Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Japan may pick robots over immigrants

• 18-05-2010 12:14am

Japan, like many countries across the globe, is facing huge challenges in caring for its aging population.
    Its hospitals are stretched because there are not enough nurses to cope.
    The low birth rate there means foreign workers need to be recruited but there is a widespread opposition to immigration in the country as many Japanese value an ethnically homogenous society.
    For some, robots may be preferable to allowing foreigners to work there.
    Roland Buerk reports from Osaka.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8687196.stm

all I want to know is, who else would jump that!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

In before "they took our jerbs"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Anyone else notice how the BBC volume thing goes up to 11 :p

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Stratige

Japan, like many countries across the globe, is facing huge challenges in caring for its aging population.
    Its hospitals are stretched because there are not enough nurses to cope.
    The low birth rate there means foreign workers need to be recruited but there is a widespread opposition to immigration in the country as many Japanese value an ethnically homogenous society.
    For some, robots may be preferable to allowing foreigners to work there.
    RoboNurse wrote: »
    Ah jedly...
    :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I think if I was a lad of my 80s without much knowledge of robots or even exposure, I'd be liable to kick the bucket sooner with a stroke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I know that they are putting large amounts of money into farm robots so that older and fewer farmers can do more work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

Anyone else notice how the BBC volume thing goes up to 11 :p

I had a while ago, then forgot about it.

On topic; can't wait 'til they do the daryl hannah one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

DEY TUK ER JERBS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

Another great idea by the Japanese. Robots dont require pensions, welfare benefits, medical care, child allowance, rent allowance, various numbers of quangos, language classes, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

theboxer wrote: »
    Another great idea by the Japanese. Robots dont require pensions, welfare benefits, medical care, child allowance, rent allowance, various numbers of quangos, language classes, etc.

That just makes them all the more dangerous when they achieve self awareness and start harvesting the old they are supposed to care for for their body heat in order to power their energy cells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,066 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Japan's robot takeover has been well documented for the last 25 or so years.

Its pretty much all there in Gundam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Aye, the most racist society on Earth would rather go for vaporware technology than give a job to a filthy gaijin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Where are all the PC dogooders objecting to Japans 'racist' policy?

Unless the Japanese are taking on foreign robots as a form of immigration :D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

Exposes PC for the sham it is. When a powerful target like Japan breaks their "rules" they are silent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Japanese are fervently racist. As are Saudi Arabians.
    PC police can only complain about so much, can you guys help out a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Japan is pretty clearly Xenophobic (and in some cases pretty damn racist), and it will be interesting to see, if they can create robots to replace Human workers, that actually do the job as well.

Now, if the Robot thing doesn't work out, there in for a heap of trouble.

kuntboy wrote: »
    Exposes PC for the sham it is. When a powerful target like Japan breaks their "rules" they are silent.

What are you talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Go robots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

ummmm... Judgment Day anyone? How long before they become self aware? and kill us all? and christian bale ends up shouting a lot in the future?

Balls to that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I saw this documentary once, Terminator 2 I believe it was called. This may not end well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Not posted yet............ for shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,121 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wonder if this is a way of getting rid of all of those silver-painted robotic twats who turn up at festivals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

ah jaysus, there was no need to bring that Styx ****e into this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

"many Japanese value an ethnically homogenous society"

What an absolutely disgraceful article.

There is an element of xenophobia in Japan, mostly in the low-education end of the older generations, certainly not with the younger crowd. Its no different to what we get here.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,586 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

At least Stephen Hawking can get a job....

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Gurgle wrote: »

There is an element of xenophobia in Japan, mostly in the low-education end of the older generations, certainly not with the younger crowd. Its no different to what we get here.

Complain to the BBC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's a good blog here about being a black American in Japan in case anyone is interested.

Anyway, if someone can make this whole robots thing actually work it's the Japanese. They're very far along when it comes to technology. Japan leads the world in building robots, and the bots show remarkable skill. Honda’s famous android, Asimo, has served tea, conducted the Detroit Symphony Orchestra and freaked-out James May of the BBC program Top Gear. Toyota’s robots have even played the violin and the trumpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Persocom for all.

Why?

We could learn a lot from the Japanese. Its a pity that there has not been any real debate on the multiculturalism issue in this country, rather a blanket acceptance by the majority of the opinion-makers and powers that be, especially within the state media, that multi-culturalism is something to be embraced, is welcome and it is progressive. Just because. We are moving towards a multicultural society it would seem by default, with little to commend such a model in my view, and more importantly with little public discussion on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

biko wrote: »
    There's a good blog here about being a black American in Japan in case anyone is interested.

I don't know how much of the remaining .6% are Chinese nationals, but even if we were to assume zero that's still only .6% of the population that is foreign and obviously so

Am I reading him wrong or does he start his rant about Japanese people thinking all black people look alike by casually implying that all East Asian people look alike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Why?

We could learn a lot from the Japanese.

Absolutely. Just not on treating other peoples.
    Its a pity that (....) subject.

Yeah, yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Wanting an ethnically homogeneous society is racist and disgraceful??
    How utterly brain dead and moronic are the libtards posting in this thread, it really is astounding! Are you guys not embarrassed to hear yourselves?

Multiculturalism (particularly the middle eastern/african kind) is a ticking time bomb is most all European nations. It obvious to anyone with even a low level of objective mental function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Am I reading him wrong or does he start his rant about Japanese people thinking all black people look alike by casually implying that all East Asian people look alike?

He's right tho. All Asian men look like Ichiro Suzuki, or so I have read.

multi-culturalism is something to be embraced, is welcome and it is progressive
    Yes, good points.
    I agree completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

01110111 01100101 00100000 01110100 01110101 01101011 00100000 01111001 01100101 01110010 00100000 01101010 01100101 01110010 01100010 01100010 01110011 01110011 01110011 00100001 00100001

• Advertisement

Orange69 wrote: »
    Multiculturalism (particularly the middle eastern/african kind) is a ticking time bomb is most all European nations. It obvious to anyone with even a low level of objective mental function.

Says the pandimensionalist.

Yes, good points.
    I agree completely.

Have a listen to Mark Steyn tear apart multiculturalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

01110111 01100101 00100000 01110100 01110101 01101011 00100000 01111001 01100101 01110010 00100000 01101010 01100101 01110010 01100010 01100010 01110011 01110011 01110011 00100001 00100001

Binary solo!

Er, I mean : 010000100110100101101110011000010111001001111001001000000111001101101111011011000110111100100001

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭whatduck

Didn't they watch Ghost in the Shell.. This won't end well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

biko wrote: »

Anyway, if someone can make this whole robots thing actually work it's the Japanese. They're very far along when it comes to technology. Japan leads the world in building robots, and the bots show remarkable skill. Honda’s famous android, Asimo, has served tea, conducted the Detroit Symphony Orchestra and freaked-out James May of the BBC program Top Gear. Toyota’s robots have even played the violin and the trumpet.

And he's great at falling down stairs too.

Anyway, in my experience Japan is a fairly xenophobic - even racist - country. It's an attitude that exists at all levels of society, though it's obviously stronger in the older, more rural Japanese person.

It's not malicious or hateful though, it's mostly born out of ignorance. Japan was sealed off from the world for a long time, and opened itself up less than 200 years ago. The only contact they had with Western civilisation was trading on a couple of islands with Dutch merchants, until the yanks showed up with gunboats in Tokyo Bay in the mid 1800s. And even since then, its location and culture has resulted in very few Westerners settling there.

On top of that, the culture clash is so huge that it's quite understandable that the Japanese are wary of Westerners. There's a huge importance placed on respect, decorum and formality in Japan, so when a load of oi-oi-brits-abroad rock up in Tokyo to go on the tear, it creates a poor image of foreigners in Japan. Obviously not all foreigners are like that - but the few that are stand out a mile from normal Japanese society, where loutish behaviour, petty crime and so on is very rare.

It's changing though, and changing quickly. In many ways, it's no different to Ireland a few decades ago. Black and Asian communities were non-existent and met with ignorance when they did arrive, but we quickly adapted and now we don't bat an eyelid.

• Advertisement

He's been a bit crap since BrassEye.

He is on top form in that clip.

If he lived here, I'd hide life-size cardboard cut outs of muslims amongst his shrubbery. Not out of cruelty now, just exposure therapy.

He is on top form in that clip.

Yeah, he even manages not to give tacit support to ethnic cleansing, the way he did in his nasty little book.

No, thanks.

Nodin wrote: »
    Yeah, he even manages not to give tacit support to ethnic cleansing, the way he did in his nasty little book.

No, no he did not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Being in Japan i learned that me and my mates were constantly being called 'western devils', 'american dirt' and 'sinful race'

that is all. robots ftw. Code Geass taught me that the English will rise though.

Being in Japan i learned that me and my mates were constantly being called 'western devils', 'american dirt' and 'sinful race'
    Just out of interest:
    How did you learn this?
    Were you falling around drunk at the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭Wossack

...thats it AWESOM-O, get it up there good and deep

LAME

No, no he did not.
    is stormfront down?

• Advertisement
Advertisement