Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timetables for next year

Options
  • 26-06-2014 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭

Was chatting to one of the lads in work and he happened to mention that there was a circular that went around recently enough saying that schools had to provide next years teacher's timetables at least a month before we return in late August. I must have completely missed this or is he mistaken?

I'm only curious because usually we don't get our timetables until the first day back. Would be nice to know what classes you have so you could prepare more specifically.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Yea, we need to get it early this year because we need to specify S&S periods before we go back. Not sure if there's a specific date, there was a thread here already, I'll have a look.

It's circular 0042/2014.

The timetables are emailed by a certain date in August, as a staff we agreed the week before LC results.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

ya my school sent out a letter at the end of the school year saying we'd have our timetables by August 15th and we'd have to specify what S&S periods we'd do. It went on for pages and pages so to be honest once I saw that I didn't have to do anything with it until Aug 15th, I switched off.

Normally though, we don't get our timetables until the first day back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Cheers lads, ye I suppose it makes sense for S&S purposes, nice to have it earlier for other reasons as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Red Waterlily

There is also something about having a number of days in August to look over your timetable and rank all your free periods in order of preference with regard to S&S - this is so that teachers preferences will be taken into account when scheduling the five possible s&s periods. Teachers doing S&S will need to keep an eye out for this because if they don't return their preferences then the person making out the timetable may go ahead and pick the five periods for them. It'd be no harm to check with the school close and find out when this is happening - especially anyone thinking of going away for a week!. It's all on the union websites... published around the end of May.

• Advertisement

Yep, it's in my post above, and the circular I mentioned. Done via email with principal, or deputy etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

We have been told out S&S periods will be picked for us and that we will have out timetable (or a first draft) after Leaving Cert results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

vamos! wrote: »
    We have been told out S&S periods will be picked for us and that we will have out timetable (or a first draft) after Leaving Cert results.

Dunno about that, I thought you nominated your own preferences! Get yer union rep to have a word.

General consensus in my school is that people don't mind S&S periods being assigned. Lots of staff are on holidays in August and people are just happy to get an idea of their timetable before the first day back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I suspect people will mind if they get assigned first/last period for S and S :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I always get my timetable in and around the first week in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I always get my timetable in and around the first week in July.

I suspect that's quite a rare occurance Peter. Usually depends on vacancies to be filled etc. If its a simple roll over to next year, its much easier to do a timetable.

TheDriver wrote: »
    I suspect that's quite a rare occurance Peter. Usually depends on vacancies to be filled etc. If its a simple roll over to next year, its much easier to do a timetable.

In a school of 900+ students also.

If the management of my school can do it by then . . . then it should be occurring everywhere else as well

It all depends on mix of teacher subjects, option blocks, same yearly intake. Its actually easier to tt a big school

I suspect people will mind if they get assigned first/last period for S and S :)

I know and as a temp I am quite probably due to get last class Fri eve or first class Monday!Luckily my P and DP are quite fair when it comes to these things and everyone has to do their fair share. Would love to see my timetable although ignorance is bliss and i don't have to feel guilty about not doing any prep until Aug!

My staff would as a majority prefer not to think about school until end of Aug and hence timetables are not appreciated too early

I have to say I'd be of that opinion, I feel like I'd only be thinking about next year and not getting the most out of holidays, and I'm saying that as some one who likes to go in in September very prepared! Hard to find an arrangement that suits everyone though, you'd always have some not happy getting it too early or late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

But if you get it early and dont want to know early then surely you just don't read it till later!

Oh you've so much more self control than me Armelodie!!

I actually received my timetable today - all 33 forty minute periods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 babybaby2014

What's it like? Completely filled? Scary!

Hi all

I've just placed a new thread on this topic regarding my own personal situation. Looking for advice. Thanks.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057241446

Advertisement