Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

European Car of the Year 2013 - The Candidates

Options
  • 14-12-2012 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

http://www.caroftheyear.org/candidates/2013_1/coty

Simple really. 32 candidates for this years ECOTY and they're all in the above link. Not putting up a poll because A) it would take forever and B) you can only have 25 options in a boards poll. Post your choice and we'll see what come out on top tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

would you atleast type the names of them all so I can see on the phone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Audi A3
    BMW 3-Series
    Chevrolet Malibu
    Dacia Lodgy
    Fiat 500L
    Ford B-MAX
    Honda CR-V
    Hyundai i30
    Hyundai Santa Fe
    Kia Cee’d
    Kia Optima
    Mazda6
    Mercedes-Benz A-Class
    Mercedes-Benz SL
    Mitsubishi Outlander
    Mitsubishi ASX/Citroen Aircross/Peugeot 4008
    Opel/Vauxhall Adam
    Opel/Vauxhall Mokka
    Peugeot 208
    Porsche Boxster
    Renault Clio
    Skoda Rapid/Seat Toledo
    Smart ED
    Subaru Impreza
    Subaru XV
    Subaru BRZ/Toyota GT86
    Tata Vista
    Toyota Prius Plug-in
    Toyota Prius Plus
    Volkswagen Golf
    Volvo V40
    Volvo V60 Plug-in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Flavia & Auris didn't end up in the last 32 for some reason Colm.

Probably another hybrid/electric winner this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I'd put a tonne on the Golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Wtf is the golf doing there?

Guys do us a favour and in between the chat, can ye just post your actual choice in Bold so they can be easily counted. Thanking you.

There's a Subaru impreza?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

There isn't actually a stand out car for me as I haven't experience of anything bar the ceed which I have been incredibly impressed by. However I think given the (advertising related) reviews and I'd imagine luxurious junket The VW Golf will get it.

Volvo V60 plug In for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

The problem with list is you have cars from Dacia to a Porsche lol

Volvo V40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

BMW 3-Series

Motortrend; US take on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Wow. Thats some varied choices. Everything from lectric shopping trolleys to male menopause 2 seater sports cars!

I'm gonna go with the BRZ/GT86
    Damn that's a sexy looking veh-hicle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Cungi wrote: »
    Wow. Thats some varied choices. Everything from lectric shopping trolleys to male menopause 2 seater sports cars!

me too BRZ/GT86 everything else is just boring.

The Toybaru in the lead so far then ......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

have to say its a bad selection this year,

all those massive grills,

i dont think the suv's should be there or the BMW or audi tbh

if i had to vote i'd go with one of the Volvos Hyundi or Kia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

GT86

I want it to win for it being a driver focussed petrol car built for all the right reasons. That actually deserves the accolade, but I know it won't win...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

dar83 wrote: »
    GT86

I want it to win for it being a driver focussed petrol car built for all the right reasons. That actually deserves the accolade, but I know it won't win...

What he said.....

GT86/BRZ

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

gt86

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭TossL1916

GOLF
    Realistically, it has to be the Golf. New MQB platform means its significantly lighter than all its rivals ( bar the other MQB cars, Seat Leon, A3 ) , it has best-in-class engines, its refined, better to drive than the more expensive A3 and has a interior better than most even from the class above. You might say the i30 does 90% of what the Golf does for a smaller price, but, long-term, the Golf would be better value when you factor in more efficient engines and much lower depreciation. I'd give a close second to the also excellent Mazda6, tied third between 3-Series and Boxster. The GT86 is a great car but is just too compromised as a day-to-day car to be worthy of the accolade. Cars like the Boxster show how scintillating performance and handling can go hand in hand beautifully with everyday ease of use, a feat the Toyota can only dream of emulating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Barry Barry

KIA Optima gets my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    What does the GT86 bring to the table that is in anyway new or gamechanging? Nothing I would say, its a 2.0 litre engine in a decent chassis. No ground braking new tech, innovative features. Now dont get me wrong but I like the car but its not COTY material.
    Sometimes simple fun things are the best things ;). So far only BRZ has this package, which is a great bang for your money. Not in this country though. The part " cheap " is very very fine line in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

As much as I like the GT86, I can see the VW Golf or something like that winning it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Shortlist of 8 appeared in the Irish Times last Wednesday - article below. Wonder if they will be brave enough to give it to the Golf.
    The shortlist for the 2013 Car of the Year in Europe has been completed, with eight new models making the cut. These are:

1 Ford B-Max

2 Hyundai i30

3 Mercedes A-Class

4 Peugeot 208

5 Renault Clio

6 Subaru BRZ/Toyota GT86

7 Volkswagen Golf

8 Volvo V40

The finalists were selected from a total of 32 new models by the jury of 59 international journalists from 23 countries.

“The decision will be exciting this year,” says Frank Janssen, motoring editor for Stern magazine in Germany and secretary general of the international jury. “There is an upcoming trend in 2013: the return to compact models. Driving pleasure is guaranteed by sportiness and high quality standards.”

Before the winning car is announced on March 4th at the Geneva motor show, the final eight cars will undergro further intensive testing, including a day-long session on a testing track near Paris that includes sections for suspension and dynamic testing.

The cars will be assessed under four criteria: innovation, quality, value for money and design. The votes of each jury member is published, along with their explanation notes, when the winning car is announced in March.

With the announcement of the 2013 winner, the European car of the year award will also mark its 50th anniversary. The award was initially created by seven European magazines from seven countries: Stern in Germany; Autocar in the UK; Auto in Italy; L’Automobile magazine in France; Autopista in Spain; Autovisie in The Netherlands; and Vi Bilägare in Sweden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I'd have to say the SUYOTA too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    What does the GT86 bring to the table that is in anyway new or gamechanging? Nothing I would say, its a 2.0 litre engine in a decent chassis. No ground braking new tech, innovative features. Now dont get me wrong but I like the car but its not COTY material.

I don't think thats the point of why any of us that have chosen it, have done so.

I chose it because it's the only car out of any of them (maybe Boxster aside) that is made for all the right reasons and not a hyper-eco, derve plain mobile. In this day and age it deserves the award simply for that. :)

It might not be innovative in any shape or form, but it's going back to what cars should be about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

GT86 no TDI family cube, people carrier for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I think the Subaru/Toyota thingy should win it, but in reality it's probably going to be the Golf, what with all that innovation and value for money it brings to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The GT86 and V40 are the only ones id bother with out of the finalists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Really hope the GT86 will win this. I'm normally no fan of Japanese cars, but this car is an exception
    The cars will be assessed under four criteria: innovation, quality, value for money and design

1. Innovation - a breath of fresh air in these tight times when everybody seems to be buying frugal little sh1tboxes from Korea. A real sporty real fun RWD sportscar. Massive improvement in emissions / fuel consumption in the Subaru petrol boxer engine, which some people had already assigned to history

2. Quality - Toyota car with Subaru engine. I think we're alright here :)

3. Value for money - only a few grand more than your average hot hatch. Next step up a Porsche Boxster for twice the money

4. Design - this stunner sure has that category won!

Advertisement