Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSA switch off before you dive off

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

i use a nokia ear piece that came with my phone when the phone rings i press the button and talk away while some time having a 45ft trailer on tow:D.
    also my phone with the headset is voice activated even text messages can be read out while im driving its the dogs b*ll*x.

Cool! What voice is it in - sexy bird or Stephen Hawkins?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

gurramok wrote: »
    Men cannot drive alone, they need a woman passenger to help them 'slow' down on the roads, get the message boys, not the points :)

I heard that the RSA are banning wives being passengers in their husbands cars, something about the blokes eventually jumping out of the moving car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

prinz wrote: »
    Are you pscyhic or do your eyes leave the road and go to your phone to see if it's important or not?

Are you serious? My phone is beside my radio so if it rings I can have a quick glance at it, the very same way I can glance at the radio.

You didn't really think that question through did you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Are you serious? My phone is beside my radio so if it rings I can have a quick glance at it, the very same way I can glance at the radio. You didn't really think that question through did you.

:confused: Why did I not think that through? Must people don't glance at the radio when it rings, if your phone rings it's far more likely that would prompt an immediate automatic reflex action to take your eyes off the road, as opposed to wanting to change the radio station etc. One of the reasons car manufacturers started putting radio controls on the steering wheels, precisely so your attention wouldn't be drawn away from the road to change station etc. Having your phone there and looking at it when it rings is presents essentially the same danger.

Perhaps you missed this..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65951721&postcount=43

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

moonpurple wrote: »
    on the radio the road safety authority are telling us to

'switch off before you drive off'

did a transition year student write this ad....do they think we would turn off our mobile phones during car journeys

cop on rsa

Fix the driving test and enforce the law. Puns and stupid campaigns are an easy way to look like your doing something when your not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

:confused: Why did I not think that through? Must people don't glance at the radio when it rings, if your phone rings it's far more likely that would prompt an immediate automatic reflex action to take your eyes off the road, as opposed to wanting to change the radio station etc. One of the reasons car manufacturers started putting radio controls on the steering wheels, precisely so your attention wouldn't be drawn away from the road to change station etc. Having your phone there and looking at it when it rings is presents essentially the same danger.

Perhaps you missed this..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65951721&postcount=43

Oh my Christ. Driving on road and keeping a safe distance from the car in front of you. I wonder who it is that is calling me? "CRASH"?

You are bordering on ridiculous.

I hope that you drive alone, have ripped out your radio and left your phone at home. Otherwise you are a hypocrite.

Those crashing because they take their eyes off the road for half a second are tailgating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Hi We'llallhavetea, again you're a poster who I like and usually agree with your posts but you're in the wrong here, talking on a handheld mobile phone is for mugs. Handsfree bluetooth kits are very affordable. I hope you pick one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Everytime I see a fcktard swerving around the corner on the other side of the road I look to see who was the usual suspect of culprits this time, A soccer ma or a silver fox. It is usually either one or a prick on a phone. Or either one of those pricks on a phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

:confused: if your phone rings it's far more likely that would prompt an immediate automatic reflex action to take your eyes off the road, as opposed to wanting to change the radio station etc.

first i drive a 06 yaris so i have no radio controls on my steering wheel,

second, if westlife or U2 comes on the radio(it happens more often then i like to be honest) it would prompt an immediate automatic reflex action to take my eyes off the road and change the damn station quick! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Most people don't glance at the radio when it rings,]

I'd be more than just glancing at the radio if it started to ring...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Personally, I have no problem with driving and talking on a phone, but some people do and I see that on the road every day. Some people cannot operate a phone and operate a vehicle, for this reason the RSA are in the right with this campaign. At least it's not sexist. :P

Oh my Christ. Driving on road and keeping a safe distance from the car in front of you. I wonder who it is that is calling me? "CRASH"?Those crashing because they take their eyes off the road for half a second are tailgating.

You do realise there are plenty of other types of accidents besides driving straight into the back of someone?
    You are bordering on ridiculous..

:pac: I am not the one freaking out about the RSA giving safe driving advice. Christ on a bicycle. They are not banning phones in cars or ordering everyone to switch them off, but they have a valid point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

these are 3 quick and simple ads from australia (not gruesome)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7VH8ae6ux0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYUabxaW1d8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqYgxD6giwc&feature=related

and those situations could so easily happen, if one is too arrogant to think that
    they don't apply to them they probably won't have an effect but to be honest
    I nailed the back of a garda car (I know, haha) a few years back because I was checking the data on a heart rate monitor while driving. Just lucky no one was hurt.

I'd be more than just glancing at the radio if it started to ring...
    I just called to say I love you
    I just called to say how much I care
    I just called to say I love you
    And I mean it from the bottom of my heart

Advertisement