Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing Structure in Ireland

Options
  • 27-04-2015 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Over the last few months of Racing in Ireland is it time to look at the structure of Racing in Ireland?

I believe it is, but it’s a massive task and one that I feel is so important for the future of Irish Cycling.

I believe that there are numerous issues.

Ok here we go CAN and WORMs.

Grading is the major issue and lack of numbers in the A1 and Junior ranks is one area.

Juniors are racing with A3’s and whilst recently they are not walking away with the prizes they are still talking up points.

In a National series race this weekend we had the A1/A2/A3 riders all off together, not enough A1 and A2 riders, not one placing for an A3 rider so no points awarded. Everyone in the Country must have gone to Bohermeen. I believe that if there are not enough A1/A2 riders and they need A3 riders to make the race for them, at least give them a handicap if there are no prizes for them, or if they have to race with the A1/A2 at least give the first 3 A3 riders a prize and the points.

I recently heard an A1 rider ask on social media that should A3 riders when racing against A1 riders they should not be given a handicaps. Is this a Valid point?

Are these some of the reasons we have massive numbers when it comes to A3 races?

I’m an A3 /Vet rider and the general consensus I’m getting from talking to lads at events is that a lot don’t want to race with A1s and fear getting upgraded. This is generally coming from lads who have raced at that level before and know the standard you have to be at and the dedication required.

I just wanted to highlight how complicated it is and everyone will have different ideas on how things should be.

I believe racing is the heart and soul of cycling in Ireland, if we lose that how will things fair out for Cycling Ireland when the sportive boom comes to an end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jack Joll

Can of Worms! This has been done so many times, dont know are CI listening to the majority of their members. It's clear something has to be done to make the cat's stronger. Althugh I have no problem testing myself against the A1-A2's or the juniors, it does appear that the majority of races are turning that way...in Connacht at least.
    A number of issues I see every weekend and possible solutions, A4 lads who've just been upgraded to A3, continue on there A4 trend, sit in the bunch and are just happy to get home. A3's who just constantly chase evrything down and thn just sit on your wheel.
    And this not only goes for A4's only up, races have gone with juniors getting up the road, 8 CI points available are gone and the whole bunch sits back - clearly theres something wrong with this.

So fixing the issue, the ultimate is to make A1 & A2 cats stronger and increase membership, currently there must be only 200-300 in A1 and similar A2. And atleast 3000 in the lower ranks.
    A4's climb upto A3 too easily, there points should be increased to 20-30, this will give them more experience as the cat is supposed to.
    Possibly split the A3's into a A3.a which would be strong A3's + jnr, then A3.b lads not strong enough for the jnr and A4 upgrades.
    To help the jnr's, allow them to upgrade to A2, but when they reach 30 points if your good enough let them race at the highest level.
    The bigger picture is trying to get a good representation in the A1's & A2's, at the minute A2 seems to be a no mans land not enough numbers to have there own race. Once you upgrade from A3 they may as well give you your A1 licence as your racing with A1's anyways.

So theres alot of field for thought, however I think this topic will still be going on in 5years time. And nothing will have changed!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,541 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If posters want to resurrect the Juniors (or indeed vets) in A3 issue, please use the Megathread on the topic. I am leaving this thread separate as the OP appears to be making a wider point about the overall racing structure in Ireland. Any questions, drop me a PM

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,541 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

not sane wrote: »
    I believe racing is the heart and soul of cycling in Ireland, if we lose that how will things fair out for Cycling Ireland when the sportive boom comes to an end.
    I disagree entirely with this. Racers make up a very small minority of cyclists in Ireland. Even within CI they represent perhaps 20% or so of the membership. If you go back a few years, yes there were less sportives, but equally there were a lot less racers. Both leisure and racing sides of cycling have been enjoying a massive boom in recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Mixing it with the Juniors is great preparation for riding A1/A2, the bottleneck at A3 would be better served by making it harder to get out of A4, or even disperse the average Joe riders more evenly between A3 and A4. I'd even allow regrading to A4 at the end of the season for those A3s who don't aspire to be A2/A1.

Since promoters are already at the pin of their collar to put on the number of races that they are I think A4 should be reassessed to not be a transient beginners group but an actual proper grade. Obviously there may be one or two who will take the p!ss if mass regrading was allowed but these could be spotted handy enough.

The fact is the vast majority of riders are A3/A4 level, finding a way to shunt them up the categories to be fodder for the A1s is not the solution, finding a way to accomodate them more safely and sportingly might be.

Advertisement