Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep abortion out of Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

what are you opinions on medical terminations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Festus wrote: »
    Your assertion...

Repeating back what I said to you in its entirety is not being more specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Zombrex wrote: »
    Repeating back what I said to you in its entirety is not being more specific.
    Well, have you a citation for any part of what Festus quoted? There's only two sentences there; can you provide citations for either of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

A soul doesn't have mass, so wouldn't take up 'space'.

Says who?
    Obviously God knows in advance when He decided that there would be triplets/twins etc. (Before I formed you in the womb I knew you. Jer 1:15)

Going by this, he'd then 'obviously' know that an in utero child will be healthy, or have a disability which prevents it from reaching full term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Wh1stler

(Before I formed you in the womb I knew you. Jer 1:15)

This is not how one becomes pregnant.

Your assertion...

Well, if you don't think that the brain is the source of personhood then you must also believe that all brain-dead people should remain on life support indefinitely as to turn it off would be worse than abortion.

Is that your postion?

Where do you suppose 'personhood' arises from?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

Wh1stler wrote: »
    Well, if you don't think that the brain is the source of personhood then you must also believe that all brain-dead people should remain on life support indefinitely as to turn it off would be worse than abortion.

Is that your postion?

Where do you suppose 'personhood' arises from?

Where is personhood defined in the scientific and medical literature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

What always puzzles me is how people can get so worked up over the "right" to choose and yet ignore the rights of the unborn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

What always puzzles me is how people can get so worked up over the "right" to choose and yet ignore the rights of the unborn.

It all boils down to what they consider a person to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Jernal wrote: »

And why do they think that they have the right to decide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

In reality, someone gets to make that decision, somebody has to call it whether it is at conception, implantation, 4 weeks, 8 weeks and so on. I'm personally against abortion at any stage but in saying that I'm reaching that decision by myself, not because someone else says it is so. I have to assume that the majority of people who support abortion rights are also making that decision sincerely and in good faith, even though I'm in complete disagreement with them on the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

While if I was put in the situation where my partner and I did not want to raise the child, I would rather see it put up for adoption as there are many couples out there unable to have children.

On the other hand, I have always considered myself a libertarian and it is for that reason that I say, who am I to tell someone else what to do with their body. It is a personal decision, not a decision to be left up to the state. For that reason alone I am pro choice and I honestly don't see that ever changing.

Human beings with free will?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

There's no issue of rights here. Someone has to decide what a person is and that frankly isn't the easiest or most clear cut decision to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

We are in a pretty serious economic depression now with a lot of jobless, Irish women are going to England to get abortions regardless of the morals, the abortions will happen if the woman wants one, all the handwringing will do is make her buy a plane or boat ticket. We should legalise abortion here as it would create jobs and keep the money in the Irish economy.

yammycat wrote: »
    We are in a pretty serious economic depression now with a lot of jobless, Irish women are going to England to get abortions regardless of the morals, the abortions will happen if the woman wants one, all the handwringing will do is make her buy a plane or boat ticket. We should legalise abortion here as it would create jobs and keep the money in the Irish economy.
    Well, no, I don't think that argument will fly. If there's a serious ethical issue over abortion, I don't think the ethical issue disappears just because we can make a few shillings out of performing abortions.

There's no issue of rights here. Someone has to decide what a person is and that frankly isn't the easiest or most clear cut decision to make.
    And this is the problem.

The last few pages of this thread have been dominated by posts which make absolute claims about which entities are, and which are not, human "persons".

These claims are important and weighty, but many of them are inconsistent, and none of them can be objectively verified or demonstrated.

It seems to me that the challenge is not to decide which of these claims are true and which are false - we are never going to reach agreement on that, and demonstration of truth or falsity is impossible - but rather to decide, given that we don't and won't agree on this fairly fundamental matter, how we as a society should approach the question of abortion? Is there an approach to this which recognises and respects the diversity of opinion?

I suggest you stop reading nonsense from anti-abortion sites.

Yo Zombrex, thought you might like this one:

"As a materialist, I think it has been demonstrated that an embryo is a separate body and entity, and not merely (as some really did used to argue) a growth on or in the female body. There used to be feminists who would say that it was more like an appendix or even—this was seriously maintained—a tumor. That nonsense seems to have stopped. Of the considerations that have stopped it, one is the fascinating and moving view provided by the sonogram, and another is the survival of ‘premature’ babies of feather-like weight, who have achieved ‘viability’ outside the womb. … The words 'unborn child,' even when used in a politicized manner, describe a material reality." —Christopher Hitchens, God is Not Great (pp. 220-21)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Peregrinus wrote: »
    And this is the problem.

The last few pages of this thread have been dominated by posts which make absolute claims about which entities are, and which are not, human "persons".

These claims are important and weighty, but many of them are inconsistent, and none of them can be objectively verified or demonstrated.

It seems to me that the challenge is not to decide which of these claims are true and which are false - we are never going to reach agreement on that, and demonstration of truth or falsity is impossible - but rather to decide, given that we don't and won't agree on this fairly fundamental matter, how we as a society should approach the question of abortion? Is there an approach to this which recognises and respects the diversity of opinion?

Yes, the pro-choice position. If you don't want an abortion then don't get one, if you wish to avail of this service then there's no reason why you should have to travel abroad to get one. It's absolute nonsense because of religious convictions to castigate those that don't wish to see their pregnancies through. Also I firmly believe it is ultimately a woman's choice as they will be the ones to carry the baby.

• Advertisement

Plowman wrote: »

Only if one considers that the right to occupy another person's body is an individual liberty. I doubt many Libertarians do, since they consider an individual's liberty to be paramount.

Oh well, if Christopher Hitchens said it .... :rolleyes:

Well, have you a citation for any part of what Festus quoted?

I do but given that Festus has a habit of asking for stuff and then doing nothing with it when pretended with it I'm not falling over myself to rush out and get them for him, particularly when there are a number of different things discussed in the post I made and he seems to have no interest himself in going into detail over what he wants to know more about. If it was a genuine request because he was interested, rather than simply a stalling tactic, I might be more inclined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Why are people under this strange belief that if Hitchens said it, then all Atheists or similar would agree with him?

Don't get me wrong, I've read all of his stuff and really loved his speeches, but I was still opposed to his views of the Iraq War and a few other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

When it comes to abortion, only one "choice" is considered - the mother's.
    It's more an ultimatum for the baby.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Why are people under this strange belief that if Hitchens said it, then all Atheists or similar would agree with him?
    I don't think the implication is that if Hitchens said it, all atheists must agreee with it; just that if Hitchens said it, it cannot be classed as a view which can only be held out of religious conviction.

I don't think the implication is that if Hitchens said it, all atheists must agreee with it; just that if Hitchens said it, it cannot be classed as a view which can only be held out of religious conviction.

And where is it said that only the Religious are anti-abortion?

I know plenty of Atheists/Agnostics who are quite anti abortion, and even a few Christians who are pro-choice.

That was a simply case of Festus attempting to be a smart-arse, really.

And where is it said that only the Religious are anti-abortion?
    Well, for example, in this very thread, it was strongly implied about four hours ago, by IT-Guy, in post #521.

In post #519 I pointed out that there isn't agreement about when human "personhood" begins, that the question is not a scientific one or capable of being scientifically settled and that future agreement on this question seems unlikely, and I asked how we could approach the question in a way which recognises and respects the fact that there is a diversity of views held in society.

IT-Guy's response, in post #521, was to suggest that the best way of respecting this diversity of views was to disregard entirely, in public policy, the view that personhood is found at conception. And the only reason he offers for discounting this view is that it's held "out of religious conviction", and therefore it's "absolute nonsense" to base public policy on it.

And I don't think IT-Guy's position is unusual. It's quite common for people to propose a legal abortion regime which attaches no weight at all to the view that the foetus has any interest to be respected or protected, and to justify it by saying that religiously-held views must be disregarded in the public policy of a secular state. Whether the argument from secularity is weak or strong, it falls over completely once it is conceded that a "personhood from conception" viewpoint can be held on other than religious grounds. Which, as you and I agree, it can.

Don't get me wrong, I've read all of his stuff and really loved his speeches, but I was still opposed to his views of the Iraq War and a few other things.

It is the advantage of not following what people say as if they are, er, gospel.

Hitchens would, ironically enough for Fetus' rather ignorant post, be the last person to think anyone should agree with what he said simply because he said it.

When did I ever say it was? (Hitchen's was pro-choice by the way, not that particular matters)

Festus should perhaps focus more on building his own position and arguments in support of that position than focusing so much on what other people say. Though as Sonic says, it may just be he is trying to be a smart arse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I'm not sure that there is such a way, since it will always come down to the core issue of whether abortion is legally available or not, in this country at least. I would think though that it should at least be possible for most people on both sides of the argument to say that whether legal or not, it certainly isn't a desirable outcome and we should look at the reasons why some women choose to get abortions in order that steps might be taken to reduce the numbers. Take economic factors - it always annoys me when some people in the pro-life camp (and this seems to be something of a theme in right-wing American politics) argue that abortion is the worst thing imaginable and should be outlawed, and that at the same time single mothers are a drain on the taxpayer and should receive no benefits. So I would think that there should be grounds for both sides of the debate to work together on finding ways of reducing the numbers of crisis pregnancies.

That was a simply case of Festus attempting to be a smart-arse, really.

Really? And how would you describe this?
    Zombrex wrote:

I suggest you stop reading nonsense from anti-abortion sites.
    So I figured it might be helpful to present some atheist "nonesense" in addition to the medical and scientific "nonesense" I had already been reading.

So I figured it might be helpful to present some atheist "nonesense" in addition to the medical and scientific "nonesense" I had already been reading.

Can you point out where Christopher Hitchens said a foetus has a brain after 3 weeks, or that human sperm are not human?

Can you point out where Christopher Hitchens said a foetus has a brain after 3 weeks, or that human sperm are not human?

I can point you towards the medical and scientific literature that states that the life of a human being begins at conception, when the sperm and egg meet and fuse to form a new unique human individual. (It may later divide and give rise to twins or trips or more but lets not complicate things)

I can also point you towards some secondary school biology text books for the answer that human sperm cells are human. Depending on the book it may also state that they are not human beings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

How purposeful the occupation is is not relevant to the argument.

Under the argument the foetus would have no more right to occupy the woman's body simply because it is unaware it is, any more than you have the right to occupy someones house simply because you are sleep walking.

I think it is to a Libertarian when it comes to bodily privacy. I'm not a Libertarian by the way, but so far you have not provided a counter to their argument.

I can point you towards the medical and scientific literature that states that the life of a human being begins at conception, when the sperm and egg meet and fuse to form a new unique human individual.

I can also point you towards some secondary school biology text books for the answer that human sperm cells are human. Depending on the book it may also state that they are not human beings.

But not Christopher Hitchens then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

So, a few pages later, the conclusion is still:

Sperm and eggs are human, but not human beings. Similarly, depending on your philosophy, a fertilised egg is human, but may or may not be a human being.

Everyone agrees with the science, people disagree over what is a human being. Pro-life advocates (from what I can tell) believe DNA defines a human being. Pro-choice advocates believe a mind defines a human being.

Not everything that Hitchens says should be taken literally.

You have to be able to distinguish between the truth and a metaphor for the truth.

He was actually saying 'If materialism existed it would take the position that...' etc.

Not everything is the book is meant to be taken literally. :P

• Advertisement

Wh1stler wrote: »
    Not everything that Hitchens says should be taken literally.

You have to be able to distinguish between the truth and a metaphor for the truth.

He was actually saying 'If materialism existed it would take the position that...' etc.

Not everything is the book is meant to be taken literally. :P

I'm sure I've heard that before :pac:

When it comes to abortion, only one "choice" is considered - the mother's.
    It's more an ultimatum for the baby.

Rubbish!

Do you think that those who opt for an abortion do it lightly? Do you think they lose no sleep? Feel no guilt.

Often, abortion is a choice made out of desperation. It is not as if people view abortion in the same way as deciding what to eat for dinner or what shoes to wear.

Many women who go through abortion need support, not condemnation.

I imagine there will be few Christians in heaven on account of the 'Love your neighbour' maxim. Jesus will say to you, 'You did not feed me when I was hungry or give me water when I thirsted. I was naked but you didn't clothe me; sick and in prison but you did not visit me. Off to the fiery pit with you!'

If it was up to Catholics then we would still have families with more than a dozen children who all suffer from malnourishment because their parents can't afford to maintain a healthy family.

I'm sure I've heard that before :pac:

Sorry if I'm paraphrasing a similar point that's already been made.

I can't help it; when my 'double-standards' radar picks up a strong signal, I feel compelled to point it out.

And it keeps picking up those signals.

The thing is, if abortion upsets God then why doesn't He send an angel of the Lord to those hapless women and perhaps help them to win the lottery or something.

Better yet, if God is omniscient then He should know which pregnancies are to be terminated so why doesn't He just not install a soul into those haploids that will not be born.

Then again, it would seem that He has no problem with putting souls into ectopic haploids. Why would God try to kill women through ectopic pregnancies?

And I wonder why He allows some souls to be mis-carried.

God seems to play fast and loose with His souls doesn't He?

It is fortunate that science has found ways to correct His mistakes. ;)

Well, for example, in this very thread, it was strongly implied about four hours ago, by IT-Guy, in post #521.

In post #519 I pointed out that there isn't agreement about when human "personhood" begins, that the question is not a scientific one or capable of being scientifically settled and that future agreement on this question seems unlikely, and I asked how we could approach the question in a way which recognises and respects the fact that there is a diversity of views held in society.

IT-Guy's response, in post #521, was to suggest that the best way of respecting this diversity of views was to disregard entirely, in public policy, the view that personhood is found at conception. And the only reason he offers for discounting this view is that it's held "out of religious conviction", and therefore it's "absolute nonsense" to base public policy on it.

And I don't think IT-Guy's position is unusual. It's quite common for people to propose a legal abortion regime which attaches no weight at all to the view that the foetus has any interest to be respected or protected, and to justify it by saying that religiously-held views must be disregarded in the public policy of a secular state. Whether the argument from secularity is weak or strong, it falls over completely once it is conceded that a "personhood from conception" viewpoint can be held on other than religious grounds. Which, as you and I agree, it can.

Thanks for the reply Peregrinus, I'd like to clarify one or two things that you've highlighted. As this is the christianity forum my assumption was that most anti-abortion arguments would stem from a religious belief. Obviously certain posters such as yourself have other reasons for your position on abortion. Just to be clear, I'm well aware that anti abortion arguments exist outside of religious beliefs and that both parties can come to the same position independently. Either way, it's wrong to tell someone what they can and cannot do with their own bodies and to have that belief enshrined in legislation in a modern, supposedly secular society.

As for 'a legal abortion regime which attaches no weight at all to the view that the foetus has any interest to be respected or protected', I'm a bit surprised this needs to be stated? If abortion exists then this point is moot to the government involved? The only reason abortion isn't legal here is an argument from numbers/unpopularity, which logically is not a valid reason to prohibit abortion or any other service required of a minority of a population, especially when it has no physical impact on those not requiring or availing of abortion. The argument about when personhood arises is irrelevant, if a woman wants a late term abortion then that should be her right and nobody else's business.

And as they have no responsibility for being there then they have no rights other than those granted at the consent of the mother. If that consent is withdrawn then so do their rights to be there.

Individual liberty is an absolute concept to living individuals which clearly a fetus is not. Deal with the living, not the dead or unborn.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    I'm not sure that there is such a way [a societal approach to abortion which recognizes the diversity of opinion about human personhood] since it will always come down to the core issue of whether abortion is legally available or not, in this country at least. I would think though that it should at least be possible for most people on both sides of the argument to say that whether legal or not, it certainly isn't a desirable outcome and we should look at the reasons why some women choose to get abortions in order that steps might be taken to reduce the numbers. Take economic factors - it always annoys me when some people in the pro-life camp (and this seems to be something of a theme in right-wing American politics) argue that abortion is the worst thing imaginable and should be outlawed, and that at the same time single mothers are a drain on the taxpayer and should receive no benefits. So I would think that there should be grounds for both sides of the debate to work together on finding ways of reducing the numbers of crisis pregnancies.
    I think you’re on to something here.

The rights-based discourse about abortion laws seems to me a very sterile one. It consists of two parties holding inconsistent philosophical positions shouting at one another. Neither of their positions can be shown to be objectively true. Each seeks to have the other’s position disregarded on the (untestable) ground that it is objectively false, and to have its own position reflected in law on the (untestable) ground that it is objectively true. Both sides are, basically, fundamentalist and proud of it. It’s hard to go anywhere from here.

And the result is a very polarized discussion, in which what might be quite large areas of agreement are eclipsed. The great bulk of abortions are undertaken for family planning reasons, as an alternative to contraception, effectively. The women concerned have abortions because they didn’t wish to become pregnant in the first place. And there should be general agreement that, as a form of family planning, abortion is very, very suboptimal. Medically, psychologically, ethically, financially, socially and in many other ways almost any other method of family planning would be preferable.

And, as you point out, many people who do find themselves facing an abortion choice would make a different choice if better supports and a better culture were available. It’s been noted before that, in the US, abortion rates rise under “pro-choice” administrations and fall under “pro-life” administrations, because the other policies which tend to characterize those administrations with regard to social integration, welfare, economic opportunity, community support, etc influence womens’ choices much more than their rhetoric about abortion does.

In other words, a high abortion rate is a real social problem; it indicates that women’s needs and couples’ needs are not being met, and they are being forced into stressful, distressing situations that in most cases should never arise. But in the polarized discussion that we have on abortion, a “pro-choice” advocate could never concede this. Any public policy aimed at reducing recourse to abortion has to be treated as “anti-choice”. And, on the other hand, “pro-life” advocates cannot be seen to support an administration whose policies would forseeably reduce recourse to abortion, because their fundamentalist position requires them to prioritise rhetoric over outcomes.

In short, the fundamentalist, rights-based dialogue about abortion is a pretty toxic one, and it produces really bad outcomes, both for women facing crisis pregnancies and (if we consider they have a moral interest) for unborn babies. It’s no coincidence, I think, that in places where the rights-based dialogue is at its strongest, like the US, we find a very high abortion rate, and a very high proportion of women who feel coerced by circumstance or by the expectation of others into abortion.

It doesn’t have to be this way. We can look at other societies which have liberal, or at least modestly liberal, legal regimes governing abortion, and yet strikingly low abortion rates. The political discourse about abortion there tends not to be expressed in terms of fundamental rights, and legal regimes recognise that while an abortion must ultimately proceed from a woman’s choice, there are other interests involved which the state should protect and which should be factored into the decision. On the one hand, you can see this as a messy compromise. On the other hand, you can see it as something that actually works to afford women choice while at the same time taking seriously the view that their choice affects not just them but others, and that the community has a legitimate interest in influencing the context in which that choice is made.

• Advertisement

IT-Guy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Peregrinus, I'd like to clarify one or two things that you've highlighted. As this is the christianity forum my assumption was that most anti-abortion arguments would stem from a religious belief. Obviously certain posters such as yourself have other reasons for your position on abortion. Just to be clear, I'm well aware that anti abortion arguments exist outside of religious beliefs and that both parties can come to the same position independently. Either way, it's wrong to tell someone what they can and cannot do with their own bodies and to have that belief enshrined in legislation in a modern, supposedly secular society.
    To be honest, IT_Guy, I still find your position here fairly absolutist. You’re asserting an ethical position (“it's wrong to tell someone what they can and cannot do with their own bodies”) which it seems to me deliberately oversimplifies the issue - unless you take the (I think untenable) view that a foetus is part of a woman’s body, an abortion decision can’t be reduced to just a decision about what to do with one’s own body. And then you demand that this be “enshrined in legislation” without any real argument as to why this ethical view, rather than a different one, is the one that must be enshrined.

Your discussion here is partly incomplete. For example you say that the legality of abortion:
    . . . has no physical impact on those not requiring or availing of abortion.
    But to maintain this we need to refute the claim that the foetus, which clearly is physically impacted, is not a person or entity to whose interests we need have any regard; the foetus is not included in the “those” that you speak of. But rather than attempt to establish or justify this assumption, you immediately go on to say that:
    The argument about when personhood arises is irrelevant . . .
    It’s highly relevant - and by your own choice. You’ve staked your ground on a position which requires that the foetus not be a “person”; you can’t dismiss a challenge to your own foundational assumption as “irrelevant”.

And, where your argument is not incomplete, it’s just weak. For example in the following post you make the claim that:
    Individual liberty is an absolute concept to living individuals which clearly a fetus is not.
    But a foetus is clearly “living”, if only because it can die. And it’s an “individual” in at least this sense; it’s a coherent and self-contained organism which is genetically unique, and genetically distinct from both its father and its mother. So I don’t think you can expect to be taken seriously when you say that a foetus is “clearly” not a living individual; it’s arguable that it isn’t, but it’s certainly not clear that it isn’t.

I don’t say all this to have a go at you, but to underline the point I made in my reply to Benny_Cake; the rights-based discourse about abortion isn’t very satisfactory. It tends towards absolutism and fundamentalism, with people on both sides insisting on the acceptance of a philosophical viewpoint which, ultimately, they cannot demonstrate to be true and demanding the rejection of a philosophical viewpoint which, ultimately, they cannot show to be false.

To be honest, IT_Guy, I still find your position here fairly absolutist. You’re asserting an ethical position (“it's wrong to tell someone what they can and cannot do with their own bodies”) which it seems to me deliberately oversimplifies the issue - unless you take the (I think untenable) view that a foetus is part of a woman’s body, an abortion decision can’t be reduced to just a decision about what to do with one’s own body. And then you demand that this be “enshrined in legislation” without any real argument as to why this ethical view, rather than a different one, is the one that must be enshrined.

Yes it is deliberate but not an over simplification, simply a simplification, if you will. If I come across as absolutist then it's because I have a very definite position on abortion that comes from years of consideration and argument as well as experiences with women who had to go to the UK to get an abortion. I had a similar point of view to you Peregrinus in terms of believing the argument should be looked at from the fetus point of view. It doesn't have a point of view, it has no rights as it's not an individual.

I do believe that the fetus is part of the womans body and as I replied to Plowman, it's right to be there is completely at the mother's consent. The reason why I believe abortion should be legalised is because if you don't wish to have an abortion and bring the baby to term then every facility is available to the expectant mother. No impact on those wanting an abortion. For those who want an abortion there is no consideration for their needs i.e. the provision of abortion services. Severe impact on those wanting an abortion.
    It's beyond argument at this point, it's a service that needs to be provided and while we can debate through what seems like an ethical mire, thousands of Irish women are being forced to go abroad for abortions. That to me is much more unsatisfactory than any form of argument/discourse which ultimately serves only to delay the introduction of abortion in Ireland.

Your discussion here is partly incomplete. For example you say that the legality of abortion:

But to maintain this we need to refute the claim that the foetus, which clearly is physically impacted, is not a person or entity to whose interests we need have any regard; the foetus is not included in the “those” that you speak of. But rather than attempt to establish or justify this assumption, you immediately go on to say that:

It’s highly relevant - and by your own choice. You’ve staked your ground on a position which requires that the foetus not be a “person”; you can’t dismiss a challenge to your own foundational assumption as “irrelevant”.

And, where your argument is not incomplete, it’s just weak. For example in the following post you make the claim that:

But a foetus is clearly “living”, if only because it can die. And it’s an “individual” in at least this sense; it’s a coherent and self-contained organism which is genetically unique, and genetically distinct from both its father and its mother. So I don’t think you can expect to be taken seriously when you say that a foetus is “clearly” not a living individual; it’s arguable that it isn’t, but it’s certainly not clear that it isn’t.

I still think it's an irrelevant argument though, it serves only to complicate a simple issue. I don't believe the fetus to be a person, it is still in the developmental stage of growth and until born is still a fetus. Again to me it's quite clear while genetically unique, it cannot be said to be a person. And again you're introducing an argument where I don't see any, serving only to further bog down any progression in the debate. The fetus is quite clearly alive but is not a living individual. An individual is someone born and has all the rights of humanity conferred on them.
    I don’t say all this to have a go at you, but to underline the point I made in my reply to Benny_Cake; the rights-based discourse about abortion isn’t very satisfactory. It tends towards absolutism and fundamentalism, with people on both sides insisting on the acceptance of a philosophical viewpoint which, ultimately, they cannot demonstrate to be true and demanding the rejection of a philosophical viewpoint which, ultimately, they cannot show to be false.

Not to worry Peregrinus, I know you're not having a go at me. You're a reasonable guy, I simply believe you're being reasonable about something you have no right to say no to i.e. whether or not abortion should be allowed. If that marks me as fundamentalist then so be it.

It's unfortunate you don't find rights based discourse very satisfactory, I've found it to be the only way to clear up and simplify a situation that should not be complicated. If a woman wants an abortion in Ireland, she should not be forced to travel abroad or have to endure any form of government induced/sponsored pressure to reconsider. It's patronizing to assume she already hasn't considered her options and decided what's best for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭HamletOrHecuba

I still think it's an irrelevant argument though, it serves only to complicate a simple issue. I don't believe the fetus to be a person, it is still in the developmental stage of growth and until born is still a fetus.

I dont believe that human personhood begins at conception, and neither did most of the Scholastics, however to say that a baby in its mother's womb at a point where it could survive outside of it is just insane. Clearly once it kicks a soul is obviously there.

I dont consider abortion at an early stage murder though I do consider it to be gravely sinful. It should be legalized however in my opinion in Ireland in order to prevent late term abortions in the UK or Holland given how evil this country has become.

Morbert wrote: »

Everyone agrees with the science, people disagree over what is a human being.

That is a self contradictory statement.

Everyone, except Zombrex, agrees with the science. What people, including Zombrex, disagree on is what is a person.

The only reason the argument is shifted towards discussing who is human and who is sub-human, or who is a person and who is not a person, is because there is no argument with the science, so the pro abortion mentality moves to present an argument based on lies glossed up as philosophy where people can be reclassified as human or sub-human depending on what you want to achieve.

The US has abortion because their supreme court determined that constitutionally only a citizen has a right to life and that a citizen is one who is born.
    Obviously this right to life of citizens does not extend to the unborn and for some reason to criminals convicted and sentenced to death.
    It doesn't take much to realize that the US Supreme Court could if it wanted to declare that only people born in the US are entitled to a right to life.

I realize that this thread is about Ireland and not the US but the examples serves to demonstrate the possibilities that are available when philosophy is used to legitimize crimes against humanity.

That is a self contradictory statement.

Everyone, except Zombrex, agrees with the science. What people, including Zombrex, disagree on is what is a person.

And adding the word 'Zombrex' makes the statement not self-contrdictory?
    The only reason the argument is shifted towards discussing who is human and who is sub-human, or who is a person and who is not a person, is because there is no argument with the science, so the pro abortion mentality moves to present an argument based on lies glossed up as philosophy where people can be reclassified as human or sub-human depending on what you want to achieve.

This kind of rambling nonsense is not going to win any support for your position. In fact, it is this kind of rambling nonsense that makes me thankful that you have nothing to do with the decision-making process at all.

Pregnancy is a manufacturing process and you are suggesting that the process starts off with the product.

Bringing the tools and materials together does not mean that a car exists; it doesn't exist as a car until it rolls off the end of the production line.

It is the same with pregnancy; conception brings the materials and tools together and birth is the end of the production line.

It could even be argued that the 'person' doesn't exist until some time after birth as babies are not born with spacial awareness nor are they able to relate your anger to their bad behaviour, etc.

Abortion is no more murder than switching off a life-support machine is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement