Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price mistakes in shops

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Mum was in Harrods a few years back, looking at a bag priced €1500 but had a tag on it saying €150 (accidentally). Till girl tried charging her €1500, mum refused, demanded to speak to the manager, and got the bag for €150.

I work in retail. What I love, especially at this time of year, is when people purchase stuff before Christmas and then come back in January when the sales are on, refund said item, and try to buy it again at the new sale price.

We definitely do not allow that.

How do you stop them ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

If the product is faulty the warranty is with the manufacturer not the retailer. Most retailers will process a warranty replacement or repair for a customer but they are not obliged to do so. The same applies to refunds. There is no obligation on a retailer to refund a sale. Some may do so as a goodwill gesture to the customer but then they have to battle with the supplier for a credit / refund.

I'm confused, what did I say that was wrong? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Difference Engine

Offer + acceptance.
    Agreement to terms.
    Consideration.
    Exchange of goods.

...least thats what I fink I remeber

Yeah it's amazing how quick you can forget that contract law stuff once the exam is over. I think you pretty much have it there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Offer + acceptance.
    Agreement to terms.
    Consideration.
    Exchange of goods.

...least thats what I fink I remeber

Good old Junior cert business class:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Senna wrote: »
    Good old Junior cert business class:D

Those were the days and yet when you try and pass on that wisdom all you get met with is tutters and naysayers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Thwip! wrote: »
    Those were the days and yet when you try and pass on that wisdom all you get met with is tutters and naysayers

Keep up the good work, Ms (insert old teachers name) would be proud of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

mfitzy wrote: »
    Funny thing is I find 9 times out of 10 when the price is "wrong" it's in the shop's favour...wonder why that could be :rolleyes:

Well the reason for short-term price changes is usually because of a sale. Sales are temporary and the price is reduced. So a mistake would leave the price at its normal retail price as someone on the floor didn't do their job properly.

Mistakes like this happen for reasons.
    Mainly they are complete accidents or down to human error. I've never come across a situation where they genuinely did try overcharge me/someone.*

except in a nightclub where the barman was a díck and pocketed the difference and didn't give me a receipt. But that was different.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

If the product is faulty the warranty is with the manufacturer not the retailer. Most retailers will process a warranty replacement or repair for a customer but they are not obliged to do so. The same applies to refunds. There is no obligation on a retailer to refund a sale. Some may do so as a goodwill gesture to the customer but then they have to battle with the supplier for a credit / refund.

I thought the customer's contract is with the shop and then the shop has a contract with the maufacturer? If an item is faulty the shop is surely responsible for redressing the issue? It doesn't seem likely that a shop can just wash their hands of the issue and tell the customer to contact the manufacturer!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Yeah, customer's contract is with the seller, not the manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Knockout_91

How do you stop them ??

Because we don't give refunds unless it's faulty :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Had a customer come into me to exchange heaphones because he changed his mind a few days after he bought them

When I said no he lost his mind and gave me a massive spiel about his rights as a consumer and how I was a con artist.

I then showed him the lump of earwax that was smooshed into one of the earpieces.

Dirty fecker! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    I thought the customer's contract is with the shop and then the shop has a contract with the maufacturer? If an item is faulty the shop is surely responsible for redressing the issue? It doesn't seem likely that a shop can just wash their hands of the issue and tell the customer to contact the manufacturer!?

I don't think I said anything about washing their hands of the issue? I most definitely didn't mean to imply that either.

If goods are faulty it is usually a manufacturing fault, not a retailing fault and as such the warranty is with the manufacturer of the goods not the person who sells it.

Most retaillers will bend over backwards to help customers resolve any warranty issues, as, you are correct, the retailler has to provide redress. The point I was attempting to make (not too clearly, in retrospect) was that the retailler generally sends the product back to the manufacturer for repair or replacement on behalf of the customer.

If there is a persistent problem the retailler then can offer or recommend something different to replace that product where possible. This is outside of a discussion about product being fit for purpose, or if a retailler has recommended something.

I know shops don't have to stand by the price they advertise but they should have to in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's all Tesco's fault. Their price promise in the late 90s/early 2000s where they would honour any price mistakes in store lead people to believe it's standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Mum was in Harrods a few years back, looking at a bag priced €1500 but had a tag on it saying €150 (accidentally). Till girl tried charging her €1500, mum refused, demanded to speak to the manager, and got the bag for €150.

She probably told you that, but I don't believe it. Did she also produce the receipt to confirm her story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I know shops don't have to stand by the price they advertise but they should have to in my opinion.

Say you were running a shop where the customer exchanges the prices of something that's €500 with something that's €100, which can and does happen.

You going to stand by that then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭pennypocket

ViveLaVie wrote: »

Yes, for the customer, redress is with the seller and not the manufacturer. A couple of years ago I bought a lawnmower from B&Q which turned out to be faulty after three months. They tried to fob me off by passing me on to the manufacturer, but I persisted and got my refund under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act (to which you are entitled from the seller, repair, replacement or refund).
    I would also argue that display of price in a retail outlet is equivalent to an advertisement. Tesco and other large supermarkets would not have been willing to settle in customers' favour on display prices (even if incorrect), if they they knew the law was on their side (obviously, from practice it was not). Given that they do not even publish their profits in this country (entirely within the law), I can't imagine that they would as a corporation act in any way that would harm their bottom line.

^^ Can I ask why you wanted a refund instead of a repair/replacement? Just being nosey. :)

^^ Can I ask why you wanted a refund instead of a repair/replacement? Just being nosey. :)

I didn't have any faith in the company and nor had any faith that the product would perform in terms of the sales description advertised and for the time-period to which it was guaranteed. A customer of any sales or services under the law in Ireland is entitled to those options.

What would you have done if they offered you a repair/replacement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Say you were running a shop where the customer exchanges the prices of something that's €500 with something that's €100, which can and does happen.

You going to stand by that then?

Again, terms are being used incorrectly. Kimber Loose Welfare, a shop does have to stand by an advertised price lest it want to face consequences. a TV ad, a poster in the window etc. are advertisements. a price tag on/beside an item on display is not an advertisement and that's what TSJ is referring to.

What would you have done if they offered you a repair/replacement?

They did. The motor went due to a known and documented fault with the manufacturer in Germany. It's not my business to contact the manufacturer. My contract of sale is with the retailer. I can't understand why the options for consumers in terms of the three Rs are a mystery to some people. Even if you as the retailer persist in offering a repair/replacement to a customer, the customer is within their legal right to ask for their money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭O-Deazy

I work in retail and this time of the year is torture. Offers (especially alcohol) are changing regularly and you get people coming in the week after an offer has finished and can't understand why someone that was €8 last week is now a tenner. Then they go off on one about why we're all out to do them and its all my fault!

And whatever gobshíte came up with the phrase 'the price you see, is the price you pay' should be bloody shot. Customers coming in shouting this at you as if its law. Thinking they're fecking solicitors or something when they don't know their árse from their elbow. Retail does really make you grow a strong hatred of people.

O-Deazy wrote: »
    I work in retail and this time of the year is torture. Offers (especially alcohol) are changing regularly and you get people coming in the week after an offer has finished and can't understand why someone that was €8 last week is now a tenner. Then they go off on one about why we're all out to do them and its all my fault!

And whatever gobshíte came up with the phrase 'the price you see, is the price you pay' should be bloody shot. Customers coming in shouting this at you as if its law. Thinking they're fecking solicitors or something when they don't know their árse from their elbow. Retail does really make you grow a strong hatred of people.

On the side of the customer here ;) If a product is displayed at certain price that should be the price at the point of sale. I can imagine that pisses you off at the till, but what is wrong with 'the price you see is the price you pay?' If that isn't the case, then get the floor staff to fix the prices. For example, over the Christmas period you and your significant other went out for a meal displayed at the price of 40 euro per head, but as you were paying your bill you were told it was actually 50, how would you feel? That is why we have consumer protection and why displayed prices should be the prices we pay at the point of sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

On the side of the customer here ;) If a product is displayed at certain price that should be the price at the point of sale. I can imagine that pisses you off at the till, but what is wrong with 'the price you see is the price you pay?' If that isn't the case, then get the floor staff to fix the prices. For example, over the Christmas period you and your significant other went out for a meal displayed at the price of 40 euro per head, but as you were paying your bill you were told it was actually 50, how would you feel? That is why we have consumer protection and why displayed prices should be the prices we pay at the point of sale.

mistakes happen. also the basic premise of offer and acceptance is that the customer makes an offer, the seller can accept or reject that offer.

theteal wrote: »
    mistakes happen. also the basic premise of offer and acceptance is that the customer makes an offer, the seller can accept or reject that offer.
    True. Mistakes do happen. And the retailer should do their best to rectify those mistakes with grace and with the view to retaining those customers into the future. I don't know what you are inferring to in your second line ; maybe offers can be made but they cannot invalidate consumers' rights under the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭O-Deazy

But if you're going to adopt this policy of the price you see is the price you pay its has the potential to cost you a lot more than benefit you. Whats stopping a customer from swapping a price from a cheap product and replacing it on a significantly more expensive one? Or moving a special offer sign in front of a product that isn't on offer? In both cases you would have to honor your silly policy costing the shop money!

O-Deazy wrote: »
    But if you're going to adopt this policy of the price you see is the price you pay its has the potential to cost you a lot more than benefit you. Whats stopping a customer from swapping a price from a cheap product and replacing it on a significantly more expensive one? Or moving a special offer sign in front of a product that isn't on offer? In both cases you would have to honor your silly policy costing the shop money!

Why would a customer do that ?? (If I'm reading what you are saying properly). This is taking the question to the point of tautology and beyond. Plus, it's not my 'silly policy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

lounakin wrote: »
    I keep reading reviews and hearing people saying they wanted to buy an item at the advertised price only to find out it was a mistake at the till. Why are people under the impression that by law the shop has to sell this item at the lower price? I've seen people defending this urban legend of a law tooth and nail!

I seem to remember one or two of Tesco/Dunnes/Quinnsworth getting massive fines at some point in the late 90s where in the aftermath most of them gave you a full refund and let you keep the item if you got overcharged.

edit - a quick google tells me that the supermarkets regularly get fined for charging more than the advertised amount.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

True. Mistakes do happen. And the retailer should do their best to rectify those mistakes with grace and with the view to retaining those customers into the future. I don't know what you are inferring to in your second line ; maybe offers can be made but they cannot invalidate consumers' rights under the law.

He's talking about the elements of a contract between a customer and a retailer. The price tag on the shelf is viewed as an invitation to treat legally where the potential customer can see that price and then offer the retailer that price in exchange for the item in question. It is then up to the retailer if they want to accept or refuse that customer's offer. Most retailers will accept obviously because most of the time the price is right and the retailer is happy to sell it. However sometimes an item may have a wrong price tag by accident, it could've been left by a customer or staff member in the wrong section when they decided they didnt want it (leading another customer to pick it up thinking the price tag there is the right one.......freakishly common occurrence), or the item may show up as the entirely wrong price on the system i.e a €150 euro jacket scanning in at €15. It is then entirely in the rights of the retailer to refuse the customer's offer, obviously politely
    Why would a customer do that ?? (If I'm reading what you are saying properly). This is taking the question to the point of tautology and beyond. Plus, it's not my 'silly policy'.

Because in this day and age not every customer is honest and Cries of Retail is full of stories about such chancers. Minority of customers are like this but still it happens

Advertisement