Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eVision (IPTV service from Eircom) [Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭McMafia77

Hi, I was just wondering has anybody signed up to the eVision package in the Balrothery area of North County Dublin. If so how do you find it? They've upgraded the area with fibre wire recently, and the rep says we would receive 70mbs where we live. Now I'd like to think thats more than enough to handle the TV signal and leave you with good BB, but I have to admit that Im always a bit dubious of what reps say, especially as they're asking for you to sign up to an 18 month contract. I'd be happy to sign up as I want to get away from Sky, the bb they provide coupled with overpriced TV is bit ridiculous. Id be happier if I heard a few more positives before I committed though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

McMafia77 wrote: »
    Hi, I was just wondering has anybody signed up to the eVision package in the Balrothery area of North County Dublin. If so how do you find it? They've upgraded the area with fibre wire recently, and the rep says we would receive 70mbs where we live. Now I'd like to think thats more than enough to handle the TV signal and leave you with good BB, but I have to admit that Im always a bit dubious of what reps say, especially as they're asking for you to sign up to an 18 month contract. I'd be happy to sign up as I want to get away from Sky, the bb they provide coupled with overpriced TV is bit ridiculous. Id be happier if I heard a few more positives before I committed though.

You wont get exactly 70, ask for what your line is stablised at. All eircom reps can get this information, though it may take time for them to be sent it.

According to previous posters you will see a slight drop in speeds for tv but not significantly enough to really notice.

The general feedback on here is positive. In the new year speeds are on the increase again to 100mb, but I assume it locks you into a new contract if you agree to the faster speeds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

3000 subscribers so far. big push in the new year with quadplay. cant seem em even reaching 20,000 as they dont have any of the sky channels or UTV and when you take into account that they are more expensive for their broadband with less channels than UPC i wonder how they aim to get mass market subscribers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭batistuta9

3000 subscribers so far. big push in the new year with quadplay. cant seem em even reaching 20,000 as they dont have any of the sky channels or UTV and when you take into account that they are more expensive for their broadband with less channels than UPC i wonder how they aim to get mass market subscribers.

if you look at the efibre map they must have nearly every large/decent size town in each county on it or there abouts, listed for it to be installed in, UPC wouldn't be in half of those towns are they?

maybe they're trying to cement these areas/pick up extra money from them

& they've sky sports & movies though, the don't offer the full sky packages of those channels but offer it cheaper.
    Do you have to take their basic pack do you know?

I think you do but not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Sean54

E vision will capture customers from SKY in my opinion but Eircom will need to get in act together in the customer service area.
    The TV is cheaper and the broadband package is better ie higher download and upload speeds than SKY.
    I cannot see them picking up many UPC customers though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sean54 wrote: »
    E vision will capture customers from SKY in my opinion but Eircom will need to get in act together in the customer service area.
    The TV is cheaper and the broadband package is better ie higher download and upload speeds than SKY.
    I cannot see them picking up many UPC customers though.

Nah there capturing more UPC. UPC customers are paying a lot and their service isn't attractive.

Sky have a decent box, great mobile apps, and have a decent reputation. Plus channels that evision doesn't have. Its also a more competitive price point! I believe their launching fibre in the new year, so that would spice up things nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Sully wrote: »
    Nah there capturing more UPC. UPC customers are paying a lot and their service isn't attractive.

Sky have a decent box, great mobile apps, and have a decent reputation. Plus channels that evision doesn't have. Its also a more competitive price point! I believe their launching fibre in the new year, so that would spice up things nicely.

It is neither there nor their but they're or they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

:D

Sully - are you an Eircom rep or something?!

7upfree wrote: »
    :D

Sully - are you an Eircom rep or something?!

Former, aye. I'm up to speed on how everybody is doing for a few years now due to my interest in this overall though. I don't think tv has been as great or a big game changer as they expected, to be fair, but its a lot harder to pull Sky customers than it is UPC. Assuming, of course, broadband speeds are not as important. Its like for vodafone, they do better targeting old eircom customers on very old plans.

I understand Vodafone will be using the evision system in the new year, I think they have to tbh. They do IPTV in other countries, so why not here and compete with Sky, eircom and UPC?

• Advertisement

Former, aye. I'm up to speed on how everybody is doing for a few years now due to my interest in this overall though. I don't think tv has been as great or a big game changer as they expected, to be fair, but its a lot harder to pull Sky customers than it is UPC. Assuming, of course, broadband speeds are not as important. Its like for vodafone, they do better targeting old eircom customers on very old plans.

I understand Vodafone will be using the evision system in the new year, I think they have to tbh. They do IPTV in other countries, so why not here and compete with Sky, eircom and UPC?

Competition keeps everyone on their toes!:)

I have UPC and TBH the TV is great for me personally.

thanks for the info re vodafone. i wonder what sort of pack they will try to sell. their broadband is up to 8 euro cheaper so if tv is the same itcould be worth exploring depending on whether they simply rebundle the tv channels eircom offer.

7upfree wrote: »
    Competition keeps everyone on their toes!:)

I have UPC and TBH the TV is great for me personally.

Well you're in love with their broadband speeds :)

Like some people were paying a crazy amount for a bundle of Phone, BB & TV. eircom are doing it for €55 with the first six months reduced. For a lot, its a big saving. But for some, they want to watch ITV and Sky Atlantic. Or Sky Sports 3 & 4 plus Sky Sports News. Maybe even Eurosports. Channels eircom don't offer. So they won't budge.

Sky have a very slick, fast and easy to use interface which people are in love with (and what evision does very well). For those who actively use their mobile apps like myself, its very difficult to pull us away to a service which doesn't compete. Even with slow broadband, people just love the TV and don't want to change.

I genuinely think if Sky do fibre, they will hurt eircom and UPC. If eircom can inflect a punch on UPC, no matter how small, and Sky move into the fast broadband market I really think it will shape things up.

So yeah, its a great time for the consumers at the moment!
    thanks for the info re vodafone. i wonder what sort of pack they will try to sell. their broadband is up to 8 euro cheaper so if tv is the same itcould be worth exploring depending on whether they simply rebundle the tv channels eircom offer.

I'm only going on what a rep told me. I was also told that eircom wouldn't be reselling their TV service. So who knows what will happen. But I do think if all the major BB providers do TV with fast broadband, Vodafone can't just hope that people will use it for BB & Phone only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Question for current users

We are thinking of getting this set up for parents and wondered what Broadband usage is like.

The parents currently don’t have broadband but they are getting an iPad for Christmas (this will only be used for basic email, browsing and the odd Google Hangout call to relatives in faraway places) so we had planned to get them signed up to the €45 plan which gives up to 50Mbps download speed and 30GB download usage

Is this sufficient for the TV package?
    Would we need more than 30GB download limit or does the TV usage count towards your download limit?
    I presume 50Mbps is sufficient as there won’t be heavy internet usage in the house.

Also… any idea if they will ever add ITV to the line up? That’s the only reason parents want to stick with Sky as they watch some stuff on that but we are trying to persuade them that most stuff on ITV is on TV3 (Corrie and Emmerdale etc!!)

tui0hcg wrote: »

We are thinking of getting this set up for parents and wondered what Broadband usage is like.

The parents currently don’t have broadband but they are getting an iPad for Christmas (this will only be used for basic email, browsing and the odd Google Hangout call to relatives in faraway places) so we had planned to get them signed up to the €45 plan which gives up to 50Mbps download speed and 30GB download usage

Would we need more than 30GB download limit or does the TV usage count towards your download limit?
    I presume 50Mbps is sufficient as there won’t be heavy internet usage in the house.

Also… any idea if they will ever add ITV to the line up? That’s the only reason parents want to stick with Sky as they watch some stuff on that but we are trying to persuade them that most stuff on ITV is on TV3 (Corrie and Emmerdale etc!!)

re the last point an eircom customer rep told me there are no immediate plans ie in the next year or so to add any more channels when I told him that if they had UTV i might subscribe.

tui0hcg wrote: »

Your usage allowance wont be impacted by tv. That speed would be fine, they wont get 50 exactly anyway!

New channels due in the new year at some stage, but not before. No idea what channels but one would assume ITV is top of the list!

thanks Sully for the info. Eircom told me no new channels planned so had discounted the thought of subscribing to it.

thanks Sully for the info. Eircom told me no new channels planned so had discounted the thought of subscribing to it.

Well im not 100% positive, but neither is the Rep that told you there wont be any new channels. There should of course be plans and eircom are aware they can't sit back and do nothing further. Anybody who did the TV training would be aware of the possibility of new channels.

Don't subscribe on that theory though, maybe there is another provider who offers a similar package but with those channels you want?

any info re on demand and tv players etc?

any info re on demand and tv players etc?

On Demand is on the cards, its already a feature on their box but without a service. Didn't hear anything about RTE Player.

At the end of the day this is a new budget tv service and it may grow but im not sure there aiming to be the next Sky or whatever. Its a way of attracting more phone and broadband customers and having a decent Telecom provider that's investing in its network.

But its not for everyone due to the channel base.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

any new customers to e-vision

ftakeith wrote: »

Lots but I would imagine not many were installed over Christmas and god knows how many of them watch this thread, if any!

ftakeith wrote: »

*Tumbleweed………..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭deadduck

can anyone who has this service please let me know how many programs can be recorded simultaneously? is it 2 like sky, or 4 like UPC's Horizon?

I think its 2..

deadduck wrote: »
    can anyone who has this service please let me know how many programs can be recorded simultaneously? is it 2 like sky, or 4 like UPC's Horizon?

Record 2 and watch a third recorded iirc.

https://www.eircom.net/tv/?pageversion=full

record 2 while watching a third you have recorded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Got eVision leaflet in paper yesterday. hadnt heard about it until now and considering it for parents. they currently have SKY in 2 rooms and broadband with Vodafone. From what the leaflet says they will make a huge saving switching over. My only concern is the setup. they have broadband coming into modem in hallway and they use wifi for tablet, phones and laptops. The 2 tvs then have cables coming from the satellite dish outside. Will eircom do all the setup/cabling with the broadband to the TVs?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

fifib wrote: »
    Got eVision leaflet in paper yesterday. hadnt heard about it until now and considering it for parents. they currently have SKY in 2 rooms and broadband with Vodafone. From what the leaflet says they will make a huge saving switching over. My only concern is the setup. they have broadband coming into modem in hallway and they use wifi for tablet, phones and laptops. The 2 tvs then have cables coming from the satellite dish outside. Will eircom do all the setup/cabling with the broadband to the TVs?

Have you seen how poor Evisions channel lineup is?

• Advertisement

barrackali wrote: »
    dont think its that poor. its got most of the main channels. theres an awful lot of rubbish channels on sky that nobody has ever watch..in our house anyways!

barrackali wrote: »

Its not a bad line up for €10
    Has some stuff the basic Sky line up has not got like Discovery and Setanta Animal Planet and RTE Junior
    All for 1/3 the price of Sky

Keep the old Sky dish and boxes and you should also continue to get all the Free to Air stuff

Its a no brainer for a basic TV package in cost savings compared to Sky if you have it in a bundle with Broadband. you can also get an all in bundle which includes a free smart phone and monthly package for €70 per month. If I were to get all that with separate suppliers and bills I would be looking at about €90. For the parents it really is a saving anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No ITV/UTV would be the main drawback I'd say.

Alun wrote: »
    No ITV/UTV would be the main drawback I'd say.

Hopefully they are coming to the service but if you are switching from Sky you can always get them FTA with your dish and old sky box

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Will eircom do all the setup/cabling with the broadband to the TVs?
    Yes: the signal is carried on the mains electricity via homeplugs. You just need to make sure you can connect the homeplug to an actual mains socket rather than a trailing socket, and only use one of the sockets if it's a double (this has been the most irritating bit for me, but the signal does get worse if I use the second socket on the plate :mad:). The homeplug has pass-through so you don't lose the use of the socket it's in. The guys who did our install were great and made sure everything was working before they left.

BeerNut wrote: »
    only use one of the sockets if it's a double (this has been the most irritating bit for me, but the signal does get worse if I use the second socket on the plate :mad:

Well thats not ideal. Both TV areas in my parents have double sockets. So they will be able to pick up the channels just not watch them cos they cant plug in the actual TV to the other socket point! :confused:

Looks like it wont be rolled out in their area anyways until May '14. will have to persevere with Sky until then!

• Advertisement

So they will be able to pick up the channels just not watch them cos they cant plug in the actual TV to the other socket point! :confused:
    They can stick a trailing socket in the passthrough on the homeplug and plug the TV and decoder into that. Not pretty, but it should work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

If you check the leaflet it tells u they will need to bring a cable from the broadband socket to the rooms you want tv....

steveon wrote: »
    If you check the leaflet it tells u they will need to bring a cable from the broadband socket to the rooms you want tv....

Heh? Multi room works on power plugs, not additional wiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Heh? Multi room works on power plugs, not additional wiring.

Home-plugs or power plugs as you call them are problematic...cant see this being an ideal solution for everyone!

so this isnt wireless really? you need homeplugs or wired set up like sky used to insist on for multiroom?

• Advertisement

so this isnt wireless really? you need homeplugs or wired set up
    It's not wireless at all. Eircom provides the homeplugs as part of the set-up.

so this isnt wireless really? you need homeplugs or wired set up like sky used to insist on for multiroom?

I'm not sure what cables the advert mentioned but I sold evision when it launched and the multiroom always used home plugs. Homeplugs are wireless.

If they don't work than maybe they will wire it up. Who knows, I never came across it before.

Homeplugs are wireless.
    :confused: You've lost me.

Telly [HDMI>] STB [ethernet>] Homeplug [mains>] Homeplug [ethernet>] Modem.

Wires all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Wires all the way.

Quite right. Can't comment on the Homeplugs Eircom provides, but I have them for home and they're very good, far more reliable than Wifi and faster (unless you have a good, recent N or AC Wifi router.

Wires all the way.

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

In terms of 'wireless', I meant when compared to UPC or Sky.

Eircom don't need to wire up any cables from outside / downstairs into each room. Unlike their competitors, the box can move from room to room.

It has wires from the box to the TV, that's it.

any update on the extra channels "coming soon" that the leaftlet says are coming? I would be suprised if Evision even got anywhere near 10000 customers with that channel line up compared to UPC's offering for 60euro which others point out is far far superior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tom Hanks

Can anyone who has this service tell me if there is a delay on the stream compared to say Saorview?

If so how many seconds is it

Tom Hanks wrote: »
    Can anyone who has this service tell me if there is a delay on the stream compared to say Saorview?

If so how many seconds is it

Flicking between channels is pretty much instant, no real noticeable delay. Very like Sky. I haven't seen Horizon but Sky & evision have the better UI IMO compared with the old UPC system.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

With evision is there any options similar to rf2/magic eye on sky?

I am not talking about multiroom - I see evision do a separate box for that but it doesn't allow you to watch material recorded on the main box plus there is an extra charge. (as there is with other providers for multiroom)

What I am looking for is to be able to watch the same channels on other tvs and watch recorded programmes on any of the linked tvs. At the moment I can do this with no extra charge with my sky set up -

at the moment sky box in sitting room and then - via rf2 and magic eyes - is feed to kitchen and spare room (reluctant to call the spare room the home gym!!) for just one subscription charge. (for my requirements its fine having to have same channel in all rooms, ie don't need multiroom)

Can I have similar set up with evision?

Sorry if my explanation is poor

In brief, with evision, is it possible to distribute the same signal around to other tvs? (ie without going multiroom)

frankz wrote: »
    With evision is there any options similar to rf2/magic eye on sky?

I am not talking about multiroom - I see evision do a separate box for that but it doesn't allow you to watch material recorded on the main box plus there is an extra charge. (as there is with other providers for multiroom)

What I am looking for is to be able to watch the same channels on other tvs and watch recorded programmes on any of the linked tvs. At the moment I can do this with no extra charge with my sky set up -

at the moment sky box in sitting room and then - via rf2 and magic eyes - is feed to kitchen and spare room (reluctant to call the spare room the home gym!!) for just one subscription charge. (for my requirements its fine having to have same channel in all rooms, ie don't need multiroom)

Can I have similar set up with evision?

Sorry if my explanation is poor

In brief, with evision, is it possible to distribute the same signal around to other tvs? (ie without going multiroom)

That's something I would love to see an answer for. In some setups (not evision related) houses can watch whatever is on the main box in any other room. You just tune in the channel. We have it here at home, but have no magic eye or multi room setup. Whatever way the box is setup, I can tune in the 'Sky' Channel on any other TV in the house. I have never fully understood how it works.

• Advertisement
Advertisement