Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Capabilities under Lisbon

Options
  • 12-06-2008 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

“Member States shall undertake progressively to improve their military capabilities”

This is a vague-ish statement. Are there any specific targets we have to meet re. military spending, troop numbers, hardware capababilities etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

RayMc wrote: »
    “Member States shall undertake progressively to improve their military capabilities”

This is a vague-ish statement. Are there any specific targets we have to meet re. military spending, troop numbers, hardware capababilities etc?
    Nothing in the treaty but once signed it allows detailed proposals to be brought forward though.

You could also claim it's as vague as the *safegaurds* *cough* given to workers rights.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No specific requirements, ie spending.
    'undertake progressively to improve their military capabilities' is already the goal of our military.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Nope, we can give our soldiers a pack of fire lighters and we've technically fulfilled our obligations. We are not required to increase spending one bit.

johnnyq wrote: »
    Nothing in the treaty but once signed it allows detailed proposals to be brought forward though.

You could also claim it's as vague as the *safegaurds* *cough* given to workers rights.
    And I think we both know which direction the eu is headed lately.

The french already have military proposals planned for their presidency in two weeks. The BBC leaked them a few days ago

And I think we both know which direction the eu is headed lately.

The french already have military proposals planned for their presidency in two weeks. The BBC leaked them a few days ago

We retain a veto over military matters don't forget.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

There are no targets. There's no strict requirement that any money be spent either just that the military capabilities be improved.

Odds are, that will require spending money. Whether it will require spending any more money than we have so far (the military has got a bunch of new kit recently) remains to be seen.

I view that clause as preventing a nation from saying "Oh well, we have the common defence bits now* why bother spending anything on a military. If anything goes wrong all of the other member states will hop in for us."

* Common defence bits don't apply to Ireland anyway, so the nation I'm talking about couldn't be us.

sink wrote: »
    Look how hard the farmers had to fight to get a promise and just a promise (A FF one at that) just to use the veto.

I wouldn't trust Biffo to stand up to France etc.. on this issue in a fit

Look how hard the farmers had to fight to get a promise and just a promise (A FF one at that) just to use the veto.

I wouldn't trust Biffo to stand up to France etc.. on this issue in a fit

That is opinion I'm just stating the facts.

Lisbon - "Good for Ireland, Good for Europe" is certainly up for discussion as an opinion too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

So is your opinion on what the original text means. Which in FACT is vague. All else is speculation and opinion.

• Advertisement

Lisbon - "Good for Ireland, Good for Europe" is certainly up for discussion as an opinion too.

Of course it is, I'm not arguing that. Imo it is, in your opinion it's not, we both have our reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

All "Law" is open to interpretation...

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    All "Law" is open to interpretation...
    I could easily imagine a court ruling that a pack of fire lighters was not enough and not in the *spirit* of the proposal.

It just says so much about where the EU is headed without the necessary democratic safeguards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

I could easily imagine a court ruling that a pack of fire lighters was not enough and not in the *spirit* of the proposal.

It just says so much about where the EU is headed without the necessary democratic safeguards.

+1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Realistically we are already spending money on improving our military, we will continue to do so, we fulfil this term.

What democratic safeguards are not in place. I can guarantee you it would be alot harder for 27 democratically elected leaders to agree on using force than one democratically elected leader.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Is he not saying it right? :confused:

marco_polo wrote: »
    Is he not saying it right? :confused:
    we retain a veto about eu war missions NOT about the proposal to increase capabilities.

we retain a veto about eu war missions NOT about the proposal to increase capabilities.

We retain all veto's on military matters, the courts are independent anyway we can't influence them. The only military veto we don't keep is to do with the structure of the EDA and battlegroups.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

The ECJ cannot rule on matters involving defence. The EU Parliament cannot rule on matters involving defence. On the Council we have a veto.

The EDA is an advisory and research body only and has no power to issue binding targets.

People have complained this means that we're signing up to this "with reservations". They're quite right, we are signing up to this "with reservations" - and those reservations (we're a small neutral country with no militaristic tradition) are well known and accepted by our EU partners.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Is it true that Ireland has ever exercised a veto? I heard that somewhere, I think on the news. Probably wrong, I would imagine.

turgon wrote: »
    Is it true that Ireland has ever exercised a veto? I heard that somewhere, I think on the news. Probably wrong, I would imagine.

That is because we negotiate to find consensus. Things generally don't get put to a vote without consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

When it comes to improving our military I doubt we can really veto when we will agree to it by accepting the treaty today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭VoidStarNull

turgon wrote: »

If the Lisbon Treaty passes, meetings and votes of the Council of Ministers will be held in public. So everyone will get to see exactly when and what we choose to veto.

If the Lisbon Treaty passes, meetings and votes of the Council of Ministers will be held in public. So everyone will get to see exactly when and what we choose to veto.

Yes but they could have done that with one simple ammendment not a big treaty

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ShooterSF wrote: »
    And then there'd be another amendment, and then another, and then another, and then...

The treaty is designed to outline a plan for restructuring the Union. Doing it piecemeal is the least efficent way possible.

Currently the treaties can't be amended by any other means than another treaty. The Lisbon treaty allows single amendments to be made at a time. This is the much criticized 'self amending clause' which has unjustly come under fire as the amendments will still require ratification by member states through the usual methods. So what you are asking can't be done without the Lisbon treaty or another treaty. If Lisbon is rejected it will take several years before any other treaty is even thought of.

Currently the treaties can't be amended by any other means than another treaty. The Lisbon treaty allows single amendments to be made at a time. This is the much criticized 'self amending clause' which has unjustly come under fire as the amendments will still require ratification by member states through the usual methods. So what you are asking can't be done without the Lisbon treaty or another treaty. If Lisbon is rejected it will take several years before any other treaty is even thought of.

My bad, though surely it could have been a single lined treaty. Theres no minimum of so many words surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My bad, though surely it could have been a single lined treaty. Theres no minimum of so many words surely.
    What do you mean? As in a single line saying, "This treaty can be amended without referendum?".

• Advertisement

I'm not entirely sure what the legal differences between a treaty and an amendment are, but I have been told that a treaty is far more costly and difficult to draw up because it involves thousands of lawyers/solicitors and diplomats. Where as an amendment can be dealt with exclusively by elected officials on advice from legal professionals. I was told this by a diplomat so I take his word for it. That is why they lump everything together in one treaty.

Advertisement