Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving back to Ireland with 2 under 3 after 6 years in Australia

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Was back in Ireland recently and the mood was much improved. To be honest the mood was one of the primary reasons I left a job during the gloom to come out to Aus (the pay was another but not a primary one).
    One guy said to me that I was better off out in Australia as now there was property taxes and water rates being brought in. I had to explain to him his principle gripe already exists in Australia, he was shocked.
    Far away hills and all that.
    As for corruption in Australia, there are tax write offs like negative gearing that totally rigged against society. It might not seem like corruption but it is corrupting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 andymun

i think we have too many options these days if for some reason i actually had o go back to ireland and had absolutely no choice it would make it easier my head is melted i must admit i feel like everyday blue skies sunshine beaches is like winning the lotto but i have nobody to share it with and, and yes all those taxes already in place and its something ireland should have done years ago maybe thats why things are as bad as they are and now bringing them in when people are broke is just a bit of a slap in the face but has to be done and i think ireland is a great place the only reason i left was to have an adventure and i did i had a ball but now with kids it makes it harder im glad to hear the mood have improved

oh such hard decisions ahead and lots of long talks

andymun wrote: »
    im glad to hear the mood have improved

oh such hard decisions ahead and lots of long talks
    Dublin was upbeat although anywhere building houses was the principle employer during the bubble are pretty quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

bean14 wrote: »
    im a first time mammy of a ten week old baby girl. i am very lucky that both sets of grandparents live nearby. i really value having family close by. yes ireland isnt the best country in the world but i love the sense of community and family that i have come to appreciate in recent weeks. little things like going into a shop and somebody congratulating me. wild horses wouldnt take me away especially now i have a child. best of luck with the move

You are right that having family is a fantastic plus to being at home in Ireland. But I have to say I have found a good sense of community where we are living in Perth. People on the street and in shops are always stopping to chat to us and our children. Neighbours and people on beaches and in playgrounds will start chatting to you very easily. Our eldest has started school and there is such a strong community spirit around the school. Parent helpers (volunteers) in the classroom every day for example. In 5 weeks we have had a parents coffee morning and a family picnic. There are other social events organised too. It feels like a community, much more so than at schools my nieces and nephews attend in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

catbear wrote: »
    Dublin was upbeat although anywhere building houses was the principle employer during the bubble are pretty quiet.

I was listening to Morgan Kelly on Irish Breakfast radio on Monday and he says that the crisis is far from over ....it may only getting started. Small-Medium business that has been the life blood of Ireland over the last few years could be at risk if the banks call in outstanding property debts that a lot of business invested in during the boom. They can temporarily move numbers around on the ledger page but eventually will run out of paper, I don't think you don't need to be a Professor to realise that it's too soon to call a turnaround in the economy when it was predicted it would take far longer.

Upbeat may be short lived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I was listening to Morgan Kelly on Irish Breakfast radio on Monday and he says that the crisis is far from over ....it may only getting started. Small-Medium business that has been the life blood of Ireland over the last few years could be at risk if the banks call in outstanding property debts that a lot of business invested in during the boom. They can temporarily move numbers around on the ledger page but eventually will run out of paper, I don't think you don't need to be a Professor to realise that it's too soon to call a turnaround in the economy when it was predicted it would take far longer.

Yeah, I read through a summary of his points and I'm inclined to agree. I really hope he's wrong, but jobsbridge and such are just moving furniture, not rebuilding, and if SMEs get hit with big credit calls from the banks then it'll be a other big dip, and another wave of emigration.
    Things aren't that hectic here either. There are some real cracks showing in QLD, with the taper of Gladstone LNG and the same out in the Darling Downs. Not drastic, just a slow up of tenders and upcoming works. the bump is still 6 months minimum away for the Doozers.

mandrake04 wrote: »

I wouldn't disagree with Morgan Kelly, when i read his piece about the bubble in 2006 any notion of buying a property evaporated.
    I'm just glad that self perpetuating doom and gloom aura had lifted. There may be a relapse ahead but generally i think most were just fed up of constantly feeling miserable.
    Joe Duffy is there for those who wish to wallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Just like the banks will not repossess every household in arrears a similar deal will be done with SME's for their investment loans.

Investment and core loans, that's the latest story doing the rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ozexpat

first time poster been reading a bit from oz to see what mood is at home.

interesting thread pretty relevant to me out of ireland going on 9 years, 5 UK now 4 in oz, and perth resident, have perth wife, house, and now new baby...and we are planning to move to ireland "for a few years" in a few years time after have second baby...

Seems to be the consensus there's good things about both , Oz (perth) : lifestyle, sun , beaches etc...Ireland : family + friendliness.
    Defo have found abroad that i was always curious to know why people like ireland and they always say the people so it is true.
    I don't think people over here as friendly, then again they don't moan as much lol..

I wonder how I'll like it when I go back though (as very set on the plan and me+wife quite organised)...and whether its true like some people saying that family is the most important thing
    think I will find the weather very hard to get used to again, I constantly hear about it anytime talk to anyone at home..
    only time will tell i guess......

Will be great to catch up with family + friends for sure its why we going back, but going back to ireland as had enough of cost of living down under?

This seems to be a common thread here and to me is nonsense. granted me + wife in well paid jobs here , but we accepting when we move back we're going to have less spending power, because jobs if they are there don't pay that well at home.
    All my irish friends here in varying professions say the same.
    I remember back after a year or two in london i had phone interview for job in dublin when half though might go back...the offer was laughable compared to salaries in over the water...

of course cud be all changed now and i'm talking raimeis...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Was back in Ireland recently and the mood was much improved. To be honest the mood was one of the primary reasons I left a job during the gloom to come out to Aus (the pay was another but not a primary one).
    One guy said to me that I was better off out in Australia as now there was property taxes and water rates being brought in. I had to explain to him his principle gripe already exists in Australia, he was shocked.
    Far away hills and all that.
    As for corruption in Australia, there are tax write offs like negative gearing that totally rigged against society. It might not seem like corruption but it is corrupting.

I understand what you are saying, but actually living in Ireland and you get the full whammy of exactly how bad things are. Sure people are putting a good face on it but it doesn't change the absolute rottenness of the systems we have to work with. I don't disagree re the household charge and prsi but we are now we taxed and doubled taxed and for good measure been taxed again. Much of the money is going to bail out the banks who engaged in at best dubious practices but because the government has largely refused to do anything about the inherent corruption and instead has re floated them at the expense of services and are in the process of fleecing joe public to pay for the whole caboodle. While many have lost jobs, taken pay cuts and seen basic services already paid from the taxes paid and then taxed again for the same services.
    PRSI here used to give the employed basic medical cover for dental, optical etc. that cover is gone but you still pay prsi plus USC and the health levy. My son is at the stage of emigrating due to the very few real employment opportunities other than state sponsored slavery under the new 'employment' schemes, I have seen the bad time of the last five decades and this in my opinion is the worse state I have ever seen the country in. As I said I love the country but it is sad how badly it has been asset stripped by a few vested interests who have lined their own products and those of their friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 andymun

i think family is so important and for me i really want my kids growing up with cousins aunts uncles and grandparents as well as being able to have time for me and my husband just knowing they kids are with family because although its about the kids but its also about you and you husband/wife i struggle not having any quality time together as he is away working but not only that the kids will make a life for themselves no matter what or where they are when they are older they might travel so having that duel citizenship is important plus you can always come back to retire maybe but its a tough one the weather is fab but family is everything

drogheda girl on a rant sorry lol

gozunda wrote: »
    As I said I love the country but it is sad how badly it has been asset stripped by a few vested interests who have lined their own products and those of their friends.
    I would counter that the electorate is as culpable for the corruption. Every election you hear people ask candidates "what are you going to do for me", that's an auction of favours, a license for corruption.
    Of course people didn't see it as corruption when permission was granted for building on floodplains etc.....
    But that was because there was a feel good factor, everyone had money even though it was borrowed from their future.
    I can see similar things happening in australia, maybe not ghost estates etc but certainly similar if not worse personal debt issues.
    If the **** hits the fan will there be a chorus shouting corruption for practices like negative gearing which are acceptable during the good times?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

andymun wrote: »
    i think family is so important and for me i really want my kids growing up with cousins aunts uncles and grandparents as well as being able to have time for me and my husband just knowing they kids are with family because although its about the kids but its also about you and you husband/wife i struggle not having any quality time together as he is away working but not only that the kids will make a life for themselves no matter what or where they are when they are older they might travel so having that duel citizenship is important plus you can always come back to retire maybe but its a tough one the weather is fab but family is everything

drogheda girl on a rant sorry lol

Just a word of advice, grandparents are certainly important but a lot of kids won't give a **** about whether they know their cousins or not. Seriously the amount of people I know who didn't like their cousins at all but were expected to be best friends just because they were related is just too high to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 chickplumber

I'm interested to know how you get on with a move back to Ireland. We're in NZ and thinking along similar lines, have two small kids here now and it's very hard to be on the other side of the world-missing home quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Was just chatting to my mate the other day who moved back to Ireland from Melbourne to get married after 5 years out here. They are living in Dublin and struggling to adjust to being back in Ireland. Also with the tax situation and Irish salaries you end up with a lot less cash in your pocket. They both work in good jobs but trying to buy the kind of place they want in Dublin is next to impossible. This would be a big thing for me.
    I'm living in Brisbane and currently looking at trying to buy a property here, I see myself moving home at some stage (I'm 30 now) but it would just seem like financial suicide to do it at the moment...
    I rang the bank the other day here and I can basically get a mortgage to buy the exact kind of place I want here, If I moved back to Dublin, I wouldn't have a hope...
    My mate said they havent ruled out a move back to Melbourne in the new year...

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Interesting thread.. I see many more these kind of threads popping up in Aus forum lately. I wonder if this is similar for many people who emigrate to Aus, in that after 5,6, 7 or so years the call of home grows too strong to resist? I see the Canada forum full of younger people on exciting adventures as Canada is the 'new Aus' these days... I wonder how the Canada forum will be in a few years. Instead of the 'I'm heading to Canada in x weeks, any advice..' It will be 'We're heading home, any advice' ?!

Best of luck to OP and others who now have family or have been away for several years and now begin planning their exciting return home.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

daelight wrote: »
    Interesting thread.. I see many more these kind of threads popping up in Aus forum lately. I wonder if this is similar for many people who emigrate to Aus, in that after 5,6, 7 or so years the call of home grows too strong to resist? I see the Canada forum full of younger people on exciting adventures as Canada is the 'new Aus' these days... I wonder how the Canada forum will be in a few years. Instead of the 'I'm heading to Canada in x weeks, any advice..' It will be 'We're heading home, any advice' ?!

Best of luck to OP and others who now have family or have been away for several years and now begin planning their exciting return home.

I wouldn't say 'home' is too strong to resist as in it's the time frame. If you've moved country/city/whatever, 6, 7 years begins to become **** or get off the pot time. By the time people (not all but most is fair to say) reach their late 20's/early 30's and kids and house begin to come along you need to make a medium term choice as to where you want to be and a lot of people just don't see themselves in Australia for the next 15-20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rebel333

Well I'm back 8 months now and havnt regretted yet.. Yes I miss the weather, beaches, money but just to hear my toddler get so excited when my mum calls.. Nana nana nana.. Makes it all worth it., the help with the kids is great... The option is there to go back in time, but at the moment no regrets.. Just need to get better jobs.,

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Been And seen

Hi, I just wondered if your move back was a success?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rebel333

we are back now, exactly a year and I can say I love it. I miss the beaches and the weather a lot, and the outdoor lifestyle, but I love that the kids know their grandparents, and aunts and uncles and that more than makes up for it.. my husband is still in a ****ty job but its work, I went back this year and its grand..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Morshlac

Hi all,

My husband and I are pretty much set on our decision of moving back to Galway sometime toward the end of this year with our two children (both under 3). :) We have lived in Perth for over 5 years at this stage and have come to the point where we feel guilty having our children miss out on their grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles and vice versa - and of course our country, the friendly people, history and culture which is pretty much non existent here.

Australia has been great since day one and we have never said the words "I hate this place" or anything of a sort. At the end of the day, we have done our travelling, had our nights out, met lovely people along the way but now that we have our children we are more than ready to move home. We could never call Perth home - it is, for us, very difficult to get a sense of community - not knowing neighbours, postman, seeing familiar faces when out for a walk or at the shops. It's the small things that we miss greatly. Sure, the lifestyle and weather are great here but you work hard to get money in each week and the cost of living is through the roof. For us to be able to keep a mortgage paid and the bills paid, I would have to work full time and my husband would have to work FIFO (which he is currently doing on 28 days away and 5 days home with me and the kids). That is no life for a family but it is the reality of Perth.

So after my long life story above, has anyone been in a similar situation and done the move? Anyone know anyone who has done it or thinking of doing it? We would like to hear if anyone had a complete change of mind once they moved back home because once we move thats it, there will be no coming back for us!
    Thanks everyone ;)

how did the move home go?

in quite smilar situation so interested to hear from OP or others who did the move with young kids.. debating going back next year and see how it goes for a year or 2..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rathnew

I've just seen this forum, I'm in this position now so just wondering if any of you did move home and how it went?

Rathnew wrote: »
    I've just seen this forum, I'm in this position now so just wondering if any of you did move home and how it went?
    Here's some good stories from people with kids who made the move back.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/returning-to-ireland

Don't have kids but my wife and I moved back two years ago after three years there and there hasn't been a day we've missed it. On our facebook feed pictures will pop up from our time there and they only reaffirm out decision to quit. It's not that I disliked australia but despite the money it did absolutely nothing for us other than provide a bolt hole when my wife lost her job in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Might also be an idea to post in the Jobs section and Area where you plan to live on this site to get some info as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Moved back to Ireland 18 months ago with 2 under 7.
    I work in construction, lots of work in Dublin, to a lesser extent cork and secondary cities.
    OH only went looking for work a few weeks ago for first time and got 2 job offers in first week after looking in call centre type roles.
    I was on ridiculously good money in aus so it took a while to get head around the reduced wages here again but that said we are doing ok, we will never have the boat and the jet skis etc that every second person had in aus but we are ok with that.
    Will never be 'rich' but being within walking distance of 2 grannies and a heap of cousins is immeasurable for my 2 kids who struggled to make friends in aus despite my OH breaking her arse with play dates etc, just bad luck I think as lots of non English speakers in the kids school.
    Was best move we made going home. We have Aussie passports if needed again but for now no plans to move, biggest issue is finding a house to buy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rathnew

I don't have any kids yet but it's on the cards soon. I never thought I'd live in oz forever but my fiancé is Australian and wants us to stay there. So I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard stone. I have the urge to go home not sure how I feel if I have kids away from my family. Great lifestyle in Australia and it is an amazing place to have a family then why do I feel the pull to go home. Arghhhhhhh help!!

Rathnew wrote: »
    I don't have any kids yet but it's on the cards soon. I never thought I'd live in oz forever but my fiancé is Australian and wants us to stay there. So I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard stone. I have the urge to go home not sure how I feel if I have kids away from my family. Great lifestyle in Australia and it is an amazing place to have a family then why do I feel the pull to go home. Arghhhhhhh help!!
    That's a tough one.

Do you want you kids to be little Bretts and Kylies with Australian self assuredness or Conors and Aoifes who are globally and culturally outlooking and aware?

Aside from the relationship what do you actually think personally about Australia? Is it a place you want to grow old in?

That was one thing we really couldn't look beyond, we could not see ourselves growing old there, tipping around the continent in our RV in our twilight years, dropping into identikit RSLs and lawn bowl clubs etc.. We missed the variety of Europe. The party is definitely in the northern hemisphere. What can I say, I'm aboriginal of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I have cousins in Dublin I barely see. My grandparents emigrated to Perth in 1970 and I have six aunts and uncles and seven cousins there. I would be in touch with them most days. So it's mindset not geography as you get older.

Personally I could never live there...if you're not coupled up or as a female have a good job...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is it a place you want to grow old in?

That was one thing we really couldn't look beyond, we could not see ourselves growing old there, tipping around the continent in our RV in our twilight years, dropping into identikit RSLs and lawn bowl clubs etc.. We missed the variety of Europe. The party is definitely in the northern hemisphere. What can I say, I'm aboriginal of Ireland.

When I was there I met a Croatian expat retired couple who were driving around the perimeter of Australia in their camper van. They sold their house and travel full time spending the winter in the northern half of the continent and then coming down south for their summer.

I thought it was a pretty cool thing to do.

Doing the same in Ireland wouldn't have the same appeal!

• Advertisement

Doing the same in Ireland wouldn't have the same appeal!
    But traveling around Europe does! I done the road trip thing, east coast Oz, west coast and route 66 in north america and those long driving holidays get boring fast.

Advertisement