Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi refuse to travel 3 miles.Guards refuse to help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Seloth wrote: »
    Luckily my friends mother was working so I got lift back :p.

And I coudlnt walk back frozen coutry roads...that are mostly hills!!..it would have takenn me over 3 hours with this time and weather

Come back and whinge when you live 10 miles from town .

Boggers are going soft with their taxis

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Apparently no recession for taxis in Cork. Choosy feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

gazzer wrote: »
    Thats good to know. Does this apply apply to taxis that you might get at a rank or does it apply to hackneys also?

It apply to every single taxi. Not sure about hackneys as don't work as one

mayordenis wrote: »
    I don't think an argument could be made that a Taxi Driver legally would have to drive somewhere if the road conditions were unsafe.

Well considering he said presumably because of the weather he didn't give us a reason which is why I said another taxi story.

Taxis are there to get people home and I've never known a company to say no because of the weather. What's it to the company it's not them driving.

sflemings wrote: »
    Why were people up at 4am replying to this? Should you all not have been in bed? If you are working at that hour why weren't you working instead of being on the internet?

I work as a cab driver and always browse the net waiting on customers that's why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Why were people up at 4am replying to this? Should you all not have been in bed? If you are working at that hour why weren't you working instead of being on the internet?

why are you replying to this at quarter past 9?? should you not be working? and if your on the dole, should you not be sleeping?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The gardai can't make the taxi drivers bring you home, what did you expect them to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Three months of lurking just to post this?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Taxi driver is well within his rights not to bring you if he thought the route might be dangerous due to ice etc. Bus Eireann often do the same. Though you'd expect them to try and bring you home regardless of the risk. " Poor little me, what's this bloody country coming to and all that " :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Magnus wrote: »
    Apparently no recession for taxis in Cork. Choosy feckers.
    It might be a bigger recession for the taxi man if he crashed his car due to sliding on ice now wouldn't it ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

So after leaving the Club of my local town I preceed to head over to the nearest taxi base..when arrving they said they wojnt go towards my place((presumably cause of the weather,ice and such))so I call the other taxi crowed and they say they same.So her I am stuck docn town when my friend said try the guards...so I walk over and ask them is there anything I can do cause neither taxi base will bring me out and I cant getme out and they said "Sorry cant help you"

This a bit of a b***ks tbh.

Lets me get this clear, you came out a c lub (I'm assuming its a night club) and you called the Garda to ask for a lift ....................................

Now thats a bit of a b***ks tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

McArmalite wrote: »
    Taxi driver is well within his rights not to bring you if he thought the route might be dangerous due to ice etc. Bus Eireann often do the same. Though you'd expect them to try and bring you home regardless of the risk. " Poor little me, what's this bloody country coming to and all that " :rolleyes:

I think this is correct.
    As the driver has a legal "Duty Of Care" towards any customers and he is the driver and as such the "agent" for his business, he is ultimately responsible to look at the risk potential and advantages/disadvantages to taking you where you want to go given the current conditions.

Should he decide not to go the route you suggested, he could strongly argue that he is doing so in the interest of the customer (who might have become involved in a possible nasty accident), that he was in current up to date knowledge of the roads of your area and because of such, was taking extra precautions to avoid harm to the customer, himself and transport.

Under relative normal road conditions, he wouldn't have much grounds to use this excuse obviously. Then you would have a stronger case against his refusal to take you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol @ needy people

i'd be pissed if the guards helped you in this situation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Fuckin' Gardai.

Fuckin' Taxi Drivers.

Were either of them foreigners? 'Cuz then we got an AH thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Pfft....should have told the Gardai that you think you left the oven on and there might be a fire. With no taxi's to take you home, they would have obliged. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Pfft....should have told the Gardai that you think you left the oven on and there might be a fire. With no taxi's to take you home, they would have obliged.

Hurrah for abusing Gardai obligations :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Pfft....should have told the Gardai that you think you left the oven on and there might be a fire. With no taxi's to take you home, they would have obliged.

So in theory, you and everyone else here would be paying for this guys taxi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Are ya home yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Exactly me_right_one, I haven't gotten a wink of sleep since last night.

Is a phone call that much to ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Just shove a brick through the nearest shop window and wait for the Gardai to arrive, They will put you up for the night. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I really think Joe Duffy needs to hear about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Just to say too the people who are sayig its only 3 miles...its 3 miles of fecking hills and other weird adn strange geological formations I call the Great Island Paradox...pretty much just a stinken hill :p.

But yeah the people who live in the town by me,they think were I live,despite only being a 5-7 min drive on a good day is ages away!,they litrally belive that I live in the ballybackofnowhere refering to anyone remotly outside the town to a "culchie".

and lads yer a bit late Are ya home yet? already awnsered that :D

The gardai can't make the taxi drivers bring you home, what did you expect them to do?
    And arent by law,guards ment to give you a lift if you ask.Tbh I did feel like a d**k going up to them but I had litrally no options at this stage.

Sher two nights before this event,A minute or so before I reached my house the taxi driver picked up his walkie talkie and starting screaming into it furiously about another taxi driver,litrally he was like one of those screaming drunk guys you see that try and fight everyone.He was yrllin about another tai driver who was taking too many passengers and stuff.Like tbh most of the taxi drivers are grand but there are 3-4 of them in my area that have no rightt be doing the fekcing job.

Just to say too the people who are sayig its only 3 miles...its 3 miles of fecking hills and other weird adn strange geological formations I call the Greta Island Paradox...pretty much just a stinken hill :p.

See them big hills in the south west corner of thine county, some us spent every weekend of our teenage years walking 8 to 9 miles home over them in varying states of inebriation

So youse is just a soft townie and give over with the whinging and start walking

*sigh* I dont live in the town ya spanner:rolleyes:

And I loved o be doing that,Love hill walking,Mountain climbing etc...but walking back drunk,on ice covered roads in the middle of the night by yourself is another thing...its how 3 of my dads friends from his teenage years died so in all fairness lads ye quite complaining about how its not a long walk..Its f**king dangerouse,If it were the day or if I were with a group of people no bother...but walking out by yourself is jsut plainly idiotic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

*sigh* I dont live in the town ya spanner:rolleyes:

And I loved o be doing that,Love hill walking,Mountain climbing etc...but walking back drunk,on ice covered roads in the middle of the night by yourself is another thing...

*sigh* well you'll know now to move into a gaff in the town ya nut :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

And arent by law,guards ment to give you a lift if you ask.Tbh I did feel like a d**k going up to them but I had litrally no options at this stage.

Utter boloxology. This, and Gardi can't arrest you without their hat, and the have to give their hat to a pregnant woman to pee into if she needs to.

Do you check the weather, or have an ounce of common sense? Couple of days of severe frost, and you're crying about not getting a taxi? Ah, sure you were out consuming your own bodyweight in booze, sure that's ok then.

sigh Sofiztikated read the enite thread before making a fecking slash...and actually they have to!,A friends dad once asked and they refused ended up breaking his arm and the guards got in **** for it...I guess its if your in more of a bad state((But have to if you feel your indangered))
    *sigh* well you'll know now to move into a gaff in the town ya nut

Lo I plan to for colledge :p
    I'm loving all the angry responses to this thread,people getting really worked up over my complaint when I was ment to be the angry one heh.Please I invite anyone to walk drunkely over hilley,ice covered roads by yerself and not have an accident.

I'm loving all the angry responses to this thread,people getting really worked up over my complaint when I was ment to be the angry one heh.Please I invite anyone to walk drunkely over hilley,ice covered roads by yerself and not have an accident.

Been there many a time even had the dogs trained not to bark

Best one I ever saw was me mate sound a sleep on his push bike on top of ditch leaning against a tree, drunk as a lord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Please I invite anyone to walk drunkely over hilley,ice covered roads by yerself and not have an accident.

If they were too icy to walk on, driving conditions must also have been pretty treacherous, no?

The roads are really bad my part of the country too for the past couple of nights. => Taxi drivers haven't been working, or any that have are only responding to calls from local customers that they know. => People haven't been going out unless they have an alternative way home. It's just common sense really!

And that thing about Gardai being obliged to bring you home if you ask is absolute bull. Why would anyone bother getting a taxi so, if the Gardai were offering a free transport service? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It was quitesilly for me too go out,both the parents realy didnt like the idea of me doing it but hey,I thought to myself Your only young once:D.

There were people outside after sliding on the pavements on their bums and chests.

and heh tbh a friend said to me they apparnetly got rid of it :rolleyes:...bleh who knowns heh.

But eyah tere abd enough here tood,My Dad whos farm is 20 mins awya near another town had to abandon his jeep a good bit from it on his way from here too there as they were too bad...apparently there were quite a few as well...while the rain yesterday cleared it up...yesterday..Its now forzen over again heh.

Advertisement