Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 visa

Options
  • 13-01-2015 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi,I am going to Australia on A e651 holiday visa.Then transferring to 457,
    Is it possible to do this.or will I have to leave Australia to do this.
    Also,do I need A garda Cert,and medical cert to apply for the 457 visa.Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Hi,I am going to Australia on A e651 holiday visa.Then transferring to 457,
    Is it possible to do this.or will I have to leave Australia to do this.
    Also,do I need A garda Cert,and medical cert to apply for the 457 visa.Thanks

Why aren't you going straight onto a 457?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 snakeeyes2007

aido79 wrote: »

I have 3 companies interested on sponsoring me.I am going to meet them,and talk with there employees before I make any decision.As I was let down in 2012 with A 457 visa,

aido79 wrote: »

I have 3 companies interested on sponsoring me.I am going to meet them,and talk with there employees before I make any decision.As I was let down in 2012 with A 457 visa,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Do they know you are coming on a holiday visa and therefore cannot do any trial or work at all? Don't presume they do, many may think you are coming on a WHV.

The 457 visa promises can just as easily fall through when you are here.

Also if immigration find out your intention upon landing at the airport they may be concerned that you are likely to work or stay on illegally if your 457 does fall through.

• Advertisement

Is there anyway that one of the companies would nominate you for residency or you chortle apply for a skilled visa? A 457 is possibly the worst visa to be on in Australia because you are tied to one company and if you have never worked for this company then you have no idea how they will treat you or what they are like to work for. Also if you come on a holiday visa make sure you don't bring anything with you that might suggest you are coming to work in Australia such as work clothes, work boots, tools or copies of your cv or you may find yourself on a return flight the same day you arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

The e651 is for a visitor or business visitor purposes so visiting companies to speak to them should be ok.

Immi website states:

"- engage in business visitor activities while in Australia provided you:

- do not work for or provide services to, a business or organisation
    - do not sell goods or services to the public

- making general business or employment enquiries
    - investigating, negotiating, signing or reviewing a business contract
    - activities carried out as part of an official government-to-government visit
    - participating in conferences, trade fairs or seminars, as long as you are not being paid by the organisers for you participation."

If I get A garda cert in Ireland before I go to Australia.how long will my Garda Cert stay Valid for.Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If I get A garda cert in Ireland before I go to Australia.how long will my Garda Cert stay Valid for.Thanks.
    The cert itself doesn't have an expiry date. Whoever requests it may require that it was issued within the year.

catbear wrote: »
    The cert itself doesn't have an expiry date. Whoever requests it may require that it was issued within the year.

ok great thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Technically the certificate is only valid at the time it is created. You could get arrested and convicted the next week. In Australia, the Immigration Department require that the certificate be no more than one year old.

ye I know this.I am just HOLIDAYING,
    POSTING ANYTHING TO DO WITH VISAS ETC TO MY FRIEND BEeore i fly out.thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 geoion

Hi All,

I have recently applied for sponsorship visa 457 and it's been nearly 4 weeks since I have lodged our applications. The nomination has been granted and we were asked to do medicals for kids and chest xrays for myself and hubby. Did them and they have also been submitted .
    Just wondering what is the next stage ? Does anyone know how long it will take from now for the visas to be approved?
    Do they ask for anything else? We have submitted the police cert and IELTS english exams too.
    Any advice or info? Thanks :)

geoion wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have recently applied for sponsorship visa 457 and it's been nearly 4 weeks since I have lodged our applications. The nomination has been granted and we were asked to do medicals for kids and chest xrays for myself and hubby. Did them and they have also been submitted .
    Just wondering what is the next stage ? Does anyone know how long it will take from now for the visas to be approved?
    Do they ask for anything else? We have submitted the police cert and IELTS english exams too.
    Any advice or info? Thanks :)
    unless it's the new thing you don't need police cert or medicals for a 457, are you using an agent?

unless it's the new thing you don't need police cert or medicals for a 457, are you using an agent?

Yes we are using an agent. All the paper work was submitted plus our medicals. I am wondering now how long does it take for approvals? Are there any other requirements from the immi?

Yes we are using an agent. All the paper work was submitted plus our medicals.It was required from the Dept of immi. I am wondering now how long does it take for approvals? Are there any other requirements from the immi?

When we applied directly through IMMI for a 457 without needing police clearance and medicals. We just needed an employment contract from a sponsor paying industry rates and the role being on an approved on the skills list. English proficiency wasn't mentioned either.

Any chance you could be mistaking the type of visa you've applied for?

It must be A long time since you got your 457.
    you have to have police cert,and chest xrays.I am doing my 457 at the min.

When we applied directly through IMMI for a 457 without needing police clearance and medicals. We just needed an employment contract from a sponsor paying industry rates and the role being on an approved on the skills list. English proficiency wasn't mentioned either.

Any chance you could be mistaking the type of visa you've applied for?

No I am not mistaking the visa as I am still in the process of it. We have submitted the paper work nearly 4 weeks ago and the two things that were asked with the papers were POLICE CERT and IELTS EXAM. And about 10 days ago were asked to get medicals and chest xrays done.

geoion wrote: »
    No I am not mistaking the visa as I am still in the process of it. We have submitted the paper work nearly 4 weeks ago and the two things that were asked with the papers were POLICE CERT and IELTS EXAM. And about 10 days ago were asked to get medicals and chest xrays done.
    Its on the 457 check list.you do have to have police cert.and chest xrays.

• Advertisement

Its on the 457 check list.you do have to have police cert.and chest xrays.

What is the cost of chest xrays in sydney.would you know.thanks??

I dont know the cost as we did our in London :)

Nothing about police clearance or medical here:
    http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/checklists/457-applicant.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭/V\etalfish

I got my 457 8 weeks ago, and we didn't need a medical nor police cert.
    I did have health insurance with work previously and I was required (company policy) to have health insurance for the duration of the visa here.
    Maybe that has something to do with the medical/x-rays not being needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

If you are from a low risk country like Ireland X-rays & Medicals are only if you intend working in a medical field, Hospitals, with old People or Children.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/health-requirements/health-exam.htm

You don't need Police certs or IELTS either, if you did it would state on Requirements on Immigration website.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/checklists/457-applicant.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

Can anyone confirm if there is a minimum salary you must be on to gain a 457?

Also, is there a difference between a 457 and an employer sponsorship or are these the same?

There isn't a minimum salary to be on to get a 457. There is a minimum salary that a role needs to have to be eligible to be on the CSOL. (however, this effectively means it is the minimum salary)

https://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/increase-income-threshold.htm

You can only get a 457 if being sponsored by an employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

ArseBurger wrote: »
    There isn't a minimum salary to be on to get a 457. There is a minimum salary that a role needs to have to be eligible to be on the CSOL. (however, this effectively means it is the minimum salary)

https://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/increase-income-threshold.htm

You can only get a 457 if being sponsored by an employer.

So if my position for example is on the list and salary doesn't meet the minimum would there be any issues? does there have to be proof shown that I am been paid the minimum?

The employer needs to show how much your salary will be when applying for the 457.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

So if my position for example is on the list and salary doesn't meet the minimum would there be any issues? does there have to be proof shown that I am been paid the minimum?

Yes and yes.

The issue being that the company could be seen to be undercutting local workers.

A copy of your contract, including salary, needs to be submitted with a 457 visa application.

Currently min salary is circa $55k although this figure increases most years on July 1.

Advertisement