Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business closures around the county

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Firblog wrote: »
    Fish shop in Donegal Closed, strange as Starcrest Seafoods were running it, thought it'd be easier for them to make a go of it.

The fish van - out the back of the diamond centre - stopped operating too.

Think Walsh's Butcher's - Marty - doing fish now, just there and Supervalu in Town.
    Aye, only noticed today that Simply Seafood had closed. Honestly, I think it was too far out of town centre. Mind you, it's right beside Walshes EWS butchers. Starcrest took over what Shines started, it seems.

Didn't realise the fish van had gone too - I wonder if having Aldi on his doorstep affected his/her business.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

On topic (sorta) and a question that byte may be able to answer. What happened to the star bar in Donegal? Its gone or else I had too much to drink last night :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭overshoot

muffler wrote: »
    On topic (sorta) and a question that byte may be able to answer. What happened to the star bar in Donegal? Its gone or else I had too much to drink last night :o

Gone for years. Shop and the standard lousy studio apartments (how is no windows in a living area still legal) above it. Little alleyway created to the car park too. Used to be a small unit with a shoemaker in it

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

overshoot wrote: »
    Gone for years.
    Just shows how long it's been since I had a pint in the town

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

overshoot wrote: »
    Gone for years. Shop and the standard lousy studio apartments (how is no windows in a living area still legal) above it. Little alleyway created to the car park too. Used to be a small unit with a shoemaker in it

Did it not become a antique store, or was that Henderson's/O2. Yeah I miss Charlies/The Star Bar my self at times.

• Advertisement
    byte

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Did it not become a antique store, or was that Henderson's/O2. Yeah I miss Charlies/The Star Bar my self at times.
    The Antique store was next door where Hendersons/O2 was alright. That's now moved to where Quinlans newsagents were. I think the ex-O2 is now owned by Kelly's of Kelco/Vodafone.

Rosewoods (womens clothes) is where StarBar used to be, and the alleyway up to carpark and Linda's Krusty Kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Happy Days in the Courtyard closed down?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭donegal_man

CastorTroy wrote: »

Not terribly surprised if thats true. Couple of times I was in there I was pretty much alone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Murray Motors has closed up shop.

byte

Murray Motors has closed up shop.
    Just heard that today, I'd have thought Murray's would have had a good enough trade.

I guess not. Balls for the staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

CastorTroy wrote: »

Closed at the end of June, I think. Moved everything over to their Ballyraine unit.

byte

The Diamond Grill has closed in Donegal Town. Actually not sure how long it's closed, as I never eat there, but can't be more than a few weeks.

Probably too many take-aways in town at the moment, the Taj being the latest addition, where No11 was.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

byte wrote: »
    The Antique store was next door where Hendersons/O2 was alright. That's now moved to where Quinlans newsagents were. I think the ex-O2 is now owned by Kelly's of Kelco/Vodafone.

Rosewoods (womens clothes) is where StarBar used to be, and the alleyway up to carpark and Linda's Krusty Kitchen.

Hadn't noticed a phone shop there my self in the ex-O2 premises.
    byte wrote: »
    The Diamond Grill has closed in Donegal Town. Actually not sure how long it's closed, as I never eat there, but can't be more than a few weeks.

Probably too many take-aways in town at the moment, the Taj being the latest addition, where No11 was.

Just noticed that my self after leaving the pub saturday night. Would have murdered a kebab just about then, had to make do with a 4Lights Taco.

Was No11s way up the Main Street? Noticed a new takeaway up there alright. Kebabs and Pizzas, and the like?

byte

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Hadn't noticed a phone shop there my self in the ex-O2 premises.
    Vodafone went in there temporarily at the start of the year while their own place got an overhaul.
    Just noticed that my self after leaving the pub saturday night. Would have murdered a kebab just about then, had to make do with a 4Lights Taco.

Was No11s way up the Main Street? Noticed a new takeaway up there alright. Kebabs and Pizzas, and the like?

No11 is opposite Doc's Bar (previously MJ's, etc), before you get as far as The National.

Yeah, they do the normal chips, chicken, etc. as well as kebabs and pizzas.

byte

Cafe Coco in the Supervalu shopping centre in Donegal town seems to have closed down.

byte

Movie Madness, the last video rental shop in Donegal Town is closing this week.

I guess video rentals are doomed this day and age, and that XtraVision terminal in SuperValu probably was the final death knell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

The XL petrol station/store in Quigley's Point at the junction of the Carn brae and the Moville - Derry Road closed suddenly in the last few days and is now barricaded off with For Sale signs on it.

:(

byte

Watson Hire has closed in Donegal Town, as of a few weeks ago.

Pity, though I guess there were too many hardware and tool hire places in town already.

I think they closed another premises in Letterkenny too, so it's just the main premises now?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 michael031987

I hear that Seoirse O'Toole, the current leaseholder of the Olde Castle Bar in Donegal town is giving it up in January. I wonder who is going to take it over now or what is going to happen to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Since was down that way I checked and Xtravision is closed in Letterkenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

teds bike shop donegal town closing - real shame.

byte

teds bike shop donegal town closing - real shame.

Yeah, saw that on their Facebook page. I was quite surprised tbh! I thought he'd be doing an OK trade with that fine shop. Plus, the other bike shop in Waterloo Place closed recently.

I don't know if Kee's of Laghey still have their bike shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭donegal_man

The shop that opened in what used to be Joe Gallagher's (Joe Bid) in Letterkenny didn't last long, was in town today and see the for let signs up again. The Main Street is going to end up a bit of a wilderness I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,064 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The shop that opened in what used to be Joe Gallagher's (Joe Bid) in Letterkenny didn't last long, was in town today and see the for let signs up again. The Main Street is going to end up a bit of a wilderness I fear.

Jesus, was that even 6 months it lasted?
    Edit: acvording to the business opening/reopening thread, it opened at the end of nov/start of dec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

I wonder has La Fantasia in Letterkenny shut? Their Tripadvisor page has been shut down and I've tried to ring them several times to no avail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

I wonder has La Fantasia in Letterkenny shut? Their Tripadvisor page has been shut down and I've tried to ring them several times to no avail.

Drove past the other day, appears to be closed. <Mod: Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Flibbles wrote: »
    Drove past the other day, appears to be closed. <SNIP>.

Food and service had gone to **** last time I was there. From how it started off, he just seemed to have lost the plot. Countless times he would go on a rant about suppliers on Facebook only for him to delete the comments the next morning.

byte

Is that the place that used to be out near the Dry Arch roundabout where the NCT centre is?

Used to have fantastic food, but I haven't been in since it moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Open tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

Advertisement