Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you deal with 'Tailgaters' ?

Options
  • 11-12-2014 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭

Driving home the other night, pouring with rain really wet roads had a car tailgating me, right up the Ars* of my car, if I had to break suddenly absolutely no way he/she would have stopped in time. It was long 50km/h stretch , no-where to pull in and let them overtake, and i was driving close to 50km/h so i wasnt dawdling - what have you found the best way to deal with people like this? - who's fault in an 'accident' caused by this? is it always the car drivers fault thats travelling behind?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Slow down gradually to reduce any damage / stopping distance in the event of an impact, and drive tight left to let them know they can overtake if they want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Deploy a barrage of thumbtacks and oil slick from the rear of my car usually, Wacky Races style.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't brake check them because that is dangerous, but I do find myself getting slower and slower when there is a tailgater behind me. I'm in no rush, so they can sit behind me and dawdle if they want to drive like dicks.

Tapping the brake pedal without actually applying the brakes usually does the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

I have a device that sprays oil all over the road behind me when this happens.
    But then I have a thing to get rid of unwanted passengers as well, and machine guns behind the front grill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Engage the windscreen washers initially is normally what I do. Some people tend to hang back after that.

If they hit you from behind then they are normally in the wrong because they haven't allow enough space to control their own car if an incident happens ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Don't know how to do deal with them myself but...now you might think this as dramatic...but they are the scum of the Earth.
    90% of drive a combination of Audi or BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Rear fog lights turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Pull into the nearest hard shoulder momentarily to allow them to pass. What's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

iDave wrote: »
    Don't know how to do deal with them myself but...now you might think this as dramatic...but they are the scum of the Earth.

Slightly dramatic yes.

Whats a combination of Audi or BMW? Baudi?

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Pump the brake pedal without actually engaging the brakes - makes most people back off to a reasonable distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

The Russian method is probably the most effective in these cases.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Pull into the nearest hard shoulder momentarily to allow them to pass. What's the issue?

I hope you're joking! If they are doing the correct speed for conditions, why should they pull over? There's always someone who wants to go faster, doesn't mean you have to take any evasive maneuvers.

I tend to slow down slightly. I may also engage the brake light, but not brake, if I feel they are dangerously close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

What about caution / hazard lights , this usually gives the message to back - off. Then pull in let them pass, follow them with your headlights on until you drive them off the road. Get out , take hurley from the boot and finish them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I have an LED display in my back window.

I click a button on my steering wheel and it flashes 'Back Off Buddy' in red letters.

It can be changed to say other things but I keep that one as a default.

Very handy.

AnonoBoy wrote: »

I click a button on my steering wheel and it flashes 'Back Off Buddy' in red letters.

Very handy.

Where would one purchase such a device?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

I simply hold a severed head out of the window, to show that I am not one to be Fúcked with! It usually does the trick.

Where would one purchase such a device?

In my imagination sadly.

In my imagination sadly.

That's disappointing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Very few 50km/h zones have a hard shoulder. Anyway driving on the hard shoulder is a motoring offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

buck65 wrote: »
    What about caution / hazard lights , this usually gives the message to back - off. Then pull in let them pass, follow them with your headlights on until you drive them off the road. Get out , take hurley from the boot and finish them off.

I'm Intrigued by this Hurley Idea,,

21/25

Very handy.

It exists!!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/12V-Car-Red-LED-Programmable-Message-Sign-Scrolling-Display-Board-with-remote-/251058089393

That's disappointing

Actually.... I spoke too soon!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/d138/

There you go.

Not sure if you can legally use 'em in Ireland though - it might be a distraction or an incitement to road rage.

an incitement to road rage.

So do baby/lil princess on board signs but they're legal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Driving home the other night, pouring with rain really wet roads had a car tailgating me, right up the Ars* of my car, if I had to break suddenly absolutely no way he/she would have stopped in time. It was long 50km/h stretch , no-where to pull in and let them overtake, and i was driving close to 50km/h so i wasnt dawdling - what have you found the best way to deal with people like this? - who's fault in an 'accident' caused by this? is it always the car drivers fault thats travelling behind?

Dont' drive like a pussssy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

iDave wrote: »

An AUBM or a BUMDI?

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Actually.... I spoke too soon!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/d138/

There you go.

Not sure if you can legally use 'em in Ireland though - it might be a distraction or an incitement to road rage.

That thing would be a magnet for every ****wit driver in the area, tailgating you to see what face or writing it would display next....

Carpentry wrote: »
    Dont' drive like a pussssy

Something tells me I'll be using my now not-imaginary back off sign on you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Dont' drive like a pussssy :-P

• Advertisement

mike_ie wrote: »
    That thing would be a magnet for every ****wit driver in the area, tailgating you to see what face or writing it would display next....

That is probably true.

I would love to have one to deal with those 'full beams right behind you' idiots though.

Advertisement