Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What the hell happened to Irish Dancing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

People dont like it cos it's sh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Got run over at the crossroads?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

It is still smouldering away with small clubs and competitions.
    Apparently its a big thing still in the states.

An older sister of mine was once an all Ireland champion a few times too. :cool:
    (She was world champion just once I think. It was when she was a teen.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yeah I know a few girls competing in that competition actually.

God knows where the ridiculous fake tans have come from... they really should be gotten rid of though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

River dance and Irish dancing marked the arrival of the Celtic Tiger and Irish self confidence .
    The Celtic Tiger is now very dead ,and so is Irish dancing .

• Advertisement

Just on the tans, whats the latest in regard to Irish law and sunbeds?
    Illegal now for under a certain age?
    Don't want to sidetrack the OP's topic, just wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,113 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Biggins wrote: »
    Just on the tans, whats the latest in regard to Irish law and sunbeds?
    Illegal now for under a certain age?
    Don't want to sidetrack the OP's topic, just wondering.

The murdering bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

sean nós dancing looks better on telly anyway than normal irish dancing . . .less weird costumes and weird hair . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Riverdance happened and brought that sh*t mainstream i'm sure there is still gritty, urban underground Irish dancing going on

Hasn't the Irish dancing been pimped up by the Irish Americans over the years, even inventing "traditional irish costumes" that were never traditional, then throwing in wigs and caked on make-up, basically turning the whole thing into a dancing version of their paedo "beauty pageant"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Not everyone wears fake tan and wigs, there are different organisations. In some it's more traditional, no one wears wigs or fake tan and it's about the dancing but in others it matters what you look like and everyone goes all out to look the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

It's turning into Ballroom dancing almost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

It's all Flatleys fault.

It's all Flatleys fault.
    I flatley refuse to believe that! :o

Biggins wrote: »
    I flatley refuse to believe that! :o

After that, the jig's up Biggins.:(

ejmaztec wrote: »
    After that, the jig's up Biggins.:(
    I'll seven step it to the exit! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Anyone know of any Irish dancing classes in Blanchardstown or close by?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

People discovered how sh*t it is

Dave! wrote: »
    People discovered how sh*t it is
    Blasphemy, blasphemy!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I did it for 7 years back in the day when you had the traditional Irish dress and a wig if ya wanted. That was as far as it went, it was all about the dancing.
    It's such a shame the way it has gone now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Those dresses are like €800 a pop. If my child decides that she wants to do irish dancing I'll be telling her that the dresses are made of dead puppies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Those dresses are like €800 a pop. If my child decides that she wants to do irish dancing I'll be telling her that the dresses are made of dead puppies.

800e would be classed as a very cheap dress. It's turned into a seriously expensive hobbie.

One of my mates works for a company making Irish dancing dresses and the amount of time and effort that goes into them is unbelievable.

I'm not a fan of the neon colours myself.

The newer dresses seem to be going back to the more traditional style which is a plus.

orla wrote: »
    800e would be classed as a very cheap dress.

no recession round here!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Traditional Irish Dancing part 2..... What to do with your arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭spudmonkey17

It's going the way of Eurovision! :eek:

bazmaiden wrote: »
    no recession round here!:eek:

Tell me about it.

Here's an example of one i just found on ebay. Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

mikom wrote: »
    Traditional Irish Dancing part 2..... What to do with your arms.

What about the E800 you just saved not buying a dress .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

anto2 wrote: »
    What about the E800 you just saved not buying a dress .

Not buying a cheap dress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Popular pop music killed off Irish dancing.You don't see people of a certain age playing jigs and reels on their phones/mp3s.

Maybe the like of lady gaga may take an interest in irish dancing and make it popular again.

• Advertisement

My local GAA club actually had a 'Jigs Factor' charity night with local celebrities which was really successful.

http://plunketts.ie/gallery_show.aspx?id=44

My local GAA club actually had a 'Jigs Factor' charity night with local celebrities which was really successful.

http://plunketts.ie/gallery_show.aspx?id=44

so does mine, here's my latest audition

EDIT: why do all rappers insist on saying "what, what what" no one has asked you a question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I think they are grand. You have the traditional, the showy stuff like you post link and then you have the super sexy Flatley stuff ... caters for all tastes IMO.

And then you have just Irish dancing, no uniforms just you every street attire ... I love or hate them all depending on my mood on any given day .... :)

bazmaiden wrote: »
    so does mine, here's my latest audition

EDIT: why do all rappers insist on saying "what, what what" no one has asked you a question

Don't think you'd be up to our standard :P

Don't think you'd be up to our standard :P

turn it off, turn it off!!!

is that you screaming!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Scary stuff looking at those pictures, don't know why the obviously fake tan is allowed on kids at such a young age. Agree with the wigs though as someone who spent hours getting the head pulled off me for the sake of curly hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

mars bar wrote: »
    I did it for 7 years back in the day when you had the traditional Irish dress and a wig if ya wanted. That was as far as it went, it was all about the dancing.
    It's such a shame the way it has gone now.

I did it back in the day before the wigs! You used your natural hair, skin colour and face!
    You were judged on your dancing ability and not your fashion sense. Costumes did cost an arm and a leg however the prices varied, depending on how much you wanted to pay. If you went with your school of dancings costume you were playing a couple of hundred.
    I danced in the connaught and All Ireland championships and it was much better than the circus that is paraded nowadays.
    Its unfortunate, as the girls/lads obviously have the dancing talent but its the ridiculous colours, fake hair, fake tan, silly clown costumes that take away what Irish Dancing is/was all about. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

If i watch any type of Irish dancing i prefer to watch "Sean Nos " dancing.

;)Its the real Irish Dancing!!!!!!!!!.,without the stupid costumes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_fS7BQShJA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Sean-nós dancing is boring as hell.

Costumes used to be nice! I gave up Irish dancing in 2001 and it was creeping in in a major way then. I had a velvet costume with tiny bits of sequins on it- but they're all outlandish now with no celtic designs. Costumes were lovely in the late 90's, boring before then and rotten shiny things now. Was under pressure to wear a wig but never did. It's INSANELY competitive, I started too late and once you rise so high you're competing against people who've been dancing since the age of 4..so you ALWAYS lose to them. Was interfering with school then as well. Can't imagine what those horrible dresses cost now, a brand new dress in 1999 cost £700 (used the buy and sell instead!)

Ticktactoe wrote: »
    I did it back in the day before the wigs! You used your natural hair, skin colour and face!
    You were judged on your dancing ability and not your fashion sense.

I dance now and this is what it's like.
    The dresses are dear though, around €1400 and people generally get new solo costumes every year or year and a half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Anyone know the reason behind the wigs?

• Advertisement

Anyone know the reason behind the wigs?

Not sure but it takes a really long time to curl your hair and they're never perfect curls. It's probably just easier to wear a wig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Not sure but it takes a really long time to curl your hair and they're never perfect curls. It's probably just easier to wear a wig.

Cheers, I didn't realize Irish dancers had to curl their hair......tells ya how observant I am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Its just more of the leprechauning of Irish culture and heritage. We're expected now to tip our hat and welcome any of this kind of fakey oirish pageant begorrah, and be grateful for the tourist dollar or euro.

Each to their own in fairness, but I'd rather see sean-nós anyday or somebody just dancing freestyle to the rhythm of good live trad than that billy barry bejayzus anyday.

Cheers, I didn't realize Irish dancers had to curl their hair......tells ya how observant I am

It's not compulsory and is sometimes easier not to have curls but at the big competitions you normally wouldn't see many people without them. Personally I prefer natural curls and have never worn a wig, I like it better that way :)

:confused: Its not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I for one think Irish dancing is AWFUL. How on earth would anyone get involved in that type of thing, especially men???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    How on earth would anyone get involved in that type of thing, especially men???

Men? Look at all the totty you can chat up!

Men? Look at all the totty you can chat up!
    I had fun when I grew up.
    All those very fit ladies and by god, could they get their legs to some heights - from dancing of course! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

irish dancing is no way dead. Its very much alive and kicking. There were over 4000 competitors in Glasgow with upwards of 15,000 supporters and family in attendance.

Also Killarney was buzzing in February when the Irish championships were on

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Tell me about it.

Here's an example of one i just found on ebay. Here

'Only worn once' - just how pissed would you be if you forked out for the dress then your kid decided they wanted to join the football team instead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement