Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of Thrones [HBO & Sky Atlantic] **Spoilers** (Read Warning Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

Just after cracking into the first few episodes of this and must say I'm rather enjoying this, this will fill the void that was left after stargate universe was cancelled!

Neat little thing is one of my friends is assistant foley artist on it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

donfers wrote: »
    i think a moutain has been made out of a molehill here to be honest

for the third time i haven't read the books so i don't know how i can possibly spoil anything

i just threw out a few theories/questions that could be completely wrong/off the mark based on what has been shown on tv so far, anyway i won't do that again as i know it can cause confusion

i just think this is a very complex situation as some people are way ahead of us having read the books and they too are watching the tv show, on top of that the books and tv show differ in certain aspects and that further confuses so i imagine this show is a tough baby to mod

on other tv show threads like lost, people throwing theories and speculation about what was going to happen was actively encoouraged but here of course that is problematic because if one does that then s/he may be accused of spoiling (which as someone has mentioned is a spoil in itself because the accusation of spoiling by someone who has read the book suggests the wild speculator could be on the right track)

just because you haven't read the book doesn't mean that you didn't read something and repeat it, that did spoil it, it seemed quite specific, i don't think you could have speculated that without having read something somewhere. is it true book readers?

ah jaysus, i haven't read the bukes at all, i am just clutching at straws for jorey's return, what a sneaky way for jamie lannister to kill him

i thought it was made clear in the first episode that the white walkers have a vampire thingy going on whereby if they kill you, you become one of them, maybe i picked that up wrong

jorey was an unbelievable character and is a sad loss to the show unless he returns in ghost/white walker form

incidentally when are we getting back to the wall and when are we going to learn more about the white walkers? maybe ned's brother has been ahem....compromised, he has been away so long, again just speculation

this also doesn't seem like wild speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This thread is a pain in the hole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

s.welstead wrote: »
    Exactly! I originally pointed out he got confused with names. Calling Jory Joffrey. So mentioned to him that he should probably change that in case people think Joffrey got killed.
    I never asked him to change about the white walkers as it's clearly wild speculation and that's perfectly healthy in a bloody discussion thread.

I'm hoping that SuperInfinity guy is gone. Ya I know attack the post and all that but anything I've read from him just comes across so badly. Somebody mentioned before, read his posts while thinking of 'comic book guy' from Simpsons. Fits perfectly.

Being fair to SuperInfinity, he's clearly insightful and knowledgeable....i'd miss his interactions and insights. I get pissed and frustrated by this forum and posters/mod decisions. But i settle down, take a breath and come back because i enjoy the banter and interactions.

This is a great tv forum and i'd hate for someone to leave because of what is esentially fluff. :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

just because you haven't read the book doesn't mean that you didn't read something and repeat it, that did spoil it, it seemed quite specific, i don't think you could have speculated that without having read something somewhere. is it true book readers?

wtf?????? i must have broken into a bookshop and read the book in my sleep then your honour, what an amazing argument there from the prosecutor, he has solved the case, i am guilty as charged, i accept my sentence of having to watch the last season of lost on an infinite loop

let me now say a fourth time, i haven't read the books, not any part of them, i don't have the books, nor have i had any exposure to any kind of info about the show other than this thread and the show itself

so what if my speculation was "specific", what kind of a counter-argument is that? Does it matter if I speculate on a particular thing or is the rule now that we can only speculate on more general issues?

my only reason for saying anything about white walkers was because i was just clutching at straws in a not so serious way about how some deus ex machina could possibly incorporate the return of jory, i don't believe jory will return from the dead by the way, i don't think it's that type of show

any theory i have about white walkers is based on the first 10 minutes of episode 1 and any references to them from other characters subsequently, i could be wrong, for example and i am spoiling nothing here, in those first minutes they expected to find a load of bodies when they climbed over the ridge and there was nothing to be found, there were other clues too but who knows, maybe other people think they were eaten - we'll find out i guess...............it's like the orwellian mind police are in here when i have to respond to accusations like yours, "how dare you think or speculate about that - you're not allowed to think that, it may come to pass"...the reality is that these kind of comments are more in danger of spoiling than anything else

Auvers wrote: »
    its a pity I cant contribute to this thread

as its impossible to read through with spoiler boobytraps everywhere from people who have read the books and cant keep their traps shut :mad:

This thread is GOLD!...i'm having a great laugh!! :p

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    Agreed. People might have been comparing aspects of the book to the show when there's a divergence, but that's it, I haven't seen anyone spoil anything that hasn't happened already in the program.

This thread has more drama in it than the actual Game of Thrones.

It's turning out to be a *must read* thread :P ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I'm done with this board. The mods do not have things under control in any way here, spoilers are around the place like landmines.
    But doesn't it warn about spoilers in the title?

I personally didn't read this for 4 days after Ep.3 because I hadn't seen it yet, even though I have read the books, I still didn't want the TV experience spoiled.

...............any theory i have about white walkers is based on the first 10 minutes of episode 1 .....................for example and i am spoiling nothing here, in those first minutes they expected to find a load of bodies when they climbed over the ridge and there was nothing to be found, there were other clues too but who knows, maybe other people think they were eaten.......
    I think this logic process should be understood so people can realise why donfers posted what he did. My wife got the same impression from the start of Ep.1. (Although maybe she is thinking of the overall trend of vampires stories in film these days!!!)

@Richard Dower: The curly haired kid pinned to a tree was 'dead' but then was seen to be walking in the forest 2-3 minutes later. Hence her specualtion on what they were. (She acused me of lying to her when I told her I didn't really know what they were)

^ i never got the impression they were vamps...no one else mentioned it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

(Separate post to distance this one from the drama above)

Disclaimer for Mods: This poster has read the books but is attempting not to introduce plot spoilers in order to maintain thread quality and fairness.

People have been complimentary about the scene with Jory and Jamie in Ep.4.
    This scene was not in the books. I also liked it as it gave us a bit of backstory about Theon Greyjoy and his presence at Winterfell. This was alluded to by the comments by Tyrion directly to Theon in the same episode.

I think it was a good way to convey the backstory without having flashbacks and/or a distracting set of extra filler scenes. I think there will be a lot of these added scenes as the series goes on. The TV series is based on the books. I for one will not be crying if the series diverges from the source material in order to tell the overall epic tale to a higher standard for TV.

^ when will the epic battles start with thousands of troops and walking trees???

^ i never got the impression they were vamps...no one else mentioned it?

some are active watchers (always trying to figure out why x, y and z are happening etc etc) and others are passive watchers (don't think, just watch and take in only what is explicitly stated)

I don't think they are vamps

(spoiler tags even though I have no idea if I am right or not and haven't read the books but don't want to upset anybody)
    I think if the white walkers kill you then you somehow become one of them, so they have a similar thing to vampires going on, i may be wrong but that's my guess

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Seriously, people are being told off for speculating based solely on what they've seen in the show? Ridiculous. It's even worse then when people who have read the books then give out because it implies there's grounds to the speculation. It's not that difficult to understand how this thread operates is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I was writing a big complaint post last night but deleted it in the end, probably be the one to get in trouble for back seat modding. So, instead I'm just going to say I'm not reading this thread anymore because 90% of posters are ignoring the stipulation in the very first post. You know, the one the title tells you to read.

Until this, or another thread, is used solely for people who haven't read the books, I will unfortunately have to do without my Game of Thrones discussions :mad:

EDIT: I have no idea how many people there actually are that haven't read the book. Seems like a massive % in here have, so maybe it's not worth it's own thread. But I'll set one up with the stipulation in the title if people are interested.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

lmao at the accusations

lmao at the accusations

:p - i would love to have seen his 1,000 word rant ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yes, but people were over-reacting to speculation based on the TV series. Which is perfectly fine. I wouldn't mind talking about what might be in store for the various characters, but I know it'll get shot down pretty quick by the over-sensitive. Hell, I already was earlier in the thread.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yes, but people were over-reacting to speculation based on the TV series. Which is perfectly fine. I wouldn't mind talking about what might be in store for the various characters, but I know it'll get shot down pretty quick by the over-sensitive. Hell, I already was earlier in the thread.

so who do you think killed the last hand of the king, john arran?

i'd appreciate your detailed thoughts on this

i am having trouble working out who is the baddie and the goodie between the bald castrated guy and littlefinger - could you shed some speculative light on that too? :)

jimbling wrote: »
    I was writing a big complaint post last night but deleted it in the end, probably be the one to get in trouble for back seat modding. So, instead I'm just going to say I'm not reading this thread anymore because 90% of posters are ignoring the stipulation in the very first post. You know, the one the title tells you to read.

Until this, or another thread, is used solely for people who haven't read the books, I will unfortunately have to do without my Game of Thrones discussions :mad:

EDIT: I have no idea how many people there actually are that haven't read the book. Seems like a massive % in here have, so maybe it's not worth it's own thread. But I'll set one up with the stipulation in the title if people are interested.

So we're back to the 3 threads idea? :rolleyes:
    It'll never work, i think people are just getting whiped up right now...it'll settle down again, though i may poke the bear a bit :D

• Advertisement

lmao at the accusations
    :p - i would love to have seen his 1,000 word rant ;)

I'm unsure if these are directed towards me or a previous post (as I wasn't following all the bitching prior to my post), but if me then I am not sure what you're getting at. It's blatantly obvious majority of people in here have read the books.

Even something as simple as "wow, I was surprised at how they portrayed such and such in the series" etc etc gives away things about that characters future. And there's far worse than that in here. All I'm saying is that I'd like to keep myself on a level playing field with the series and not have my impressions influenced by the books.

That or just read the fecking books :pac:

^ there is no question lots of posters have read the books, it's the built in fanbase that is getting this threads losts of posts/views......personally i'm not bothered about mild spoilers but major plotpoints are an issue, but i can't judge....i've spoiled stuff myself, not deliberate just not thinking about what i posted.

I'm just having a good gigglesnort at the drama [thanks JaxxyChick for the gigglesnort!]

So we're back to the 3 threads idea? :rolleyes:
    It'll never work, i think people are just getting whiped up right now...it'll settle down again, though i may poke the bear a bit :D

That or enforce the rule in this thread :pac:

BUT....

There's quite often two threads in the Television forum. One for American viewing, one for Irish. In this case we dont need that split, so why not split Books Read vs Books Not read and just completely ignore the thread in Sci Fi that was always for the books anyway.

It really isn't that complicated at all, I've no idea why there is a fuss about making the separation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

That or enforce the rule in this thread :pac:

BUT....

There's quite often two threads in the Television forum. One for American viewing, one for Irish. In this case we dont need that split, so why not split Books Read vs Books Not read and just completely ignore the thread in Sci Fi that was always for the books anyway.

It really isn't that complicated at all, I've no idea why there is a fuss about making the separation.

Actually that's not a bad idea. I honestly think that's the best option from here. This particular thread is verging on ridiculous now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Honestly there is nothing wrong with a bit of speculation and throwing out a few theories, it's not as if the people who have read the books are going to quote your post and reply with "ZOMG NUUU, you're totally wrong, allow me to educate you!" - well at least nobody with a lick of sense would do that.

I enjoy reading other points of view and other theories about what might or might not happen. I've read the books myself, but both my brother and my father haven't and are following the series avidly. They're always banging on about their own theories and they can safely do so because they know I'll never corroborate them one way or another. That being said, I can understand why there may be a good need for two separate threads. I can join the book-readers in our dissections of the divergences, and also pop in to the other thread to get my voyeuristic jollies.

Just let's not allow this bone of contention to destroy our enjoyment of the series, or the discussion of it. Winter is coming!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

No - the thread in Sci-Fi is geared towards those who are watching the show and who've read the book. Basically what you're suggesting...

Anyway, just give the series its own forum and it'd make it all far easier!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

ixoy wrote: »

+1 to the above.

I have read the books, but I would love to see how people speculate on the show and what might happen who have not read the books. Obviously I, or I doubt any of the others who have read them, would say anything like "yep, spot on" or "na, don't be silly", but the story is so complex (and it's only just started) that there are bound to be people who want to say "Hmm, I wonder will XYZ happen to ABC", and so on, and I'd love to read their speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

hmmm seems im not important enough to request a new forum:(:o, someone set it up and ill sign it, :):):pac:

No - the thread in Sci-Fi is geared towards those who are watching the show and who've read the book. Basically what you're suggesting...

It is now, it wasn't prior to the TV series existence. That thread title was altered to accommodate those watching the series and having read the books. That's all well and dandy, but it's not working is it? :pac:
    5starpool wrote: »
    I have read the books, but I would love to see how people speculate on the show and what might happen who have not read the books. Obviously I, or I doubt any of the others who have read them, would say anything like "yep, spot on" or "na, don't be silly", but the story is so complex (and it's only just started) that there are bound to be people who want to say "Hmm, I wonder will XYZ happen to ABC", and so on, and I'd love to read their speculation.

You're free to read the thread....laugh at our silly interpretations and notions of whats going on..... just dont post! :p

I completely agree with wanting to speculate. That's the main reason I'm vying for two threads, so people who haven't read the books have the freedom to do so.

And yes, in all likelihood people aren't going to respond with things as obvious as above, but there is already plenty of examples of simpler mentions of things to come. Any post by someone who has read the books will be influenced by them. It's impossible for it not to be.
    Even character descriptions are enough to give loads away.
    e.g. "Ah, the portrayal of x is much too simple, he's such a complex character throughout the series"
    Now I know x does not die and is important throughout the series. See what I'm getting at? There are numerous examples of this already in this thread.

Another point is spoiler tags. Again, numerous spoiler tags in this thread. I read a few assuming they were either posted before the Irish screening, or because they are rumours on upcoming events. NOT because it's some guy that read the book and is talking with another guy that read the book.
    Since the thread is supposed to be for NON book readers I shouldn't have to worry about that. Alas, I do.

Anyway, that's my point, either the mods should enforce the rule in place or give us two threads in the TV forum.
    Or, as has been said, it's own forum. This will undoubtedly happen, only a matter of time.

/Rants

• Advertisement

i'd be happy to be told in spoiler tags that donfers strangely specific speculation was complete bunk

Advertisement