Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

greyhound waste

Options
  • 11-11-2013 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭

have heard a few horror stories about people cancelling/moving to another waste management company only for Greyhound not to collect their bins from the properties. Anyone know if this has improved?

got a letter from them this morning say that the price plans have changed - was E49.00 standing charge and you pay for each lift (E6.00) now it's up to E12.50 per month (no standing charge) but you pay the E12.50 whether or not you leave a bin out....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

endofrainbow What question are you asking here, i.e. what is the Consumer Issue?

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

My Mother got the letter - this year she paid €29.95 (got a €20 discount) annual charge and €20.70 for lifts so far this year - total = €50.65.

They now want €12.50 a month - basically another €100 a year - they wont offer a pay per lift service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

is it €12.50 per month with an additional standing charge or just €12.50 per month in total ?

OU812 wrote: »
    is it €12.50 per month with an additional standing charge or just €12.50 per month in total ?

1. No Annual Charge
    2. No weight Limits
    3. No Excess Weight Charge
    4. Easy Monthly Payments of €12.50 which is the lowest price in the Dublin waste market.

1-4 above direct from letter sent out - so yes €12.50 per month in total.

This is Waiver customers only.

• Advertisement

so what's the cost for non waiver customers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

I just got a letter from Greyhound quoting me an annual charge in full of 250.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭basillarkin

I'm paying 15e a month in Galway.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/latest-bin-charge-hikes-to-hit-pensioners-and-unemployed-29753712.html

PENSIONERS and single people face the prospect of being hit with higher bin charges from January after one of the biggest players in the waste-collection market changed its charging system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

My granny got the same letter. Just worked it out she paid 43 euro this year for her bins and now they want her to pay 150 next year! Will they let her move to the rates I have - 49 yearly fee and then per lift?

• Advertisement

Citybin is €15 a month. No lift charge unless you go over the allowance (I've only done once in the last year by a couple of kg).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Dovies wrote: »
    My granny got the same letter. Just worked it out she paid 43 euro this year for her bins and now they want her to pay 150 next year! Will they let her move to the rates I have - 49 yearly fee and then per lift?

I doubt it - the letter is advising the new rates.

http://www.dublinpeople.com/article.php?id=2929&l=100

“Greyhound encourages customers to make full use of the services the company provides, and use their brown bins to maximum capacity, thereby saving money on waste management costs,” Buckley added.

Above is a quote - how will making my Mother pay €12.50 a month regardless of what bins go out make her want to use the brown bin to maximum capacity.

In fact with the pay by weight she was using the brown bin very well but with this new arrangement she will just dump everything into the grey bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I doubt it - the letter is advising the new rates.

Thing is her brother, who lives in a different part of the city, got his letter and is on the 49 up front and pay per lift. Makes no sense!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Doesn't really surprise me to be honest. The letter I got had 2 significant errors in it - instead of 2014 they wrote 2013.....twice.

My Mother just got this e-mail:-

"Dear Customer,

We would like to remind you that your current waste collection service plan is up for renewal soon. We would advise that you to pay your annual service charge as soon as possible in order to to enter the €1,000 One4All Gift Card prize draw and to avoid any disruption to your waste collection service. To enter this free draw all you have to do is pay your annual service charge by the end of this month 30/11/13."

So was the letter wrong or is this e-mail wrong? Annual Charge or no Annual Charge? Getting annoyed with this treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭ergo

what is the story with this?

we got no letter at all (am Dublin city, southside)

I just checked my online account and says am on the €15.50 a month package (186 per year) :eek: some price jump - also balance is -€16.00 so bins not collected last week - we used to just top up and pay per lift

I presume I'm not on the "waiver" deal but still confused :confused:
    am afraid to call them in case they bump us up to a more expensive deal if that was possible :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

ergo wrote: »
    what is the story with this?

we got no letter at all (am Dublin city, southside)

I just checked my online account and says am on the €15.50 a month package (186 per year) :eek: some price jump - also balance is -€16.00 so bins not collected last week - we used to just top up and pay per lift

I presume I'm not on the "waiver" deal but still confused :confused:
    am afraid to call them in case they bump us up to a more expensive deal if that was possible :eek:

Im in the same boat.

Bin not collected last week. Checked my account to see Im on a €15.50 a month plan and I have racked up a sizable balance.

When did they start charging monthly tariffs?

I dont remember signing up to them...

You don't have to sign up for anything - putting the bins out is basically your 'signature'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 standhead

I have just sent the following complaint to the Minister:

I wish to make a complaint about Greyhound household waste collection which by virtue of it service payment options is pushing household to create waste and not save waste.

3 payment options are available to NEW customers:

1. A flat fee of €175 p.a.
    2. €15.50 per month WITH NO WEIGHT RESTRICTION (=€150 p.a.)
    3. An annual charge of €59.95 + pay per lift of
    a. Black bin €7 per 25kilo + €0.33 per kilo
    b. Brown bin €3 per 20 kilo + €0.24 per kilo
    c. Green bin free

However as an existing customer who has kept my weight to a minimum, I am being offered option 2 only and being disallowed from option 3, which would encourage me to keep my waste to a minimum!! Based on my waste calculated in the last 12 months, I would pay approximately €100 if option 3 were available.

These 3 options are not being advertised on their website and so most existing customers are unaware of them due to this lack of transparency. Instead, tens of thousands of previous customers are being sent letters as I have been, offering a singular option (option 2) with no weight restriction.

I understand that a waste collection business has to be financially viable but there is also a societal/ environmental cost to tens of thousands of customers being encouraged to put out waste with no weight restriction.

I would be grateful if you could redress this matter on behalf of the country and the environment.

Sincerely,

Just had a lift of the brown bin - 54 kg - it hadn't been put out for a good few months in fairness but anybody else have similar weight? Seems alot?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭ergo

standhead wrote: »
    I have just sent the following complaint to the Minister:

I wish to make a complaint about Greyhound household waste collection which by virtue of it service payment options is pushing household to create waste and not save waste.

3 payment options are available to NEW customers:

1. A flat fee of €175 p.a.
    2. €15.50 per month WITH NO WEIGHT RESTRICTION (=€150 p.a.)
    3. An annual charge of €59.95 + pay per lift of
    a. Black bin €7 per 25kilo + €0.33 per kilo
    b. Brown bin €3 per 20 kilo + €0.24 per kilo
    c. Green bin free

However as an existing customer who has kept my weight to a minimum, I am being offered option 2 only and being disallowed from option 3, which would encourage me to keep my waste to a minimum!! Based on my waste calculated in the last 12 months, I would pay approximately €100 if option 3 were available.

These 3 options are not being advertised on their website and so most existing customers are unaware of them due to this lack of transparency. Instead, tens of thousands of previous customers are being sent letters as I have been, offering a singular option (option 2) with no weight restriction.

I understand that a waste collection business has to be financially viable but there is also a societal/ environmental cost to tens of thousands of customers being encouraged to put out waste with no weight restriction.

I would be grateful if you could redress this matter on behalf of the country and the environment.

Sincerely,

thanks for doing that - let us know if you get any reply

re my own account - topped it up the €16 to get back to zero and they lifted my green bin the other day...going forward it's a big price increase though :(

Got a come back to them offer of €138 with no weight restrictions for the year, tempting but the level of service is too good with citybin. Called them and they matched it & thanked me for giving them the chance to.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

Our bins were never taken when I moved from Greyhound. Eventually we got sick of having 6 bins and I left them out front of our house hoping I would tempt one of those hooded "youths" to steal them or set them on fire.

Unfortunately after 6 months of waiting, Greyhound still had not picked them up and nobody had stolen them so my Dad took them as big storage bins for his shed (I know...he's a hoarder) I don't understand why Greyhound won't pick up there own bins. Surely it's cheaper for them to reuse them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

The letter I got was €49 annual charge then

240ltr bin €7 per lift , no weight charges
    140ltr bin. €4.50 per lift, no weight charge
    Brown bin €3.50 up to 20 kilos, 19 cent per kilo after 20
    Green , free.

This doesn't suit me, I have 240 ltr bin which averages €5 per lift by weight so my charge would go up by €2 a lift.
    I contacted them to change to a 140ltr bin but they want €25 to change bins so it will cost more whatever I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

For what seems the umpteenth time I've been looking at the Greyhound charges for our bins and can't make any sense of them. My wife has telephoned and emailed them and it appears that we are on some monthly tariff - even though when you look at our account they only amount that appears to be charged is for the brown bin but this is not the case.

We've been reluctant to change as the thoughts of having 6 bins around the place while Greyhound gets off their lazy bums to come and collect their bins doesn't appeal.

But regardless of that on the basis that they seem to have a problem explaining how they calculate their charges I'm going to change over to the City Bin Co.- plus on the face of it their tariffs look appealing and at least I'll know why I'm paying what I'm being charged

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭VB

Greyhound have offered me ONE renewal option which is €175 pa. He reluctantly gave me details when I asked about the annual charge + pay as you use option.

Citybin have two offerings for my area €12.50 pm (€140 pa with a €10 discount for paying upfront) or €15.00 pm.
    There is a weight restriction on the black bin only of either 25kg pm or 42kg pm depending on which option you go for.
    No weight restriction on green or brown bins.

Advised Greyhound of the cheaper offer from Citybin and they had no interest in matching. They say they don't have the black bin weight restriction on the €175pa charge. As I'm not going to go anywhere near the Citybin restriction so I am happy to take my €35 saving and move.

Interestingly in my estate I would say 80% of people have switched to citybin over the last year.

Citybin here I come...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/binmen-save-homeless-mans-life-after-he-is-emptied-into-rubbish-truck-30030119.html

- I wouldn't be surprised if this was staged. Great publicity and of course the boss was available for tv interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 oldbill09

I left Greyhound two years ago for all the same complaints as above. I live in Lucan area and joined Thorntons. Best move ever - never had to make one complaint to them. Check out their charges on the website.. Greyhound took back their old bins in two weeks! Peace.

Advertisement