Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl/Aldi brands v names brands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The aldi stir in pasta sauces are amazing and they are priced good too. Very tasty , I'm hooked.
    http://media.nutratech.co.uk/media/productimages/148/82/356382.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone try the taste of success winner's product ??

beef short rib

• Registered Users Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

fryup wrote: »

beef short rib

I tried it when it was in development.
    Fantastic, then.
    It'll be interesting to see if they've maintained the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I tried it when it was in development.
    Fantastic, then.
    It'll be interesting to see if they've maintained the quality.
    Just bought one .. I'll report back on Sunday after we've eaten it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭markmacken

I had a fresh-baked raspberry scone from Lidl either. It was delightful. It was lovely and warm and didn't need any butter (I wasn't able to cut it and butter it as it happened). Can't go wrong for 40c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

fryup wrote: »

beef short rib

Just had them tonight, very nice. Very rich though, you need something to cut through it. We had Lidl's potato gratin which was lovely and cheesy, did the trick.
    We also had the Lidl duck with pancakes and the BBQ wings, delicious! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

both food are fine,aldis brands a bit better

but the quality of electronics and home goods are not

• Registered Users Posts: 28,924 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

markmacken wrote: »
    I had a fresh-baked raspberry scone from Lidl either. It was delightful. It was lovely and warm and didn't need any butter (I wasn't able to cut it and butter it as it happened). Can't go wrong for 40c.
    I recently bought a mixed-berry scone from Lidl, and was bitterly disappointed (well, as disappointed as you can be with a scone).

It was like someone painted some red bits on the outside, there wasn't a single bit of actual fruit of any description in it!

Maybe I was unlucky, but I won't be trying them again any time soon.

Just had them tonight, very nice. Very rich though, you need something to cut through it. We had Lidl's potato gratin which was lovely and cheesy, did the trick.
    I agree, it was delish :D Had it with the Lidl Potato Gratins with Emmental Cheese and some green beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

No Mediterranean wraps on my local Aldi yesterday. Anyone see them around?
    I really, really hope these aren't gone!

Me too. Must be a problem with their suppliers. No Pitta breads either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I was gutted to find they were out of stollen on Sunday. Sent Mr Dizzy to another branch yesterday and they had none either :(

I was gutted to find they were out of stollen on Sunday. Sent Mr Dizzy to another branch yesterday and they had none either :(
    Got mine early :D Disappointed that there didn't seem to be any of the mini-stollen this year though :(

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I recently bought a mixed-berry scone from Lidl, and was bitterly disappointed (well, as disappointed as you can be with a scone).

It was like someone painted some red bits on the outside, there wasn't a single bit of actual fruit of any description in it!

Maybe I was unlucky, but I won't be trying them again any time soon.

Maybe it was a mixed-berry scone that I had. I must admit, I didn't look inside it (as I ate it in the cinema). But it tasted very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Each Christmas both (I think) Aldi and Lidl do a lovely mature cheddar in wax.

This year they're all flavoured with something - no plain ones in either.
    If I wanted whiskey with my cheese I'd fecking drink whiskey with my cheese!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Alun wrote: »
    Got mine early :D Disappointed that there didn't seem to be any of the mini-stollen this year though :(

They had lots of stollen bites, if that's what you're looking for.

Picked up a stuffed pheasant joint in Aldi earlier today, and a stuffed five bird joint as well. Both frozen of course. Going to have the pheasant on Christmas Day, and the five bird roast on Stephens' Day: both served with ham, goose-fat covered roasties, and potato croquettes. Got all of the other stuff in Aldi too, as well as some honey-glazed parnsips.

They had lots of stollen bites, if that's what you're looking for.
    Is that the Aldi version? In Lidl they call them mini-stollen, but if I can get the same thing in Aldi I'll call in there, even though my local one is a bit of a pain parking wise.

EDIT: Got some :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

The Aldi Classic Fruit Salad has taken a serious dive in quality since (I presume) they changed suppliers (the packaging is a different shape). It doesn't taste of individual fruits now, just a generic icky sweetness. I got a slight taste of strawberry off an apple slice today. Not going to buy it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Eeden wrote: »
    The Aldi Classic Fruit Salad has taken a serious dive in quality since (I presume) they changed suppliers (the packaging is a different shape). It doesn't taste of individual fruits now, just a generic icky sweetness. I got a slight taste of strawberry off an apple slice today. Not going to buy it anymore.

I know you probably won't but you should send them an email saying what you just said here. My OH worked for a company that made products for the likes of ADLI, LIDL, etc. and they take quality control uber seriously. They won't know what's wrong unless you tell them.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I know you probably won't but you should send them an email saying what you just said here. My OH worked for a company that made products for the likes of ADLI, LIDL, etc. and they take quality control uber seriously. They won't know what's wrong unless you tell them.

Thanks, I think I will do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    The aldi stir in pasta sauces are amazing and they are priced good too. Very tasty , I'm hooked.

Serious salt content in those. I cant rem exactly but I was shocked.
    Salt makes anything taste nice, in a bad way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

decco1981 wrote: »
    The own brads are really good.
    Same for Supervalu - their own brand cereal is much nicer than the big brands.

Watch the sugar content on those, they can be 3 times higher in Supervalu e.g. own brand corn flakes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Does Aldi or Lidl do jelly? As in the packet of jelly that you make up with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Aldi definitely does.

Layinghen wrote: »
    Aldi definitely does.
    Lidl do too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Thanks Layinghen and Alun. Will check them out. Are they nice?

I saw Hartley's jelly in Aldi last week and that's a good jelly. It wasn't the sugar free crystals one, it was the proper gelatine slab. It's above the frozen section just by the tinned fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Thanks Layinghen and Alun. Will check them out. Are they nice?

Personally I noticed no difference between the Aldi jelly and any other jelly I have used.

The Aldi version of Desperado (Tequila flavoured beer, very expensive) is back! It's called Sombrero and I think it's €3.99 for three 33cl bottles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Eeden wrote: »
    The Aldi version of Desperado (Tequila flavoured beer, very expensive) is back! It's called Sombrero and I think it's €3.99 for three 33cl bottles

Love that stuff! On a hot day with the grass freshly cut its the perfect reward!

Advertisement