Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long till galway 2in an all ireand?

Options
  • 21-11-2014 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

Its been a while now but with size of the founty, good clubs and some excellent players I used ant understand it. Biggest unerachievers in the GAA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Dublin are the biggest underachievers in the GAA in my opinion.

3 All Ireland senior football titles in 31 years is appalling for a county of that size, money and resources. the hurling Return on investment is also exceptionally poor.

regarding Galway, i think they missed their chance in the hurling and i cant see their footballers challenging for an all ireland final for another 5 years plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

It depends. What branch of gaa are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

It depends. What branch of gaa are you talking about?

Both. The hurling team are the biggests chokers evr

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

jimpump wrote: »
    Its been a while now but with size of the founty, good clubs and some excellent players I used ant understand it. Biggest unerachievers in the GAA

The Galway hurlers have been in 3 AI finals in the past 14 years. Lost the 3 finals but there are plenty of hurling counties with worse records than that to be fair.

Footballers will win another All-Ireland when they are ready to. These things are usually cyclical as far as the footballers go. We get a great crop every now and then and in between we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

jimpump wrote: »
    Biggest unerachievers in the GAA

Have you forgotten about your lovely neighbours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

At the moment I'd say its a good bit away for both sides.

The hurlers missed the boat in 2012 and there isn't going to be any significant improvements to the squad from last year. Also the same management is in place whose tactics have been well and truly found out at this stage. Momentum is a big thing though as we have seen in recent years and no-one saw Galway coming with a run in 2012. When expectations are low in Galway, it can often be a good year but at this stage I'd say its very likely that Joe Canning will end his playing career without winning an All-Ireland medal.

In terms of the football still think its a bit away also. Have made some improvements but really against Mayo and Kerry were kept at arms length easily enough. The overall quality just isn't there at the moment but Galway have a young side and with proper coaching and strength and conditioning should hopefully be seen a bit more regularly in Croke Park at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

The hurlers aren't up to it. Won't win one for a long time imo.

I'd be more worried about the footballers winning a Connacht title first. It's far too long since we've won it and it'd be a real monkey off the back. Hopefully in 2015 we give that a good go.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

I think the hurlers have a chance over the next 2 to 3 years. The footballers at the moment seem a long way off. They would be about the 9th best team in the Country. Although some good success with the under 21s in recent years, Kevin Walsh has a big job on his hands to change the style of Galway football, which can look great but wont win much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

On the face of it, the hurlers look miles away from an All Ireland.
    However people said the same about Cork and Clare ahead of last year and they contested the final, so you never know.

Isn't club bitterness supposed to be somewhat of an issue in Galway.

Similarly the footballers look miles off an All-Ireland, but you never know.
    They actually gave Kerry a good game of it this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

The hurlers could win it before to long, hard to believe theyve won so few with all the mighty players what were on the portumma teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The footballers are a few years away from walking into being talked of as All-Ireland challengers but are gradually progressing every season since a harrowing defeat to Antrim whereas the hurlers have a mental block that can turn All Stars into nothing players. Johnny Coen and David Burke not kicking on after 2012 is one of the sadder things I've witnessed as a Galway supporter. Really hoped losing Niall Donoghue would inspire them a bit but sadly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭randd1

Not sure about the hurlers, as they simply just haven't produced real top quality, consistent defenders since the 80's with the very notable exception of the brilliant Ollie Canning.

Forwards and midfielders that can do the job on any given day, but never defenders from which to fall back on when the forwards aren't doing it, which is often unfortunately for Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Do we still have a hurling team???!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,775 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

T0001 wrote: »
    Do we still have a hurling team???!!!

Yes, but things have just reverted to their natural order. Galway only ever won All Irelands in 1923, 1980,1987 and 1988.

In football I would regard Cork as the biggest underachievers. They have only seven All Irelands, Galway have nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Galway hurling semi-finals only taking place today, late November.:confused:
    How many weeks have passed since the seniors were knocked out of the championship.?? Galway would have only half the senior clubs that Tipp have, yet the Tipp c/ship is over and Thurles played 1 match in the Munster championship. Same with Kilkenny, county final played with Ballyhale playing their second Leinster championship today. Unbelievable when you consider Tipp and Kilkenny contested the A.I. final (which also went to a replay)
    You just couldn't make it up, if the Galway county board cant get things like this right, then what hope is there of an A.I. senior title.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

washman3 wrote: »
    How many weeks have passed since the seniors were knocked out of the championship.?? Galway would have only half the senior clubs that Tipp have, yet the Tipp c/ship is over and Thurles played 1 match in the Munster championship. Same with Kilkenny, county final played with Ballyhale playing their second Leinster championship today. Unbelievable when you consider Tipp and Kilkenny contested the A.I. final (which also went to a replay)
    You just couldn't make it up, if the Galway county board cant get things like this right, then what hope is there of an A.I. senior title.?

There was an issue with a club being thrown out who then appealed to the County Board, the Connacht board and finally the DRA only to be unsuccessful. Portumna are in the final having beaten Craughwell at least a month ago on the other side of the draw.

Also today is Ballyhales first game in Leinster, having won the County last weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

There was an issue with a club being thrown out who then appealed to the County Board, the Connacht board and finally the DRA only to be unsuccessful. Portumna are in the final having beaten Craughwell at least a month ago on the other side of the draw.

Also today is Ballyhales first game in Leinster, having won the County last weekends.

There still doing 'objections' up there.?? thought that ****e ended years ago. if you lose, you lose. That definitely says it all about their 'system'.
    I stand corrected on the Ballyhale point.
    Kilmallock play the Munster final today and Limerick contested the A.I. semi.
    Simply no excuse for county semis in late November, when we had the best summer in 25 years.

There still doing 'objections' up there.?? thought that ****e ended years ago. if you lose, you lose. That definitely says it all about their 'system'.
    I stand corrected on the Ballyhale point.
    Kilmallock play the Munster final today and Limerick contested the A.I. semi.
    Simply no excuse for county semis in late November, when we had the best summer in 25 years.

It wasn't that they lost it was that they fielded an ineligible player and got kicked out.

Galway don't have to meet the time constraints other counties have to as there is no Connacht championship so it makes no difference to them really. Maybe even more of an advantage to have the last competitive game as long as it can be into the year. Tipp sacrificed football to get a team out for Munster. Kilkenny have no football to sacrifice.

If Waterford did what Tipp did we could have had the hurling done by the end of August, but it's all relative to the targets you've to meet. Really don't think this was the County Board's fault to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

randd1 wrote: »
    Not sure about the hurlers, as they simply just haven't produced real top quality, consistent defenders since the 80's with the very notable exception of the brilliant Ollie Canning.

Forwards and midfielders that can do the job on any given day, but never defenders from which to fall back on when the forwards aren't doing it, which is often unfortunately for Galway.

One of the more sensible posts. Yes, good defenders have been a scarcity for a while in Galway, particularly 3 & 6, and 2 of our better ones, Moore and Collins, are in the evening of their careers. We used always have useful forwards, but even these have dried up a bit. Footballers I think are on a more upward trajectory, and a few more better players are starting to come through. A proper CHB is badly needed though.

Think both sets of fans lost faith a lot in the respective managers, Mulholland is gone but Cunningham remains.

Doubt if the OP is from Galway btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

Brian Cody won the All-Ireland in 2012 for Kilkenny. If it wasn't for him I don't think any other manager for Kilkenny could have baeten Galway. 2013 was a disaster. They still managed to draw with Kilkenny this year who were eventual champions. Galway arent as far off the Liam as some of ye are suggesting. Theres only a puck of a ball between them Clare and Cork. Kilkenny and Tipp and maybe Limerick are just a small level above.
    In my opinion Joe Canning needs to start producing to his peak level. Its a bit harsh to single him out but if he wants to be among the greats of the game he needs to pull the rabbit out of the hat for Galway. How many times did Shefflin do it for Kilkenny when the team wasnt performing?

As for the football, I think Galway are still miles behind the rest. Mayo beat them comfortably and they were playing in 3rd gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Galway are 1 of 6 hurling counties that can certainly win the AI. Others are Clare/Cork/LK/Tipp/KK. Waterford seem to have missed their chance which is a pity. Dublin don't have the natural skill so we can forget about them.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Galway are 1 of 6 hurling counties that can certainly win the AI. Others are Clare/Cork/LK/Tipp/KK. Waterford seem to have missed their chance which is a pity. Dublin don't have the natural skill so we can forget about them.

It only took Clare 4 short years to win an all Ireland after their u21 break through, the very same year they lost every competitive game they played in with the exception of a relegation game v Wexford I think which turned out to be a farce in that there was no relegation. Even two years later, Galway beat they by about 20 points. And the year before they won the all Ireland, Waterford beat them.

I don't think it would take much for teams to be back in the fray, but certainly Galway are in with a shout. Last year they were dire, be willing to cut them more slack this year but few key areas they need to improve on. I think they do have the forwards to be honest, but as has been said full back and center back remains an issue though they are trying to address it. I would also add midfield into that.

It only took Clare 4 short years to win an all Ireland after their u21 break through, the very same year they lost every competitive game they played in with the exception of a relegation game v Wexford I think which turned out to be a farce in that there was no relegation. Even two years later, Galway beat they by about 20 points. And the year before they won the all Ireland, Waterford beat them.

I don't think it would take much for teams to be back in the fray, but certainly Galway are in with a shout. Last year they were dire, be willing to cut them more slack this year but few key areas they need to improve on. I think they do have the forwards to be honest, but as has been said full back and center back remains an issue though they are trying to address it. I would also add midfield into that.

Very true.
    What will open it up for counties like Galway is KK are on the decline now. They won't monopolise the AI like they have. They'll still probably win more than anyone else over the next 8-10 years, but I'd expect a much wider spread of winners.

Very true.
    What will open it up for counties like Galway is KK are on the decline now. They won't monopolise the AI like they have. They'll still probably win more than anyone else over the next 8-10 years, but I'd expect a much wider spread of winners.

Would agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

KK are on the decline now.

How are they on a decline???

deadybai wrote: »

Don't want to turn the thread into Kilkenny versus everyone else but I think its a fair enough argument.

They have won 3 of the last 4 all irelands, and the Minors winning this year is a boon as is Cody staying on. But this year they drew twice, including the all Ireland. Last year they were beaten twice.

They drew the all Ireland in 2012 before winning the replay. They've had four games in the last 3 years in Leinster they haven't won, losing two.

They have come down a level, to be fair they had to. But they are absolute dogs that take an awful lot of beating with plenty of talent still their and deserve respect as all Ireland champions. But I do feel that we're looking at a situation where you feel a few teams could win the all Ireland.

In terms of the use decline, it's not a sharp decline and not sure how much further it will go, this year was some response to last year to be fair and all without Walsh and Shefflin. But they're not at 2009 levels, which I think is fair to say.

deadybai wrote: »

Losing key players, all great teams eventually decline. That's not to say they won't be a threat, they'll be the team to beat, but they will be beatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Dublin don't have the natural skill so we can forget about them.
    Whatever that means :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Tipp have 40+ senior clubs?

Advertisement