Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

aknitter wrote: »
    The bolero is lovely, have you blocked it yet? That might solve some of your problems.
    If you are adding to it, you could add ribbon in the same colour as the bridesmaids dresses or the button hole for the groom.

So as this is the first piece of clothing I have ever knit I have no idea what blocking is ?! Could you explain?
    The problem that you can't see in the pic is the front is hanging and as a result is about 2-3 inches longer than the back?
    So I pulled it behind my back ( shown in last pic) and just pinned it up ready to sew into a shrug, just wanted some feedback first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATdiyknitter.html

I liked the last photo, and if the front is longer you could always say that's how it's supposed to look! You could knot the front pieces together to get it to look like one of those tie front boleros (sorry I have a cold and probably am not making a lot of sense!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,782 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As aknitter said, its fine, you just have not quite finished it. Blocking is when you very carefully lay it out without stretching it, but making sure it is even and lying where you want it. Spend some time making sure it is absolutely level and even, do it on a couple of layers of towel as it will be too big for an ironing board. (Don't put the towels on a polished table top!). If there are any curled up edges make sure they are uncurled. You may need to pin it in place, slide pins in at a flat angle so they just squash down off the edge of the garment. Now it depends a bit on what kind of yarn it is, different ways are recommended for different yarns, however I have just done it with steam and it has worked fine. When you are happy with the way the garment is placed, and remember, do not stretch it, but encourage the sides to lie evenly, cover with a slightly damp cloth (a plain tea towel is good, not a fluffy one) or a piece of well washed cotton shirt or similar. Then hold your steam iron over it close to, but not quite touching the garment and steam it. Don't 'iron' it, just hold the iron still for a second or two and let the steam go through the covering material. Be gentle and err on the side of caution. When you have finished pat the fabric down gently then leave it to dry completely. Don't rush it, leave it long enough to dry.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATdiyknitter.html

I liked the last photo, and if the front is longer you could always say that's how it's supposed to look! You could knot the front pieces together to get it to look like one of those tie front boleros (sorry I have a cold and probably am not making a lot of sense!)

Thanks! I prefer it tied behind now too think it might work better on the day as it won't cover my dress!
    I will try blocking tho before I try changing it Into a shrug!

looksee wrote: »
    As aknitter said, its fine, you just have not quite finished it. Blocking is when you very carefully lay it out without stretching it, but making sure it is even and lying where you want it. Spend some time making sure it is absolutely level and even, do it on a couple of layers of towel as it will be too big for an ironing board. (Don't put the towels on a polished table top!). If there are any curled up edges make sure they are uncurled. You may need to pin it in place, slide pins in at a flat angle so they just squash down off the edge of the garment. Now it depends a bit on what kind of yarn it is, different ways are recommended for different yarns, however I have just done it with steam and it has worked fine. When you are happy with the way the garment is placed, and remember, do not stretch it, but encourage the sides to lie evenly, cover with a slightly damp cloth (a plain tea towel is good, not a fluffy one) or a piece of well washed cotton shirt or similar. Then hold your steam iron over it close to, but not quite touching the garment and steam it. Don't 'iron' it, just hold the iron still for a second or two and let the steam go through the covering material. Be gentle and err on the side of caution. When you have finished pat the fabric down gently then leave it to dry completely. Don't rush it, leave it long enough to dry.

Thanks that was a really easy to follow explanation! I'll give it a go but as I've just said now I've tried it as a shrug I think I prefer it that way, now to work out how to convert it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

I'm just after knitting my first jumper and I am delighted with it. It's for a doll.

I had a pattern and started knitting. But then turned out too small. So I sat down with the pattern and worked out a load of sums and made another and it turned out well. 3 - to 4 months after taking up knitting, I'm delighted with the work. It was my first knitting pattern that I worked on. A full a4 size page of bits. I learned how to knit one type of button hole and neck shaping and neck band.

I have a bit of a neckband mess. The neckband at the back is lopsided. The back of the jumper is an open design with buttons. One side of the neckband at the back turned out longer than the other side. I'm guessing this happened when I was picking up stitches for the neckband. I must have picked up uneven stitches. I'm not too sure if I should give myself a headache by ribbing up the neckband and doing it again or if I should leave it alone.

Aside from that, I'm thrilled with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I've had ridiculous insomnia the last few nights, which has been great for my knitting. I'm after getting half a shawl done in two nights, and now that I'm finished the lace edge and just onto the wrap and turns it's been a delight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

I've just finished this one. The cowl neck is separate from the jumper which is very handy. I love all the patterns on ravelry the biggest problem is that there is so many to choose from:):):)

4w76.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Thanks that was a really easy to follow explanation! I'll give it a go but as I've just said now I've tried it as a shrug I think I prefer it that way, now to work out how to convert it!

I prefer it as a shrug too.

You can change it. Google 'steek' on YouTube and you ll see how to change the front.

Also google some 1930 s boleros as allot were knitted and shaped around the bust.

Worst case, you remove the two front pieces and make 2 new ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

kinkygirl wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60xeVTwDpnc

I have absolutely no idea if this will work, if not, forgive me. :D

Thanks so much for all your help when I posted this, but despite several tries, the amount of stitches still increased. Maybe I tried to run before I could walk! One day my dream is to post a finished project that looks wonderful, in the meantime I will keep practicing.
    This is such a great thread..and you's are all so kind for helping newbies. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pearl15

Can someone please help need knitting classes on a Passap Duomatic knitting machine for dummies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Hi guys!

Was wondering if you could direct me to some online knitting shops? I know of springwool but was wondering if there was a few more. I have tried ebay as well a few times but would just like to know if there is a few more out there that I could browse through :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    Hi guys!

Was wondering if you could direct me to some online knitting shops? I know of springwool but was wondering if there was a few more. I have tried ebay as well a few times but would just like to know if there is a few more out there that I could browse through :)

Hi,
    I've used thewoolshop.ie
    love knitting.co.uk

If you sign up to their newsletters they send you a free pattern and discount codes. Thewoolshop are brilliant as well. I get next day delivery most times from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I think I've already mentioned it on this thread, but I usually use:

Deramores
    Love Knitting
    Black Sheep Wools. Black Sheep have a brilliant clearance section and I've picked up more than a few bargains there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

kandr10 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've used thewoolshop.ie
    love knitting.co.uk

If you sign up to their newsletters they send you a free pattern and discount codes. Thewoolshop are brilliant as well. I get next day delivery most times from them.
    I think I've already mentioned it on this thread, but I usually use:

Deramores
    Love Knitting
    Black Sheep Wools. Black Sheep have a brilliant clearance section and I've picked up more than a few bargains there.

Awesome stuff!! Thanks guys! Being a big help :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Hello people complete newbie here, decided to get my first pair of knitting needles and some wool over Christmas. Here's x2pic of my first piece so far. Its an infinity scarf with two different types of stitch. Not perfect but pretty pleased to have made a wearable piece on my first attempt! :)

Please have a look and let me know if I did it right, its supposed to be bunny stitch + drop stitch. Also any criticisms welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

Pearl15 wrote: »
    Can someone please help need knitting classes on a Passap Duomatic knitting machine for dummies!!

Hi, I can't help with actual lessons, and I have a different knitting machine to you, but to get you started you could search youtube and you will find video tutorials for the Passap,
    look at this search: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Passap+Duomatic+knitting+machine+&sm=3
    hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Longford Lass

Hi guys!

Aimee Rose is a very good wool shop based in Citywest SC.
    They also have a website...knittingcrochetwool.com and a facebook page too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Hi guys!

Check out this thread you might find something there:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=291879&page=22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Having found out about Continental knitting while working on my Christmas projects (a pair of jumpers for my niece and nephew) I decided to continue with my regular style (English) until I wasn't up against a deadline and try Continental after Xmas. So I started a novelty Hulk scarf for my son a few days ago and decided to do the fiddly bits at the start English style and then the bulk, which is just plain/purl in a straight line in Continental. So for the last two nights I've been knitting in this style with the help of some youtube tutorials.

I think it's going ok. I'm definitely not any quicker at the moment, probably be a bit slower in fact, but I bet if I get to grips with Continental knitting will be significantly quicker, with less risk of getting a sore arm from repetition. I can also imagine that colour work will be infinitely easier, as I kept getting in a mad tangle when doing my nephew's jumper. I'm finding tow things really difficult. One is that I haven't found a way to hold the wool in my left hand in a way that feels natural and the other is that I have to really work at making my stitches loose enough as it's very easy to end up with incredibly tight stitches when knitting this way. Other than that, I just don't feel like I'm knitting as I've always seen the act of knitting as a bit flamboyant and Continental is very minimalist in it's movements.

• Advertisement

I never knew what either term meant, but aftrer looking at a video I realised that I kinds knit like that, I have the yarn through my left middle finger and I pull the yarn through with the right needle.

Thats just the way I was thought but the nuns. My knitting does slant a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

Hi guys!

Here are some more Irish ones:
    This is Knit Powerscourt Townhouse Centre
    Winnie's Craft Cafe Blackrock Dublin
    Vibes and Scribes Bridge st Cork.
    The Yarn Room online only

Also, on Ravelry, in the Irish Knitters group, there's a whole list of actual and online Yarn Shops(15 listed today, 11th Jan 2014) in Ireland, if people reading this would like to visit their local Yarn Shops in person,or try out new online ones. Or to find out if there's a yarn shop to visit in a place they are going to, etc. Do go check it out!:)
    Ravelry is free and easy to join, absolutely wonderful resource for all things yarny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Hi guys!

My sister and myself have found that the www.craftersbasket.com in Sligo fantastic. They are so helpful and very competitive in price.

I go to Knitwits and Crafty Stitchers in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

I ended up ripping the neckband on my finished jumper last week and I knit another neckband and it turned out much better.

I started on a skirt during the week. It was turned out very well. The instructions had me doing it in parts and joining up the knitted bits using what they called a 3 needle join. It was turning out very well last night when I was doing the 3 needle join until I dropped a stitch. I tried to save it but it got lost into my knitting. I then had to rib back on the parts that I joined. I was able to save one piece of knitting but the other knit piece, I couldn't save. I'm knitting today redoing the one that I lost.

I'm making an alpaca DK lace hat & scarf at the moment. I'll post up pix when I'm done, but was wondering which would be the best way to block the scarf? The hat doesn't need to be blocked IMO

TIA! :)

Id try just pin and spray and if not happy move to steam from the iron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Hi guys!

The Constant Knitter in Francis Street, Dublin 8 has a great selection and do online shopping. I haven't bought anything there yet but I've done loads of window shopping.........one day soon, when my unfinished projects aren't, I'll be there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

someone wants to knit a nice mans scarf for me. how many rolls of wool should i buy? thanks

emo72 wrote: »
    someone wants to knit a nice mans scarf for me. how many rolls of wool should i buy? thanks

Depends on the length, and type of wool to be used. I'd suggest a nice Aran. Again, it depends how long the ball of wool is. I made a cable & moss stitch scarf for my father-in-law and used three balls of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran which is about 95m per ball. It was short as he liked to tuck the scarf into his coat.

I'd go back and ask the nice person making you the scarf to advise further...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

Depends on the length, and type of wool to be used. I'd suggest a nice Aran. Again, it depends how long the ball of wool is. I made a cable & moss stitch scarf for my father-in-law and used three balls of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran which is about 95m per ball. It was short as he liked to tuck the scarf into his coat.

I'd go back and ask the nice person making you the scarf to advise further...

wow thanks for the quick reply, boards always delivers! your scarf sounds nice and i dont want it too long. so 4 rolls would be safe enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Finished the Hulk scarf I was doing, pretty pleased with it as it was mainly a practice project.

1531601_799810626701395_1020244292_n.jpg1512451_799810743368050_1273655795_n.jpg

That looks fantastic!

I got involved in a knitting swap on tumblr, and for some reason have decided to make a hat for the first time for it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

That Hulk scarf is so cute! Have you got a pattern?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sunshine77

Hi just started back at knitting and doing a very simple sleeveless jumper for a baby. Currently doing the front and finished one side of the v neck where I had to drop stitches etc and ended with the correct amount of stitches:) I was just about to start the second side of the v neck when I realised I hadn't a clue what to do with the wool. Do I break it? Or just continue as normal? Please someone brilliant at knitting out there help?

sunshine77 wrote: »
    Hi just started back at knitting and doing a very simple sleeveless jumper for a baby. Currently doing the front and finished one side of the v neck where I had to drop stitches etc and ended with the correct amount of stitches:) I was just about to start the second side of the v neck when I realised I hadn't a clue what to do with the wool. Do I break it? Or just continue as normal? Please someone brilliant at knitting out there help?

Break the wool, join on to the next side to be done. Has the shoulder seam been cast off?

So I'm still trying to turn my cardigan/bolero into a shrug, but in the meantime I'm just about to start a ring bearers pillow with the left over mohair, going to keep it simple and just do a basket weave pattern I've done it before with dk so hoping it will work as well with this wool

So I'm still trying to turn my cardigan/bolero into a shrug, but in the meantime I'm just about to start a ring bearers pillow with the left over mohair, going to keep it simple and just do a basket weave pattern I've done it before with dk so hoping it will work as well with this wool

We'll need to see a photo of that! going mad I never thought to make one for my wedding :)

Think I may have solved the bolero problem by turning it into a ballet wrap.... I'm not sure tho, would love some opinions/ feedback

• Advertisement

I think it's lovely, really pretty.

I think it's lovely, really pretty.

Thanks aknitter next step is to try it on with dress and hope it looks good with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Well done! It's beautiful. I didn't post before cos of no advice to offer bits beautiful. Any chance of a pic with the dress when u try it? In also regretting not having done this for my wedding!

kandr10 wrote: »
    Well done! It's beautiful. I didn't post before cos of no advice to offer bits beautiful. Any chance of a pic with the dress when u try it? In also regretting not having done this for my wedding!

Thanks ill definitely post a proper pic :) now to get to work on the ring pillow!

Think I may have solved the bolero problem by turning it into a ballet wrap.... I'm not sure tho, would love some opinions/ feedback

I think it looks lovely! Nifty bit of thinking there. Are you still going to wear it for your wedding?

I think it looks lovely! Nifty bit of thinking there. Are you still going to wear it for your wedding?

Thanks! Yep that's the plan anyway won't wear it for ceremony but for after when I'm outside just have to cross my fingers that it's not too cold of a day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Much nicer than the shrug imo.
    Well done on thinking laterally ! :)
    Looking forward to seeing a pic from the D-Day with the wrap on :)
    Well done

Decided to teach myself how to knit socks...which then ends up with me deciding to teach myself toe-up socks. I'm sensible.

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Decided to teach myself how to knit socks...which then ends up with me deciding to teach myself toe-up socks. I'm sensible.

And how is that going??!!

Remember doing socks in school, hates ir, size 3mm needles, that was enough to put me off, I really have no patience.

And how is that going??!!

Surprisingly ok, for the moment. I'll know more when I do the heel!

• Advertisement
Advertisement