and Germany….

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    How many teachers therefore have been let go because of poor performance say the past 10 years?
    They are also paid more than in wealthier countries say France, Italy and Germany….

I would love to know this as my teachers didn't care one bit whether we got to college or not. Some even told us college wasn't for us.

Advertisement