Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We really are nothing more than chess pieces.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Biggins wrote: »
    Lack of good alternatives?

A good alternative is to stop complying. What's going to happen?.. they can't lock everyone up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

Callipo wrote: »
    When we became slaves. Tax is pretty much equal to slavery.

Or prostitution.

I prefer slavery though. You are giving your hard earned money into a melting pot and you don't really know where it goes.

You don't do it of your own free will either. :/
    at least with prostitution, at some stage you might get a good-looking punter and enjoy the ride. With slavery, it's just unending. And the pays crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Ste_D wrote: »
    Shame to see a valid point getting diluted with chess jokes.

Can anyone remember when we stopped being citizens and started being tax-payers? Now the govt just spend their time trying to separate us from our cash and convincing us its our 'duty'.

One of my Eastern European friends was only talking about that in work the other day......

Czech Mate :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ste_D wrote: »
    Shame to see a valid point getting diluted with chess jokes.

Can anyone remember when we stopped being citizens and started being tax-payers?
    I doubt anyone can remember back to before taxes were invented.
    Let's do away with taxes and have no services and no benefits for people who need them - including ourselves. Or some other hipster suggestion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Listening to current affairs programs used to be a welcome enjoyment for me. I'd always have an opinion on what 'the man' was doing to make things harder for us. Before now; and perhaps naively, I had always felt that no matter how insignificant I was, that my decision in where I was headed was mine to make.

Lately all I hear is how 'we need' to be made use of, to claw ourselves out of the hole that we have apparently created for ourselves. 'We need' to get people back to work.. 'we need' to train people so when the jobs return we can help everyone else out, 'we need' to make sacrifices now so that we never make the same mistakes again.

What the fcuk is it that 'we' are trying to save here? Why do people continue to support something which is so obviously broken?

spliff ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Veles wrote: »
    Its the smurfs i tell ye,they are the cause of this mess!!

I've cast a jealous eye on their secret smurfberry mines for a long long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What's worse - being nothing more than a chess piece or nothing more than a cheese piece?

It's one of life's greatest mysteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

I agree with the op but WE cant change that. Democracy sucks. Vote one shower in then change it for a one as bad with adifferent title

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Now we enter Endgame.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

I'm not a chess piece. I'm the Monopoly iron :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

What's worse - being nothing more than a chess piece or nothing more than a cheese piece?

It's one of life's greatest mysteries.

It's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

OP. You are correct, we are only pieces on a chess board, commodities to be used and dispenced of at the reckoning of a few.

Anarchy and Chaos is the only way, tear it all down and rebuild.

Oh!! Smoke on the Water, good man Hector, keep it lit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Listening to current affairs programs used to be a welcome enjoyment for me. I'd always have an opinion on what 'the man' was doing to make things harder for us. Before now; and perhaps naively, I had always felt that no matter how insignificant I was, that my decision in where I was headed was mine to make.

Lately all I hear is how 'we need' to be made use of, to claw ourselves out of the hole that we have apparently created for ourselves. 'We need' to get people back to work.. 'we need' to train people so when the jobs return we can help everyone else out, 'we need' to make sacrifices now so that we never make the same mistakes again.

What the fcuk is it that 'we' are trying to save here? Why do people continue to support something which is so obviously broken?

Now that's an opening gambit.

Anyway we're playing GO FOR BROKE in Ireland.

http://www.games2collect.com/Data/Compendium%20Items/Pictures/G/Go%20for%20broke%201985%20MB%20Games%2001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Solnskaya wrote: »
    and clock the whole"Italy thing". New govt is made up of unelected BANKERS, ECONOMISTS and BUSINESSMEN. WTF??? Is it just me who finds this seriously suussss???

Wouldn't they be better suited in a job like that? Rather than politicians whose only experience is in a primary school or as a <insert irrelevant job here>.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I may be wrong, but I believe the OP is wondering why it's a being seen as a collaborative effort to fix the mistakes of few. In a weird way, I agree with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

kjl wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but I believe the OP is wondering why it's a being seen as a collaborative effort to fix the mistakes of few.

Not just fix their mistakes, but help them get back to a stage where it's in their interests to do it all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

ok, I have thought this through.. I am willing to "do" Angela Merkle (sp?) in return for wiping the Irish debt clean (sarkozy can watch)

It is a selfless act by an Irish patriot, also make sure my name goes down in history when I die of disgusted.

Advertisement