Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Takeaway - Who pays?

Options
  • 18-11-2011 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭

So last night myself and my brother were invited around to my sisters house for a takeaway.

Who would people expect to pay in this case?

Normally I'd invite her and her husband around and I'd cook and naturally wouldn't charge them.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

complications arise when you invite bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

the neighbours 3 doors down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

pmcmahon wrote: »
    complications arise when you invite bother.

Typo corrected.

Well done sir you've corrected an error on the internet.
    Off to wikipedia with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

You pay for what you ordered. Unless it was a pizza then it's split x ways (x is the amount of people.........But I'm sure you guessed that).

mathie wrote: »
    Typo corrected.

Well done sir you've corrected an error on the internet.
    Off to wikipedia with you.

too cheap to add the "R" tut.

• Advertisement

pmcmahon wrote: »
    too cheap to add the "R" tut.

...or the 'r'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

There are a few different ways you can do it, best way is to take turns if you're meeting up on a regular basis. If it's only the odd time one buys the drink and the other the alcohol. However if one side always cooks then the other side should pay and if they refuse to you can just change your habits and refuse to cook, order in next time.

It's seriously not worth falling out over.

chin_grin wrote: »
    You pay for what you ordered. Unless it was a pizza then it's split x ways (x is the amount of people.........But I'm sure you guessed that).

So if I invite people around and I cook then I pay.
    If I invite people around and order takeaway then everyone pays?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Depends really - When I'm at my sisters I'd say want to get Chinese and I'll pay - that mean I'd pay but she'd throw me a tenner or what not.

If somebody says wanna get chinese then you pay for what you order.

pretty much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

TheZohan wrote: »
    There are a few different ways you can do it, best way is to take turns if you're meeting up on a regular basis. If it's only the odd time one buys the drink and the other the alcohol. However if one side always cooks then the other side should pay and if they refuse to you can just change your habits and refuse to cook, order in next time.

It's seriously not worth falling out over.

So who buys the booze?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Everybody pays for what they order!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

Yep. But I'd usually bring wine or something if I'm invited for dinner at someone's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

Offer to pay your share & see what she says

This is not something that would trouble me though to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Society

"fancy coming over mine for x factor and we'll order a chinese?" Everyone pays for their own

"why don't you and xxx come over for dinner on saturday and we'll watch x factor" (but then you order chinese) You pay

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The simple solution is to make a takeaway style diner buy some plastic cartons or hang on to some the next time you go to the chipper. Then pretend you ordered stuff from the chipper and make them pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Insurgent wrote: »
    So who buys the booze?

Either can, but if the visitors get the booze in then you have to stick to those rules.

If I head over to family and we decide to get a takeaway then we divide the bill and all chip in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

You pay for what you order. Can't say I've ever had this problem, normally when my family gets together it's a race to foot the bill.

When I'm cooking dinner it's on me of course, but my guests never arrive empty-handed. Couple of bottles of wine/dessert/munchies/flowers for the cook, stuff like that. If your guests are regularly arriving to be fed and watered and offer nothing in return then they sound a bit mean, OP.

ScumLord wrote: »
    The simple solution is to make a takeaway style diner buy some plastic cartons or hang on to some the next time you go to the chipper. Then pretend you ordered stuff from the chipper and make them pay for it.

you truly are the scum lord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Whoever is doing the inviting should pay....

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

First world problem here ,id say just divide bill by 4 (or how many are there)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Invite them around to yours order in then say you left your wallet at home.

maxfresh wrote: »
    First world problem here ,id say just divide bill by 4 (or how many are there)

what about the chap who gets everything extra,balls to paying for his extra fat crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

If this question even arose and you were my sibling OP, I wouldnt invite you around for dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Shiner11

Do you know who REALLy pays for all this?

Your cholesterol levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

If I invite people round and decide to get a takeaway, I will pay for it.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    If this question even arose and you were my sibling OP, I wouldnt invite you around for dinner!

So if we were siblings and you invited me around for a takeaway and I asked "who pays?" you wouldn't invite me around any more?

In my experience, if you're cooking for someone it's free, but if you're ordering takeaway you pay for what you order.

If you're not willing to pay, don't order anything. Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If someone invites you over for a meal, then you are not going to turn empty handed. You would bring a desert, wine or something else.

Advertisement