Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brittish Soldier killed 7 hours after he gets back from Afghan

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 macool99

who gives a **** about british soldiers out who come back from illegaly invading a country and shooting and killing innocent civilians,
    He got his just deserves if ya ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

macool99 wrote: »
    who gives a **** about british soldiers out who come back from illegaly invading a country and shooting and killing innocent civilians,

Herp Derp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

A family member said: "When he was at home, he just wanted to spend time with his family and have a rest from work.
    He'd been home 7 hours
    Quote:
    Signalman David Grout suffered severe head injuries in an incident outside Eston Institute working men's club in Eston, Middlesbrough, last Tuesday.
    He'd been home 7 hours

Hmmm.
    He was out with his mother and step-father in Eston, and had gone outside the Institute for a cigarette at around 6.30pm when two men confronted him.

context

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

who gives a blah blah blah.
    Troll fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Wonder what user has such a lack of balls they wouldnt post this under thier primary account. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Things is, when you get a thread discussing the death of a british soldier in an Irish forum we all know not every post is going to be sympathetic.

I don't give a toss that he was a soldier, its of no relevance to me. WTF should that add gravity to the incident? If the guy had worked in tescos would we feel not quite as sorry for him & his relatives?
    But becuase he served time in Afghanistan..oh jesus thats especially terrible!! Load of bollox.:rolleyes:

Its a terrible thing that happened to the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'd love to see you type that from your primary account... Mr.Troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

aaronh007 wrote: »
    That is one of the most pig ignorant things I have ever read, not just on boards, but in life.

When you join the army, you can be sent anywhere to defend its interests, be that at home or abroad. The Uk has soldiers stationed globally, most non-operational in Cyprus, Ethiopia, Germany, Sierra Leone and Gibraltar to name a few. Those that are operational are stationed in the Balkans and Afghanistan.

There are several reasons why one joins the army. One major factor could be that he couldn't get a job so he needed to provide for his young family, so the army and its pension seems like a good idea. It could be family tradition to serve in the forces. You never know a persons reasons for joining unless they say so don't assume he's a bit slow or a twat...

And to be honest I'm not going to even bother wasting my time replying to that conspiracy theory tripe you spout
    Well if anyone wants to shoot people from other countrys then Massarene barracks and others like it are only a few miles up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    Well if anyone wants to shoot people from other countrys then Massarene barracks and others like it are only a few miles up the road.

The person who died was an English man in the British Army !

Do you support the killing of British Armed Services in N. Ireland even when Sinn Fein a group you support at every opportuinity on this website said

Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams condemned the shootings saying that those responsible had "no support, no strategy to achieve a United Ireland. Their intention is to bring British soldiers back onto the streets. They want to destroy the progress of recent times and to plunge Ireland back into conflict. Irish republicans and democrats have a duty to oppose this and to defend the peace process."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Aren't soldiers supposed to be tough?
    Or is that just the case when they're shoving a machine gun into the face of some poor, downtrodden, unarmed farmer out in whatever country they're invading?

he could have had a glass jaw. some people, while physicially very strong, just can't take a punch.
    it may also be that he was drunk and due to a lack of co-ordination the power of the punch had more of an effect than it would have had if he was sober.

anyway it's a timely reminder that you could ruin your your life and another persons with just one punch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

..Brian.. wrote: »
    context

He was in a working men's club with his mother?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

for all we truly know, this guy could've instigated the incident possibly gave someone's gf unwanted attention, then got a slap for it or maybe he was doing nothing other than having a smoke and someone decided to have a go at him.
    The same could happen to anybody at any time. how it all began will never be truly discovered i fear unless as the 'truth' will be favoured on the side of the 'war hero' even though some members of Her majesty's armed forces have a strong sense of invincibility and the attitude to match.
    Its just worse as he had survived and was just back from a tour of duty. Terrible for his family though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

for all we truly know, this guy could've instigated the incident possibly gave someone's gf unwanted attention, then got a slap for it or maybe he was doing nothing other than having a smoke and someone decided to have a go at him.
    The same could happen to anybody at any time. how it all began will never be truly discovered i fear unless as the 'truth' will be favoured on the side of the 'war hero' even though some members of Her majesty's armed forces have a strong sense of invincibility and the attitude to match.
    Its just worse as he had survived and was just back from a tour of duty. Terrible for his family though
    Yeah, he probably was a typical war 'hero' who thought he deserved special treatment etc, etc Typical Brit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Wow... you have been seriously brainwashed... lol.
    Ah ****ing knew it. Someone will always come out with crap like this. It's seen in different sources, not just the news. There's documentaries about it too.
    Is this your true understanding of "terrorism" and the likes? The USA and UK, laughably, fed you this propoganda shíte and you swallowed it...
    Why not help yourself to a fúcking dictionary and find out for yourself because you clearly havent a clue what it means then.
    Try educate yourself maybe? Stop listening to sky/fox news and the likes ;) Just a tip.
    This is exactly the type of crap I'm sick of hearing from people ;) Everything is a conspiricy, everything is a lie from the media, how can you believe this/that/him/her? Alright, i admit there's some people and sources you can't trust and it's blatent for all to see. However, there's still information out there that's more viabale and inpartial so you can form your own opinion.

God, what the hell is wrong with this thread?! Where are all the liberal hippy arseholes coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Ok, We are talking about a young man who was killed on the street of his home town by a punch. Stray off topic means the thread is done and will be closed.

Ok, We are talking about a young man who was killed on the street of his home town by a punch. Stray off topic means the thread is done and will be closed.

The thing is none of us knew him and none of us really care. The thread being here at all serves no purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

none of us really care

Speak for yourself.

I care that a fellow human being died for no just cause

The thing is none of us knew him and none of us really care. The thread being here at all serves no purpose.

To me, it's a tale of an unfortunate event compounded by the fact he had just returned from serving time in an extremely hostile place, hostile for reasons that aren't relative to this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

very few threads on after hours serve a meaningful purpose. i have a lot of sympathy for this guy due to the tragic irony involved, but that is slightly hypocritical in a way because as was pointed out earlier people die like this all the time and there is no thread about them. many of these people could have been upstanding people.

To me, it's a tale of an unfortunate event compounded by the fact he had just returned from serving time in an extremely hostile place, hostile for reasons that aren't relative to this story.

But they are relative. He was a soldier. He was part of a company whose sole purpose (ok not sole) was to kill other human beings. He was killed. Fair enough, there's a little irony regarding when it happened, but so what? He was part of a killing machine and he got killed. As someone pointed out earlier, that's karma at work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Wow... you have been seriously brainwashed... lol.

Is this your true understanding of "terrorism" and the likes? The USA and UK, laughably, fed you this propoganda shíte and you swallowed it...

Try educate yourself maybe? Stop listening to sky/fox news and the likes ;) Just a tip.

Although you can argue the moral correctness of the invasion in the first place (though internationally, Afghanistan is far, far less controversial than Iraq was), I don't think you can deny the 'on-the-ground truth' as far as the effect the Taliban had upon the average Afghan who just wanted to live life.
    I'm sure a lot of Afgani's would see the Brits over there as the terrorists, or at the least as Invaders...

Interestingly, polls are showing a disparitiy between what the Afghan people think, and what Europeans think Afghan people think. Poll released in March of this year showed that whilst about half (And in the case of the Germans, just over half, at 52%) of the European population think that the Afghans oppose the presence of ISAF, the actual answer is that over two-thirds of Afghans support ISAF. Granted, that still leaves a fair few people sitting on the fence or opposed, but it is an interesting disparity.

NTM

Thread closed, as per earlier post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement