Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chartered Engineer 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Thanks Ian and Alias. Both very useful posts. I got a positive response to the application and am due to interview at some stage. Will put together a presentation fairly soon to get the ball rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

In relation to the 10 minute presentation, it is good to go in with some form of slides. There were three of us in the waiting room waiting to be seen and two of us had slides with us, the other guy didn't and you could see the blood drain from his face! It's not a requirement and everybody's different, but I personally found it useful and I think it's a chance to show part of your presentation skills. I also brought in a few blank pieces of paper in case I needed to sketch anything - I didn't need to in the end, but sometimes I find it easier to explain certain things with a sketch!

I prepared slides on Powerpoint with a few bullet points and plenty of images; printed them out in A3, laminated them and borrowed a table top presenter from work. They don't provide any electronic presentation equipment (laptop/projector) so the hard copy is probably your best bet. I thought about using an ipad, but felt it was probably too small. It was also good to have some of the images on the slides to refer to during the interview, there were some questions asked where I was able to refer to certain projects that I had included in the presentation. Again, this is purely my opinion and somebody else may tell you something totally different. I suppose it's up to you to think how best you can present it and what you're most comfortable with.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

ianwalsh2 wrote: »
    In relation to the 10 minute presentation, it is good to go in with some form of slides. There were three of us in the waiting room waiting to be seen and two of us had slides with us, the other guy didn't and you could see the blood drain from his face! It's not a requirement and everybody's different, but I personally found it useful and I think it's a chance to show part of your presentation skills. I also brought in a few blank pieces of paper in case I needed to sketch anything - I didn't need to in the end, but sometimes I find it easier to explain certain things with a sketch!

I prepared slides on Powerpoint with a few bullet points and plenty of images; printed them out in A3, laminated them and borrowed a table top presenter from work. They don't provide any electronic presentation equipment (laptop/projector) so the hard copy is probably your best bet. I thought about using an ipad, but felt it was probably too small. It was also good to have some of the images on the slides to refer to during the interview, there were some questions asked where I was able to refer to certain projects that I had included in the presentation. Again, this is purely my opinion and somebody else may tell you something totally different. I suppose it's up to you to think how best you can present it and what you're most comfortable with.

That's strange since the guidance notes say.

"You may use hand notes or drawings. No other visual aids are permitted so you will be relying on your own presentation and articulation skills."

That seems to preclude Powerpoint type slides.

That's strange since the guidance notes say.

"You may use hand notes or drawings. No other visual aids are permitted so you will be relying on your own presentation and articulation skills."

That seems to preclude Powerpoint type slides.

I think you're looking at the old version of the guidance notes. Latest ones say:

"You may use visual aids, up to A3 size, as appropriate for use across a table. You may choose to bring a laptop or tablet to present information. However, no
    presentation equipment will be provided and you will not be permitted entry to the room in advance of the interview. If you choose to use a laptop to present
    particular information to the panel, you should have it open and ready to present when you meet the panel."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

ianwalsh2 wrote: »
    I think you're looking at the old version of the guidance notes. Latest ones say:

"You may use visual aids, up to A3 size, as appropriate for use across a table. You may choose to bring a laptop or tablet to present information. However, no
    presentation equipment will be provided and you will not be permitted entry to the room in advance of the interview. If you choose to use a laptop to present
    particular information to the panel, you should have it open and ready to present when you meet the panel."

Thanks, good to know. I should go get the latest guidance notes so.

• Advertisement

Thanks, good to know. I should go get the latest guidance notes so.

I think my round last September was either the first or second group using the new process and guidelines. Looking at their website, it was changed in Feb 2014. It was quite a straightforward application process and was all carried out online, including the supporters approval.

Link to website
    Guidance Notes Link
    Regulations Link

I brought in a folder for my second interview (nothing for my first one) which had some weekly reports that I have for my projects, plus info on other projects I worked on. Props help the interviewer as well as you. I spent the 10 minute presentation going through parts of the folder which corresponded to the competencies, but questions on the projects later were helped by referring to the folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

I would agree with the previous statements about bringing a portfolio with you.
    Whilst you may be discussing a topic that seems generic to yourself, it may be completely unknown to the interviewer.
    I assist on professional review interviews myself (although not for Engineers Ireland), and its one thing to read about a project or design and another to actually see the end result (We're engineers, we like to see and learn about interesting stuff).

However, I would strongly advise that you only use the slides to facilitate you and don't rely on them too much.
    Remember, the interview will be an assessment of your interpersonal skills.
    You must carry the conversation providing evidence of your competencies and not following the slides like a powerpoint presentation.

On a side note, you may have completed some projects since submitting your application.
    When you get the opportunity, don't be afraid to bring them up too. They'll help reinforce you eligibility for chartership status.

Finally, just relax and enjoy the experience. No body is looking to catch you out.
    Its just a meeting amongst peers. Good luck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Guys, hopefully this is in the correct thread, but if not, i will start another no problem.
    While i am not applying for Chartership :( I am trying to upgrade my membership from BEng Tech MIEI to Associate Engineer (AEng AMIE).

I was just wondering if the IPD for Associate membership is in any way similar to the IPD for Chartership?

Main qualification background (leaving out all the minor FETAC certs and NUI Certs etc)

2005 : National Certificate in Civil Engineering from DIT Bolton Street, NFQ Level 6.
    2007 : Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering (Structural Option) from DIT Bolton Street, NFQ Level 7.
    2015 : Post Graduate Diploma in Fire Safety Engineering from TCD, NFQ Level 9.

Basically i am looking for advice on IPD creation if possible.

"Submission of a 2500 - 3000 word engineering practice report. The report should describe training and significant engineering work carried out by the candidate. It should summarise the Initial Professional Development (IPD) activities that the candidate has undertaken. The report must be verified by 2 supporters. "

Thanks,
    Keith.

So, I'm called for the interview. Presentation almost complete. Thinking of bringing in a copy in booklet form for each interviewer and a laptop to display it (has a fairly large screen).

Will see how it goes, but if I do get it, then I've found the posts on this thread really useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dats_rite

MOTM wrote: »
    So, I'm called for the interview. Presentation almost complete. Thinking of bringing in a copy in booklet form for each interviewer and a laptop to display it (has a fairly large screen).

Will see how it goes, but if I do get it, then I've found the posts on this thread really useful.

All the best!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

check about the laptop. I dont think you can use it

godtabh wrote: »
    check about the laptop. I dont think you can use it

They don't supply one but you can bring one according to 9.3.3 of their regulations

Just got word back - completed the interview last week and am now chartered with EI. Happy days.

MOTM CEng MIEI ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dats_rite

Well done!

Congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

Just got word back - completed the interview last week and am now chartered with EI. Happy days.

MOTM CEng MIEI ;)

Congrats! How much experience did you have before you went for it? I'm planning to submit for the next deadline but have been working out of country with no formal CPD programme for the past few years so the doubts are kicking in!

Dunphus wrote: »
    Congrats! How much experience did you have before you went for it? I'm planning to submit for the next deadline but have been working out of country with no formal CPD programme for the past few years so the doubts are kicking in!

I'm in a similar position. Can't really make up the training courses requirement, but have plenty of other things to bulk up the CPD however the training courses minimum won't be met. I may need to call IEI to see what their take on it is...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lads training courses only make up a small but of the CPD spectrum. The more varied the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

godtabh wrote: »
    Lads training courses only make up a small but of the CPD spectrum. The more varied the better

Yeah, I understand that alright. It's more the lack of mentor and programme of hitting the competencies that I'm more concerned about.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I understand that alright. It's more the lack of mentor and programme of hitting the competencies that I'm more concerned about.

That should come evident from your report. As your start preparing it you should be looking at the competency list and knocking them off as you write. Competency isnt based on attending CPD. Competency is based on applying what you have learned in different situations. That learning can happen in many many different ways which is important to get across.

I should've gone for it years ago. Have 15 yrs experience but I'm not in EI that long. I have been attending webinars, a couple of conferences and self study that totted up CPD. I'd say contact EI if in doubt.

The Engineers Ireland Young Engineers Society are hosting this event

Maybe of interest to many here

https://www.facebook.com/events/1648471758758341/

Thread title updated as next intake is in 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Podgemonster BEng CEng MIEI

GET IN!

GET IN!

Engineers love writing their letters. Half tempted to post mine!

Congrats.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

GET IN!

Just as a matter of interest, doesn't the CEng trump the BEng, so you can drop the BEng now :p

Well done by the way.

kceire wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, doesn't the CEng trump the BEng, so you can drop the BEng now :p

Well done by the way.

You dont drop it.

It would go

BEng MIEI CEng

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭DrChristianTroy

Lads and ladies, I intend to apply for chartership this June with EI. Can someone give me an idea on how long it takes to get all the documentation in order? I have no issue meeting the experience/competency but just want to know whether targeting the June deadline is realistic as quite busy in work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Lads and ladies, I intend to apply for chartership this June with EI. Can someone give me an idea on how long it takes to get all the documentation in order? I have no issue meeting the experience/competency but just want to know whether targeting the June deadline is realistic as quite busy in work.

From what I remember there were about 10 essays from Competencies to Career Summaries to Articles. I spent an evening on each essay. Then after my supporters tore into my application I then spent another 10 evenings on each essays re-editing. I could have spent an entire Saturday doing all of it but I broke it up to keep my writing and mind fresh.

IMO you have plenty of time

Advertisement