Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.3! I want more then that

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I've heard that you can't drive over a 1.3 if you are under 18 no matter what license you have, can anyone tell me if this is true? And how long should I wait before trying to get insurance on a 2.5 v6 Omega

So you're under 18 and bleating about the injustice of not being able to insure a 2.5 V6...

Man these Celtic Tiger puppies don't know how good they have it. In my day you'd be lucky to have a Toyota Starlet under your ar5e at that age.:D

In fairness the Omega doesn't sound like a boy-racer special although I assume the RWD is part of the appeal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Altreab wrote:
    I presume thats a 3Star NCAP rating in 1998......on todays NCAP Star rating it would probably rate even lower as the Test is getting harder every couple of years.

I have reason to believe that the test is harder depending on the size of car, a car like the Omega with 3 stars is safer than a car like the Fiesta with 3 stars. By that I mean they make it harder for an Omega to get 3 stars than say a Fiesta or something.

When it comes to crashes, I'd always rather be in something big with a big gap between the crumple zones and you, rather than a small car, where the back seats are usually just in front of the crumple zones in a like for like comparison(eg both cars had 6 airbags, say).

They did make the test harder about 6 years ago, when they introduced the 5 stars idea. They have mad the pedestrian test harder too, I think this was done about 4 years ago.

They are meant to be changing the test again, and bringing in a 6th star. They are talking about introducing a whiplash test(a rear end crash), and there is talk about introducing an active safety test(both of these ideas should have been introduced a long time ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

my older sister has had a full license for over 10 years and so has one of the cheapest quotes but would, without hesitation drive over 120 miles.

i have been known to do 250 miles (dublin and back) all in the one day !! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 drinkfeckarsegi

Your right, the omega is not a boy racer special nor is the Rwd the reason.
    And as regards the celtic tiger, that omega with a rare manual, 54k and brilliant finish cost, believe it or not 1800 euro :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

oleras wrote:
    If you think that driving a car around mondello racing track will give you experience from a road point of view, you are very much mistaken. It might make you good at doing laps. But any circumstance ? Fog, Rain, Dawn, Dusk, loose stones ? other cars coming against you ?
    Lol, I did the clubman course in Mondello a couple of months ago (complete rip-off btw) and had a complete block when it came to accelerating through corners. There was a corner of my mind screaming every time 'watch out for pedestrians'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I don't want to drive the car to boot it around the estate at 2am or blow past everyone, I just like the car for what it is, it has loads of leg room for your legs, its sounds great even just idleing and if I ever have a crash I'll be alright unless a train is involved.

I have a 2L Omega (140 bhp) which is more than adequate power wise. Don't forget that anything over 2L is going to cost a lot more in road tax as well as insurance. Yes I would agree its a pretty strong car if you ere unlucly enough to be in a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Stekelly wrote:
    It has a 3 star Ncap. Nothing to write home about. Size does not equal safety.

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/opel_vauxhall_omega_1998/53.aspx

Its rating is 4star Ncap if side airbags are fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

mate enjoy de 2.5 v6 while ur young b4 a mortgage

quinn direct offered me insurance on a 4l supercharged jag when i was 19 so i assume they will offer it to u now on a 2.5 v6 at 17

if not go down de route of being a named driver on the car. get insured under a parents name using there full no claims and then get dem to insure their own car wit a new policy wit no no-claims.. they shouldn't mind this 2 much if you agree to pay the increase in their policy... worked really well for a friend of mine... insured on a 2.0l petrol since 19 n only cost €650 this year!!!

however ur mpg figures are a bit off de wall ;) drivin a 2.0l petrol at de mo myself n urban gets round 27 n on a trip 35 mpg at best

btw ur tax will be mentally expensive on dat

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They'll be pissed if there's a claim against you, as it will be their no-claims that disappears.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

lassykk wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Argggghhhh! Text speak! :mad:

What you are suggesting on the insurance might be a good idea, but may be dodgy.

There will be a question on the proposal form asking "are you the main driver?"

If this (or any other question) is answered incorrectly & deliberately, the cover is potentially voidable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

my apologies for the text speak i was posting from my phone when i was waiting in a long queue.
    There will be a question on the proposal form asking "are you the main driver?"

it is a difficult one to prove though. i know they can ask people who they see driving the car most frequently, etc but it would not be conclusive proof one way or the other. I know this person has successfully claimed on his insurance and he was driving the car at the time of the accident in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I've heard that you can't drive over a 1.3 if you are under 18 no matter what license you have, can anyone tell me if this is true? And how long should I wait before trying to get insurance on a 2.5 v6 Omega

You can drive a Ferrari if you can afford it.

But a 1.3 will kill you just as good as a 2.5 v6

hell, who cares just accelerate.....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

lassykk wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

I agree it's not that easy to proove.

If the potential claim was big enough however you can be sure a claims investigator would be assigned.

Insurance fraud in various forms, be it lies, half truths or whatever, is huge and the Insurers are well aware of it.

Something I find odd in the Irish psyche is the attitiude of "good luck if you get away with it". The reality is that insurance fraud is actually paid for by other motorists in higher premiums, and not some faceless Insurer who are making megabucks.

Irish insurers lost a fortune in claims on motor business for many years, relying on investment returns to remain even marginally profitable.

Ultimately competition will keep prices at reasonable levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Id say just stick with the 1.3 for a year or two, save the money and get something nice then.
    Youll save money on insurance and tax aswell as getting a 1-2 years "provisonal" NCB which should make something like a 1.6 or 1.9TDI around 1k to insure.
    Until then drive at the redline, should make lots of noise/gulp petrol if thats what you're after!

If the Omega is in such a good shape, sell it and make a profit.

Advertisement