Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you have a "twitter" account

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

So, as the only advocate of Twitter, ( so far ) on this thread, let me first admit that there is a Huge amount of krap on it.
    However it's very easy to filter all that stuff out only following the people who post more serious stuff

I am not interested in Jonny Depp's Dogs, Big Brother, or the fact that some guy left some boy band, so none of that stuff appears on my Feed

I did have a peep at Kim Kardasian's well formed behind recently, but purely in case one of the lad's mentioned it over a pint.

I am however interested in Channel 4's Alex Thompson who goes to most of the trouble spots in the world
    Sky's Enda Brady, is good for what's happening as well as Sky's Martin Brunt.
    I was able to follow in detail the Graham Dwyer Trial, reading reports from the Court, as they happened, so I did not have to read the Sunday papers to get a handle on all the evidence.

Some hilarious stuff during ''Liveline'' and The late late, ( they do that on Boards as well )

Politicians are good for a laugh, one of my Locals, posts all kind of stupid stuff, and I get a kick out of telling him so.

Breaking News, for me is what Twitter is good for, so if something breaks, that I am interested in, I can follow the story as it unfolds.

Anyway, each to his own.

The line about all the Passwords being the same, was a joke, but thanks to muffler for pointing out that it's a bad idea to have the same password, in multiple applications.;)

So, again, try it, for example you might come across a powerful piece by Ursula Halligan today.

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/ursula-halligan-referendum-pointed-me-towards-telling-the-truth-about-myself-1.2212960

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

martinn123 wrote: »
    .... exchange photo's of your grandchildren.....

Hold on Martinn123 - rewind a bit - you want photos of my grandson? How many? No probs! Prints or jpgs? No probs a tall a tall! Any time, day or night. Here, take a few spare ones. Ahhhhh go on, they're only small. Oh, these have magnetic backs so you can stick them on your fridge.....or your dashboard. Or these are credit card size so you can have one in your wallet. How about a photo of my grandson on a teeshirt? What size are you? Do you use mugs? I can get you a mug with a photo of my grandson. No probs! You only have to ask.

And....in a few months, you can have photos of my second grandchild. Janey Mac, this is your lucky day.

Now, you know how I hate to be.....curmudgeonly..... but there is just one little, eency weency, slightly off topic point I'd like to make, if I may, about news feeds, including Twitter's news feeds:
    • They're written by journalists;
    • Journalists are trained, muck-stirring, sleezeball airheads;
    • All output from all journalists must be treated as pure, makey-uppy fiction until at least thirteen other journalist verify it or it appears in the Drogheda Independent;
    • The only difference between a sleezeball tabloid journalist and a sleezeball broadsheet journalist is better grammar;
    • Those in search of truth would be well advised to spend more time on Daft.ie or DoneDeal's antique section.

More importantly, the output of journalists used to make excellent chip wrappings but their online output can't even do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Ah no Martinn, I'm not falling for that. No Twitter for me, not now, not evvurrr! Sure I probably would have got that story on the Irish Times site which I check out regularly anyway. Don't worry about me Martinn, I'm not completely uninformed. I'm just informed about different stuff to you. Sorry I don't have any baby photos to send you. I'll send my childer off to knit some for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are you collecting baby pics Martinn? The kids' pics are a bit faded by now, would grandchildren be ok? :P

• Advertisement

Maybe we should stop making fun of Mr. Twitter!

:D

Especially as we are trying to ATTRACT more people into O & O's, not scare 'em away.

:D I'll consider myself told off!

Just slapped my own wrist as well for good measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Just slapped my own wrist as well for good measure.

OG gone off with the fur lined handcuffs again ?

OG has been de-handcuffed of late. He is powerless now, POWERLESS I tells ya! (Cackle, cackle, yuk, yuk!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Have an account but can't make head or tail of it. So facebook for me.

Right, Let's get this straight, I am not looking to exchange pictures of Grandchildren.

Reason being, I have nothing to exchange.

Despite having 2 virile, 30 something heterosexual offspring, they appear to have no interest in continuing the family name,well so far at least.

In the meantime O/H and I have to put up with babysitting the GrandNeice.

So just to be fair, I clicked on the twitter logo on my bookmark bar just to see what I have. An awful lot of Brit stuff. Now notwithstanding my Britness, after 40-odd years in Ireland the UK elections don't have a lot of interest for me. There is lots of archaeology stuff tho, which might bring me round a bit. Ok, Martinn, I will have a peek now and again :) I might even get the hang of it eventually!

Right, Let's get this straight, I am not looking to exchange pictures of Grandchildren.

Reason being, I have nothing to exchange.

Despite having 2 virile, 30 something heterosexual offspring, they appear to have no interest in continuing the family name,well so far at least.

In the meantime O/H and I have to put up with babysitting the GrandNeice.

Et tu Brutus? We are bereft of future descendants also. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Et tu Brutus? We are bereft of future descendants also. :(
    Could you put that on twitter? You might get a lot of followers.

Unless you are a "celeb" what would you want followers for? I have more than enough friends to cope with.

....I am not looking to exchange pictures of Grandchildren. Reason being, I have nothing to exchange.

No "exchange" required. You can have shedloads of photos of my grandson, compliments of his grandad. No strings, unless you want to hang them on your wall, in which case, I'll fit strings.

Regarding "2 virile, 30 something heterosexual offspring", ehhhmmm, that's not really how it works. See, you need ONE virile one and one that isn't virile. If you like, PM me for details.

Er Brens, these are off-springs, ie, springing from the same off. Rather than reducing the odds you actually - in that situation - need four participants, in twos.

looksee wrote: »
    .........I clicked on the twitter logo on my bookmark bar just to see what I have......Ok, Martinn, I will have a peek now and again :) I might even get the hang of it eventually!

Cry, TRAITOR! :mad:
    Could you put that on twitter? You might get a lot of followers.....

Wouldn't have a clue how to do it and won't be investigating it either. :p

• Advertisement

BrensBenz wrote: »

Regarding "2 virile, 30 something heterosexual offspring", ehhhmmm, that's not really how it works. See, you need ONE virile one and one that isn't virile. If you like, PM me for details.

For clarity, both are Male, so I won't be PM'ing you for any details.

I have a good appreciation of " how it works "

Thanks anyway, plus all those who decided my input is a source of ridicule, now I know why this Forum is dying, or in fact Dead.

Thanks anyway, plus all those who decided my input is a source of ridicule, now I know why this Forum is dying, or in fact Dead.

There was absolutely no intention on my part to cause you any offence and I apologise unreservedly if I have done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I am not happy that posters feel they are being ridiculed especially in a friendly and mature forum like this. PM me or looksee with details if you feel this is the case.

Martinn123, so sorry you were upset - it wasn't really ridicule, just the rather childish level of exchange that passes for humour here. I was as involved as anyone, and I unreservedly apologise.

I also apologise Martinn. It was my usual gibberish. Actually thought you were playing along with us though! Usually after following conversations here people would get a general idea of what has been going on in here. I assumed you were 'one of the gang' so to speak and that you understood our tone is usually light hearted and humorous. I had no idea that you being serious about Twitter. Again my apologies for getting it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Oneunited

Got an account, but use it mainly to get information rather than spread it. Having said that there have been one or two untelevised sporting events I've visited where I've known some of my contacts would appreciate info, and I have been happy to mention score updates and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I have an account...well two accounts really. One is for junk and the other is my 'clean' account where only non-trivial stuff goes. I do the same on Facebook, one real account and one trivial account.
    Twitter doesn't suit my needs. The limited size of messages is my main bugbear. It also needs too much maintenance to remove stuff I really don't want to see.

The #hashtags are such a pain in the nads that some people insist on creating. #pain #nads #creating #somepeople #somepeoplehashtagpainnads.

Some groups that I'm attached too prefer to use Twitter for making announcements - archery club, photography club, cigar club etc., and it's just for those updates that I have to keep my Twitter feed going.

I do wish there were a simple unified messaging system. I miss netsend.
    And Usenet alt., rec.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

The #hashtags are such a pain in the nads that some people insist on creating. #pain #nads #creating #somepeople #somepeoplehashtagpainnads.

Sorry for my ignorance, but could you translate into plain English, please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Hashtags are a way of searching and linking to other messages or tweets in Twitter. If you add a hashtag to a message you will be linked to any other tweet that uses the same hashtag.

If for example I wanted to find out about a Boards beers meetup I would include the hashtag #BoardsBeers as it's a common enough phrase and used frequently. Anyone else using the same hashtag would be linked to my tweet.

It's a clever little device but over abused so that the meat of the message gets lost amongst the numerous hashtags entered by some users.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement