Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Watching / Last Match, Event or Documentary You Saw

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

Kevin Steen: Hell Rising. This is my second time watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Raw from 22/03/1999
    Gonna watch Mania 15 tonight. Ive seen it before (6 or 7 years ago was the last time I watched it) but Im looking forward to watching it knowing all the back stories of the matches, the build etc.

Ironically I watched this the other night. I just put a pizza in the oven and switched my brain off for the night just wanting to enjoy myself and I absolutely did. A fun show with a lot going on, really encapsulating that period of time. It's probably easy to revisit it with a critical eye but just watch it for a bit of fun and that's what you'll get!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Just started watching WrestleMania 12. Can remember the iron match but will be looking forward to seeing a few old faces in the other matches

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Just started watching WrestleMania 12. Can remember the iron match but will be looking forward to seeing a few old faces in the other matches

It is an interesting show from that POV. Austin credits Savio Vega a lot in terms of getting him out of the funk he was in coming off his injuries and transitioning out of the terrible gimmick he was initially lumbered with.

The Warrior-Hunter Hearst Helmsley match was most likely a hugely formative experience for Triple H.

rovert wrote: »
    It is an interesting show from that POV. Austin credits Savio Vega a lot in terms of getting him out of the funk he was in coming off his injuries and transitioning out of the terrible gimmick he was initially lumbered with.

The Warrior-Hunter Hearst Helmsley match was most likely a hugely formative experience for Triple H.

Just watched piper and goldust. Back lot brawl. Piper was always stone mad. Sad to see 3 of the 6 competitors from the six man tag now dead. And surprisingly the snake isn't one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Backlash 99

Decent event headlined by Rocky and Austin in a fun no holds barred slugfest.

Elsewhere Mankind defeated Big Show in a boiler room brawl, it was what it was, some ok spots. Godfather defeated Goldust to retain intercontinental belt, Taker beat Shamrock in a grudge match, the Brood lost to the Ministry.

The show was been built based on Taker stalking Stephanie and it closed with her been abducted by him.

Goin to watch the Raw that followed either tonight or tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Watched Hase beat Kobayashi for the Jr. Title from 87 New Japan on the DVDVR set,amazing how assured Hase was less then two years in the business.Really good worker already not to mention cutting a great promo after winning can't wait to see his prime stuff.

Also watched the Kaufman/Lawler feud on the Memphis set really great stuff i'd seen bits and pieces of their feud before but to see it in order with the swerve on Lawler and Jimmy Hart's promo after Lawler's fireball on Kaufman was amazing.

Watched the Austin episode of The Monday Night War.

Boring as hell and it added nothing that hasnt been said ad nauseum up til now.

It started out promising but has deteriorated, hopefully it will turn around but I will be shocked if it does run for 20 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Watching the AWA documentary for the first time an I must say it is refreshing to hear a non wwe revised history (well so far) . Not the normal talking heads which is great. Really enjoying it so far!

AWA doesn't get much props but they did produce a massive amount of talent

Tatsumi Fujinami © vs The Grappler,NJPW 12/5/1988 NWA Pacific Northwest Heavyweight Championship match

This match isn't for everybody but over the last year or so i've come to appreciate matches like this more and more.

It has really nice matwork and working over the leg by Fujinami,a good bit more ground based then his other matches from around the same period but they still have some nice exchanges with a good finish.

• Advertisement

Raw from 24/05/1999 - The Owen Hart Tribute Show.

First time seeing it in full, unabridged and as broadcasted on the night. Some very hard to watch segments, the ones that stood out in particular were Mark Henry, Jarrett and Trips, lump in throat inducing stuff. One that Id never seen before was Shane's segment, he talked about the bond the McMahons & Hart's had always had.

On a side note, The Rock gave the "Finally, The Rock has come back to" speech, first time I think this was done, at least on TV.

The show closed with SCSA coming down, cracking a couple of beers and saluting a portrait of Owen on the Titantron.

One thing that bugged me was that there was no segment from Vince. He narrated the tribute video at the top of the show but that was it. Perhaps he felt he shouldn't given that ultimately he was in charge the night of the tragedy or because of what happened with Bret, still though, I think it would have been right if he gave an on camera speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Survival of the Hitman

The Bret Hart documentary made by Wai Ting and John Pollock. It's alright but doesn't add much that hasn't already been documented elsewhere. There's a cool bit where Bret watches the Survivor Series match onscreen.

Arena: Masters of the Canvas i

Kayfabe doc made by BBC about the painter Peter Blake painting Kendo Nagasaki. It's very cheesy and carny. Nagasaki had already removed his mask about 10 years previous.

Also watched the Royce Gracie and UFC 20 years documentaries which are alright.

Has anyone any documentary recommendations outside of the obvious ones?

Ageyev wrote: »
    Survival of the Hitman

The Bret Hart documentary made by Wai Ting and John Pollock. It's alright but doesn't add much that hasn't already been documented elsewhere. There's a cool bit where Bret watches the Survivor Series match onscreen.

Arena: Masters of the Canvas i

Kayfabe doc made by BBC about the painter Peter Blake painting Kendo Nagasaki. It's very cheesy and carny. Nagasaki had already removed his mask about 10 years previous.

Also watched the Royce Gracie and UFC 20 years documentaries which are alright.

Has anyone any documentary recommendations outside of the obvious ones?

Never heard of this before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Never heard of this before?

Ting are Pollock from Canada work with Live Audio Wrestling doing podcasts and stuff on The Fight Network which is the channel that showed it. It was made in 2010 after Bret returned to the WWE. It's on Youtube but the video quality isn't great. Doesn't seem to be uploaded anywhere by The Fight Network themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Watching the first year of post brand split Smackdown. Voodoo Child was such awesome wrestling entrance music.

The best shoot style match I’ve seen so far and one off the best matches from 2008 just crazy stiffness,great matwork and unbelievable head-drop suplexes BattlArts is so fun to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I found a nice channel on Youtube here where a guy has posted a bunch of Georgia Championship Wrestling videos.

I had a desire to check out some old school rasslin' so I decided to watch the episode from September 15th, 1979. This was a go-home show for an event that would take place the following Friday night at the Omni. Here's my review of the show...

The show opens with the legendary host Gordon Solie and he is interviewing Bobby Heenan who is criticising 'jive-talking hillbillies' so you know it's going to be good. The Brain is representing his client, Killer Karl Kox, who is the GCW Hevyweight Champion and who looks ancient. I researched it and at the time of this TV taping he was 48 years of age which surprised me as I thought he was in his fifties here. He was almost the same age as Bill Goldberg is today but Bill is undoubtedly in better shape. After his promo we have a match featuring the champ...

Killer Karl Cox vs Bill Allen

I know back then there weren't the aesthetic requirements for wrestlers that there are today but damn - this Bill Allen guy. Picture an overweight dude with a curly hairstyle similar to Tod Flanders and you have Bill Allen. This was a total squash match with Kox spending most of the match cranking Allen’s neck and finally finishing him with an elbow drop.

The best thing about this whole thing was the promo work. Heenan cut a promo afterwards smoking a cigar and said he will smoke a cigar every time his man wins and that he'd already bought 150 cigars. We then were shown a video featuring Dusty Rhodes, looking pretty slim, and saying he wants the gold belonging to Kox. We cut back to Heenan who says the only gold Dusty’s going to get is when they put new fillings in his teeth.

Bobby Heenan was so great but I reckon you know that already.

We then get an Ernie Ladd promo which was good and from there a match between Ivan Koloff and Ole Anderson vs The Crusher and Tommy Rich.

Ivan Koloff and Ole Anderson vs The Crusher and Tommy Rich

The match broke down early and the bell rings for a double count out. Crusher cuts a promo afterwards saying at the Omni they will be in a cage versus Ole and Koloff for their tag titles and there will be no escape. Alright segment; it did its job.

A cheerful white meat babyface, Ricky Fields, comes along and just pops by to say he’s delighted to be on the card next Friday at the Omni and there’s going to be some of the best wrestling in the world. Well shucks that was awful nice of him to say. You don't see this type of thing nowadays but it was amusing.

Next we get Gordon Solie interviewing Stan Hansen and they analyse a match involving Hansen’s future opponent Blackjack Lanza.

Blackjack Lanza vs jobber

This didn't last long as Lanza takes out the jobber using his deadly finisher: THE CLAW.

It was funny how Hansen was very calm and measured when commentating on Lanza’s match but when it came time to hype his upcoming match he kicked up the intensity a gear and cut a fiery promo saying it was going to be the Claw versus the Lariat and the Lariat would win it for him. This was good and made me want to see the match which is the whole point of a promo. Simple yet effective.

Snake Brown vs Stan Hansen

Snake Brown had the hairstyle of Doc Brown from Back to the Future. You didn't need a time-travelling DeLorean to know how this one would go. Hansen won with the Lariat after a few minutes. I was curious to see how stiff it would be but it looked pretty safe actually.

Rick Oliver vs Bob Armstrong

The match never happened as Bobby Heenan returned and cut a promo on Dusty again and says Killer Karl Kox will keep the gold and retire as champion. Then he challenges Bob Armstrong - who will on Friday face another of Heenan's clients Toru Tanaka - to accept a martial arts challenge tonight instead of this Rick Oliver as a warm up for Friday. It will be a judo jacket match or something. Bob accepts because he ain't going to back down from a challenge by Heenan.

Stand-by match – Carl Fergie vs Chick Donovan

Longest match of the show so far. Started off dull, got a bit better near the end. Nothing special but fine. Carl Fergie is a cousin of Jerry Lawler I subsequently learned.

Ole and Koloff vs Jobbers

The Crusher and Tommy Rich were on commentary, scouting their opponents on Friday.

The match was basic with Ole working over the jobber's arm. The star of this was The Crusher who was was hilarious burying Ole and Koloff. At one stage Ole was struggling on the mat with trying to turn over a jobber. Crusher says:

'Look at these bums 'ere. Can't even get out of a little, simple hold that I seen put on guys when I was in kindergarten.'

Crusher had a lot of lines that sounded like he'd been using since kindergarten. At one stage he refers to 'Ole Jerkson and Ivan Dumb-koff.' He also criticizes their 'poopy holds'. The weird thing is his delivery was so great with that growling, gravelly voice of his that it worked. My favourite burial line of his, as he shakes his head:

‘How they got to be champions I’ll never know.’

He was very entertaining.

Bob Armstrong vs Doctor Judo

Yes. DOCTOR JUDO. They wrestled it like a normal match except instead of punches there were martial arts chops. Armstrong showed great babyface fire in his comeback which I liked as did the crowd. Armstrong won with a hold that Heenan afterwards complained was an illegal choke but which Solie explained was quite legal. Promo afterwards from Armstrong promoting Friday night at the Omni.

Overall show verdict:I liked the show and it got me interested in seeing the event they hyped: Friday night at the Omni. If I'd been around at this time and in the area I can imagine myself wanting to go see it. I actually looked for results online but couldn't find any.

Star of the show: I'd have to give it to Bobby Heenan who was fantastic. His stuff not only holds up well today but surpasses most, if not all, of it.

The Crusher was very good too and I can understand why he was such a legendary performer. Normally I don't like guys burying their opponents, but as the guys he was burying here were established guys who were the champs I can let it go; especially as it was entertaining.

Most of the promo work on the show was far better than today's stuff which is no real surprise.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Advertisement