Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long till galway 2in an all ireand?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Always liked Galway football from a Meath perspective. Decent, gracious fans and always played a good brand of football.
    Stopped Kildare winning an All Ireland which we are eternally grateful for and keep Mayo honest out west (well used to).
    Interesting how the 2001 final seemed to kill off 2 footballing dynasties. Neither county has had a sniff of an All Ireland since and both going round in circles, false dawns here and there and managerial merry-go-rounds.
    The qualifier in Navan in 2012 was possibly the most depressing game of football I ever saw as two former great floundered for 70 mins both trying to lose it it seemed.
    U-21 success gives a springboard to success but nothing more. At the very least lets hope they can come out of Mayos shadow in Connacht and break the streak they have there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

iDave wrote: »
    Always liked Galway football from a Meath perspective. Decent, gracious fans and always played a good brand of football.
    Stopped Kildare winning an All Ireland which we are eternally grateful for and keep Mayo honest out west (well used to).
    Interesting how the 2001 final seemed to kill off 2 footballing dynasties. Neither county has had a sniff of an All Ireland since and both going round in circles, false dawns here and there and managerial merry-go-rounds.
    The qualifier in Navan in 2012 was possibly the most depressing game of football I ever saw as two former great floundered for 70 mins both trying to lose it it seemed.
    U-21 success gives a springboard to success but nothing more. At the very least lets hope they can come out of Mayos shadow in Connacht and break the streak they have there.
    Roscommon are probably more likely to do that out west.
    Galway always upped their game once out of Connacht but they've had an average team for the last 12 years with some very average managers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

I've always considered Galway hurling to be overrated to be honest. 2012 was an unbelievable year for them and they could very well have won the all ireland, but looking at their team I just can't understand how. When people say that they should be winning all irelands, I just think of the teams that were, and Galway have nothing like the strength of players. Joe Canning is possibly the best in the country, but Ollie Canning was the only other in the last 10 years or so that I'd have regarded as top class, that I'd actually have felt would have improved a top side. Compare that to KK or Cork - Cork from 1-9 were superb at their best and KK had about 13 starters that were top class at theirs. When people say that Galway should have won an all ireland, I just wonder how people think that they should have won ahead of these teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Rightwing wrote: »
    Losing key players, all great teams eventually decline. That's not to say they won't be a threat, they'll be the team to beat, but they will be beatable.

I don't think they are in decline all that much, just the other teams have gotten a good bit stronger, so they are far more beatable than say in the 2005 - 2008 period when they were miles ahead of the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭robbiezero

blue note wrote: »
    I've always considered Galway hurling to be overrated to be honest. 2012 was an unbelievable year for them and they could very well have won the all ireland, but looking at their team I just can't understand how. When people say that they should be winning all irelands, I just think of the teams that were, and Galway have nothing like the strength of players. Joe Canning is possibly the best in the country, but Ollie Canning was the only other in the last 10 years or so that I'd have regarded as top class, that I'd actually have felt would have improved a top side. Compare that to KK or Cork - Cork from 1-9 were superb at their best and KK had about 13 starters that were top class at theirs. When people say that Galway should have won an all ireland, I just wonder how people think that they should have won ahead of these teams.

Would have a good few players ahead of him. Goes missing too often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

From the footballing point of view I think they have an opportunity to make a bit of progress this year.

It all revolves around their Connaught Sf v Mayo (if they beat NY and Leitrim beforehand of course)

They will be playing their 3rd game v Mayo on June 14th where as Mayo will be only starting, we don't know what Mayo will be like after the managerial change etc, and it's in Galway.

If they win that they will play Rosconon or Sligo in a Connaught Final, and if I'm not mistaken the Roscommon matchup would be in Galway.
    I'm not sure oif a Slkigo match would be in Galway or Castlebar.

So they have a good chance of winning Connaught, if they do that then they play a B side qualifier in the QF
    B is the tougher side of the draw again as it seems loaded with nordies.

But there is still the possibility of a weaker team making it through that side, and there is the possibility of facing Mayo again at that point.

If you get past the QF then it's a SF most likely v Dublin.
    And if they get that far that will be good progress for the year and the new manager.

But if they lose to Mayo on June 14th then it's a tough task in the B side and the Ulster or Connaught champ in the QF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭MfMan

robbiezero wrote: »
    Would have a good few players ahead of him. Goes missing too often.

No he doesn't. It's the supporting cast that disappears. Getting fed up at this stage I'd say of trying to be everywhere on the field and having to carry the team. Time and time again I say this, count back at the end of a game and see all that he has done and you will see his influence. If there's 6 better forwards in the country, then the game is rich in personnel indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Roscommon are probably more likely to do that out west.

No chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

No chance.

Mayo only beat them by a point in 2014.
    Mayo haven't beaten them at U21 level in 4 years, or something

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Mayo only beat them by a point in 2014.
    Mayo haven't beaten them at U21 level in 4 years, or something

I wouldn't use that as a barometer, Mayo were pathetic that day and still managed to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I wouldn't use that as a barometer, Mayo were pathetic that day and still managed to win.

In fairness the rossies had a good defensive system in place that day. Galway have major issues in defence and until that's sorted out Galway wont be winning Connacht. Galway,Roscommon are both division two sides now and it would be good for Connacht football if both were promoted to division one. Sligo are capable of rising to division two also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

jimpump wrote: »
    Its been a while now but with size of the founty, good clubs and some excellent players I used ant understand it. Biggest unerachievers in the GAA

Corofin aside, the standard of club football in Galway is atrocious.

In fairness the rossies had a good defensive system in place that day. Galway have major issues in defence and until that's sorted out Galway wont be winning Connacht. Galway,Roscommon are both division two sides now and it would be good for Connacht football if both were promoted to division one. Sligo are capable of rising to division two also.

True enough.

Galway gave up near a FT score against Kerry in 10mins in the 1/4, not good enough.
    The only team to show up that day and try to man mark instead of marking space/employing additional defenders.

Just braindead stuff from Mulholland.

It's not as if we were defending to perfection 1 to 1 up to that game, you could have went back to 2013 when Mayo put up a hurling score or even just to the Meath league game when they could have scored about 9 goals in the first half alone(which is unheard of unless someone is playing Kilkenny).
    djPSB wrote: »

Same can be said for plenty of other counties in both codes.

I heard the last day a Tipp hurling club haven't won an AI since the 80s.

The Mayo Co. Final this year was atrocious with something like 5 points scored in the entire second half.
    That hasn't stopped them challenging each year for a fair length of time now.

Heck ppl are on about Roscommon in this thread, when has anybody outside of Brigids challenged there?.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

djPSB wrote: »

I was on about the galway hurling teams but galway football aint as bad as you think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭MfMan

jimpump wrote: »
    I was on about the galway hurling teams but galway football aint as bad as you think

Considering that Galway drew with the eventual AI champs this year, maybe the hurling isn't as bad as you think either....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

MfMan wrote: »
    Considering that Galway drew with the eventual AI champs this year, maybe the hurling isn't as bad as you think either....

Then again all they've beaten is Laois in the last two years. So I guess it depends what way you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Size of Galway me arse. Dual county spilt quite strongly between the two codes. With a 250k population and pro rugby becoming strong in the city Galway are far from a statistical powerhouse.

Mayo with essentially one show in town stand in a far better position if being regularly competitive for AIs is the goal.

Advertisement