Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Story (Wii)

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

got mine from Amazon today \o/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The metal case you get with limited ed,is there suppose to be sum thing in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

The metal case you get with limited ed,is there suppose to be sum thing in that?

Dont think so, seems like a case to put the main game into along with the soundtrack. Seems kinda odd alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Complete waste TBH, had no idea why the box was empty and was trying to figure out why my second disc was missing :pac:

Still really enjoying the game though. Actually glad they're focusing on 'setpiece' dungeons over typical dungeon crawls. Keeps things interesting. Looking at this as a traditional JRPG is going in with the wrong mindset. It's a successful attempt at trying something different, while retaining the general tone and feeling of the Square Enix games of the 1990s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

For anyone interested:

Looks good, pity I don't have a wii. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mine arrived. Now to finish phantasy star 2, Xenoblade and Zelda :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Solez

Not holding my breath here, but anyone know where I could get a copy of this in Cork?

Solez wrote: »
    Not holding my breath here, but anyone know where I could get a copy of this in Cork?

game maybe or hmv? I don't think gamestop were stocking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

For those looking, Tesco in Merrion, Dublin have five or six copies at €44.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Picked it up in Gamestop Henry St. today, HMV had a copy too I think. Haven't started playing yet, I should probably finish Xenoblade first...

• Advertisement

Picked it up in Gamestop Henry St. today, HMV had a copy too I think. Haven't started playing yet, I should probably finish Xenoblade first...

heh me too :o I'm stuck on a boss though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KalEl88

They had a lot of copies in Gamestop in Pana.

Mine wouldn't work on my Wii as it's a dual layer disk! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭spookymuffin

Gamestop Clare Hall have a few copies as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

For people who have gotten far, is griding required? I read a review that hinted there is no need to grind.

PS: I'm only after arriving in the town so NO SPOILERS!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

KalEl88 wrote: »
    They had a lot of copies in Gamestop in Pana.

Mine wouldn't work on my Wii as it's a dual layer disk! :(

Hang on, what?

Some games don't work on some Wiis?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

danthefan wrote: »
    Hang on, what?

Some games don't work on some Wiis?

Nope. If your DVD drive is knackered then the first sign of it going is that it can't read DVD9 games. It was a problem with the PS2 as well. Just bad manufacturing. I'm pretty sure nintendo said they would repair consoles with this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

For people who have gotten far, is griding required? I read a review that hinted there is no need to grind.

PS: I'm only after arriving in the town so NO SPOILERS!!

None so far for me..

Up to Chapter 16 or so.. Toons are level 20.. played about 5 hours..
    Game is overly simple and way to linear..

It's nice, but for me.. not a patch on Xenoblade.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Played just under 3 hours so far, and it's pretty good. Nothing amazing, but the combat system is interesting. The graphics are very poor at times though, and the animations are awful. While it is the Wii, Xenoblade looks a hell of a lot better. Not really got any idea whats going on with the story so far, but it is very early days.

Still though, I'm enjoying it overall, and will keep playing. I can however see myself getting distracted by something else, like ME3.

I need to stop expecting another FFIX everytime another Japanese JRPG come out.

FFVII, FFVIII and FFIX in a couple of years in a row, that was special. All top class JRPG's, the yardstick for all quality JRPG's IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

FFVII, FFVIII and FFIX in a couple of years in a row, that was special. All top class JRPG's, the yardstick for all quality JRPG's IMO.

The one-two of Persona 3 and 4 was even more brilliant than that inconsistent trilogy you listed (FFVIII being the weak-link)!

Combat system is really coming alive in The Last Story, and I'm around 5 or 6 hours in (really haven't had any time to commit, alas). The way the magic / buffing system works is especially interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Is VII really as good as people say, or are the rose-tinted specs in place? I started trying to play it a few years back (missed it first time round) but I couldn't get past the graphics (at times it was like looking at randomly assembled polygons and suddenly realising that it's supposed to be a person!) and the dreaded random battles. If there is ever a remake I'll probably give it another shot.

There's a strong FFVI is better argument (in before retr0), and there's certainly a rose-tinted glasses effect, but there's definitely something about FFVII most JRPGs have failed to recapture. Maybe it's the memorable characters (barring an angsty protagonist). Perhaps it's that there's a ludicrous amount of high quality stuff to do (still found new stuff on my third youthful playthrough). And maybe it's because the soundtrack is almost without equal. But yes: it is a very good game indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭lasersquad

Derailing even further, I`d say main thing about FF7 was the moment in time. Released on next-gen console with transition to 3D, CD quality soundtrack and these gorgeous FMVs it simply blew everyone away on these strengths and sold the not-so-popular genre to many.

Personally I don`t really dig its story so much, this is the hysterical/over-the-top Square side that isn`t my cup of tea. Prefer FF 8/10/6/4 (nevermind Megaten/DQ universes) Still, a stellar title, no doubt.

I'm just under 4 hours into the Last Story at the moment. I've gotten to difficulty +10 in the arena.

Just before
    the party have to provide security at the royal castle.
    Saying that i'm 4 hours in, the only mission i've done since entering town is get the medicine for the sick boy.

I've a load of gil from the arena, and the gnomes can upgrade your weapons at the upgrade shop. I say I could win another couple of battles at the arena still, but it's getting repetetive at this stage.

I've never played beyond my last post, dunno why. It's just not very appealling.

I've never played beyond my last post, dunno why. It's just not very appealling.

well thats a pity

Just finished the game. It's an odd one. Story is all over the shop, the voice acting is bizarre and overall it just feels incomplete in a few regards. But I still really enjoyed it. The combat system really blossoms in the last few hours. I wouldn't call it 'difficult' but the final batch of bosses are intense. The buff / debuff system is particularly ingenious. There are a handful of fights where I won while not really understanding what happened, but most of the time you can really get into the swing of it and it's a thing of mad beauty.

Far from a great game, but it has enough interesting ideas to make it sit above the average, even if it's not a game I can ever see myself revisiting.

Advertisement