Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Chinese are Quick Learners (2013)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I'm sure somebody said the same about Jap cars 40 years back. ;)

No, 40 years ago, 1973, the Corolla, the Datsun (Nissan) Z-Cars, the Datsun 120Y(sunny) were all on sale, popular and competitive. The first generation Civic launched in 1972. the first Mitsubishi Lancer was 1973.

The Japanese, 40 years ago, were much more competitive than the Chinese are today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Qoros-3_Sedan_2014_1600x1200_wallpaper_07.jpg

Take my money.!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

No, 40 years ago, 1973, the Corolla, the Datsun (Nissan) Z-Cars, the Datsun 120Y(sunny) were all on sale, popular and competitive. The first generation Civic launched in 1972. the first Mitsubishi Lancer was 1973.

The Japanese, 40 years ago, were much more competitive than the Chinese are today.

50 then. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

50 then. :P

Yes, i'd say in 10 or 15 years, the domestic Chinese manufacturers may be able to design and make a good car. In the meantime, it'll be mostly joint ventures with foreign makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Re the great wall

Its very similar to other pick ups though with the exception of the Volkswagen anorak.
    You can get away with that on a pickup

New 5 star rating is a big deal though, i remember in 09 some Toyota models only got 3 stars.
    I know manufacturers have to engineer their cars in a specific way to do well in these tests and its debatable whether this leads to a safer car but the fact remains that they got the rating and its a milestone for a Chinese company.

The main issue i see with the car is that the brand has no heritage, theyre an unknown quantity. They dont really have a unique selling point and that means itll have to be cheap.
    15% less than a Volkswagen isnt that cheap. Thats skoda territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Joe 90

I'm sure somebody said the same about Jap cars 40 years back. ;)
    The fact is that Jap cars were truly atrocious 40 years ago. British cars wer not quite so atrocious but the Jap cars were at least well built atrocious cars so they sold.
    Thirty years ago Jap bread and butter cars were no longer atrocious and they even produced a few interesting cars. But even their interesting cars came on atrocious Jap tyres. If you bought an interesting Jap car you changed the tyres forthwith. These days if you go looking for good tyres a few of the Jap manufacturers, Yokohame, Toyo, Bridgestone are at or near the top of the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Very impressive. Will be interesting to see where we are in 10 years time with Chinese cars in Europe. If I was a betting man id say they will do very well indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Joe 90 wrote: »
    The fact is that Jap cars were truly atrocious 40 years ago. British cars wer not quite so atrocious but the Jap cars were at least well built atrocious cars so they sold.
    Thirty years ago Jap bread and butter cars were no longer atrocious and they even produced a few interesting cars. But even their interesting cars came on atrocious Jap tyres. If you bought an interesting Jap car you changed the tyres forthwith. These days if you go looking for good tyres a few of the Jap manufacturers, Yokohame, Toyo, Bridgestone are at or near the top of the list.
    leaving build quality aside, id wager the British cars of 30 and 40 years ago where far worse in most aspects compared to their Japanese counterparts with rust being the only area where both the British and the Japanese where as bad as each other.

In those days the British where churning out cars like the morris marina which was a dreadful car based on (even at the time) ancient Morris minor.

The Japanese equivalents at the time such as the datsun, corolla and lancer where light years ahead of anything built by the British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Have you read the article or are you just spouting off the usual drivel that you've heard about Chinese products?

It's not necessarily drivel. Are you aware of patent laws in China? They are far more flexible and as a result, domestic companies there can undercut significant R&D costs to produce similar/copied versions of existent foreign products at a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

EazyD wrote: »
    It's not necessarily drivel. Are you aware of patent laws in China? They are far more flexible and as a result, domestic companies there can undercut significant R&D costs to produce similar/copied versions of existent foreign products at a fraction of the price.

I'm very much aware of them as I talk often with a guy who works as an adviser to a number of Chinese auto firms in China.

I still don't see how any of the above is of use though as nobody, including any other manufacturers has claimed that Quros have stolen anybody else's IP.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The main issue i see with the car is that the brand has no heritage, theyre an unknown quantity. They dont really have a unique selling point and that means itll have to be cheap.
    15% less than a Volkswagen isnt that cheap. Thats skoda territory.

+1 to all that.

While I'm certainly finding them interesting I certainly doubt they will be a major player unless they start off cheap.

It's the other points about them being rip offs, cheap, dangerous and made from inferior materials that grinds my gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

CianRyan wrote: »
    Don't forget that all Apple products, though designed in California, are made in China. They are definitely considered luxury items and are very reliable.
    I wouldn't worry too much about selling it to the people.

It's also a decent looking car (very Kia Optima) with a nice interior.

Indeed, the vast majority of "luxury" goods and electronics is made in Asia at this point........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

kippy wrote: »
    Indeed, the vast majority of "luxury" goods and electronics is made in Asia at this point........

So what, they're still not chinese developed. this car is.

Indeed and it beats the pants off it's competition in safety standards........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The major downfall of Chinese developed cars was their safety record or lack of. They have overcome this downfall in splendid fashion with this car.

Now they may still lack in other areas but they have overcome this major hurdle and are certainly the ones to watch in the coming years Imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The major downfall of Chinese developed cars was their safety record or lack of. They have overcome this downfall in splendid fashion with this car.

Now they may still lack in other areas but they have overcome this major hurdle and are certainly the ones to watch in the coming years Imo.

So all of the safety systems in this car are original chinese technology...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭ofcork

Don't forget a Chinese company own Volvo now and so have access to their safety tech etc so no doubt they will make inroads into the car market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Are people really having a whinge because a new company has surpassed what people expected from them in regards the NCAP?

It wasn't that long ago that all Korean cars were terrible. Now look at them.

What would be wrong with some enterprising chap in China thinking to himself, "Ye'know? All this cheap copying crap is getting a bit boring. Why don't we use our cheap costs to create something good!"

In the future, I'll give them a look over when I'm looking at a car. If it meets my requirements, I'll purchase. If not, I won't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I'm very much aware of them as I talk often with a guy who works as an adviser to a number of Chinese auto firms in China.

I still don't see how any of the above is of use though as nobody, including any other manufacturers has claimed that Quros have stolen anybody else's IP.

It's of use as they will be entering the European market, with what appears to be fairly well designed and priced models. It's competitors would have spent fortunes researching and developing their own patented technologies, to have what they offer today. These patents would not extend to the Chinese domestic market, it would certainly seem to incentivise copycat production, as evidenced by the iPhone 4S scandal over there.

ofcork wrote: »
    Don't forget a Chinese company own Volvo now and so have access to their safety tech etc so no doubt they will make inroads into the car market.

This is probably key. The chinese have the resources to buy the knowledge at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

'Robbing' ideas is not unique to the Chinese - can anyone think of any invention not inspired by what came before?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

If anyone cared to read the articles it seems clear this car is about as Chinese as an iPhone. Very chinese, but with a lot of international input.

It is claimed Steyr did a lot of the engineering, a company best known for the 4x4 which MB badge engineered into the G Wagen.

maidhc wrote: »
    If anyone cared to read the articles it seems clear this car is about as Chinese as an iPhone. Very chinese, but with a lot of international input.

It is claimed Steyr did a lot of the engineering, a company best known for the 4x4 which MB badge engineered into the G Wagen.

Finally someone else has taken the time to read the articles.

EazyD wrote: »
    These patents would not extend to the Chinese domestic market, it would certainly seem to incentivise copycat production, as evidenced by the iPhone 4S scandal over there.
    Yes but they would be stopped from entering mainstream markets such as any EU market if they were selling robbed ideas. So again that's not a valid argument in this case.

'Robbing' ideas is not unique to the Chinese - can anyone think of any invention not inspired by what came before?
    The wheel :pac:

Cheese strings.

Gun powder from China :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

The wheel :pac:
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Cheese strings.

Very clearly developments rather than inventions. ;)

Advertisement