Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Are You Watching / Last Match, Event or Documentary You Saw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

And what's worse is that they brought in Hogan, Hall, Nash, Goldberg, Bischoff, Flair and Steiner at a later stage anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

And what's worse is that they brought in Hogan, Hall, Nash, Goldberg, Bischoff, Flair and Steiner at a later stage anyway.

They could, their contracts and subsequent guaranteed money were up.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    They could, their contracts and subsequent guaranteed money were up.

But all of them must have realised (WWF included) that if the big names kick started the Invasion it would have earned them a lot more than their Time Warner contracts.

But all of them must have realised (WWF included) that if the big names kick started the Invasion it would have earned them a lot more than their Time Warner contracts.

We keep having this discussion!
    At the end of the day it's.

Free money for sitting on your ass to do nothing.
    A bit more money to go on the road and go back to work.

I know what i'd pick. :D

A bit more money to go on the road and go back to work.

But it would have been more than just a bit more money, just look at the Invasion PPV, that didn't have the most star power on it and it was one of their most successful non-big four PPV's ever. Imagine how much more money was to be earned with the bigger names and those bigger names would have been handsomely paid for it.

But it would have been more than just a bit more money, just look at the Invasion PPV, that didn't have the most star power on it and it was one of their most successful non-big four PPV's ever. Imagine how much more money was to be earned with the bigger names and those bigger names would have been handsomely paid for it.

Morale would have been in the toilet. WWE was already going through a major setback with the Rock leaving to do another movie during that period. If they had brought back in Hogan, Hall & Nash, Goldberg etc, there would have been quite a number of unhappy campers who wouldn't have been impressed.

Hell, Austin walked cos he was stuck in a midcard program with Hall a few months later. Trust me, there was no way Vince was going to risk that in 2001 when HHH was out, Rock was out, Angle seriously injured, and Austin on the border of being utterly fed up.

So basically, as always in wrestling, egos got in the way.

To post on topic I've been slowly sifting through TNA iMPACT! starting from when they got on Spike (October 1st 2005 to December 17th so far) and I've got to say Monty Brown was great fun to watch. His promo while interrupting Christian's iMPACT! debut was brilliant. I still think TNA should have pushed him to the moon. Some of the X-Division stuff back then (which fair enough I've seen a lot of it before) was brilliant back in the days of the Styles/Daniels/Joe feud.

I also noticed that anytime TNA made a major acquisition the mainstays there always beat down the newcomers in a dominating fashion (like Planet Jarrett laying out Team 3D (which led to the hilarious Team 3D funeral when James Storm finally came into his own) and Monty laying out Christian with a Pounce (a great Pounce too)). I found that an interesting contrast to these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭deanodrummer

Just finished watching The Definitive Ric Flair Collection. Decent set, I enjoyed it. Not as much as The Ultimate Collection but didn't expect it to be. The match with Triple H at Taboo Tuesday was quality, as was the one with Sting at Clash 1, and the 2 outta 3 Falls with Kerry Von Erich. Not a bad match on it really.

Having watched a load of Flair matches in a row I noticed a distinct formula that kinda took away from my enjoyment. Alot of the same moves, spots, and basic match progression. *awaits bashing from Flair fans*

And the Flair flop is one of the most annoying things I've ever seen.

Having watched a load of Flair matches in a row I noticed a distinct formula that kinda took away from my enjoyment. Alot of the same moves, spots, and basic match progression. *awaits bashing from Flair fans*

And the Flair flop is one of the most annoying things I've ever seen.

Flairs run from 2002-2008 is often considered a nostalgia trip in the minds of old school fans, however he was able to make it more than that, but not always. His matches are very much the same formula, but thats what puts asses in the seats, draws buys, sells tickets, etc. It worked for Hogan, Savage, Bret, Austin, Rock and even to this day with Cena.

And if you think Flair's flop is annoying, you should see Valentines!

• Advertisement

Flairs run from 2002-2008 is often considered a nostalgia trip in the minds of old school fans, however he was able to make it more than that, but not always. His matches are very much the same formula, but thats what puts asses in the seats, draws buys, sells tickets, etc. It worked for Hogan, Savage, Bret, Austin, Rock and even to this day with Cena.

And if you think Flair's flop is annoying, you should see Valentines!

I actually don't mind Valentine's that much. At least he doesn't do a full-on walk before falling on his mush.

I know what you mean about formulas but watching them all in a row it really stands out. I would actually prefer to watch Bret or Austin or HBK than Flair. He had some amazing matches though, and the one at WrestleWar with Steamboat is prob the best I've ever seen. Sometimes it seems like people say he's the best of all time by default or something though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Sometimes it seems like people say he's the best of all time by default or something though.

He's not even top five for me.

Hogan is undisputed king, with Austin pushing him close.

After that comes your pick of Shawn, Savage, Steamboat, DiBiase, Rock, Angle and Bret.

*This only includes primarily American based wrestlers.

I actually don't mind Valentine's that much. At least he doesn't do a full-on walk before falling on his mush.

I know what you mean about formulas but watching them all in a row it really stands out. I would actually prefer to watch Bret or Austin or HBK than Flair. He had some amazing matches though, and the one at WrestleWar with Steamboat is prob the best I've ever seen. Sometimes it seems like people say he's the best of all time by default or something though.

You must have really hated the Macho Madness VHS if you ever saw it, especially with all the Savage/DiBiase matches on it.

Agreed on Wrestlewar 89, their best match out of the three, although Chi Town Rumble comes very close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

After that comes your pick of Shawn, Savage, Steamboat, DiBiase, Rock, Angle and Bret.

how is your ranking system worked??

you have great workers in along with great entertainers, seems a strange mixture

I only really follow US wrestling too.

Hogan? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,162 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Honestly if they were involved in the invasion angle with the WWE main eventers could you imagine the insane amount of politics that Vince would have had to deal with?!
    The invasion angle was a failure but it did give us one of Heyman's most memorable moments, his semi shoot on Vince...

• Advertisement

Ah yes the infamous "shoot" that wasn't a shoot at all, it was all scripted from the word go. It was as much of a shoot as Russo's "shoot" at Bash At The Beach 2000.
    The ECW marks ate it up though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,162 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Flairs run from 2002-2008 is often considered a nostalgia trip in the minds of old school fans, however he was able to make it more than that, but not always. His matches are very much the same formula, but thats what puts asses in the seats, draws buys, sells tickets, etc.
    I rewatched his TLC match with Edge the other day and it is still bloody awesome, easily apart from the Mania match last year, Flair's best match in the last five years.
    Ah yes the infamous "shoot" that wasn't a shoot at all, it was all scripted from the word go. It was as much of a shoot as Russo's "shoot" at Bash At The Beach 2000.
    The ECW marks ate it up though. :)

Yeah I knew that but it was still awesome stuff and done a good job in hyping what turned out to be a very ordinary PPV in the end.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Was his TLC match with Edge on that?, because it is the best match he done in the last five years outside the Mania match with Michaels.

Nope, it's on their Ladder match DVD so that's probably why, they tend to avoid repeating matches on their DVD's where possible.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I rewatched his TLC match with Edge the other day and it is still bloody awesome, easily apart from the Mania match last year, Flair's best match in the last five years.

I still can't believe that was a year ago now. I still rate his matches with HHH over his one with HBK last year.
    Yeah I knew that but it was still awesome stuff and done a good job in hyping what turned out to be a very ordinary PPV in the end.

Yeah, it was well done, obviously as people still talk about it to this day, while Russo's BATB "shoot" was somewhat forgettable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Watched Chi Town Rumble from 1989 last night. I was blown away by how good it was top to bottom. This is theb kinda wrestling I can watch all night: good workers all over the card, long matches, no bullsh*t backstage crap and great strong promos the whole way throught. The NWA roster was unreal at that stage: Michael Hayes, young Sting and Luger, Steiners, Road Warriors, Steve Williams, Mike Rotundo, Barry Windham, Flair, Steamboat. Pure quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

^^^
    I've never watched that whole card, but it does look awesome, like much of their stuff about then. It's a shame that we probably will never get them as tagged classic style re-releases.

^^^
    I've never watched that whole card, but it does look awesome, like much of their stuff about then. It's a shame that we probably will never get them as tagged classic style re-releases.

It was incredible, such a good show top to bottom. Real nice VQ as well. Watching NWA TV from June 89. God be with the days of an unreal tag division, great promos, emphasis on the importance of World Titles and simple booking. Blows away 80's WWF any day of the week. Samoan Swat Team must be one of the most underrated teams I'v seen in a long long time. And the Road Warriors coming out to Black Sabbath is pure mark out stuff.

Watched Starrcade 96 there last night as well. Really, really good undercard with Ultimo Dragon/ Dean Malenko and Rey/Liger as well as Benoit/Jarrett and Eddy Guerrero/DDP all above average (the cruiser matches were really great). Then of course the geat opening half makes way for the usual NWO main event shenanigans. Luger/The Giant wasn't bad, with both guys still in semi decent shape before they declined. Hall/Nash Vs Meng/Barbarian was a nothing match with the Outsiders having the exact same match they had for a couple of years with everyone. The Main Event was Hogan Vs Roddy Piper about a decade after it could have been any good. Credit to WCW they really gave it a big matche feel and it actually felt like a big event. Match itself was the usual Hogan fare, with plenty run ins at the end, though I was shocked that Piper got the reasonably clean win.

All in all definitely worth look for the great undercard and the curiousity value of the main event. Turn the sound off though, between Dusty Rhodes' constant cock-ups and a jaded, totally disinterested Bobby Heenan who barely makes an effort, it truly is hard on the aul lugs.

Starrcade 83 next. Decent show. the main thing that struck me is the quaity of promos, virtually everyone on the show cuts a really good live promo. How many of the current roster could do the same I wonder?

The main matches are "Charlie Brown"(Jimmy Valiant under a mask) Vs Great Kabuki for the TV title. Kabuki is like a predecessor to Great Muta and has some very handy offence for 1983. Greg Valentine Vs Roddy Piper in a dog Collar match is next for the US Title. Really good brawl, with some great psychology invloving a previous injury to Piper's ear. Piper's post match promo is something else as well. Gerald/Jack Brisco Vs Ricky Steamboat/Jay Youngblood is up for the tag titles. Excellent match, Stemboat/Youngblood have some awesome offence for the time period and made me want to see more of their stuff. the Main is Flair Vs Harley race in a cage, the old "Flair for the Gold" storyline. What struck me the most is how important they made the match seem, with interviews with the rest of the roster giving their views throughout the show and the emphasis completely on the importance of the belt. Really good match and the aftermatch with Flair covered in blood, on a live mic in the cage is just brilliant.

All in all a good show, worth a look to see guys like Piper, Steamboat and Flair in their pomp.

Bash at the Beach 96.

Not a very good show at all, apart from the historical signifigance of the Main Event. The opener Rey Vs Psicosis is awesome, just like every time they step ion the ring. Is Psicosis the most insane bumper of all time? Love how he never held back on a suicide dive in his life, guardrail or no guardrail. The finish is absolutely spectaclar as Rey reverses a top rop Splash Mountain driver into a rana. The kinda spot that only Rey could be guaranteed to hit cleanly on the big stage and confirms his staus as the greatest high flyer of all time.

Rest of the undercard is muck, rubbish like Big Boss Man vs John Tenta Mongo McMichael Vs Powerplant jobber and Jim Duggan vs DDP have no place on PPV. Flair vs Konnan is passable for the US title, while Dean Malenko works his balls off the drag a decent little match outa Disco Inferno. Nasty Boys vs Public Enemy is as sh*tty an ECW style brawl you'll ever see., made entertaining by a table that refuses to break no matter how hard they bounce into it. Entertaining, but in a bad way.:pac:

The Main Event is surprisingly well booked, with the Luger injury, the suspicion that Sting causing it leads to, and the huge huge surprise that Hogan's turn must have caused at the time. It doesn't help of course that Heenan blurts out "but which side is he on" as Hogan runs out, totally killing the moment. But as I say, at the time it must have been sensational to witness and the crowd reaction, filling the ring with rubbish is great. Not sure why Hogan kept calling it the New World Organisation though.:pac:

Worth hunting down the Main Event on you tube or something for the historical value of the beginning of the NWO, but the undercard is absolute scutter. Avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Isn't that Bash At The Beach 96??

gimmick wrote: »
    Isn't that Bash At The Beach 96??
    Tis too, cheers. I wouldn't be the best of a Saturday morning. A boy the Munster Mafia, always got each others' back bai.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭ScumdogV2

I was searching through my recently burnt DVD's there today, looking for NJPW to review for the Japanese wrestling thread. I stumbled across WCW Uncensored 1997 and decided to watch that instead. Sorry Flahavaj.

Underwhelming so far. I'm now on Mortis vs Glacier in a Martial Arts match. What fun. On the plus side, there was a belting Ultimo Dragon/Psychosis match earlier on.

ScumdogV2 wrote: »
    I was searching through my recently burnt DVD's there today, looking for NJPW to review for the Japanese wrestling thread. I stumbled across WCW Uncensored 1997 and decided to watch that instead. Sorry Flahavaj.

Underwhelming so far. I'm now on Mortis vs Glacier in a Martial Arts match. What fun. On the plus side, there was a belting Ultimo Dragon/Psychosis match earlier on.

Thats all you deserve.:pac:

Showing footage now of Hall and Nash running The Steiners off the road . . .? Which can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpffXDuo-pU

Scotty Riggs VS Buff Bagwell now. Give me strength.

• Advertisement

Showing footage now of Hall and Nash running The Steiners off the road . . .? Which can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpffXDuo-pU

Scotty Riggs VS Buff Bagwell now. Give me strength.

Bat that New Japan show doesn't look half bad now bai!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Watched the last WWE Vintage Collection episode, been great watching the cruiserweights the past few weeks. Today, my draft boy (the others that took park in the draft: is it just me or do you mark out a little more now for the guys on your roster?) The Great Sasuke v Taka Michinoku, Rey Misterio Jr v Eddie Guerrero and Tajiri v X-Pac.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Bat that New Japan show doesn't look half bad now bai!:pac:

I didn't realise it was a strap match, so watching Bagwell getting whipped to hell made me smile.

Also, Dusty Rhodes was a fairly racist commentator wasn't he? Strangely enough, I've never noticed it before now.

Jolt2007 wrote: »
    Watched the last WWE Vintage Collection episode, been great watching the cruiserweights the past few weeks. Today, my draft boy (the others that took park in the draft: is it just me or do you mark out a little more now for the guys on your roster?) The Great Sasuke v Taka Michinoku, Rey Misterio Jr v Eddie Guerrero and Tajiri v X-Pac.

I absolutely love this match! I fondly remember watching this at the time and being completely blown away. It was so different to what was on WWE TV at the time. My 10 year old eyes were stunned!

Jolt2007 wrote: »

Haha, I've actually actively sought out Fabulous Freebirds and El Hijo del Santo Comps and enjoyed them hugely on the back of my research! They all hold a special place in my heart now.:pac:

That Rey/Eddie match is close to perfection. Phenomenal stuff.

Also, Dusty Rhodes was a fairly racist commentator wasn't he? Strangely enough, I've never noticed it before now.
    Never noticed specifically the racist thing, but he was f*cking sh*te! Absolutely horrible, added nothing whatsoever to the production, in fact he made it worse. Hard to understand how such a genius talker as a wrestler could be such an inept commentator. He managed to ruin the Hogan turn to join the NWO before it even happened.:mad:

Never noticed specifically the racist thing, but he was f*cking sh*te! Absolutely horrible, added nothing whatsoever to the production, in fact he made it worse. Hard to understand how such a genius talker as a wrestler could be such an inept commentator. He managed to ruin the Hogan turn to join the NWO before it even happened.:mad:

To be fair, I thought he was a decent colour man. Not the worst there's been.

Public Enemy VS Harlem Heat now in a street fight. Not as bad as I was expecting.

To be fair, I thought he was a decent colour man. Not the worst there's been.

Public Enemy VS Harlem Heat now in a street fight. Not as bad as I was expecting.

God I never liked Dusty's commentary. Maybe the three man WCW team was too much of a clusterf*ck.

Did Public Enemy ever wrestle a straight match in WCW? They only ever seemed to do hardcore brawls. Probably for the best.:pac:

God I never liked Dusty's commentary. Maybe the three man WCW team was too much of a clusterf*ck.

Did Public Enemy ever wrestle a straight match in WCW? They only ever seemed to do hardcore brawls. Probably for the best.:pac:

Probably right about WCW's commentary team. I've never liked a three man announce team. In amongst Tony Schiavone, an out of touch Bobby Heenan and Dusty Rhodes, I always thought Mike Tenay was a teriffic announcer and he never got enough praise in WCW.

Public enemy were better off brawling, god love 'em. Anything else and they'd be way out of their depth.

• Advertisement

Probably right about WCW's commentary team. I've never liked a three man announce team. In amongst Tony Schiavone, an out of touch Bobby Heenan and Dusty Rhodes, I always thought Mike Tenay was a teriffic announcer and he never got enough praise in WCW.

Public enemy were better off brawling, god love 'em. Anything else and they'd be way out of their depth.
    Tenay was the shining light. I loved how he'd get all smarky when he was talking about the lucha or puro guys.

Heenan was phoning it in SO badly in WCW, his heart wasn't in it at all.

I actually think Schiavione gets too much criticism, he wasn't THAT bad.

Tenay was the shining light. I loved how he'd get all smarky when he was talking about the lucha or puro guys.

Heenan was phoning it in SO badly in WCW, his heart wasn't in it at all.

I actually think Schiavione gets too much criticism, he wasn't THAT bad.

Since I've put this DVD in, I've heard "in the history of our great sport" a few hundred times. I'm not sure why, but this has always gotten on my tits.

Since I've put this DVD in, I've heard "in the history of our great sport" a few hundred times. I'm not sure why, but this has always gotten on my tits.

LMAO. Now that you say that, I can actually hear his voice saying it in my head. Brilliant.:pac:

Just stumbled across ECWA's Super 8 tournament from a few years ago where an unknown, young up and comer by the name of Austin Aries won. Been a while since I've watched this, might give it a watch tomorrow.

"Boring" chants in this Rey Mysterio/Prince Iaukea match. It makes me sad:(

Just stumbled across ECWA's Super 8 tournament from a few years ago where an unknown, young up and comer by the name of Austin Aries won. Been a while since I've watched this, might give it a watch tomorrow.

"Boring" chants in this Rey Mysterio/Prince Iaukea match. It makes me sad:(

Thats a decent tourny. Isn't Psicosis in that wrestling as "Nicho" or something equally strange? A young Daivari as well, watch out for his finisher, its funny.

Thats a decent tourny. Isn't Psicosis in that wrestling as "Nicho" or something equally strange? A young Daivari as well, watch out for his finisher, its funny.

The yoke with the carpet?

• Advertisement

Aye, I got a kick outa that first time I saw it in that tournament!

Busy weekend of doing nada, so took in alot of wrestling, mostly japanese stuff. last night, i decided i would watch some ECW as once upon a time I loved everything ECW did.

So I pulled out a fond favourite in Heatwave 98. This is a typical ECW style show with pretty much an anything goes feel to it. Some decent match, most notably RVD & Sabu Vs Two Japanese fellas whose names I cannot remember and the awesome brawl that was Tanaka Vs Mike Awesome.

The main event though - what a pile of crap. Firstly the extended Dudleys family promo went on about 10 minutes too long. The heat was well built, but by the end the crowd, who are proof that most ECW fans must have been on crystal meth or something during events, were tired of the booing. The brawl that ensued was typical Dudleys/Sandman Dreamer fayre. Joey Styles just pissed me off throughout with his ridiculous OTT commentary, then we get the usual New jack run in. I despise New Jack, though he got a HUGE pop when his music hit. The visual at the end with the 3 ladders was great.

It brought back memories, but doubt i could stomach ECW sober.

On an amusing sidenote, I noted in the crowd, front and centre were a father and early teen son. The father looked unbelievably bored throughout the entire show, despite people going batshít all round him, and just seems to be eating from start to finish.

Just watched the double main event of Chi Town struggle from ROH in summer 2006. Austin Aries Vs KENTA which is, predictaby, a fast paced awesome fest. I love KENTA, I have gotten to like Aries. This match could not have gone wrong. Given plenty time to develop as well in about 20ish minutes.

Not to be outdone, the following match between Bryan Danielson and Colt Cabana is just fantastic. Colt is in front of his hometown crowd and is trying to avenge his 5 minute embarrassmnt of a loss to Dragon a few months previous. What we get is a fairly technical match, where both men really get to show off their personas as well. The finish is simply awesome.

Also, the other day I watched Joe & Jay Lethal Vs Homicide and Low Ki from Punk: TFC. Absolutely incredible match. Try get your hands on it. In fact, get that whole show. Its very very good.

I watched this a few months ago but it was the last old iMPACT! that I watched. It was the show where Chris Candido led The Naturals to the Tag titles (against AMW in a really great 20 minute match). It was taped a few days before Candido dies and shown a few days after Candido died and in a pre-match promo Candido said (paraphrased) "Nothing will stop me from seeing my boys win the titles". I thought it was a particularly poignant moment.

Got to love lazy xmas mornings. Watched Final Battle 08 this morning. An absolutely top class show. The Briscoes Vs Sasaki & Nakajima, the 6 man street fight, Aries Vs Black are all great enough to make this show a must see, but that is even before the double main event is mentioned.

McGionness V Marufuji is all sorts of awesome, a worthy main event of any card, but then there is the Fight Without Honour between Dragon and Morishima. I cannot describe how much I loved this match. Dragon again showed yet another string on his cosiderable bow. This time it was the intense, crazy brawler.

After the horror fest that is Wrestling At The Gateway, this was great to see that ROH had not indeed stalled to a halt post Gabe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement