Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One of the reasons people give up on golf

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I think some of you were playing in a fourball in Ballyneety on Friday afternoon, about 3:15 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

It's a tricky one, though.

On a summer's evening, you could have a lot of guys out for a few holes on their own. Is a fourball expected to let every one of them through?

As has been stated already, on my own, I'd just avoid the fourballs by skipping holes, playing a few balls. I wouldn't expect them to let me through.

If they did I would make an effort to hurry up - picking up after a couple of putts, etc. I would be pissed if I got snide comments, though.

Whenever you get through, just say 'Thanks lads, Appreciate this, I'll be out of your way as quick as possible' Amazingly, I never have any problems.

Common sense and good manners go a very long way.......

The essence of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

I've been n this scenario myself where I'd be practicing and come up behind a fourball. More often than not left through, where I'd say "Will we all go down the fairway together or will I just drive on?". If I'm not being left through I'd ask at the earliest opportunity.

Strange to see a 5 ball on a fairway but they get to the next tee I'm gone out of their way.

Agree totally with the speed of ladies golf. Speed golf.There's a few could benefit from heading out with them from time to time imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Russman wrote: »
    Can you point me in the direction of this rule please ? Genuinely asking as I thought pace of play was dealt with in the etiquette section and not the actual rules of playing the game. If it is just in the etiquette section, then I think its not a great comparison to compare not calling someone through to dropping a ball on the course.

This is the article that outlines it very well
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBSOJvFUcAEIlZ4.jpg:large

You're correct, it is etiquette which I believe is where we get a lot of our general conceptuals on playing the game before getting into the black and white rules, the comparison to dropping a ball was not the best too in hindsight.
    Again, like posts in forums or chat on the course or at work, it's all a matter of opinion and IMHO we should follow the etiquette section as much as the hard and steady rules else it's a complete free for all.

There was also mention of single golfers playing holes here and there, I put them in the bracket of folk jumping holes or cutting in when the space is not there, IMHO they have lost standing on the course and I would be hesitant in letting them play through as else you could have your round destroyed, this is mostly an evening issue in my experience...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

alxmorgan wrote: »
    I don't see the sense behind this. He is as much a member as they are. Why is it his obligation to stay clear ?

If its not a competition and just a match, in other words a friendly, it is no more important than what he was doing.

Above is interesting aspect of this, I have found problematic.
    Perception of a friendly - is perception.

You would want to be some sort of oracle, to understand everything going on in a club over the full week.

There are many official (easy to grasp) and unofficial club competitions going on in a good club all week.

Many of these are "the lads who meet on a Tuesday - or the high handicap lads that meet on a wed" - :confused:
    These are non GUI - but an informal formal arrange that interfering with is a form of - hard to put my finger on it - a black mark. :)

Not a factor here - but as some context.
    Many members - have issue - with lads who jump out of car, play as a 1 ball - jump back in . They feel it is not good for the long term interest and in keeping with the spirit of things.

I have been exposed to some of this.

To be honest - I sort of see their point - they are meeting for a 4 ball "with the lads" on a Tuesday 1034hr every week with 30 odd other members - why don't' you do it too. This 1034 comp - can go onto " About 1pm".

It is complicated - but often the experience is poisoned by the one "arse" - for every "arse" there are 20 lads who say, we meet on a Tuesday - would you not just join us. Many of these lads then say "don't mind him - he is the arsehole" lol.

There is an obligation - for you to have "cop on", and engage as a 1 ball if possible. This is not easy when a new member - requires a certain degree of interpersonal skills.
    I post that as a previous offender -

The Big - this is not particularly relevant to your situation.
    But the ins and outs of a golf club - are often not straightforward.

• Advertisement

I've been n this scenario myself where I'd be practicing and come up behind a fourball. More often than not left through, where I'd say "Will we all go down the fairway together or will I just drive on?". If I'm not being left through I'd ask at the earliest opportunity.

Strange to see a 5 ball on a fairway but they get to the next tee I'm gone out of their way.

Agree totally with the speed of ladies golf. Speed golf.There's a few could benefit from heading out with them from time to time imo.

Agree with above - most are class. They know they are not going on PGA tour any time soon - get over yourself, and get moving.

That is real ready golf - not the - I'm starting my routine now 31 year old 9 handicap lad in poult trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Russman

slave1 wrote: »
    This is the article that outlines it very well
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBSOJvFUcAEIlZ4.jpg:large

You're correct, it is etiquette which I believe is where we get a lot of our general conceptuals on playing the game before getting into the black and white rules, the comparison to dropping a ball was not the best too in hindsight.
    Again, like posts in forums or chat on the course or at work, it's all a matter of opinion and IMHO we should follow the etiquette section as much as the hard and steady rules else it's a complete free for all.

There was also mention of single golfers playing holes here and there, I put them in the bracket of folk jumping holes or cutting in when the space is not there, IMHO they have lost standing on the course and I would be hesitant in letting them play through as else you could have your round destroyed, this is mostly an evening issue in my experience...

Totally agree.
    I guess whether a one ball should have the same standing as a "group" is another day's debate. But IMO, in reality, if someone has to use the "under the rules I have the same standing as a fourball" argument (not you, just in general), they're probably wasting their time as one or other of the sides will get thick. As someone said earlier, manners and common sense should be enough for pretty much any situation that arises.

Every situation is obviously different but sometimes the right thing to do might not always be what you are "entitled" to do. In the Op's case he clearly came across a few a$$holes, it doesn't take rules to know you don't need to be rude about these things. I would take the view that once you call someone through and made that commitment, part of calling them through is actually letting them play through and not putting them under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Russman

Agree with above - most are class. They know they are not going on PGA tour any time soon - get over yourself, and get moving.

That is real ready golf - not the - I'm starting my routine now 31 year old 9 handicap lad in poult trousers.

Love it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

@Fix - I agree that this is a nuanced area.

Personally I would have skipped. But Big chose not to and IMHO behaved impeccably while choosing to do so.

I see the point about guys jumping in their cars and heading home. I am one of those. I would love to hang around for a cup of tea and a chat but life doesn't allow it (bar the blessed ACC :D ). But if they want to hunt all such players out of their clubs then let's see how long the doors stay open.

And I love the Poults pants comment :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Now, now to play golf in non-loud trousers is something to be frowned upon, madder and brighter the better :)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

I think trousers should be like judo.
    The fastest get to wear anything they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

I think trousers should be like judo.
    The fastest get to wear anything they like.

we're still talking about golf...right????;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 forrestgolfer

Sorry to jump in on your thread OP..but just to recount an experience in slow play that I had recently.
    Was out playing a three ball at the local club..Sunday morning competition you know the story. Playing off the forward tees as 18 holes only just recently opened up. The group in front of us was horrendously slow. We asked them on three occasions to speed up or let us through. They ignored us and on one occasion we were told to lighten up.When we got to the 15th green we observed them on the 16th teebox allowing the group ahead of them to tee off on the 18th (the 16th and 18th teeboxes are in close proximity) so they had lost two full holes in 16 off the forward tees! We putted out on 15 and went to the 16th teebox. A few minutes went by and eventually they got to the 16th green leaving us to tee Off. the 16th is a downhill par four..about 290 yards..and I've never seen anyone drive it. I was playing with a young enough fella he could hit it a long way when he connected. He said he may get close but probably wouldn't reach with the wind and be off target. So we said fair enough hit away. He hit an absolute corker that landed about 6 feet from the pin while the lads were putting out. We shouted fore as loud as we could and the lads moved away when they heard it. However when we went down they went ballistic at the young fella. Who in turn gave out to them for playing slowly.What is people's opinions of this? Was he wrong to hit down or should he have waited for the green to clear..imo the slow play all day made the young fella go a little bit mad and gave him the bit extra to reach the green..

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Apart from the guy being a complete prick, which is absolutely unacceptable, if a 4 ball is in front of more fourballs, letting a single through is
    a nice gesture but pointless, he's not going to play through them all, but I'd always let a single player through and make it known that we should.

If there is a fourball, and some two and threeballs ahead, it's a disgrace not to allow the single through, for the sake of 5 minutes. If there is a single, and a two ball behind that, he can get fu*cked and join them imo. Not enough players do this, don't expect to play through a fourball when you won't join a twoball behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Sorry to jump in on your thread OP..but just to recount an experience in slow play that I had recently.
    Was out playing a three ball at the local club..Sunday morning competition you know the story. Playing off the forward tees as 18 holes only just recently opened up. The group in front of us was horrendously slow. We asked them on three occasions to speed up or let us through. They ignored us and on one occasion we were told to lighten up.When we got to the 15th green we observed them on the 16th teebox allowing the group ahead of them to tee off on the 18th (the 16th and 18th teeboxes are in close proximity) so they had lost two full holes in 16 off the forward tees! We putted out on 15 and went to the 16th teebox. A few minutes went by and eventually they got to the 16th green leaving us to tee Off. the 16th is a downhill par four..about 290 yards..and I've never seen anyone drive it. I was playing with a young enough fella he could hit it a long way when he connected. He said he may get close but probably wouldn't reach with the wind and be off target. So we said fair enough hit away. He hit an absolute corker that landed about 6 feet from the pin while the lads were putting out. We shouted fore as loud as we could and the lads moved away when they heard it. However when we went down they went ballistic at the young fella. Who in turn gave out to them for playing slowly.What is people's opinions of this? Was he wrong to hit down or should he have waited for the green to clear..imo the slow play all day made the young fella go a little bit mad and gave him the bit extra to reach the green..

Slow play drives me nuts and inconsiderate XXXXX who won't let people through are a pain. However there are ways to address that. "Probably won't reach" is not a sufficient justification for risking hitting into people. You guys were somewhat complicit in telling him to hit, especially as he was young and inexperienced but it was his call and his responsibility.

Two wrongs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

He was in the wrong, big time.

He was probably embarrassed they had a go so got defensive, but hitting into a green where someone is playing has gotten people in a lot of trouble.

If a player has never hit his 3wood 230 yards, and the green is 245 away, play away. If some bomber is playing, don't even consider it.

Advertisement