Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia

Options
  • 10-02-2008 8:04am

I have insomnia. I think. It's 7, obviously enough and I have only been able to sleep from bout 12:30-2. I have work at 11:15 until 10 tonight and I have no idea how I am going to survive.

Can boardsie's please give me advice on what to do, I'm really struggling here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ealach

Drinking more beer before going to bed usually knocks me out for a few hours longer that usual.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hit yourself with a mallet hammer like the Three Stooges?

But I havent been drinking. Or anything. I just can't sleep.

I think I've just been so worried about this 11 hour shift that I haven't been able to sleep. I'm going to beg my managers to let me go home earlier for my own health and sanity.
    Hit yourself with a mallet hammer like the Three Stooges?

I've tried that, the slapping and the eye-gouging. Still nothing.

I am genuienly freaking out here, any advice would be extremely good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Get some sleeping tablets man, my ma brought back a few from America. Whopper headbuzz for half an hour and then you'll conk out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I have insomnia too, or self-diagnosed insomnia. I'll usually get to sleep at 4 and wake up at around half 6. At least I get some sleep, but certainly not enough.

I know why (pretty crap last few months) and I know how to fix it. (talking to the one person who makes me happy before bed) It doesn't always work though.

I could also put it down to the obscene amount of Pepsi I drink! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

It's probably the Pepsi indeedio!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dog-man-star

I'd avoid sleeping tablets - you'll get hooked on them and feel groggy during the day...
    There is tons of info out there on google about unwinding before sleep - a lot of it so obvious but true!

Unwind before bed - hot milk, bath, shower -
    try ocean noises/rain noises - listening to them actually stops you thinking about stuff in your head and helps you relax.
    If I have time later I'll write a better list of stuff that worked for me!

Just one night? I wouldn't really classify that as insomnia.
    Why on earth would you be worrying about work..your a student right. :confused:

Building up routine and having a distraction free sleep enviorment are important. Don't watch TV, use the laptop etc in your room. And minimse outside interfernces, such as lamp light.

Sleeping pills get you nowhere, when you stop taking them your often in a worse situation sleepwise. So they become addictive.

There is a milk available in shops called lullaby milk, it has higher levels of meletonan, because the milk the cows when it is still dark.

Having a shag/**** is a good sleep inducer.

I usually can sleep no problem, but I guess I've just been stressed out with different things and it kinda came all crashing down last night. Ended up falling asleep at 8, woke up at 10:15 and was in work for 11. I only got in from work about 20 mins ago.

I have never been as giddy/tired/whatever in all my life. Was quite good fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have insomnia too but I never use it.

health way to get a goods nights sleep - Exercise
    Fun way - alcohol and weed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

How many w*nks have you had? Try one more

FWIW, I never have any trouble sleeping, ever. My trouble is staying awake during the day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

nothing like a good flitter to make you fall asleep...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Insomnia is a pain, when I was about 15 I couldn't sleep at all, I stayed awake for the entire summer (I couldn't even get 5 minutes of sleep), thank god I had the PS1. I remember playing classics like Ridge Racer, Metal Gear Solid, Gran turismo etc etc. In the end it took a few drinks and bang I was able to sleep again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Yeah I would stay away from sleeping tablets.. they are really really addictive. They became a huge problem for me, taking one every night and then trying to stay awake.. gave the most amazing feeling in the world. Miss that. What I don't miss is the drowsiness and lethargy the following day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Insomnia is a pain, when I was about 15 I couldn't sleep at all, I stayed awake for the entire summer (I couldn't even get 5 minutes of sleep)

The entire summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Insomnia is a pain, when I was about 15 I couldn't sleep at all, I stayed awake for the entire summer (I couldn't even get 5 minutes of sleep), thank god I had the PS1. I remember playing classics like Ridge Racer, Metal Gear Solid, Gran turismo etc etc. In the end it took a few drinks and bang I was able to sleep again.

Well, now... come on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

DaveMcG wrote: »
    How many w*nks have you had? Try one more

FWIW, I never have any trouble sleeping, ever. My trouble is staying awake during the day :(

oh the ironing..... im awake at 5.30am and cant go back asleep :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

Have a shower, dry off and go back to bed then. Always works for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Up all night doing crappy thesis stuff. I'll feel great until about midday then I could sleep standing up. I need to stop doing it so often, really messes up the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'll move this to the Sleep forum, the sticky about insomnia has been mentioned, have a look at it. I was awake for nearly a week before, I think it is best if you just tire yourself out, a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dog-man-star

saw this on youtube today - might be useful?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hA7TtpFYD0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

ealach wrote: »
    Drinking more beer before going to bed usually knocks me out for a few hours longer that usual.

Word.
    The only time I can sleep for 8+ hours is when I am completely trashed/comatosed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Is, Insomnia the coffee shop open today you reckon?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You may have better luck in the regional forums...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Bui

Particular craving for burnt mucky coffee today? If its any help I know the one in conway isn't open today, so at a guess probably not elsewhere... bank holiday and all that.

Advertisement