Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wayward Pines [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

sabhail wrote: »
    presumably the store room in the ark had lots of weapons to enable them to take over...

I liked the ending .... nothing ever changes... even in 4020 or whatever yr it is that they're at!

...and that is what made it a creepy ending for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I really liked the ending, maybe in a morbidly hilarious way but I liked it. No obligation for a 2nd season either.

Those young adults had training, a base, almost infinite supplies and ammunition and knowledge. I can believe they took over by force and return everything to "normal".

I enjoyed the series more than I thought I would and was an intriguing summer blockbuster type show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I'm in two minds about the ending.

On one hand there is the social commentary angle...that they weren't able to deal with real freedom that they preferred having someone protecting them and that they could live in their little bubble oblivious to what was really happening.

On the other hand, I'm not a huge fan of them leaving such a big gap in the story...perhaps they are leaving the opportunity for future series.

Overall though, its been a good series. They have to be commended for the way they flew through the series. There was no dawdling and very little filler. Some of the set pieces were a bit cheap and the teenagers we boring but everyone else was pretty good.

Will be recommending it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The ending really left a sour taste in my mouth after what were 10 pretty entertaining episodes. A strong enough series all told, but that ending just undid what was otherwise a fairly exciting finale; I was waiting for the inevitable moment when the fences failed / were turned off and the siege was pretty thrilling. Then we got a forced, poorly thought-out 'twist', probably because M Night Shyamalan was attached to this project and you gotta have a twist when he's in charge :rolleyes:

I mean sure, the twist made a lot of thematic sense - the episode's title was 'Cycle' after all, the more things change the more they stay the same n' all that - but it flew in the face of everything that was happening on screen at that moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I'm not buying for a minute that the first generation kids overpowered the adults ,are we supposed to believe that the puny metal door in the school could keep the Abbies out after seeing them tear off the door to the underground bunker.

When you consider that most people in a community are sheep and only a small few ever get mobilised enough to counter authority groups, I think it is possible that the kids overpowered the adults using fear (and weapons). We really only saw one armed guard stand up to Pilchers people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

The twist at the end looked so tacked on, I actually thought the kid would be told it was all a dream!
    Up till then it rattled along fine. Yes it was badly written with no internal logic or consistency but for a summer mini series it was fun.
    That ending ruined what was a complete story in itself and can only have been their to keep the possibility of a second run open.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Ending just did not work for me at all, would have been a very solid series had they just faded to black before the epilogue.

Still I wouldn't mind at all seeing more one season dramas like this from TV companies, overall the pacing was excellent even if you could have driven a truck through some of the plot holes, probably even the one that had already been through the fence :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

tommy2bad wrote: »
    The twist at the end looked so tacked on, I actually thought the kid would be told it was all a dream!

I kind of liked it when I though it was a dream.

And then she said "ssh they may be listening..." my heart sank...

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought the ending was fine, actually, the sense that every sacrifice was ultimately for absolutely nothing.

Surprised that Fox didn't want a second season when viewership was so high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Show was ok, passed the time. Convinced me to get the books though, which so far at least, are a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Show was ok, passed the time. Convinced me to get the books though, which so far at least, are a lot better.

What was the major differences from the books ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

ricero wrote: »
    What was the major differences from the books ?

The books are a lot more violent.

Very different ending as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Just finished watching this.

Excellent show, really creepy and a terrific cast as well.
    The reveal half way through was not what I expected and I thought they were going to throw a spanner in the works at the end and reveal that the twist was also a con and this was all some government experiment.
    I liked the ending as it show humanity's inability to learn from their mistakes and is probably what would have happened as well in reality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nice, really enjoyed the first season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Great news.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Great news completely unexpected, I wonder will it focus on the next generation and continue where the last season left off or go in a different direction completely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well I thought the ending / final scene was pretty dreadful, so if a season 2 can manage to at least put some some explanation and background to eventsz that'll be worth the point of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Dreadful ending to the first season. Such a disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,586 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Sweet mother of mercy, they're really making a second season of this?

At the very least, I really hope they recast the actor who plays Ben. I don't think I've ever wanted to punch someone through the TV as much as that guy. He even makes Brody's daughter from Homeland seem bearable.

I was enjoying the show up until the
    reveal of the "abbies". What a god awful name for them. Every time that school teacher said "abbie", I cringed.

At least the school teacher won't be back. Awful actress too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Translation: 'Fox didn't predict this being a modest hit, so threw money at us to come up with a continuation of an explicitly bookended story' :D

I dunno, Season 1's appeal to me was the fun in unwrapping the mystery behind the town; this new set-up would want to be pretty intriguing!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,905 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Returns May 25th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

How the hell are they bringing back Megan Fischer? If there was any character apart from Ethan Burke who I would have bet every cent to my name on having been totally eviscerated by the Abbies in the season one finale, it'd be her.

Regardless, I'm apprehensively looking forward to season two. What drew me to Wayward Pines was the mystery element - where the hell are we, why can't we call anyone, why is this town so weird, etc. Once that was revealed midway through season one, they managed to keep that going with the Plot 33 storyline and the potential that it would turn out to have been a lie all along. Season two will begin from the premise that we already know everything but the main character does not - whether that'll still be as gripping, it's hard to say. Unless they come up with some new mystery elements, it seems like this one will feel like re-watching a mystery thriller when you already know the ending. Hope I'm wrong, we'll find out soon enough either way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,905 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I enjoyed the season 2 opener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,586 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Starts on FOX UK on Wednesday June 8th at 9pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Just watched the new episode, meh, but could be good. I'll keep watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Another event / arc series turns into a multi-season yoke. I fear that we'll be looking at another ...

No Tony, Don't Say It ....

Under The Dome

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggghhh !!!!!!!

I don't know why I did that thing with the colours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I thought there was some awful actors in this but I was impressed with how quickly they divulged information. They could have definitely padded it out over 2-3 seasons but to have it all done in one was gutsy IMO.

Hopefully they aren't reaching for stuff this season and they have something original in mind.

Decent opener alright. Nice touch bringing Terrence Howard back for one scene too.

The twist with Kate and the scalpel was a good one.

Nice to see Kacey Rohl too, big fan. :)

Episode 2 was decent too. Looks like the Abbies are going to play a bigger role this season.

On the downside, it looks like they're picking off the original cast, one by one...

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭frenchmartini

Am liking the Theo character and what he'll bring. Looking forward to E2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

DubTony wrote: »

I don't know why I did that thing with the colours.

It was obviously the mind-controlling Abbies outside the Dome (yet on The Island) but not the ones who shot JR or Mr. Burns.

I liked the terrible ending of the first series, when I thought that was the end. It would have been cheaper to let us use our own imaginations as to how Wayward Pines fared afterwards. I'll still watch the second series, though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,563 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Just finished watching the first series. I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure if I really liked it, if you know what I mean?

However, should this really have ended with the first series? I'm leaning to a yes. It now looks like it's just going to be dragged out til it implodes.

For a show that was ostensibly a one season run, I think they're doing a great job with season 2. The story has momentum and the back story parts are well done. I'm getting a small bit of a Planet of the Apes vibe (with the humans as the apes!) - only a matter of time before we get a speaking Abbie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

For those wondering how the books enede varied from the TV Show
    Here’s roughly how that goes down: In the book, the abbies kill many of the townspeople in the showdown, but Ethan and about 250 others manage force them back outside and get the fence working again. The survivors, in turn, exile Pilcher outside of the gate, which is as good as killing him. Game over, townspeople win. Sort of.

But here’s the twist: In the year 4028, they realize that the winters are longer, and as a result, the food supply is running short. They only have enough food to get through a few more years. So, what do they do? Do they leave Wayward Pines and take their chances foraging for food outside the fence?

No. They do not.

They go back into a cryogenic sleep.

Here’s the final line in the book:

“Seventy thousand years later, Ethan Burke’s eyes slammed open.”

I think that would have been awesome to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,563 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That was the bloody way to end the show right there. :mad:

• Advertisement

This single worst thing about this show and many like it (under the dome) besides burning through all of their source material in season 1 is the piss poor job they do of conveying the population of a town. Like as far as a TV viewer see pines has a population in the tens, even under the dome now I think of it did a better job hiring extras.

Agree the ending of the book in the 1st series would have been epic but obviously tied to leaving it open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'd be looking to get into the mountain asap.

And the quest to kill all season 1 characters continues....

Ramping up nicely though.

That female abby is scarier than the males!! And whats the significance of the hand markings? It's sort of turning into Planet of the Apes!

Another season 1 character bites the dust! Very clever way to do it too.
    Her paralysis meant she wouldn't have felt the cut

I loved the caretaker scenes with CJ in the past.

Just 3 of the original cast left now I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Thought that was a brilliant episode
    the scenes through the past were awesome
    Was there a suggestion that Pilcher might have caused the Abbies ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Watched the first season. The whole thing fell off a cliff after the big reveal mid season and turned into just another boring sci-fi show.

Not sure if i can be bothered with the second season.

She couldn't have gone in a better way. Hated her from the moment I saw her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Enjoying the second season but it's really letting itself down with the scripting. The whole explanation for how Wayward Pines came into being is like like something that would be written in a video game manual for the SNES and it really, really does not do justice to everything set up by the first season, including characters like Pilcher.

Characters are great and enough going on to keep it entertaining but very disappointing compared to the first season. Jason Patric is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

It's nice to see that my Under The Dome comment wasn't warranted. This second season is quite good. I can see it going on for a few more seasons given the arc it's taking at present.

Episode 9 - That was a pretty icky twist. :)

The blood running through the streets on the model was a lovely touch.

Finale next week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement