Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have a "twitter" account

Options
  • 10-05-2015 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

There seems to be so much these days about a "hashtag something-or-other".

I am assuming that this refers to a twitter account though I may be wrong.

Do you all have a twitter account and use twitter? Or are you like me, uninterested in that type of social media?

I do have a facebook account but only to see some other users who are very often businesses with something to say about their products, or to contact a business because their contact links fail to work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Nope, I don't twit!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

I'm glad you didn't use one extra comma:
    Nope, I don't, twit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I do but only so I can argue with idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

more of a twitcher than a tweeterno idea on twitter myself

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I do but only so I can argue with idiots.

Me too Harry :D

I'm still learning how to use it properly but I'm getting there. I can go for weeks without even checking it so I'm not hooked!

• Advertisement

I'm glad you didn't use one extra comma:
    Nope, I don't, twit.

But, that, would, have, been, rude! :D
    Chucken wrote: »
    .....I can go for weeks without even checking it so I'm not hooked!

Yet! Give it time Chuckie, give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Nope, no twittering at BrensBenz Manor. The idiotic expression "hashtag" was enough to turn me off.

"Hashtag" is used all too often on TV. Hashtag this and hashtag that, I find very annoying. Just use it on the internet and then I won't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭blade1

"Hashtag" is used all too often on TV. Hashtag this and hashtag that, I find very annoying. Just use it on the internet and then I won't worry.

You're watching too much TV!

blade1 wrote: »
    You're watching too much TV!
    No, not much. I think I must be watching the wrong programs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭blade1

No, not much. I think I must be watching the wrong programs!

That could be it alright?
    Reality ones maybe??

Is Judge Judy a reality one. Otherwise its the Big Bang Theory or the news; not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

First (for me) swallows of the year seen about 10 days ago.

Hope This Helps

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a twitter account. Apparently. Daughter helpfully set it up for me. I have no idea what to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Redhenrun

As per above post, have an account,damned if I understand the whole twitter thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Redhenrun wrote: »
    As per above post, have an account,damned if I understand the whole twitter thing though.
    Ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Well, contrary to the general feeling hereabouts, I have a Twitter acc that I use all the time.

By following some of the News Feeds,( RTE News ) etc, and journalists, I get to view News as it breaks, and to follow stories as they happen ( assuming it's something I have an interest in )

I also follow, local business's and can see who has a special offer, or interesting Marketing idea.

Some of the people I follow, are a bit full of themselves, not to mention anyone in particular but Constantine Gurdgiev is a bit weighty, in his commentary

Sean Moncreif is great, especially on a Friday A'noon when they run a type of competition.

I can throw in the odd comment myself, if its a topic I follow, for example some recent tweets between myself and David Hall, on mortgage arrears solutions, currently in the news

My advice, try it out, find some interesting people to follow, you will soon get the hang of it.

martinn123 wrote: »
    Well, contrary to the general feeling hereabouts, I have a Twitter acc that I use all the time.

By following some of the News Feeds,( RTE News ) etc, and journalists, I get to view News as it breaks, and to follow stories as they happen ( assuming it's something I have an interest in )

I also follow, local business's and can see who has a special offer, or interesting Marketing idea.

Some of the people I follow, are a bit full of themselves, not to mention anyone in particular but Constantine Gurdgiev is a bit weighty, in his commentary

Sean Moncreif is great, especially on a Friday A'noon when they run a type of competition.

I can throw in the odd comment myself, if its a topic I follow, for example some recent tweets between myself and David Hall, on mortgage arrears solutions, currently in the news

My advice, try it out, find some interesting people to follow, you will soon get the hang of it.

Yeah buh....yeah buh you're real brainy. I'm just a simple oulfella, happy just to sit on a rock, fixing a lobster pot. I don't even know anybody who uses Twitter and the prospect of trudging through an endless swamp of jargon, alone, with no PLAIN ENGLISH instruction from a human, just to.........whatever Twitter does, doesn't fill me with any joy.

However, I do like Whatsapp because it carries text, photos, links, etc. to and from groups of people I actually want to communicate with.

Now, where was I? Oh yes, left over right and through, right over left and pull,.......

Yeah! Wot 'e said!

Now, Now, fellow Elderly People, I am disapointed.
    When I saw this thread show up I assumed someone would be making an effort to learn a little bit about Twitter, and not just another dumping ground for Curmudgeonly comments on a topic you do not really understand.

So let me help,

open up your twitter acc, put in your password ( it's the same one you use for Facebook, Boards, Your Bank, your laptop, etc )

Now, on the Right, you will see a box '' Who to follow'' click on ''View All''

This will bring up a selection of people you might like to ''follow''

So if Sport is your thing, try Sky Sports, or your local TV channel, or a few sportspersons you are aware of

If its politics, follow Barack Obama, David Cameron, Enda Kenny, your Local politicians, or anyone you admire.

For News, follow your local News Channel, Sky News, your local Radio, Joe Duffy, whoever

If you want up to date reports on what is happening in the Courts, a lively Murder Trial perhaps, follow a journalist covering the story.

Whatever your interests, you will find someone,

Now, just check in to Twitter occasionally, and Tweets will appear from those people your are following, nothing else.

If you want to interact, you can reply to any Tweets by clicking on the Reply Button, your message will go directly to that person, and if they are interested in your thoughts, they might ''retweet'' your message, which is to publish it to all their followers, and some of those, if they find your comment interesting may ''follow'' you

Try it out, you might find it amusing.

If not return to the mindset of ''Feckin Twitter'' what's that all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭looksee

*Sucks teeth* oh now martinn I think you may have opened a can of worms there! (and I still don't give a damn about twitter!) :D

During my time on boards.ie, I have developed that essential aspect of speed-reading where a few words are gathered specifically to become offended by, often on behalf of others, while completely ignoring the rest of the text. See AH for some Olympic class examples.

Well, that....that......post, from a fellow NCDer, left me.........just.........I've never been so.........what? I didn't come here to..........how dare.......Nurse....oxygen.....Librium.....quick. He said.........he.......said....

...making an effort...
    ...to learn a little bit about Twitter...
    ...not just another dumping ground...
    ...for Curmudgeonly comments...
    ...for Curmudgeonly comments!!!
    ...Curmudgeonly!!!
    ...on a topic you do not really understand.

I'll.....I'll....set the Woof on him....Oh, might not be a great idea.
    Well, I'll.....I'll tweet something really clever.....Hmmmm, only two things wrong with that idea.
    Well, I'll.....I'll get that seven year-old to tweet something. He'll know how. Yeah, good plan.

So, martinn123, keep an eye on your twitter thingy, you....you....hashtag#curmudgeonaphobe#hashtag you.....an' stuff.

Yeah! Wot 'e said! Again!!!! :mad:

I've never indulged in Twitter, in fact Martinn your explanation of the thing sounds just like that 'ol Facey Booky thing. Now I do have a Facey Booky page...thingy, which me jewel and darlin' daughter set up for me and I do pop in there irregularly, maybe twice or three times a week now (Lord, I'm addicted! :eek:), and I do receive updates from other Facey Booky people who I have """""liked"""", (but so far I am private and have absolutely NO FRIENDS!! :eek::eek:), sooooooo, are you not just duplicating all that information? It does what it says on the tin...............news and information overload. I really don't care to know that much but I pick and choose the information I really want.

Now I want our mods to get their banhammers ready because besides B--e N-n, and B---o, I want another thing banned from this forum, and that's.........T
    r! Gerrim Fido!

OK, I will try to prevail, for a while against the obvious resistance to Twitter.

It's not like Facebook, where you exchange photo's of your grandchildren, or pictures of you on the beach, or on the pizz.

It can be a source of up to date information, that you might be interested in, like the Reuters Tikker Tape, but where you filtrer the topics, to those in which you have an interest.

Last plea, Try it out for a week, PM me for my Twitter handle, and then let's have a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Too wit to who? Not chance I'd touch it, pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

open up your twitter acc, put in your password ( it's the same one you use for Facebook, Boards, Your Bank, your laptop, etc )

It's not wise to have the same password for all of those mentioned, for security purposes it's best to have different ones for different log-ins

I seem to have the idea, rightly or wrongly, that social media like Twitter and Facebook, dig into your contacts list so that they can come up with people who you can be friends with. I know who my friends are without these apps finding them for me.

Martinn123, you still haven't convinced me that I would be better off with a twitter account, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

vicwatson wrote: »
    It's not wise to have the same password for all of those mentioned, for security purposes it's best to have different ones for different log-ins
    Indeed!

I'm definitely not convinced either. Why the interest in getting us on to Twitter then Martinn? Our lives are rich enough without it. I have a few subs to sites I'm interested in but why would I burden myself with anything more? There really aren't enough hours in the day to keep up with it all. Chillax, man. Take time to smell the roses and the coffee, kick off your shoes, breathe deeply.....deeeeeeeeeply, and exhale, burn some essential oils, take a walk on a beach, listen to that babbling brook or to those Peruvian pan pipes. Ahhhhhh, now, isn't that better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

I could well be missing out but i just never gave joining Twitter/ Facebook any serious thought. I suppose on a superficial Level I assumed they were an outlet for peoples unmoderated dribble.
    I am told by many that Facebook is having a negative effect on smaller sites, content from many users being lost to the forums, easier to form subsets etc. I may get there yet through necessity so.
    On joining twitter,not sure. As more news feeds emerge, the less I seem interested in it. I would know very few users of either as yet.

Advertisement