Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daley Thompson and his racist slur

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

biko wrote: »
    meh

standard west brit boards.ie reply, let them insult us all they want, but if it was the other way around - an Irish man insulting an English man then lets rip into him calling him all the names we can think of, joke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

chin_grin wrote: »
    If that's the case wouldn't it be "O'Lympic"?

<gets coat>

... of the Ballydehob O'Lympics, would they be?

<gets goat>

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

to hell with dem:mad: we'll have our own o'lympics begorr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

who_me wrote: »
    ... of the Ballydehob O'Lympics, would they be?

<gets goat>

A goat? And well for them that has them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Every time I hear an Irish joke or slur I remember a headline from the '80's.
    " did you hear the one about the Irishman...."

Went on to tell the story about a trial in london. A big builder built 8 magnificent houses. Poshest of the posh, every detail modern and perfect. Obviously aimed for the middle rich market. Remember things in London were flying then.Then things stalled just as the houses went to market. Builder thinks of plan. He offers to pay first year of mortgage for any buyer. Along comes Irish man. He somehow comes up with a one year mortgage and buys house. He then presents builder with papers requiring builder to pay. Judge rules in favour of Irishman and Irishman gets posh home for free.
    and that is how it always seemed to me - for every thick Irishman theres a dozen playing the eejit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

NinjaK wrote: »
    standard west brit boards.ie reply, let them insult us all they want, but if it was the other way around - an Irish man insulting an English man then lets rip into him calling him all the names we can think of, joke

Pfft, nationalists never ever poke fun at west brits or anyone else, of course. :rolleyes: It was a bit of a joke, get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭geneyuss

Lumbo wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the spelling mistakes/typo's in the Telegraph's report?

Must be an Oirish journo :pac:
    ha yeah, noticed that, he maybe even a black Irishman/woman :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Tabnabs wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9418536/London-2012-Daley-Thompson-accused-of-racism-after-Irish-gag-on-One-Show.html

A slur that's all too common in the UK from my experience. Disappointing that it's trotted out so easily and I hope he regrets the idiocy of the remark.

What's the slur? That Irish people are stupid? Is this seriously common in the UK. :eek:

davet82 wrote: »
    he was born in London to Nigerian and Scotish parents seems abit unfair to send him to Jamaica
    really??? and he's slagging us off,,,,be jaysus, i could have a field day slagging of his dolly mixture genetics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Decathletes, a great bunch of lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Sea Filly wrote: »
    What's the slur? That Irish people are stupid? Is this seriously common in the UK. :eek:
    Yes, it is common unfortunately. I've heard it mentioned a few times in company, if something was done backwards or contrary to common sense it would be described as a bit "Irish". Oblivious to the fact I was present.

So not a direct slur on me, but a throwaway negative stereotype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

He's in the new Daz ad with Barry from Eastenders
    I was just about to ask the thread was that him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

It was just a joke.
    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Constantly seeing Irish people talking about paddies in a derogatory sense on sites like politics.ie.
    Yep, Irish people putting down Irish people non jokingly is far worse IMO - simply because it's so retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mervin J Minky

Onixx wrote: »
    Yep, Irish people putting down Irish people non jokingly is far worse IMO - simply because it's so retarded.

So you think that Irish people insulting other Irish people is retarded? Is that not a total contradiction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

So you think that Irish people insulting other Irish people is retarded? Is that not a total contradiction?
    I'm saying it's retarded not because they're Irish but because of their lack of very basic self awareness, and their glaring inability to spot irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Yes, it is common unfortunately. I've heard it mentioned a few times in company, if something was done backwards or contrary to common sense it would be described as a bit "Irish". Oblivious to the fact I was present.

So not a direct slur on me, but a throwaway negative stereotype.

And that is exactly why comments like Daly Thompson's should not be tolerated. These anti-Irish slurs have been handed down from generation to generation for hundreds of years. Why should we tolerate it?

It is completely unacceptable to make any type of racist comment these days, and rightly so. So why should we put up with centuries old casual prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^

ah will ya go away out of dat, and loosen up

here have a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I couldn't give a toss, honestly.

Its a sad world when we Irish start phoning in to TV stations to complain about something as insignificant as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mervin J Minky

Onixx wrote: »
    I'm saying it's retarded not because they're Irish but because of their lack of very basic self awareness, and their glaring inability to spot irony.

Oh okay, I just thought that you were insulting Irish people who insult other Irish people, I didn't know you you were being ironic.

Well as a non-national I can genuinely say that I really like Irish people and don't really see a real reason to insult the characteristics of the people on this island.

In saying that I do find it strange that a black sports person felt that they needed to insult another race of people, even if it was intended joke, especially after the couple of high profile race rows in English football recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭emo72

havent read the thread. but i hope were not being too precious about this. don't tell me we are turning into a nation of easily offended people. we're a nation of slaggers, lets be man enough to take it(no offence to women there)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

They all look the same

Now saying all black people look the same, that is racist. Are the Irish a race? Not to me anyway. If they are, who are they.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭DenMan

It's about time we had bit more respect for ourselves as a nation. Never heard of him until I started reading about him. You can laugh off a joke/friendly vibe but not when it comes to this man. He has a history of arrogance and rudeness. Even the British public find it hard to warm to him.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/athletics/the-champion-that-time-forgot-why-do-we-find-it-so-hard-to-love-daley-thompson-876424.html

getzls wrote: »
    Now saying all black people look the same, that is racist. Are the Irish a race? Not to me anyway. If they are, who are they.
    red-headed alcoholic boxers usually ,, :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

Samich wrote: »
    Yeah because it's not like we ever slag the British or anything.

I have no problem with it, thought us irish were all about having the craic?

Yes and it is this "having the craic" attitude of excessive drinking, rowdy behaviour and smashing up apartments in Australia, USA, New Zealand etc that helps fuel the stereotypical image of us Irish as drunken thick louts. As a nation that is and will continue to experience high levels of emigration, some of us need to start acting civilised and mature if we ever want to challenge this awful view of us all being stupid and only interested in drink. But sadly some of us never will......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I was a good runner as a kid, I ran cross-country for London and Daley Thompson was my coach, me and a load of other broke inner city kids whose families had feck all money for coaching. He put in countless hours coaching, for free. He was the soundest man I've ever come across and if he wants to make a joke about my mum, that's fine by me, never mind about the Irish. I'm Irish btw. Daley is a gent.:) BTW, most of those kids were London-Irish/black/immigrants so he's already put his money where his mouth is, he's no rascist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

Pottler wrote: »
    I was a good runner as a kid, I ran cross-country for London and Daley Thompson was my coach, me and a load of other broke inner city kids whose families had feck all money for coaching. He put in countless hours coaching, for free. He was the soundest man I've ever come across and if he wants to make a joke about my mum, that's fine by me, never mind about the Irish. I'm Irish btw. Daley is a gent.:) BTW, most of those kids were London-Irish/black/immigrants so he's already put his money where his mouth is, he's no rascist.

I don't think he's a racist, I think he's just a bit thick!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's not a slur, I'm sorry to say it's simply a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Red Alert wrote: »
    It's not a slur, I'm sorry to say it's simply a fact.

What is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

ffs what a non event, a racist slur me hole

talk about overly sensitive people on this thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

kr7 wrote: »
    I don't think he's a racist, I think he's just a bit thick!
    Well that's fair enough so.:D I never claimed he was the brightest either. Nice lad though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement