Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gentlemen, what defines a man as a 'pussy' in your opinion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Men who like to press wild flowers and have buttered scones for tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

People who drive Nissan Micras.

No way, Any idiot can be a boy racer in a Honda Civic. It takes a real man to drive a micra and not give a sh!t what people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭amacca

A "pussy" to me is someone who won't take the risk to get what he wants, such as stewing in the friend zone because he couldn't make a move.

well call me a pussy and whip me silly......I was that soldier

A pussy is someone who goes with the general consensus on everything, with no opinions of their own, but who will gladly talk behind peoples backs. 2 Faced backstabbing cravens!

Also alot of the 'Tough guys' you meet who seem to want everyone to think they are macho, they are usually the biggest pussys of all. The guys who have their own minds, and don't jump on every bandwagon that happens to pass, they are the real men.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

People who square up threatening to kick the **** out of each other without doing anything.

If it comes to blows you should have the balls to throw the first punch. If it doesn't you just stood in the street trying to be the hard man for 5 minutes like a prick.

Your inability to make a decision to either start throwing punches or to walk way makes you look like an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭hardbackwriter

A pussy is someone who goes with the general consensus on everything, with no opinions of their own, but who will gladly talk behind peoples backs. 2 Faced backstabbing cravens!

Also alot of the 'Tough guys' you meet who seem to want everyone to think they are macho, they are usually the biggest pussys of all. The guys who have their own minds, and don't jump on every bandwagon that happens to pass, they are the real men.

Just because a guy isn't opinionated with a view on everything from Israel pallestine to gender quotas, doesn't make him a pussy, some people are unassuming , the strong silent type is under attack theese days

Just because a guy isn't opinionated with a view on everything from Israel pallestine to gender quotas, doesn't make him a pussy, some people are unassuming , the strong silent type is under attack theese days

No I didn't mean that. I mean people who are yes men , will compliment someone to their face and then slag them later with another crowd.
    you know the type, ****. Nothing wrong with being quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

A lot of the things people are mentioning here seem to be due to shyness. I'd be hesitant to use the term "pussy" against a shy person (though I don't think I'd use it against anyone: nasty word pre-loaded with so many outdated assumptions) as there could be so many mitigating factors causing their shyness.
    Of course shyness can be overcome, but for some people there are a lot of obstacles to that.
    People who won't stand by what they have said.

People who will not stand in if a friend is getting a beating.

I think that's it really.

It's funny, people take the "big car = real man" idea is not universal at all. Go to any city in Italy, home of petrolheads and stereotypes of outward machismo covering fragile egos, and you won't see a saloon car anywhere, as everyone knows it makes no sense to drive a big car in a city where most people drive.

I've never understood the prejudice against men driving a small car. If you live in a city it doesn't really make a difference what car you drive as your top speed/engine size don't come into it and a smaller car is often more practical.
    Spending more for a bigger car (spending more for other advantages or personal preference is fair enough) just because it's bigger, especially if you can't afford it, seems absurd.
    I don't understand how someone can link an object with the person's personality. It just doesn't seem logical.
    1. Owns big car.
    2. ????
    3. Is therefore masculine somehow.

It's the same thing with dogs. I'm more likely to think a guy with a chihuahua on a lead is more comfortable with himself than a guy with a pit bull or a big dog, as the former doesn't care what people think of him, whereas the other is clearly concerned with projecting a macho image to others, based on conventional images of masculinity, and is therefore probably insecure.

Solair wrote: »
    Usually I find it's outwardly macho guys who spend their lives being paranoid about people thinking they might be a pussy!

Fragile egos!

This.
    If I did use the term, it would probably be for such people. It's one thing to be insecure about how people see you. Most people experience that to some extent. It's another to avoid that issue, and instead of trying to increase one's self-esteem, putting on a farcical act to try to impress others.

I do especially loathe those types who will lash out against people they perceive* as weaker than them. If picking on an easy target is the only way you can make yourself feel better, you're a pretty weak individual.

Also, men so threatened by women that they perceive any movements towards gender equality as attacks on masculinity and attempts to forcibly change men. What I find most worrying are the men whose default setting is anger towards women that even if faced with women making reasonable points and even arguing for the case of disadvantaged men, they'll still imagine radical feminists attempting to turn men into women where there are none. You don't have to go too far to find examples of that.

So while I don't use the word "pussy," if I did, I might use it to describe such insecure men.

*"perceive," because they don't always get it right :D*
    EDIT: like my attempts to embed this video!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

mickrock wrote: »
    Men who like to press wild flowers and have buttered scones for tea.

I disagree. If a man does the above & is proud of the fact - he ain't a pussy.

A 'pussy' to me is someone who:
    is unwilling to stand up for themselves & what they do/believe in
    is unwilling to defend others (esp. kids, women, older/weaker folk)
    bullies/abuses others (esp. kids, women, older/weaker folk)
    is a hipster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Buttered scones are savage, ye call all **** off.
    With jam too.

Jake187 wrote: »

But as for courage? a man who is well capable of handling himself but chooses to defuse a fight can be seen as courage. As he can leave himself open for a cheap shot. A man who refuses to fight because its not it him is ANYTHING but courage.

If you're well capable of handling yourself and trying to defuse a situation rather than getting stuck in you can still protect yourself against a cheap shot by distance and stance, also if you are well capable you'll have the cheap shot blocked and can tell the "assailant" he'd want to throw the next one a lot faster, that tends to diffuse situations quite nicely.

I'd never hold it against someone for not fighting back even in self defence, some folk are good at soccer, some are good with computers, some aren't good providers and squander money, some aren't good at making advances on ladies they fancy, some are afraid of spiders and some even when they'd prefer to just don't have it in them to get involved in a physical altercation even in self defence.

However, instinctively I think to try and protect their loved ones everyone has it in them, most just don't realise it and thankfully never will be in a situation where they'll find out.

I think every man one has certain characteristics that could mark them out as a pussy by other men, the trick is the realise your own weaknesses and respect those of others imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Ego is a quintessentially male thing , a pussy wouldn't have an ego in the first place

the term pussy might be a bit harsh however , metrosexual might be more appropriate , someone like Tom dunne on newstalk who seems happiest when discussing lactating mothers or wallpapering bedrooms

Baschically, a man who seems to naturally empathise with women on any topic , deep down , most women have nothing but contempt for men like this bar a minority of feminist lesbianism who see them as usefull idiots

I couldn't disagree more!

What the hell is wrong witha man understanding women? Being a middle aged dad who is interested in looking after his kids and his home?

Men and women aren't at odds with eachother!

is a hipster

Nice touch there at the end :cool:

A lot of the things people are mentioning here seem to be due to shyness. I'd be hesitant to use the term "pussy" against a shy person (though I don't think I'd use it against anyone: nasty word pre-loaded with so many outdated assumptions) as there could be so many mitigating factors causing their shyness.
    Of course shyness can be overcome, but for some people there are a lot of obstacles to that.
    People who won't stand by what they have said.

People who will not stand in if a friend is getting a beating.

I think that's it really.

It's funny, people take the "big car = real man" idea is not universal at all. Go to any city in Italy, home of petrolheads and stereotypes of outward machismo covering fragile egos, and you won't see a saloon car anywhere, as everyone knows it makes no sense to drive a big car in a city where most people drive.

I've never understood the prejudice against men driving a small car. If you live in a city it doesn't really make a difference what car you drive as your top speed/engine size don't come into it and a smaller car is often more practical.
    Spending more for a bigger car (spending more for other advantages or personal preference is fair enough) just because it's bigger, especially if you can't afford it, seems absurd.
    I don't understand how someone can link an object with the person's personality. It just doesn't seem logical.
    1. Owns big car.
    2. ????
    3. Is therefore masculine somehow.

It's the same thing with dogs. I'm more likely to think a guy with a chihuahua on a lead is more comfortable with himself than a guy with a pit bull or a big dog, as the former doesn't care what people think of him, whereas the other is clearly concerned with projecting a macho image to others, based on conventional images of masculinity, and is therefore probably insecure.

Usually I find it's outwardly macho guys who spend their lives being paranoid about people thinking they might be a pussy!

Fragile egos!

This.
    If I did use the term, it would probably be for such people. It's one thing to be insecure about how people see you. Most people experience that to some extent. It's another to avoid that issue, and instead of trying to increase one's self-esteem, putting on a farcical act to try to impress others.

I do especially loathe those types who will lash out against people they perceive* as weaker than them. If picking on an easy target is the only way you can make yourself feel better, you're a pretty weak individual.

Also, men so threatened by women that they perceive any movements towards gender equality as attacks on masculinity and attempts to forcibly change men. What I find most worrying are the men whose default setting is anger towards women that even if faced with women making reasonable points and even arguing for the case of disadvantaged men, they'll still imagine radical feminists attempting to turn men into women where there are none. You don't have to go too far to find examples of that.

So while I don't use the word "pussy," if I did, I might use it to describe such insecure men.

*"perceive," because they don't always get it right :D*
    EDIT: like my attempts to embed this video!

not caring what people think of you is over rated and is IMO strictly for eccentrics if taken to a full extent, as for this business of insecure men needing to project a traditional male Immage , has it ever occurred to you that that is thier real self , feminist thinking having become mainstream has brought about a mindset that traditional masculine traits are dysfunctional and effectively a mental disorder which needs curing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Hemmingway's men are the antithesis of pussies. Stoic, intelligent, courageous, romantic and willing to fight when nessecary. It's not about swinging at some idiot who bumps into you in a nightclub or playing at somebody's little alpha/beta games, in my mind it's about living how you want to live and defending that from the assaults of day to day life, whatever they may be.

Being caught up in the whole notion of being or not being a pussy is not how I want to live my life.

Wasn't Hemingway a homosexual?

I disagree. If a man does the above & is proud of the fact - he ain't a pussy.

A 'pussy' to me is someone who:
    is unwilling to stand up for themselves & what they do/believe in
    is unwilling to defend others (esp. friends, kids, women, older/weaker folk)
    bullies/abuses others (esp. kids, women, older/weaker folk)
    is a hipster

Agreed, but I added "friends" to that list.

I've seen plenty of situations where someone is squaring up to someone else who clearly didn't mean any harm when they bumped into them or otherwise offended them and their friends were unsure about whether or not they should try to diffuse it. They're too concerned over their own well-being even though they know their friend could get decked.

It really irritates me to see that.

I've immeasurable respect for people who discard all those doubts and uncertainties that cross their mind in those situations and react anyway.

Edit -
    I think that's my definition of a pussy;

People who, when they find themselves in an unusual or volatile situation, let their doubts and uncertainties get the best of them and as a result fail to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

not caring what people think of you is over rated and is IMO strictly for eccentrics if taken to a full extent, as for this business of insecure men needing to project a traditional male Immage , has it ever occurred to you that that is thier real self , feminist thinking having become mainstream has brought about a mindset that traditional masculine traits are dysfunctional and effectively a mental disorder which needs curing

I know lots of men who would have traits considered traditionally masculine: physically strong, not worried about being weak, considering themselves the breadwinner in their relationship etc. and none of them put on brash outward shows of machismo, because they know they conform to what they see as being masculine, and are happy and comfortable with that.

I also know some men who do put on big shows of machismo, and from what I know of them, they're quite insecure and are putting on these shows to try to convince themselves and others of their worthiness.

Obviously I can't speak for every case in the world, but I can extrapolate from these cases and others I observe to recognise a general trend.

As for people concerned with how other people see oneself: it's unavoidable to an extent, we're only human and can't help seeking others' approval to an extent. But caring too much about how one appears to others means neglecting one's own ego, and making oneself happy. You mentioned earlier that ego is an inherently male trait, so don't you think caring about how others see you is fairly incompatible with having a big ego?

As to the bolded part, I think that's a bit extreme. I don't know anyone of either gender who thinks that, or any elements of society which institutionalise such a position.
    Can you give any examples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Ima gonna break it down for you:

Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes: assholes that just want to shìt on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fuck an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they fuck too much or fuck when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of shìt that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from ass holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

TheZohan wrote: »
    Ima gonna break it down for you:

Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes: assholes that just want to shìt on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fuck an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they fuck too much or fuck when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of shìt that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from ass holes.

Word. *tokes on a fat joint

• Advertisement

I know lots of men who would have traits considered traditionally masculine: physically strong, not worried about being weak, considering themselves the breadwinner in their relationship etc. and none of them put on brash outward shows of machismo, because they know they conform to what they see as being masculine, and are happy and comfortable with that.

I also know some men who do put on big shows of machismo, and from what I know of them, they're quite insecure and are putting on these shows to try to convince themselves and others of their worthiness.

Obviously I can't speak for every case in the world, but I can extrapolate from these cases and others I observe to recognise a general trend.

As for people concerned with how other people see oneself: it's unavoidable to an extent, we're only human and can't help seeking others' approval to an extent. But caring too much about how one appears to others means neglecting one's own ego, and making oneself happy. You mentioned earlier that ego is an inherently male trait, so don't you think caring about how others see you is fairly incompatible with having a big ego?

As to the bolded part, I think that's a bit extreme. I don't know anyone of either gender who thinks that, or any elements of society which institutionalise such a position.
    Can you give any examples?

you can have a big ego while at the same time having low self esteem , a person who is concerned about what others think of them to an unhealthy degree is more typical of low self esteem than anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's a bit of a stupid term anyway, coming from pussy cat. Considering that cats may look cute but are actually heavily armed hunters with moves that would make a ninja look clumsy and they tend to be ruthless vicious types too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

True but he is 5ft1 and overweight so I would judge the situation to see if he was anyway nifty with the bat and, if not, take the bat and give him a kick in the arse for his trouble.
    If he was a 5ft1 overweight ninja then I would run.

Ok fair enough, I forgot that all men carrying bats were small and overweight... my bad!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

'Pussy'. It's such an odd term.

Likening ones behaviour to female genitalia. Offensive to men and women. It really speaks volumes about our concept and confidence of our masculinity. What is masculine? Well while being culturally relevant, I think it is partially, to me, it is a set of attitudes and behaviours men typically exhibit. And I think that these, while not actually inherent, what does make us masculine rather than a social norm, or public opinion, or a cultural phenomena would be inherent due to hormones and our brain, both of which are markedly different to women's.

Any way I would believe what the term 'pussy' is trying to articulate is, being less male; or less assertive, or for idiots; being a homosexual.

Personally I would use a similar term for people who lack conviction, to vacillate; a vacillator, but lacking conviction is not always a bad thing and can be quite advantageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

So ..
    IrishEyes.

No matter what the situation is, if someone attacks me, say for no reason. I should run away? No self-defense. Nothing. Just make my exit. No matter what. Take a punch? walk alway. Get something thrown at me? walk away.

Because I am a 'barbian' to do anything other.
    Ok. got you. :rolleyes:

Pretty much yes.

If their is an option to walk away then you should allways take it. The only time I can see where fighting is worth it is to defend an innocent who is weaker then you or to defend yourself from some reall physical harm (and I am not talking about a bruised ego)

A pussy is someone who as an adult is completely incapeable of looking after themselves or of standing up for themselves.

A man who cannot change a wheel in their car, or is afraid to get their hands dirty. Someone who cares more about what people think of their appearance then what they think of them. A man who caters to fasion even when it is completely unsuitable or impractical.

Someone who will fight a guy smaller than them for no reason than to protect their ego but will walk past a woman getting mugged or a someone being beaten up by a group of thugs.

knipex wrote: »
    So ..
    IrishEyes.

No matter what the situation is, if someone attacks me, say for no reason. I should run away? No self-defense. Nothing. Just make my exit. No matter what. Take a punch? walk alway. Get something thrown at me? walk away.

Because I am a 'barbian' to do anything other.
    Ok. got you. :rolleyes:

Pretty much yes.

If their is an option to walk away then you should allways take it. The only time I can see where fighting is worth it is to defend an innocent who is weaker then you or to defend yourself from some reall physical harm (and I am not talking about a bruised ego)

A pussy is someone who as an adult is completely incapeable of looking after themselves or of standing up for themselves.

A man who cannot change a wheel in their car, or is afraid to get their hands dirty. Someone who cares more about what people think of their appearance then what they think of them. A man who caters to fasion even when it is completely unsuitable or impractical.

Someone who will fight a guy smaller than them for no reason than to protect their ego but will walk past a woman getting mugged or a someone being beaten up by a group of thugs.

so it's correct to tell your son that he should walk away if physically bullied in school , I find that attitude extraordinary stupid and what's this thing about egos in every second post , humiliation dents egos , what's so great about taking it lying down ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Okay I have a thing that makes me tut-tut when I see men doing it.

Men who scrunch up their faces and scream and run when it starts to rain - as if the rain was some type of acid that was going to melt their skin.

Now I can forgive a woman for getting freaked out about the rain because they spend thousands of €uro$ a week on their hair so it needs to be protected from vicious vindictive raindrops - but men?

I'm also a bit old fashioned in that I'd never carry an umbrella. Worrying about getting wet is just something I never do when I leave the cave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Those men that go into the cubicle to pee.

It's a bit of a stupid term anyway, coming from pussy cat. Considering that cats may look cute but are actually heavily armed hunters with moves that would make a ninja look clumsy and they tend to be ruthless vicious types too!

Sindri has it it right. Pussy, in reference to a person, doesn't come from "pussy cat", it comes from term for lady bits. Why is a lady's bit called "pussy"?

"The medieval French word pucelle referred to a young adolescent girl or a virgin, although this comes from a slang term for virginity puce (= flea) rather than referring to cats (but cf. French chatte (female cat), a current vulgarism for the female genitalia). In the 17th century, the term was also used to refer to women in general."

According to Wiki anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

If he drinks skimmed milk.

It's in a pink carton, you big girl!

But it's got such an excellent protein to fat ratio! And those cartons are really more of a salmon, anyway!

Advertisement