Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We really are nothing more than chess pieces.

Options
  • 17-11-2011 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭

Listening to current affairs programs used to be a welcome enjoyment for me. I'd always have an opinion on what 'the man' was doing to make things harder for us. Before now; and perhaps naively, I had always felt that no matter how insignificant I was, that my decision in where I was headed was mine to make.

Lately all I hear is how 'we need' to be made use of, to claw ourselves out of the hole that we have apparently created for ourselves. 'We need' to get people back to work.. 'we need' to train people so when the jobs return we can help everyone else out, 'we need' to make sacrifices now so that we never make the same mistakes again.

What the fcuk is it that 'we' are trying to save here? Why do people continue to support something which is so obviously broken?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

1 e4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Lack of good alternatives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

I think I'll go bash the bishop then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Belief that things will get beter in the future ? ( even though there is a part of us as you describe that thinks otherwise )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

True dat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

not enough pawn in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Check mate

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Bagsie being the castle guy, you get the freedom of movement without the responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

Our destiny is not in our own hands anymore. The government acts on the whim of the markets etc. So many people seem to think we they have the magic wand to get things back to normal...but most of them are deluded or lying to get votes. That's what politics is all about, right? Getting votes to be elected to get MAJOR paid? Gangster system if you ask me, a well-disguised one. This is part of what they call "freedom"...freedom for the banks and multinational corporations to rape and pillage us. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Pherekydes wrote: »
    1 e4
    You sunk my battleship!

• Advertisement

and clock the whole"Italy thing". New govt is made up of unelected BANKERS, ECONOMISTS and BUSINESSMEN. WTF??? Is it just me who finds this seriously suussss???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

phasers wrote: »
    Bagsie being the castle guy, you get the freedom of movement without the responsibility.
    Knight FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I bags the stallion,

Horse yoke thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I didn't really read the op, but I often wonder why we all have to work so hard if life is meaningless.

Edit: Incidently when I say "we" I mean the human race. I, of course, don't do a tap.

Ghandee wrote: »
    I bags the stallion,

Horse yoke thing.
    Too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

If we finish playing Chess and start playing Monopoly I want to be the Car

If we finish playing Chess and start playing Monopoly I want to be the Car

^^ Pure Baltic Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mongo is just a pawn in the game of life.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Horsey takes King Prawn

Pawns at least get to play. We don't. ;)

• Advertisement

Queen takes Queen.
    *cough*

> Cuckoo's nest. Won't be long now.

Johro wrote: »
    Queen takes Queen.
    *cough*

I think you want this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056453467

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Listening to current affairs programs used to be a welcome enjoyment for me. I'd always have an opinion on what 'the man' was doing to make things harder for us. Before now; and perhaps naively, I had always felt that no matter how insignificant I was, that my decision in where I was headed was mine to make.

Lately all I hear is how 'we need' to be made use of, to claw ourselves out of the hole that we have apparently created for ourselves. 'We need' to get people back to work.. 'we need' to train people so when the jobs return we can help everyone else out, 'we need' to make sacrifices now so that we never make the same mistakes again.

What the fcuk is it that 'we' are trying to save here? Why do people continue to support something which is so obviously broken?

Not everything's black or white.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Ste_D

Shame to see a valid point getting diluted with chess jokes.

Can anyone remember when we stopped being citizens and started being tax-payers? Now the govt just spend their time trying to separate us from our cash and convincing us its our 'duty'.

Ste_D wrote: »

Can anyone remember when we stopped being citizens and started being tax-payers? Now the govt just spend their time trying to separate us from our cash and convincing us its our 'duty'.
    that was all en passant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Not everything's black or white.

I Am Tired Of This Devil
    I Am Tired Of This Stuff
    I Am Tired Of This Business
    So When The
    Going Gets Rough
    I Ain't Scared Of
    Your Brother
    I Ain't Scared Of No Sheets
    I Ain't Scare Of Nobody
    Girl When The
    Goin' Gets Mean

[L. T. B. Rap Performance]
    Protection
    For Gangs, Clubs
    And Nations
    Causing Grief In
    Human Relations
    It's A Turf War
    On A Global Scale
    I'd Rather Hear Both Sides
    Of The Tale
    See, It's Not About Races
    Just Places
    Faces
    Where Your Blood
    Comes From
    Is Where Your Space Is
    I've Seen The Bright
    Get Duller
    I'm Not Going To Spend
    My Life Being A Color

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It's 'we' for socialized losses and 'me' for repatriated or transferred profits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Callipo

Ste_D wrote: »

When we became slaves. Tax is pretty much equal to slavery.

Or prostitution.

I prefer slavery though. You are giving your hard earned money into a melting pot and you don't really know where it goes.

You don't do it of your own free will either. :/

Advertisement