Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads. W.T.F?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Avant guard

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It should be very obvious based on facial expression, movement etc that the Garda who threw her acted out of rage rather than anything practical, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

wexie wrote: »
    certainly not the kind of behaviour or apology you'd expect from the likes of a hairy-knuckle-dragging-violence-fetishist as the average gard is portrayed round these parts some time

I'm not 100% sure if that's a generalisation or if it's directed at me?

All I've said so far is that those comments were unwarrented, with the apology considered it's softens to blow entirely. In fact I think it speaks much more about him that he was willing to apologise for his comments and admit his wrong doing on a public forum, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Murphy7777

I'd imagine you deserved it somehow.

I deserved to be thrown on the ground, handcuffed, pushed around and thrown into a tiny cold cell for about 4 hours for making a smart comment, and they justify it because I was after a bit of drink….Hope this happens to you someday and see how much you fell you "deserve" it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Miike wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure if that's a generalisation or if it's directed at me?

geez no, not directed at you at all :o

Miike wrote: »
    In fact I think it speaks much more about him that he was willing to apologise for his comments and admit his wrong doing on a public forum, fair play.

This is what I meant, someone so willing to acknowledge being wrong and apologising so forthrightly hardly seems to fit the stereotype.

In fact, it'd nearly make you wonder if some gards are like, you know, nearly human?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Murphy7777 wrote: »
    I deserved to be thrown on the ground, handcuffed, pushed around and thrown into a tiny cold cell for about 4 hours for making a smart comment, and they justify it because I was after a bit of drink….Hope this happens to you someday and see how much you fell you "deserve" it

Drunk and disorderly I'd imagine, if that's what they thought you were then it sounds fair enough to me.

Did you want a luxury cell? One with a fire, electric blanket and maybe a pool table. Cells are supposed to be small and cold, you aren't supposed to like it there.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Drunk and disorderly I'd imagine, if that's what they thought you were then it sounds fair enough to me.

Did you want a luxury cell? One with a fire, electric blanket and maybe a pool table. Cells are supposed to be small and cold, you aren't supposed to like it there.

"if that's what they thought you were then it sounds fair enough to me. " Thats exactly whats wrong with the guards today and why guards like this get away with so much, because people like you assume that what a guard says is 100% truth. I have said exactly 100% what happened and straight away you assume the guards must be right…..crazy that people are so quick to defend the guards without even knowing the situation.

And yeah thanks for clearing up that a cell is not a place you are supposed to like…great input..well done

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I know we're gone way off topic, but what was the comment and the circumstances Murphy777? You mentioned how you were arrested, but nothing of what was happening beforehand, why you were involved, why you made the comment and what comment was made. You then said that you, referring to KERSPLAT!, assume the Gardaí must be right without knowing the situation, but you didn't give a situation, you gave your side of the story, which isn't enough to give an educated answer. And many people have come and gone with accusations like yourself, whether founded in truth or no, and expect people to believe them without giving all the facts, and just their side of the story. So, yeah, people assume the Gardaí are right, because 99.9% of the time they are.

I know we're gone way off topic, but what was the comment and the circumstances Murphy777? You mentioned how you were arrested, but nothing of what was happening beforehand, why you were involved, why you made the comment and what comment was made. You then said that you, referring to KERSPLAT!, assume the Gardaí must be right without knowing the situation, but you didn't give a situation, you gave your side of the story, which isn't enough to give an educated answer. And many people have come and gone with accusations like yourself, whether founded in truth or no, and expect people to believe them without giving all the facts, and just their side of the story. So, yeah, people assume the Gardaí are right, because 99.9% of the time they are.

"because 99.9% of the time they are." There we go again, exactly the point I am making, excellent stuff! There was nothing in the situation, the guards were telling us to move away from somewhere after a night out, I gave a smart comment and that was that, threw me on the ground arrested me and I spent the night in the cell for being "drunk and disorderly" guard was in a bad mood so decided to take it out on me and of course the person who is after a bit of drink is definitely wrong…not the D******d of a guard who was just in a bad mood, argue this all you like, this is exactly what happened.

the guards were telling us to move away from somewhere after a night out, I gave a smart comment and that was that, threw me on the ground arrested me and I spent the night in the cell for being "drunk and disorderly" .

So what you're saying is that if you'd listened to the gard and not been disrespectful....you'd have stayed out of the drunktank?

I think I see a cause and effect here....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

"because 99.9% of the time they are." There we go again, exactly the point I am making, excellent stuff! There was nothing in the situation, the guards were telling us to move away from somewhere after a night out, I gave a smart comment and that was that, threw me on the ground arrested me and I spent the night in the cell for being "drunk and disorderly" guard was in a bad mood so decided to take it out on me and of course the person who is after a bit of drink is definitely wrong…not the D******d of a guard who was just in a bad mood, argue this all you like, this is exactly what happened.

So what you're saying is you were doing something that caused the member to invoke section 8 of the public order act, and then refused to leave. You then made a "smart remark"(you still haven't enlightened us to what you said), and were arrested probably for a mixture of failing to comply with the direction and the "smart comment" which I'd bet was a breach of section 6 POA.

So you were committing the original public order offence which drew the members attention to you (generally 4, 5 or 6 POA) then breached another two sections of the act before he arrested you.

From experience people who are intoxicated, unless they're comatose, are full of bravado and devoid of common sense so they tend to pull away or struggle when they're being arrested.

Now I'm not saying this is definitely what happened in your case because I was not there but in 99.99999% of public order incidents this is exactly how it plays out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Strangely enough it's never happened to me and I doubt it ever will.

Funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Whatever way you want to put it but you have to realise even now that bad moods and immaturity do not mix well.

TheNog wrote: »
    Whatever way you want to put it but you have to realise even now that bad moods and immaturity do not mix well.

I know they do not mix well…..does not mean you have to arrest someone because you are in a bad mood!

source wrote: »
    So what you're saying is you were doing something that caused the member to invoke section 8 of the public order act, and then refused to leave. You then made a "smart remark"(you still haven't enlightened us to what you said), and were arrested probably for a mixture of failing to comply with the direction and the "smart comment" which I'd bet was a breach of section 6 POA.

So you were committing the original public order offence which drew the members attention to you (generally 4, 5 or 6 POA) then breached another two sections of the act before he arrested you.

From experience people who are intoxicated, unless they're comatose, are full of bravado and devoid of common sense so they tend to pull away or struggle when they're being arrested.

Now I'm not saying this is definitely what happened in your case because I was not there but in 99.99999% of public order incidents this is exactly how it plays out.

"but in 99.99999% of public order incidents this is exactly how it plays out."

again with the 99.99% can I please ask where ye are getting these made up figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

Back on topic

Just seen this video now, I'm living away so playing catch up all the time.

At first glance it looks harsh and heavy handed but to be fair she put herself in a position that was inviting this sort of reaction especially given the situation with Joan Burtons car only days earlier.

It is clear to see a very big Garda force holding back a large number of people. Their main job was to make sure Kenny's car was not stopped to allow it to be surrounded. While Joan Burtons incident ended without any real damage to her or the car it was a hairy situation which could have escalated quickly and it could not be let happen again with Kenny.

Once the women stepped onto the road there was a very real danger she could slow down or stop the car, intentionally or not, the gardai in that case just acted as quick as they could to stop this from happening hence the number of guards who grabbed a hold of her. To top it off it didnt look like she was willfully complying with the gardai and moving off the road when asked/ moved

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

"but in 99.99999% of public order incidents this is exactly how it plays out."

again with the 99.99% can I please ask where ye are getting these made up figures?

As I said in my post, from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Out of interest,have you repeated this experience since ?

Perhaps you could elaborate a little on the incident itself,ie: did the Gardai concerned just happen upon you in your cups,or were they called to the location?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

SeaDaily wrote: »
    If you're trying to be the voice of reason aren't doing a great job. To be honest I think the gardai did quite well. Their No.1 job today would have been to protect Enda Kenny, who is, whether you like it or not, the leader of our country. If, in order to ensure that our Taoiseach's car can safely leave the mansion house, a protester is thrown aside, so be it.

Obviously it's a bit of an extreme comparison but imagine someone stepped in front of president Obama's car as he was leaving the white house. There would swiftly be a bullet in that person's head. A bit less extreme of a comparison; imagine someone stepped in front of Cameron's car as it left No.10. There would be some fairly serious force employed in ejecting that person from the situation. As I said before though these are relatively extreme examples because our Taoiseach is obviously not nearly as important as the US president or the UK prime minister. However my point still stands, in this situation the safety of the leader of our country is of course of the utmost importance and the gardai would have been informed of this. They would more than likely have been briefed to keep any protesters as far away as possible from Kenny's car and if, in order to follow these instructions they had to throw a protester who attempted to obstruct his car to the kerb, so be it.

I assume you will respond to this by saying that even if they were told to keep people away from the car, excessive force was used by the gardai in question. However, I would once again urge you to consider how the respective police forces of country's around the world would react if someone were to jump in front of the car which carried the leader of that country. In my opinion it is entirely reasonable to remove the person through force if necessary. Frankly I think that even allowing protesters that close to our Taoiseach's car is a bit much and shows a fairly lax attitude of behalf of the gardai. It only takes one nutjob to get close to a person in power like Kenny and throw a couple of punches to cause some fairly serious damage. And this all coming very soon after Burton had been hit in the head with a water balloon, I think the reaction of the gardai in this situation is entirely justified.

Blah blah blah our precious Taoiseach blah...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

source wrote: »
    As I said in my post, from experience.

I'll back up your experience with my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

From a pr point of view these videos along with the water meter installation and the shell to sea videos are definitely affecting the way the public view the garda. Theres huge pressure being put on the force from both the public and the government but if the garda lose the respect of the people policing in this country will be very very difficult

t but if the garda lose the respect of the people policing in this country will be very very difficult

did/do they have it to lose though? As a previous poster quite clearly illustrated there seems to be very little respect for the gards here. Certainly compared to other European countries (not to mention the US or places like South Africa) where officers are addressed with 'sir' or the local equivalent.

With the treatment they get from a lot of the (drunken) public I certainly can understand some of the frustrations. Combine that with the (seeming) lack of support from the judicial system and politics.

It's a thankless job and should deserve some respect. With the stress, hours, pay etc. etc. etc. it seems to be more of a calling than a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Certainly compared to other European countries (not to mention the US or places like South Africa) where officers are addressed with 'sir' or the local equivalent

Disagree.
    It seems to be more of a calling than a job.

Agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭no money honey

From a pr point of view these videos along with the water meter installation and the shell to sea videos are definitely affecting the way the public view the garda. Theres huge pressure being put on the force from both the public and the government but if the garda lose the respect of the people policing in this country will be very very difficult

Their respect has long gone thats why its so hard for them now. Look at the comments of certain guards in this thread, mostly pig headed ignorance which is regular for the force. Why would anyone respect the antics of the governments private security firm which has shown to be corrupt and incompetent at the highest levels.

By the same token its a shame for the many good guards out there that videos and other stuff like this are a regular occurrence. The actions of the higher ups in the Gardai have really made life difficult for the regular ones on the beat. In the current climate I'm not sure why anybody would become a guard. I'm sure the majority of them would agree with me on that. Watching cop shows on TV make it look fun but the reality in this country is very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Blah blah blah our precious Taoiseach blah...

I was wondering when someone would pick up on that... He's a school teacher out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

wexie wrote:
    It's a thankless job and should deserve some respect. With the stress, hours, pay etc. etc. etc. it seems to be more of a calling than a job.

Respect is earned and not deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

neckedit wrote: »
    Respect is earned and not deserved.

The majority I've worked with over the years have earned it but they certainly don't expect it and I've never heard them say they deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

mcgarrett wrote:
    The majority I've worked with over the years have earned it but they certainly don't expect it and I've never heard them say they deserve it.

Thats my point........The post I quoted was saying, The way I read it.....you pull on a uniform people should respect you.......my point being people should respect people regardless of Career or Social stature.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭no money honey

You cant even criticise the Guards in correct manner on here without getting banned or infracted. This forum is a piss take, just a back slapping club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

You cant even criticise the Guards in correct manner on here without getting banned or infracted. This forum is a piss take, just a back slapping club.

Editing your post does not make it so you never did it.

Advertisement