Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coeliac/Gluten Free Teenager Help

• 07-03-2015 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

My 14 daughter was diagnosed a Coeliac last week and is finding it very hard finding tasty gluten free food. Especially at school for lunch all i can give her are sandwiches with the horrible gluten free bread.Any tips/advice appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

Hey OP,
    Has she joined the Irish coeliac society?http://coeliac.ie/ They're a great soucrce of info for all sorts of things not just around food but also for info on how to get a a percentage of the money you spend back on gluten free products.
    When you sign up as a member they send you out a dictionary of sorts with all the food products that are on the market that are classified as gluten free.It covers absolutely everything in it and gives specific brand names too.
    Also on their website they have an extensive recipe section with ideas on it which you may find useful.
    The important thing with CD is to focus on what she can have, not what she can't.
    All meat(as long as it's not in breadcrumbs/batter), fruit, veg and dairy are all gluten free.
    Also, as coeliacs are at a greater risk of developing osteoporosis so it's important that she's getting in lots of milk,cheese and yogurt each day, or else is on a Calcium and Vitamin D supplement.
    Finally https://www.indi.ie/diseases,-allergies-and-medical-conditions/digestive-health.html has some info on CD too.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

rvpalldway wrote: »
    My 14 daughter was diagnosed a Coeliac last week and is finding it very hard finding tasty gluten free food. Especially at school for lunch all i can give her are sandwiches with the horrible gluten free bread.Any tips/advice appreciated
    Thanks

Is it shop bought gluten free bread, I work with a lady who is coeliac and she makes her own with buckwheat flour and gluten free oats. Could she make her own ? Could she bring in alternatives like salads, omlette slices?

Not an option for lunch but if your daughter likes pizza this recipe works really well for a gluten free alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

shell get used to it after a while.

if she likes to cook she should try to get into cooking more and more. shell enjoy cooking everything from scratch and wont rely on crappy pre made sauces etc from shops.

some things that can be awkward are: breakfast and lunch and odd snacks.

for breakfast i rely on bread or home made granola. home made granola is the business and i use this recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1590/goodforyou-granola

actually i started to change the recipe to suit me....i buy sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and a big bag of mixed nuts from dunnes stores....on the back of the bags they say gluten free. thats all the nuts/ berries that i use in the recipe.
    im surprised that all nuts uncoated with whatever flavouring arent said to be gluten free. in the coeliac book, lidl mention two types of bagged nuts that are gluten free, but dont mention the others. when i contacted lidl they simply said they are not mentioned on the gluten free/ coeliac book.

for lunch i bring leftovers from last nights tasty dinner....careful once you get into cooking youll be making some tasty food that will make other colleagues jealous. i also buy super values free from white rools...there are 4 in a pack (2 euro), they look like baps and once toasted taste fine. you can buy similar ones in tesco. juvelis baps are tasty but are quite expensive and i havent seen them in shops as of late...i heard you might have to buy them in a pharmacy????

also you can buy gluten free wraps in tesco....same taste as non gluten free ones. these are handy for lunch and dont need to be toasted. most if not all gluten free bread needs to be toasted to make it taste ok...that said there are some gluten free bread that are similar to cardboard. Bfree bread, think its in a plastic bag, with brown or green labeling is also pretty good once toasted.

sorry this is a messy reply, but im rushing to get as much in before my dinner is ready.

yogurt: glenisk ntural with honey or brown sugar added is a tasty start to a day also...but there are other gf brands of yogurt. theres a cheap lidl one...think it has green cardboard packaging. has gf written on the back.

i could keep writing but my food is ready.
    feel free to ask me more questions, im more than happy to help/ talk about food.

oh, i think some of those cured meats like Serrano ham in lidl are gf, but check the book. hand in a snadwich...or she could cook a nice slab of meat during the weekend and slice it up ready for next weeks school lunches.

avocado on toast is a tasty breakfast...egg on the side :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Aldi has a list on it's website of all it's glutenfree products. Their bread, biscuits and cakes are the best as far as''m concerned.

• Advertisement

oh and one sly food product to be aware of are the spices from lidl, on the back of some of them they say may contain traces of mustard......cereals containing gluten.

i use swarchtz and goodalls brand and also some ones from asian shops...like big bags of chilli flakes.

juvelee oats bought in dunnes are the best oats i find.
    you can buy big bottles of tamari gluten free soya sauce in some asian shops...careful with this one...make sure it says gluten free on the label.

on the asian theme, yamamori restaurant in town does gf food, although i wouldnt touch their misso soup even if some of the staff say it gf... i highly doubt it is and would question some of their other gf stuff like the kimchi sauce. over all if i avoid these things i usually get on fine in there.
    there are plenty of gf places to go and eat in town. for a sandwich fallon and byrne do gf stuff and i get it toasted in there...just ask them to give the toaster a wipe...perhaps that doesnt sound like a good idea, but even though im pretty sensitive to gluten, i never have a problem with their food. they also do a lot of gf hot food and salads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Not all gluten free breads are bad. The aldi bread, made by gallaghers bakery in Donegal is very good and can be frozen and microwaved as needed. It's also available as purebread in other supermarkets but better value in aldi.

They also stock baps, rolls and soda bread.

Supervalu's free from bread is good but can't be frozen.

BFree wraps are also a good choice. Soups are an alternative for lunch. All sully and cully soups are gf.

Salads are a good alternative for lunch but watch out for pre-packed salads with pasta.

Odlums do a great gluten free scone mix that's in lots of supermarkets and might be a way of getting her into baking.

I was only diagnosed 3 years ago but in that time there has been a huge improvement in the product range available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

rvpalldway wrote: »
    Thanks

I'm sure it's very hard for her to get to grips with this, she's in an environment that she wants to fit in and then she has to eat something so different! Has she tried kelkin sourdough? Tastes good, doesn't need to be refreshed and looks "normal"

My sister was diagnosed at 18, didn't really follow the diet as she exhibited no real symptoms. She then developed alopecia, which was far more stressful for her. Once she was strict about her diet the alopecia receeded.

Dunnes also do a really nice brown bread, tastes and looks like the real thing. If she's only tried one type then it's worth considering others.

What has she tried?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Op just came across this blog

http://www.glutenfreecailin.com/

might be useful for products/recipes etc

Advertisement