Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF Aengus O'Snodaigh has claimed €50,000 in expenses for Printer Ink

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

JustinDee wrote: »
    She also passed the blame on to "the system".

This I find hilarious!

Pilfering your workplace is fine as long as you arent specifically breaking any rules........

Obviously ethical behaviour is beyond them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

mike65 wrote: »
    I've seen 3.5 million pages of A4 mentioned, a 1000 pages of "80 gm" paper weights 5 KGs so that's 17.5 tonnes of paper. Where was he getting the paper? How did he get it from a to b? Then there is the distribution of same, was it done door to door by SF volunteers?

I wonder does he have receipts for this quantity of paper??

somehow I doubt it, he should resign.......obviously he wont though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

SF used to have blood on their hands, now its ink...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

A. There is a print facility, free of charge within LH.....Election Materials excluded!

B. The paper would have come from the same place the toner cartridges did and would also have been paid for by the taxpayer!

C. There is no limit on photocopying and no Usercodes:eek:

He would have had 2 printers within his office suite one for him, if he did not opt for a laptop, and one for his secretary, he locates them where he likes......when the Parliamentary Asst's came on line he would have been provided with an additional office suite, again the P/A would have had the option of a laptop.

I have worked in Admin and mailmerged like crazy....don't think I've used that many Toner's in the whole of my career, let alone 2 years and I doubt he has either. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

It does not surprise me. This is an absolute disgrace by Sinn Fein. They should be forced to apologise immediately. You can see from this very thread how annoyed people are at this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ah now the jokes are in! Loving the trolling guys!
    A CHILDREN’S CHARITY has written to the Sinn Féin TD Aengus Ó Snodaigh to ask if he would consider donating his spent printer cartridges to it in order to raise funds.

The Jack and Jill Children’s Foundation, which helps young children suffering from severe neurological development issues, has written to Ó Snodaigh in light of today’s revelation that the TD took over €50,000 worth of printer cartridges in just two years between 2007 and 2008.

Ó Snodaigh has defended his use of Oireachtas resources saying he “would have been known as the most prolific leafleters in the country” in a radio interview this morning.

The children’s charity hopes to benefit from Ó Snodaigh’s extensive use of ink cartridges for printing as it recycles those and other material such as old mobile phones and computer games in order to raise money for nursing care support for children who have neurological issues due to brain damage.

“It is slightly tongue-in-cheek,” the charity’s CEO Jonathan Irwin told TheJournal.ie. “I just thought if he really has done this, he might feel he might be able to give them to our children.

“We’ve recycled them as a consistent earner for about ten years,” he said, adding that he hoped that Ó Snodaigh would at least respond to the request.

Recycling is a big part of Jack & Jill’s fundraising drive, as the charity must raise €2.7 million per annum in order to operate. A fifth of its funding comes from the State.

The Dublin South-Central TD could not be reached for comment on whether or not he would consider the proposal.

http://www.thejournal.ie/charity-wants-o-snodaighs-spent-ink-cartridges-to-raise-funds-368804-Feb2012/?new_comment=1#comment-282668

How much ink and paper will be used in the event Aengus replies? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Patser

finty wrote: »
    I wonder does he have receipts for this quantity of paper??

somehow I doubt it, he should resign.......obviously he wont though

I've been wondering about this all day too. They were estimating on the radio today (Newstalk) that that amount of printers would print about 3 million pages. That wouldn't be a cheap amount of paper. So was O'Snodaigh claiming for this as well, which would be expected if he was printing the stuff for himself? I mean if he's claiming the cartridges why not for millions of sheets of paper.

If he's not claiming for the paper, surely there's an implication that the cartredges were being used by someone else, that was supplying the paper. Has there been any receipts shown for the paper needed for all the 'literature' he was printing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Ó Snodaigh has done nothing wrong. He was entitled to the ink in accordance with the allowances at the time.

RTE carried a comprehensive report on the issue on tonight's edition of Six One yet they did not mention Ruairí Quinn's FALSE mileage claim last week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

yourpics wrote: »
    Ó Snodaigh has done nothing wrong. He was entitled to the ink in accordance with the allowances at the time.

RTE carried a comprehensive report on the issue on tonight's edition of Six One yet they did not mention Ruairí Quinn's FALSE mileage claim last week.

I would say he did nothing illegal - whether or not it was wrong is an entirely different matter.

What does Quinn's missing miles have to do with this? Two wrongs do not make a right and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Yep, he has done nothing wrong, just like Bertie, Lawlor, Callely, burke, Cooper-Flynn etc. etc. etc. did nothing wrong.

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I would say he did nothing illegal - whether or not it was wrong is an entirely different matter.

What does Quinn's missing miles have to do with this? Two wrongs do not make a right and all that.

Quinn made a false claim - no RTE coverage

Ó Snodaigh claimed what he was entitled to - full blown RTE coverage

I agree with the "illegal" and also the "wrong".
    My point is that he didn't do anything illegal, but he did use the system excessively.

Yep, he has done nothing wrong, just like Bertie, Lawlor, Callely, burke, Cooper-Flynn etc. etc. etc. did nothing wrong.

Ó Snodaigh (as far as we know) did not gain financially from this nor did he ruin the country or peoples lives.

Quinn made a false claim - no RTE coverage

Ó Snodaigh claimed what he was entitled to - full blown RTE coverage

Create a thread on the Quinn issue then. nothing stopping you and we will comment on that, otherwise, is it not trying to distract and drag the issue at hand off topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That sounds like an answer FF or FG supporters would give which is exactly why it is so wrong.

It's classic "look, squirrel" political whataboutery which shows they all really are the same.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Create a thread on the Quinn issue then. nothing stopping you and we will comment on that, otherwise, is it not trying to distract and drag the issue at hand off topic?

I am not trying to drag it off topic, I am merely pointing out the media biasis.

Anyway, the main thrust of my point is that he didn't do anything illegal.
    However, I am not saying what he did was OK though.

Ó Snodaigh (as far as we know) did not gain financially from this nor did he ruin the country or peoples lives.

Well we do not know what is going on. But someone working class with a working class constituency who blabs on about the working class and fights for the working class does certainly not claim 50000 in two years for ink when most of his constituents probably earn less then that in two years wages.

Someone gained from this...

K-9 wrote: »
    That sounds like an answer FF or FG supporters would give which is exactly why it is so wrong.

It's classic "look, squirrel" political whataboutery which shows they all really are the same.

No I am not a FF or FG supporter.

I am not trying to drag it off topic, I am merely pointing out the media biasis.

Well it is good you admit it was not okay. As a matter of interest, can you give a link to the quinn story please?

No - he just saw something he was 'entitled' to and helped himself. Same attitude as ruined the country.

Well it is good you admit it was not okay. As a matter of interest, can you give a link to the quinn story please?

It seems another controversy has arisen around Quinn, see both links:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/quinn-unable-to-detail-4000km-of-expensed-travel-184468.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2106567/Ruairi-Quinn-claims-2-800KM-9-days-work.html

Mods: just answering another poster, not attempting to bring the thread off-topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No I am not a FF or FG supporter.

Indeed, kind of gathered that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/quinn-unable-to-detail-4000km-of-expensed-travel-184468.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2106567/Ruairi-Quinn-claims-2-800KM-9-days-work.html

Mods: just answering another poster, not attempting to bring the thread off-topic

Well, I think everyone will join you in saying that is another example of expenses being a joke.

But, that is for another thread and it actually shows it is getting attention in the media.

Back to the Inky bandit though. That is a hell of a lot more money and if the maximum is 2000 a year now, he really does have to explain what has happened and should pay it back in full.

The figure of 3,000,000 pages has been put about, I wonder though if you printed glossy flyers would it use more ink in less pages, if you know what I mean.

€50 to replace the ink in my printer!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,488 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Used to know a lad who would take sandwiches home from from a party in his pockets. Nothing wrong with this except that it's messy and greedy. He probably fed his extended "family" too.

Used to know a lad who would take sandwiches home from from a party in his pockets. Nothing wrong with this except that it's messy and greedy. He probably fed his extended "family" too.

Probably had rubber-lined pockets for soup aswell!

The figure of 3,000,000 pages has been put about, I wonder though if you printed glossy flyers would it use more ink in less pages, if you know what I mean.

€50 to replace the ink in my printer!

eh, clutching at straws here. Be honest, if this were a FF, FG or Lab TD, would you be this considerate? The answer most obvious is no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

There's a sweet irony that Sinn Fein seek to usurp Fianna Fail's claim to be 'the' Republican party in the State as they are already indistinguishable if this printing ink fiasco is anything to go by.

Don't vote it only encourages them!

eh, clutching at straws here. Be honest, if this were a FF, FG or Lab TD, would you be this considerate? The answer most obvious is no.

In fairness I was actually a LAB supporter in the last election, even canvassed for them, but now I am a disillusioned LAB supporter, hence my Quinn rant.

My point about glossy printing etc is that this might explain Ó Snodaigh's penchant for ink!

The point is that SF are the first to shout and roar about such behaviour - and it should be roared about - the problem is that when SF TDs expenses and claiming of entitlements like free ink are examined its clear their snouts are as deep in the trough as the rest of them.

If SF want to take the high moral ground they should make damn sure their own house is in order first. But instead when it's pointed out that their public stance may be a touch hypocritical they revert to old school FF speak of 'did nothing illegal', 'working the system', 'entitled to it' etc etc.

This country is crying out for genuinely accountable public representatives rather then spin doctors out to wringe everything they can from the system. SF like to claim they are accountable - but the records paint a very different story. SF are just like the rest of our useless, self-serving political elite.
    I'm sick of the lot of 'em. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

The difference in media coverage for Minister Quinn's illegal actions and TD Ó Snodaigh's legal use of ink for his constituency is an interesting aspect of this issue.

Indeed it's the only interesting aspect really, since otherwise this story amounts to "politician uses lots of ink".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement