Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl/Aldi brands v names brands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Something has changed with the choc chip cookies (red packet) in the last while. They were my go to tea-dunkers, much better than marylands but not so much anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

theteal wrote: »
    Something has changed with the choc chip cookies (red packet) in the last while. They were my go to tea-dunkers, much better than marylands but not so much anymore :(
    Totally agree, cant put my finger on it either, are they not as well baked as they were before?
    god's toy wrote: »
    Love that stuff! On a hot day with the grass freshly cut its the perfect reward!
    Is it tequila-flavour only or does it get you drunk faster like they added tequila?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The lidl coleslaw is back the way it used to be years ago, about bloody time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thargor wrote: »
    Totally agree, cant put my finger on it either, are they not as well baked as they were before?

Is it tequila-flavour only or does it get you drunk faster like they added tequila?

If it's like the desperados, it's just flavouring - mostly lime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If it's like the desperados, it's just flavouring - mostly lime.

Killjoy! ;) (6.3% works for me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Eeden wrote:
    The Aldi version of Desperado (Tequila flavoured beer, very expensive) is back! It's called Sombrero and I think it's €3.99 for three 33cl bottles

Excellent. I've been looking everywhere for a cheaper alternative to desperados

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

McGraths tea (green box) in Aldi tastes different, but that might just be me. Is Robert Roberts still making it for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Thargor wrote: »

It has a little (and I mean little) tequila kick to it. kinda like hint of sweetness like lime maybe?

On a hot day it goes down very well!

EDIT, didn't read the last few posts till just now. Yep what they said!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Aldi have a a new prepared "honest options" salads range at €2.99 for 210g.
    Blurb says it's prepared in Co Galway
    Anyone know the company that prepare them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Eeden wrote: »
    The Aldi version of Desperado (Tequila flavoured beer, very expensive) is back! It's called Sombrero and I think it's €3.99 for three 33cl bottles

Omg I love Desperados so I'm def gonna be getting myself some of these :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Thanks for the tip about the lidl mini magnum-esque icecreams, yum! Also the big tubs of greek yoghurt is good value and yummy. Have to help the Greeks as much as we can!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

leahyl wrote: »
    Omg I love Desperados so I'm def gonna be getting myself some of these :D

Its probably cheaper again to simply put a drop of tequila into the beer you usually drink, or some other cheapo beer.

I see sauces like mayo or frenches mustard with "a hint of chilli/garlic" and the price per kilo is far usually higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rubadub wrote: »
    Its probably cheaper again to simply put a drop of tequila into the beer you usually drink, or some other cheapo beer.

A drop of tequila and a dash of lime cordial might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I have just tried their 50% orange squash, its it delicious... far superior than Robinsons or Miwadi which I had been drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Sorry should have said the Aldi one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The frozen scampi in lidl is lovely at about 2.49 iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

A drop of tequila and a dash of lime cordial might work.

No doubt, but you have to stump up for the bottle of tequila; if you can afford that you may not even want to bother with beer! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Aldi Hula Hoops are identical to the real thing, as in they must be rolling off the same production line, there is zero difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Still prefer to shop in lidl prefer the food there to aldi even though not much difference but i'd notice in the taste of food. I'd notice a difference in the milk even! There are still certain things i'd only buy in lidl and only buy other brands of. Like washing detergent and washing up liquid, removing stains and dishwasher tablet still prefer to buy something more branded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Delighted to report Aldi has its hot cross buns back in stock. Seriously addicted to them:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

The korma cooking sauce in lidl is delicious. Really good value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I went for a stroll this morning in the lovely sunshine. Popped into Lidl to get a few of their deliciously scrumptious mature cheddar sourdough loaves. None.

I am seriously gutted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I went for a stroll this morning in the lovely sunshine. Popped into Lidl to get a few of their deliciously scrumptious mature cheddar sourdough loaves. None. I am seriously gutted now.

It's been discontinued. Twas a sad day in the Dial Hard household when we found that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lidl have their Christmas range in now by the way ... chocolate marzipan hearts, mini-stollen etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

There chocolate is beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Didn't someone post a link to see who makes all of Lidl's and Aldi's own brand?

Anybody have this link handy?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Didn't someone post a link to see who makes all of Lidl's and Aldi's own brand?

its from 2011 so some have very likely changed.

More and more people are turning to own brands at the moment, here is a list of the companies who make supermarket own brand products.

Tesco Own brands

They say that 100 Irish companies produce some 2,000 own brand Tesco products. 98% of their customers purchase at least one own brand as part of weekly shop. Own brand household cleaning account for 63% of sales in that category.

Who makes Tesco own brand?

Glanbia – Tesco milk; Tesco butter; Tesco fromage frais
    Mannings bakery (Dublin) – Tesco apple tarts, crumble, bakewell tart and other cakes
    Hilton Foods (Drogheda) – Tesco Finest sausages, chorizo sausages, Tesco Finest Pork and Lamb products.
    Brogan’s Bakery (Galway) – Tesco muffins
    Country Crest (Lucan); Tesco roosters, kerrs pink, baby potatoes, onions, shallots and more veg.
    Gem Pack Foods Ltd – Tesco rice, sugar, currants, sultanas, raisins, almonds, hazelnuts, walnut pieces, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds etc,
    Catron Bros (Cavan / Dublin) – Tesco chicken ranges
    P Mulrine & sons (Donegal) – Tesco juices (ambient and chilled).
    Both Irish Pride and Bachelors also make some Tesco label products.

Superquinn

Over 2,000 own brand products are available; 95% of the fresh own label products are Irish, while over 75% of grocery own label products are sourced from Irish suppliers/producers, 100% Irish chicken only used in their ready meals. They say they have seen a 20% increase in sales on own label products in 2010 compared to 2009.

Who makes Superquinn own brand?

Johnston Mooney & O’Brien - Essentials bread
    Pat the Baker - Superquinn core bread
    Connacht Gold - butter and cream
    Bewley’s - own label core tea
    Seery’s, Scott’s, Sam’s Cookies, and Fusco’s - all supply cakes for Superquinn Essentials range
    Irish Yogurts (Clonakilty, Co Cork)- produce Essentials yogurts
    Dublin based Donnellys - supply all fruit and vegetables
    Wonderfoods (Dublin) - supply pre-pack salads and prepared vegetables
    Country Crest based in Lusk - produce Superquinn own label ready meals using locally grown ingredients
    Bombay Pantry based in Dublin - produce ethnic convenience meals under Superquinn own label

Aldi

Over 45% of all grocery sales at Aldi are generated on products bought from Irish suppliers, producers and manufacturers.
    Who makes Aldi products?

Bewleys / Robert Roberts – all coffees and teas
    Natures Isle – fresh poultry, Irish Angus beef, pork, lamb, all sourced from RoI farms and Bord Bia certified.
    Irish Yogurts / Town of Monaghan Co-op / the Different Dairy Company – yogurts
    Odlums – flour

Lidl

Lidl say they are “committed to using as many indigenous suppliers as possible in the production of its own brand products.”
    Pat the Baker - granary bread and scones
    Johnston Mooney & O Brien - hot dog rolls and burger buns
    Olhausen – Premium pork sausages
    Irish Yogurts (Clonakilty) – Premium yogurts
    Town of Monaghan – Irish creamery butter
    Liffey Meats (Cavan) – fresh beef
    Cooley Distillery – whiskey
    Oakpark Foods (Tipperary) – Glensallagh streaky bacon
    Donegal Creameries – 1 litre milk carton
    Seerys (Carlow)– triple chocolate cake and luxury lemon cake
    Glenpatrick – Flavoured water
    Begleys (Dublin) – fresh fruit and veg
    The Scullery – relish (small supplier, relishes developed with Lidl)

SuperValu

SuperValu have 1,700 own brand products, over 30% of these are Irish.
    Who makes SuperValu own brand?
    Glenisk – organic yogurts
    Follain (Co Cork) – SV Supreme jam, cranberry sauce, apple chutney, wholegrain mustard, relishes.
    Kelkin – SV Muesli
    Bandon Vale – cheese blocks
    Mulrines – SV ketchup
    Seerys (Carlow)– tea brack and brownie slices
    Silver Pail (Fermoy, Co Cork)– Supreme ice creams
    Lakeland Dairies (Cavan) – SuperValu Ice cream 1lt tubs
    Riverview Eggs, Cork, Valley View Eggs, Bandon, Co. Cork, Clonarn Clover, Co. Meath and Nest Box Egg Co, Monaghan – SV eggs
    Carty meats (Athlone)– SV rasher range
    Mallons (Monaghan)– SV sausages
    Countrystyle (Co Kilkenny) – SV puddings
    Kepak – frozen burgers
    Prestige Foods (Kerry) – trifle range
    Taravale (Naas)– Salads such as coleslaw etc
    Sunshine juice (Carlow)– Supreme freshly squeezed juice
    JDS Foods (Cork) – SV spreads / margarine
    Cashel – SV speciality cheeses

Centra

Centra have 700 own brand products available and 35% of their own brand products are Irish made. They say they use Irish suppliers for their fresh produce; all meat is 100% Irish; 67% of fruit and veg and 75% of dairy.

Who makes Centra products?
    Irish Yogurts (Clonakilty)– Centra luxury yoghurts
    McEvoy Family Foods (Co Tipperary) - Chilled Soup Range
    Brady Family (Co Kildare) – deli style meats
    Dunhill Cuisine (Waterford)– ready made meals i.e. cottage pie / lasagne
    Mulrines (Donegal)– Centra juice range
    Kerry Freshways – pre-packed sandwiches
    North Cork co-op – Centra butter
    Blenders (Dublin)- Mayonnaise

Dunnes

Overall over 75% of Dunnes fresh own label is sourced in Ireland; 100% fresh beef, chicken , lamb, pork is Irish; 97% of our bakery lines are Irish made ; 91% of all potatoes are Irish and 100% fresh fish from Irish suppliers / waters.

Olhausen - Dunnes Sausages
    Batchelors - baked beans and peas
    Mulrines - juice
    Blenders - pasta sauces
    Tendermeats (dedicated meat plant) - All Dunnes meat is controlled from farm to shelf via this plant

Some of Dunnes fresh own label suppliers
    Natural Dairies Ltd.
    Riverview Eggs Ltd.
    The Nest Box Egg Co.
    Annalitten Farm Foods Ltd.
    Nevilles Bakery Dublin Ltd.
    Johnson Mooney & O'Brien
    Pat the Baker
    Matt Reilly Cakes Ltd.
    Staffords Bakery Ltd.
    Brogans Bakery
    P McCloskey & Sons Ltd.
    Scotts Bakery Ltd.
    William Carr & Sons Ltd.
    H.J. Nolan (Dublin) Ltd.
    Wrights of Howth
    Dunns Seafare Ltd.
    Oceanpath
    Galway Bay Seafoods Ltd.

Another way of checking (for the super-sleuths!)
    This only applies to meat and diary products: Irrespective of the brand, the label will have an EU approval number identifying the final processing plant. The Department of Agriculture publishes a list of approved plants for Ireland on its website.

This label identifies only the final stage of processing not the actual origin of the meat or dairy product.
    For example, if you’re looking at two cartons of milk or a packet of rashers, one branded, one own brand, look at the origin code on the label (an oval with IE, a number and EC) or on the cap you may find, for instance, the number 1405 on both products. This identifies the production plant as being the same.

List compiled by Tina Leonard of the Pat Kenny Radio Show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

its from 2011 so some have very likely changed.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Anyone see the Lidl Simply Sumptuous granola packs? Haven't seen them in our local Lidl in 3/4 weeks now. We will be gutted if it's discontinued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Who produce the supervalu range of teabags and coffee, would love to know,
    Supervalue is my local and favourite shop to do groceries, delighted to have the information on here that their own brands come from great sources

Advertisement