Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow/Orange starches & proteins that are gluten, dairy, corn and soy free

Options
  • 20-03-2015 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I need the help of foodies and supermarket junkies here! I'm running a food group in a school and because of the various diets the kids are on, the food needs to be gluten/dairy/soy/corn free :eek

Speficially we are doing yellow/orange foods and i need some ideas for protein foods and starch foods that we can use. I'm ok on the fruit/vegie front (thankfully!) Protein so far i have thought of cold hard boiled eggs and maybe some beans if some sort? Stach wise i have found a recipe for oatmeal pancakes but it contains milk - anyone know if i used rice milk instead would they be ok? The food will be cold when the kids get it, so ideally looking for foods that are eaten cold to start with.

Any other ideas for yellow/orange proteins and starches that are gluten/dairy/soy/corn free?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Starches: Pumpkin, squash, carrot, couscous,
    Protein: Smoked salmon, and as you said eggs. A bit stuck after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Mellor wrote: »
    couscous,

To the best of my knowledge couscous isn't gluten free, I'm fairly sure it's made of wheat

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To the best of my knowledge couscous isn't gluten free, I'm fairly sure it's made of wheat
    It's semolina, which i thought was a separate grain, but a quick google confirms its a variety of wheat.
    Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'll move this over to Nutrition & Diet as the good folk over there may be best able to advise you.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Chickpeas might be suitable, yellowish & high in protein. I think they qualify with all your requirments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Thanks all. I ended up making sweet potato biscuits (sweet potato, rice flour & water), oatmeal pancakes with rice flour & rice milk, diary free omlette and chickpea crisps for the group.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Would bell peppers have fit in somewhere

bluewolf wrote: »
    Would bell peppers have fit in somewhere

They would be classified as the fruit/veg.
    In the group we need fruit/veg, starches & proteins and then within that some different textures - puree, hard munchables and dissolvable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NetSquirrel

You really need to make sure that none of the kids has an egg allergy (I mean an anaphylactic reaction that would necessitate an adrenalin shot and immediate trip to hospital) and be extremely careful not to cross-contaminate other foods with the egg through handling or utensils. Remember also that a kid with an egg allergy may get a reaction from mere proximity, without even touching an egg.

You really need to make sure that none of the kids has an egg allergy (I mean an anaphylactic reaction that would necessitate an adrenalin shot and immediate trip to hospital) and be extremely careful not to cross-contaminate other foods with the egg through handling or utensils. Remember also that a kid with an egg allergy may get a reaction from mere proximity, without even touching an egg.

Yes, i checked with all parents about allergies and special diets prior to starting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement