Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap Rent Allowance

Options
  • 12-03-2012 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Rent allowance should be scrapped. It is keeping rents at a ridiculously high level and is hurting those on low wages like myself who are actually trying to contribute to this country. Rents in Dublin are still a fortune and it is because this handout scheme has created a floor in the market.
    In 2011 the Government paid €500m in rent to landlords for 94,000 social welfare tenants living in private apartments and houses.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0116/rent.html

500,000,000euro/94,000 = €5,319

I focking hate this government handout society we have become.

Why on earth would pyjama girl take a minimum wage job when she gets €9,776 on the dole and free accommodation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ok. Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Joko wrote: »
    Rent allowance should be scrapped. It is keeping rents at a ridiculously high level and is hurting those on low wages like myself who are actually trying to contribute to this country. Rents in Dublin are still a fortune and it is because this handout scheme has created a floor in the market.

Why on earth would pyjama girl take a minimum wage job when she gets €9,776 on the dole and free accommodation.

Yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

If only we had thousands upon thousands of empty homes on the states books that we could put to good use.

Oh well, yeah cut rent allowance. People can sleep on the streets, gonna be mild enough from now on anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

go write another book mr o carroll kelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

So people who are out of work should be made homeless?

• Advertisement

Indeed. Ship everyone currently out of work to Leitrim, Cavan, Carlow and wherever else these empty houses are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Indeed. Ship everyone currently out of work to Leitrim, Cavan, Carlow and wherever else these empty houses are.

Why not just ship them the whole way to australia or canada, job done:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭TreesAreCrowd

There are people who genuinely need it, and there are leeches who gamed the system for a long time now who should be dealt with. It isn't fair to deal with the latter in a manner that destroys the lives of the former.

Ergo, it is the long term welfare recipients who need to be dealt with as a broader group, not a targeted attack on a specific form of welfare.

Doesn't go far enough. Shoot em I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

You do know not everyone on rent allowance wears PJ's right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Shut up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

lets have a fight

taxpayers versus dole scroungers

M cebee wrote: »
    lets have a fight

taxpayers versus dole scroungers

Round 999298017869187697691916:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Okay fine,it's been scrapped,now go away.

Signed,

Everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

So a system designed to help people with no job should be scrapped because you are on low wages?

Rent Allowance does get abused but the majority of people need it. It is also a big player in forcing rents down when it gets cut, which it has again. Bet you'll see a drop in rents as landlords have to adjust for the drop, so its all good, even for you.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I'd like to know why the OP is too lazy to go out and get a better paying job.

MungBean wrote: »
    I'd like to know why the OP is too lazy to go out and get a better paying job.

Or not lazy enough to quit their job to get the rent allowence;)

OP, there's loads of options:D

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

For gods sake man. Will you not think of the landlords. They deserve our help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

In fairness if the ops figures are correct that's roughly €450 a month per person. Seems reasonably high.

What really needs to happen is to stop forcing people to take the piss.

A person without a job will get no money if living at home (well means tested), but gets the dole and rent allowance if they moves out. Why not give them some money while at home so they dont have to move out!? And also while im here ranting... for the love of god change it to be hours worked welfare , not days! My girlfriend got a job working a 12 hour contract in a shop, 3 x 4hour days.. was on less than when she started, and she had to pay to go to work (had to buy clothes from that shop too) Great incentive to work

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Lots of other countries give you help for a few months then 0. It's a good incentive to get a job and become independent or Fcuk off somewhere else. I'm particularly talking about whole families who have never worked even during the boom.

This cradle to grave welfare wonderland is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

How dare you suggest that about people who never worked a day
    in their lives! What about single mothers, think of the children! :rolleyes:

Their the likely replys on this op but i aggree with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

State funded rental schemes account for over 50% of the entire rental market at a cost of around €650 million a year.

You can't make people homeless by not paying it, but you can certainly get better value for money. It's yet another area where our government fail to try & gain some benefit from economies of scale. Instead of using the massive buying power that €650 million gets you, the rental schemes actually drive the costs of rentals up across the board.

And yet, there's not even simple checks to ensure that all landlords who receive rent supplements from the government are tax compliant.

It would make a hell of a lot of sense for the government to move people away from rent supplements over to a more sustainable method of providing rental accommodation.

risteard7 wrote: »
    How dare you suggest that about people who never worked a day
    in their lives! What about single mothers, think of the children! :rolleyes:

Scroungers the lot of them especially the children!:p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭TreesAreCrowd

I will agree on one thing though, rent allowance is keeping the rent levels in the country artificially high.

The cost of living has remained ridiculously high here as a result of these measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

for the love of god change it to be hours worked welfare , not days! My girlfriend got a job working a 12 hour contract in a shop, 3 x 4hour days.. was on less than when she started, and she had to pay to go to work (had to buy clothes from that shop too) Great incentive to work

It's a sad fact that the biggest competitor in both the rental & lesser paid employment markets is, in fact, the government.

It's a sad fact that the biggest competitor in both the rental & lesser paid employment markets is, in fact, the government.

:confused::confused::confused:

Do you mean those on Social Welfare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

OP I dont think it quite works that way. If you are in an area of the country that you are allowed to rent a property of up to 430 euros per month you are allowed roughly about 280 towards that. You must make up the difference yourself. So for a person on 188 per week it leaves them with about 150 per week to pay for everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Stop working
    Acquire Rent Allowance
    ????
    Profit

Owen_S wrote: »
    Stop working
    Acquire Rent Allowance
    Sell free communion dresses
    Profit

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Owen_S wrote: »
    Stop working
    Acquire Rent Allowance
    ????
    Profit

Then sublet for more profit - simples.;)

Advertisement