Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on body fat

Options
  • 11-04-2014 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice as to how best tackle reducing my level of body fat. Over the last number of years I've lost over 4 stone and gone down 2-3 clothes sizes, most recently at slimming world which I have found to have massively improved my eating. I'm now about 11lbs from being within the weight range for a healthy BMI for my height[5ft2, I'm currently 147lbs], but I'm concerned that my body fat percentage is still high at over 34% (granted this is based on info from my home Weightwatchers scales). I do exercise, going to hot yoga classes 3 times a week. I've tried to add in some running lately and am hoping this should help with lowering body fat.

Whats the best way to accurately measure body fat, and to reduce it?? Many thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭shannonman81

I dont know much and I'm sure you will get better and more educated answers but BMI is bit outdated. You have done some fantastic work so far so just keep that up. You can do a body composition test http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_composition which i think is better than reading you BMI from a scales.

Bottom line here is you have done cracking work dont focus on your BMI keep going with what you are doing!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There's no point in getting bodyfat measured? It's just another number to get overly concerned about.

You've instituted a healthy way of eating and if you can find an exercise you enjoy, you'll continue dropping weight.

But don't go worrying about getting bodyfat measured...that'll continue to drop. The best measure is how your clothes are on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Just judge yourself on how you look naked. If you feel good and are happy how you look naked, screw the BF%.

It's not all a numbers game.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

Thanks a million everyone, to be honest I'm delighted with how my clothes are on me & would like to reach my goal weight but its not the be all and end all - I just got a bit concerned about the body fat level so thanks for the reassurances :)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Hi sorry to jump on this thread and I know others have advised against focusing on BF but just wondering if anyone knows how accurate measurements from a Tanita machine are? Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Hi sorry to jump on this thread and I know others have advised against focusing on BF but just wondering if anyone knows how accurate measurements from a Tanita machine are? Thanks in advance.

I think they're pretty accurate. I had mine done and was given the same result as the callipers(done by an experienced dude).

Just take the number as a guide, if it's dropping, you're on the right track. If you really wanna get into the nitty of it, pay for a dexa scan.

I think they're pretty accurate. I had mine done and was given the same result as the callipers(done by an experienced dude).

Just take the number as a guide, if it's dropping, you're on the right track. If you really wanna get into the nitty of it, pay for a dexa scan.

Thanks! I didn't think they were supposed to be accurate! Had it done today and need to increase BF a bit I think as only 18% and its recommending 20%. I'm not underweight so didnt really want to increase it but prob for the best!just as well it's nearly Easter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,090 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just because it was accurate once doesn't make it accurate.
    Thanks! I didn't think they were supposed to be accurate! Had it done today and need to increase BF a bit I think as only 18% and its recommending 20%. I'm not underweight so didnt really want to increase it but prob for the best!just as well it's nearly Easter :)
    18% is realy good for females. There's no reason to want to increase it.
    If you look quite athletic, it's probably accurate. If you are a bit overweight, then it might not be

Mellor wrote: »
    Just because it was accurate once doesn't make it accurate.

18% is realy good for females. There's no reason to want to increase it.
    If you look quite athletic, it's probably accurate. If you are a bit overweight, then it might not be

Well there was 9 of us tested and all came in with about half a percentage. They're as accurate as machines are gonna get.

And the 18% for females is awesome.

Yes I would be quite athletic shape wise; I'm quite happy with my body but I think my body would look better (& function better) with a bit more weight or fat on it. I don't suppose there's any way of targeting/guiding where this weight goes on just like you can't target fat loss? I would prefer to avoid putting weight on my belly and face of all areas!

• Advertisement

Yes I would be quite athletic shape wise; I'm quite happy with my body but I think my body would look better (& function better) with a bit more weight or fat on it. I don't suppose there's any way of targeting/guiding where this weight goes on just like you can't target fat loss? I would prefer to avoid putting weight on my belly and face of all areas!

Yeah you're not going to be able to guide fat to where you specifically want. Typically for woman it'd be the thighs/bum/belly region though.

What do you feels wrong with your body?

Yeah you're not going to be able to guide fat to where you specifically want. Typically for woman it'd be the thighs/bum/belly region though.

What do you feels wrong with your body?

My menstruation has stopped. Bloods and hormones are perfectly normal so hoping low body fat is reason despite being within normal BMI. I cleaned up my diet a few years ago, cut out the pasta and bread and while I was never on the heavy side (I did a bit of modelling so was always a size 8, 10 max) I lost some weight despite eating truck load of clean foods. Now I've a slim athletic body but I'm 'blessed' with chubbyish face lol and a bit of a belly from trying to put on weight by increasing fat in my diet.

Advertisement